Longtime Lurker

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wordyworm

Hi, I'm wordyworm and I've finally decided to take the plunge and make an account after all these years of lurking on OJ. I'm waskonedo on tumblr and AO3, and I'm a tiny bit obsessed with Mihawk. I don't think there's anything about him that I don't know! That said, I'm not into power level discussions or bounty discussions, or is-shanks-a-swordsman discussions, and sometimes it's hard to find people who want to discuss the character himself. It really doesn't matter to me where he ranks with other fans or even what his bounty is-- I just think he's a fascinating character

I recently did a Mihawk event on tumblr, but I was kind of hoping for more discussions on my theories and analysis, and tumblr just isn't set up for that. I'd like to share that kind of thing here, if someone could point me in the right direction. Would any of these topics be interesting to the community here? Is it OK to repost old stuff that I posted somewhere else already?
https://waskonedo-ttf.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F189885951221
I also really love discussing translation choices (not picking translations apart, but just discussing them. I've done translation and it's not an easy job! It's more of an art than people realize). And I'm super into fan theories, even the wildest ones, along with talking about OP in the literary sense. So, yeah, that's me! I sometimes might take a bit to reply bc I'm disabled, btw, but I will eventually!

Hi, I'm wordyworm and I've finally decided to take the plunge and make an account after all these years of lurking on OJ. I'm waskonedo on tumblr and AO3, and I'm a tiny bit obsessed with Mihawk. I don't think there's anything about him that I don't know! That said, I'm not into power level discussions or bounty discussions, or is-shanks-a-swordsman discussions, and sometimes it's hard to find people who want to discuss the character himself. It really doesn't matter to me where he ranks with other fans or even what his bounty is-- I just think he's a fascinating character

I recently did a Mihawk event on tumblr, but I was kind of hoping for more discussions on my theories and analysis, and tumblr just isn't set up for that. I'd like to share that kind of thing here, if someone could point me in the right direction. Would any of these topics be interesting to the community here? Is it OK to repost old stuff that I posted somewhere else already?
I also really love discussing translation choices (not picking translations apart, but just discussing them. I've done translation and it's not an easy job! It's more of an art than people realize). And I'm super into fan theories, even the wildest ones, along with talking about OP in the literary sense. So, yeah, that's me! I sometimes might take a bit to reply bc I'm disabled, btw, but I will eventually!
Bienvenido en el espacio de discusion : Wōsutu Generation ( ヲスツ ゲネラション)

You like Mihawk ? Obsessed with him even ?

:sus:

Is it is design ( personnaly I like his shirt ) ? Is it because he is one of the strongest character ( a given ) + he is relaxed and Bad ass ?
He is because he is cold as a rock ? He is it because at some point he will be Itachi of One Piece, and sacrifice Himself for Shanksu because Shanksu has been an oponent yes, but his only and best friend ?

W

wordyworm

Bienvenido en el espacio de discusion : Wōsutu Generation ( ヲスツ ゲネラション)

You like Mihawk ? Obsessed with him even ?

:sus:

Is it is design ( personnaly I like his shirt ) ? Is it because he is one of the strongest character ( a given ) + he is relaxed and Bad ass ?
He is because he is cold as a rock ? He is it because at some point he will be Itachi of One Piece, and sacrifice Himself for Shanksu because Shanksu has been an oponent yes, but his only and best friend ?
Yes, his design is great! But I really like his character type, his Japanese language use, and his attitude. He's actually really funny to me with his deadpan humor. You think he'll sacrifice himself for Shanks? I suppose that could happen, but seems like a longshot. If Mihawk has to die in the series, he's gotta go down in a 1v1 that's his own fight, I think.

Yes, his design is great! But I really like his character type, his Japanese language use, and his attitude. He's actually really funny to me with his deadpan humor. You think he'll sacrifice himself for Shanks? I suppose that could happen, but seems like a longshot. If Mihawk has to die in the series, he's gotta go down in a 1v1 that's his own fight, I think.
His Japanese language use -> that I'm. It able to understand today.

The thing is : Today, Shiryu and Zoro are his mains possible oponents.

If Shiryu were to fight Mihawk and beat him, I don't see an honorable victory from Shiryu, an that would be a very safe thing for Mihawk fan to see him dying by a foul weaker than he is.

If Zoro were to fight Mihawk he would win but he would probably not kill his master. Then we would have Zoro + Mihawk searching on the seas for formidable oponents. Impossible.

Mihawk with Weevil is possible because if I recall correctly : Mihawk wanted to test Whitebeard strenght, and Weevil strenght is what seem to be the closer.

Or another Swordman come in to the game like Kyoushiro.

W

wordyworm

His Japanese language use -> that I'm. It able to understand today.

The thing is : Today, Shiryu and Zoro are his mains possible oponents.

If Shiryu were to fight Mihawk and beat him, I don't see an honorable victory from Shiryu, an that would be a very safe thing for Mihawk fan to see him dying by a foul weaker than he is.

If Zoro were to fight Mihawk he would win but he would probably not kill his master. Then we would have Zoro + Mihawk searching on the seas for formidable oponents. Impossible.

Mihawk with Weevil is possible because if I recall correctly : Mihawk wanted to test Whitebeard strenght, and Weevil strenght is what seem to be the closer.

Or another Swordman come in to the game like Kyoushiro.
Or Fujitora. But I don't think Mihawk has to die, either. Oda's already given him a retirement plan growing cabbages, and it doesn't seem like it's necessary for the old title-holder to die -- only to be defeated. If Zoro defeats him at a critical moment near EOS, or does something to show up Mihawk (something that Mihawk couldn't do) near EOS, that would be enough to call Zoro the new WSS.

But of course I would say that.

If Mihawk does have to fight someone to the death, I don't think it's Weevil. Kizaru, Fujitora, Vista, Shanks, Zoro, Shiryu would be my guesses, but it could be anything. Or a humandrill attack! Or he could fall into his giant toilet.

Or Fujitora. But I don't think Mihawk has to die, either. Oda's already given him a retirement plan growing cabbages, and it doesn't seem like it's necessary for the old title-holder to die -- only to be defeated. If Zoro defeats him at a critical moment near EOS, or does something to show up Mihawk (something that Mihawk couldn't do) near EOS, that would be enough to call Zoro the new WSS.

But of course I would say that.

If Mihawk does have to fight someone to the death, I don't think it's Weevil. Kizaru, Fujitora, Vista, Shanks, Zoro, Shiryu would be my guesses, but it could be anything. Or a humandrill attack! Or he could fall into his giant toilet.
I have a Hard Time believing Fujitora would fight to become the strongest Swordsman.

Maybe he is not far from Mihawk level, but Fujitora care about Justice, Peace, What is wrong, What is right, not Strenght.

I mean, if he defeat Mihawk he would say something like :
"World Strongest Swordsman ? Why would I care ? It doesn't change anything about the world situation. Better go trying to change the World Government / Capture Pirates than to bother myself with that."

Vista seems just too weak.
Mihawk won't fight Shanks anymore.
Kizaru and Mihawk probably already clashed one time / a few times in the past.

I hope Denjiro, Kyoushiro, an Oden not dead or another Swordsman that we don't know yet to fight Mihawk.

W

wordyworm

Or.... Mihawk is killed by a non-swordfighter and Zoro just inherits the title because Luffy is the Pirate King.
I hope Denjiro, Kyoushiro, an Oden not dead or another Swordsman that we don't know yet to fight Mihawk.
A not dead Oden! How do you think he'd be alive? A zombie? Or he escaped his death?

Nice to have another Mihawk fanatic around here! I think Mihawk is a fascinating character, he’s not the stereotypical arrogant master swordsman, but rather his cynicism is born out of experiencing the best and worst of the Great Era of Piracy. It’s rare to find members who aren’t interested in him in terms of power levels but purely from a character standpoint. Feel free to start a chat on my profile anytime, I’m always open to new Mihawk theories/translation of dialogue :optimistic:

Or.... Mihawk is killed by a non-swordfighter and Zoro just inherits the title because Luffy is the Pirate King.

A not dead Oden! How do you think he'd be alive? A zombie? Or he escaped his death?
Possibilities for a Not Dead Oden :

-> he has been send further in time that his retainers and will pop out of nowhere during the Battle with Kaidou.
-> his corpse has taken some very big dalages. He has needed a few years to recover.
He was like Anakin in Star Wars. And thus, he has now a Mask, a Costume overing almost all of his body and will gather with the alliance saying :

"Momonosuke, I am your father".

🏵️🏵️🏵️

W

wordyworm

Nice to have another Mihawk fanatic around here! I think Mihawk is a fascinating character, he’s not the stereotypical arrogant master swordsman, but rather his cynicism is born out of experiencing the best and worst of the Great Era of Piracy. It’s rare to find members who aren’t interested in him in terms of power levels but purely from a character standpoint. Feel free to start a chat on my profile anytime, I’m always open to new Mihawk theories/translation of dialogue :optimistic:
I've seen your posts before! Nice to meet you and thank you for the warm welcome!

H

Haoshoku

Good to have you on here, you’ll be best friends with my buddy Den_Den_Mushi in no time, there isn’t a bigger Mihawk fan on the forum:smithnie:
Is it OK to repost old stuff that I posted somewhere else already?
Yeah, feel free to do so. I just read your “Crucified Man” piece, nice analysis on Mihawk’s Yoru and how it relates with fearlessness/his title and all.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower

Glad you’ve stepped out of the shadows and into the beam of golden light that is WG!! Welcome aboard, friend!!

W

wordyworm

Good to have you on here, you’ll be best friends with my buddy Den_Den_Mushi in no time, there isn’t a bigger Mihawk fan on the forum:smithnie:

Yeah, feel free to do so. I just read your “Crucified Man” piece, nice analysis on Mihawk’s Yoru and how it relates with fearlessness/his title and all.
Thanks! I may combine a few of the tumblr posts into something more cohesive to post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.