Powers & Abilities Luffy's Awakening + Fifth Gear + Reverse Gear [Best theories]

Hey guys,
I want to share with you 2 theories about Awakening and Fifth Gear and a theory i think you have never heard before about Luffy's last gear : Reverse Gear.
The first two are not mine because i think i've seen them somewhere
or seen something similar but the last one i've never heard of it before.
So why not share them with you ?
Now some of you might already knew that Oda has quoted Luffy's Gears from normal car gears : 1،2،3،4،5،R
R means Reverse.
Luffy's gears that we have seen so far :
Second Gear : Speeding blood in all his body parts ( Veins and Arteries ).
Third Gear : pumping air in his bones ( bones ).
Fourth Gear : pumping air in his muscles with armament haki to maintain his form ( muscles ).
What about Fifth Gear ?
Before we get to Fifth Gear we have to talk about the first theory : Awakening.
1- First theory : Awakening :
I think luffy's awakening will be controlling his entire body and i mean literally ، he can harden it without haki and manipulate it as he sees fit.
Btw this is how i think he is gonna overcome Fourth Gear weakness ( Limited time ) because he wouldn't even need haki to maintain his Fourth Gear form but i still think he is gonna use it for more destructive power.
Now we get to the Second theory : Fifth Gear.
2- Second theory : Fifth Gear : Enhancing the nervous system by using awakening ( yes i think it will be about nerves because it's the most fitting body part to be the next gear and this gear can only be activated by awakening ).
He will probably create some electric shock in his body to make his nerves function higher than they should be which he can't to without controlling his body.
Nerves transfer electrical signals throughout the entire body.
This will give him more power ، speed and reflexes.
it will be an insane gear and he will be able to endure this much electricity because he is a rubber man.
if you think about it there isn't really any body part luffy can use to power up except this one and it's a really fitting one for Luffy.
Think of it like Deku 100% and if you remember movie 10 Luffy used lightning to empower his leg to beat Shiki I think Oda was implying Fifth Gear but it's just a theory.
Note : Movie 10 was written by manga creator Eiichiro Oda himself.
I mean just think about it Luffy is supposed to be rubber so he isn't supposed to conduct electricity and he didn't do this with Enel so why in movie 10 ? ، yes because in movie 10 Oda has already came up with Luffy's Gear so you could say he already thought of this gear and implied it with Gigant Thor Axe
I think we are gonna see Awakening and Fifth Gear in wano arc to beat Kaido because the story is getting closer to the final arc which means we will see the last gear in the last arc that means we have to see Fifth Gear in this one.
3- Third theory : Reverse Gear :
You see guys i think oda has been implying this gear since the very beginning :
1- Luffy is quoted from Son Goku and the latter is quoted from Sun Wukong.
2- Luffy's Family name is Monkey.
3- If you see the cover of chapter 651 you clearly see that luffy's animal is a monkey.
So this gear is about monkeys like you probably guessed from what i'm saying but before you think i'm gonna say it's about his hair don't worry i'm not.
It's about something Oda has mentioned in the story which i don't think he mentioned it just for the sake of mentioning it or Vegapunk scientific discoveries.
No i think he is getting us ready for the last gear.
It's something we all know and oda has given it a different name in the story.
Are you ready for it ?
Reverse Gear or Gear Reverse : DNA ( or like Oda calls it in the story Lineage Factor )
Yes Guys this Gear is about DNA because if you think about it Oda has quoted from many religions so why not quote from atheism ?
Yes i think he will quote from Darwinism which says humans origin is monkeys.
Note : I'm not atheist btw.
that's why luffy's animal is a monkey and Reverse means reversing the evolution to his origins like Darwinism states that humans origins from monkeys.
Now don't get me wrong i'm not saying luffy will become a monkey
i'm just saying this gear will be something similar and it's all about manipulating his DNA ( probably through awakening too )
It has already been revealed that Vegapunk and Judge discovered the Lineage Factor ( DNA ) and the goverment hunted them when they found out about this and captured Vegapunk because of it.
So i think when luffy meets Vegapunk he will have something to do with this Reverse Gear.
because DNA ( Lineage Factor ) is kinda Vegapunk thing maybe after luffy saves him or the Revolutionary army from the goverment he will help Luffy.
Btw there is a character with rubber-like powers who changes his shape in dc comics he is called elongated man but luffy here will change something more complicated that is DNA and he will evolve himself to something OP.
This will be Luffy's most powerful gear.
So what do you guys think ?

Last edited:
Luffy actually already used a Thor/lightning attack in the main series. He beats Don Chinjao and fixes his head with Thor Elephant Gun.

Also, I think gear 5 is potentially a permanent upgrade or a very long term form. 5th gear in vehicles isn't the fastest and most intense gear, it's actually an overdrive gear to save gas and reduce strain on the engine if you're spending long periods of time at highway speeds. In other words, it's exactly what Rayleigh recommended to Luffy in the flashback before he busted out king kong gun!

Reverse gear is an interesting idea and it would be cool to see, whatever it is.

Luffy actually already used a Thor/lightning attack in the main series. He beats Don Chinjao and fixes his head with Thor Elephant Gun.

Also, I think gear 5 is potentially a permanent upgrade or a very long term form. 5th gear in vehicles isn't the fastest and most intense gear, it's actually an overdrive gear to save gas and reduce strain on the engine if you're spending long periods of time at highway speeds. In other words, it's exactly what Rayleigh recommended to Luffy in the flashback before he busted out king kong gun!

Reverse gear is an interesting idea and it would be cool to see, whatever it is.
Yeah but what about the nerves is it fit to be the next gear ?
anyway i don't think we should consider the actual car gears literally because Oda just quoted the numbers of these gears and Luffy's gears are always about some body system and this time it will be nervous system and honestly I don't see any better body system except DNA which will be in the next gear to evolve himself to something overpowered.
Thanks for your replay.

I've heard of Reverse Gear before. Just like or similar to a car's transmission, it's got gears and then a Reverse Gear, or so. Overall this Theory was basically on OJ.

Some things:
Those body modifications he got via his gears, are modifications that in different ways boost his capabilities as a conventional brawler, but still in a reasonable fashion and on basis of the concept of him having an elastic rubber body. That doesn't mean that any type of body modification is possible.
The nervous system concept simply cannot be explained by his ability of having more elastic body cells.
Back then it also was expected by some to be Gear 4th btw.
Oda cannot just pull out awakening and say "he somehow now has that really, really specific ability of manipulating his nervous system and so he can now use an equally specific ability, electro attacks"
-> It just doesn't add up.
And if you think I'm wrong, give me a pleasant argument for it.

Similiar to the environmental changing awakening theories, where Luffy suddenly becomes a caster, even though he was a brawler his whole life and all of his PUs were about enhancing certain brawler specific capabilities of his body. Those are not thought through at all.

Seriously, I mean no offense, but it cannot just be anything you would like it to be with the reasoning of "yeah awakening will simply be able to do that, just because...". That's not really an appropriate basis for a hypothesis.

And similar to many other "theorists" you did not cover what the trigger for his awakening will be? It has to result out of abilities he already can do, cause otherwise he would already need a completely new ability in order to just awaken a completely new ability. You get where this is going?

That's why you have to take in consideration what he already can do. It doesn't make sense to propose a theory based on potential abilities, that have nothing to do with anything he did before, again prime example: the environmental manipulation theory or in this case your electro ability.
You need to justify the way you went there and why he gets exactly this ability.

And btw what would he gain from learning a completely new ability if his old techs are still heavily drawback'd:
G4's timelimit, G4's and G3's need of air.
If you don't want him to have those drawbacks anymore, better come up with a theory that includes getting rid of those.

And for the reverse gear. DNA changing?
This "he has body manipulating techs already, therefore.." justification went officially overboard. It's a limitless ability. Why would you suddenly introduce an ability that has no limit in diversity of usage? And where would that come from, again because he has elastic body cells?
And then you give him that and then restrict it to what? He becoming able of transform into an Ape, because of a monkey symbolism, that's only just there as a representation of his personality in the first place? And for what? To gain a little more physical strength or something similiaf? And when the fight is over he transforms back into an entirely different being?
Why and how?

I don't mean to be rude, but this is completely not thought through. It looks like a DC universe type of thing that gets forced onto one piece standards, just because you like the idea of it.
It's okay if you sell it under the banner of "crazy thought-what would be really cool", but let's not act as if those are real theories, in this form.

Hey guys,
I want to share with you 2 theories about Awakening and Fifth Gear and a theory i think you have never heard before about Luffy's last gear : Reverse Gear.
The first two are not mine because i think i've seen them somewhere
or seen something similar but the last one i've never heard of it before.
So why not share them with you ?
Now some of you might already knew that Oda has quoted Luffy's Gears from normal car gears : 1،2،3،4،5،R
R means Reverse.
Luffy's gears that we have seen so far :
Second Gear : Speeding blood in all his body parts ( Veins and Arteries ).
Third Gear : pumping air in his bones ( bones ).
Fourth Gear : pumping air in his muscles with armament haki to maintain his form ( muscles ).
What about Fifth Gear ?
Before we get to Fifth Gear we have to talk about the first theory : Awakening.
1- First theory : Awakening :
I think luffy's awakening will be controlling his entire body and i mean literally ، he can harden it without haki and manipulate it as he sees fit.
Btw this is how i think he is gonna overcome Fourth Gear weakness ( Limited time ) because he wouldn't even need haki to maintain his Fourth Gear form but i still think he is gonna use it for more destructive power.
Now we get to the Second theory : Fifth Gear.
2- Second theory : Fifth Gear : Enhancing the nervous system by using awakening ( yes i think it will be about nerves because it's the most fitting body part to be the next gear and this gear can only be activated by awakening ).
He will probably create some electric shock in his body to make his nerves function higher than they should be which he can't to without controlling his body.
Nerves transfer electrical signals throughout the entire body.
This will give him more power ، speed and reflexes.
it will be an insane gear and he will be able to endure this much electricity because he is a rubber man.
if you think about it there isn't really any body part luffy can use to power up except this one and it's a really fitting one for luffy.
even in Movie 10 it was implied by luffy using electricity throughout his leg to beat Shiki by Gigant Thor Axe.
I think we are gonna see Awakening and Fifth Gear in wano arc to beat Kaido because the story is getting closer to the final arc which means we will see the last gear in the last arc that means we have to see Fifth Gear in this one.
3- Third theory : Reverse Gear :
You see guys i think oda has been implying this gear since the very beginning :
1- Luffy is quoted from Son Goku and the latter is quoted from Sun Wukong.
2- Luffy's Family name is Monkey.
3- If you see the cover of chapter 651 you clearly see that luffy's animal is a monkey.
So this gear is about monkeys like you probably guessed from what i'm saying but before you think i'm gonna say it's about his hair don't worry i'm not.
It's about something Oda has mentioned in the story which i don't think he mentioned it just for the sake of mentioning it or Vegapunk scientific discoveries.
No i think he is getting us ready for the last gear.
It's something we all know and oda has given it a different name in the story.
Are you ready for it ?
Reverse Gear or Gear Reverse : DNA ( or like Oda calls it in the story Lineage Factor )
Yes Guys this Gear is about DNA because if you think about it Oda has quoted from many religions so why not quote from atheism ?
Yes i think he will quote from Darwinism which says humans origin is monkeys.
Note : I'm not atheist btw.
that's why luffy's animal is a monkey and Reverse means reversing the evolution to his origins like Darwinism states that humans origins from monkeys.
Now don't get me wrong i'm not saying luffy will become a monkey
i'm just saying this gear will be something similar and it's all about manipulating his DNA ( probably through awakening too )
It has already been revealed that Vegapunk and Judge discovered the Lineage Factor ( DNA ) and the goverment hunted them when they found out about this and captured Vegapunk because of it.
So i think when luffy meets Vegapunk he will have something to do with this Reverse Gear.
because DNA ( Lineage Factor ) is kinda Vegapunk thing maybe after luffy saves him or the Revolutionary army from the goverment he will help Luffy.
Btw there is a character with rubber-like powers who changes his shape in dc comics he is called elongated man but luffy here will change something more complicated that is DNA.
This will be Luffy's most powerful gear.
So what do you guys think ?
First if his awakening does effect his body there is no way it's goner be more than him becoming something like mr fantastic maybe hardening his body maybe is possible but everthing else no especially the dna part.

What are you talking about, dna has nothing to do with atheism, dna is scientific and atheism is just about not believing in a god/religion.
Post automatically merged:

Luffy suddenly becomes a caster, even though he was a brawler his whole life and all of his PUs were about enhancing certain brawler specific capabilities of his body. Those are not thought through at all.
No really, it doesn't matter if luffy is a brawler the DF awakening would be still be the same who ever has it luffy ( oh yeah I'm pro effect the environment) .
similar to many other "theorists" you did not cover what the trigger for his awakening will be? It has to result out of abilities he already can do, cause otherwise he would already need a completely new ability in order to just awaken a completely new ability
No it doesn't, what we know you need to push your DF abilities to a point that your df awakens , imagine luffy he has done everything he can do with his DF power then during fight luffy feels something like a bolt of energy or something but he did felt something then he notice the ground was acting weird then he tries block a attack but then a part of the ground moved to block the attack , I could see oda doing something like that.

Last edited:
Some things:
Those body modifications he got via his gears, are modifications that in different ways boost his capabilities as a conventional brawler, but still in a reasonable fashion and on basis of the concept of him having an elastic rubber body. That doesn't mean that any type of body modification is possible.
The nervous system concept simply cannot be explained by his ability of having more elastic body cells.
Back then it also was expected by some to be Gear 4th btw.
Oda cannot just pull out awakening and say "he somehow now has that really, really specific ability of manipulating his nervous system and so he can now use an equally specific ability, electro attacks"
-> It just doesn't add up.
And if you think I'm wrong, give me a pleasant argument for it.

Similiar to the environmental changing awakening theories, where Luffy suddenly becomes a caster, even though he was a brawler his whole life and all of his PUs were about enhancing certain brawler specific capabilities of his body. Those are not thought through at all.

Seriously, I mean no offense, but it cannot just be anything you would like it to be with the reasoning of "yeah awakening will simply be able to do that, just because...". That's not really an appropriate basis for a hypothesis.

And similar to many other "theorists" you did not cover what the trigger for his awakening will be? It has to result out of abilities he already can do, cause otherwise he would already need a completely new ability in order to just awaken a completely new ability. You get where this is going?

That's why you have to take in consideration what he already can do. It doesn't make sense to propose a theory based on potential abilities, that have nothing to do with anything he did before, again prime example: the environmental manipulation theory or in this case your electro ability.
You need to justify the way you went there and why he gets exactly this ability.

And btw what would he gain from learning a completely new ability if his old techs are still heavily drawback'd:
G4's timelimit, G4's and G3's need of air.
If you don't want him to have those drawbacks anymore, better come up with a theory that includes getting rid of those.

And for the reverse gear. DNA changing?
This "he has body manipulating techs already, therefore.." justification went officially overboard. It's a limitless ability. Why would you suddenly introduce an ability that has no limit in diversity of usage? And where would that come from, again because he has elastic body cells?
And then you give him that and then restrict it to what? He becoming able of transform into an Ape, because of a monkey symbolism, that's only just there as a representation of his personality in the first place? And for what? To gain a little more physical strength or something similiaf? And when the fight is over he transforms back into an entirely different being?
Why and how?

I don't mean to be rude, but this is completely not thought through. It looks like a DC universe type of thing that gets forced onto one piece standards, just because you like the idea of it.
It's okay if you sell it under the banner of "crazy thought-what would be really cool", but let's not act as if those are real theories, in this form.
1-No I didn't say electro attacks i just said he will be stronger and faster think of it like Deku 100% and if you remember movie 10 luffy used lightning to empower his leg to beat Shiki I think Oda was implying Fifth Gear but it's just a theory.
Note : Movie 10 was written by manga creator Eiichiro Oda himself.
I mean just think about it Luffy is supposed to be rubber so he isn't supposed to conduct electricity and he didn't do this with enel so why in movie 10 ? ، yes because in movie 10 Oda has already came up with Luffy's Gear so you could say he already thought of this gear and implied it with Gigant Thor Axe.
2- I never said he will be a caster I just said he will have more control over his body like elongated man from dc comics for example he can manipulate his body as he sees fit like harden it to overcome Fourth Gear weakness ( Limited times ) because he needs hardening to be able to use this gear to keep the air in his muscles that's why he uses haki but in awakening he won't need haki and if you think about it Luffy has beaten all his former gears' weaknesses so why not beat this one and honestly this is the only way I could think of to beat Fourth Gear weakness and that's why I think this awakening is very fitting for Luffy not just because I want it.
3- I don't know what is the trigger for his awakening this arc still isn't finished we will see what is gonna happen but use your imagination like he tries to push himself beyond his limits to use Fourth Gear and he doesn't have haki left but suddenly he is capable of doing it unconsciously or he tries to protect someone with his body alone and he doesn't have haki but he harden himself with awakening unconsciously or anything else.
4- I told you with this awakening he will overcome these weaknesses and need of air isn't a weakness what're you talkin about ?
5- Yeah I admit this ability is too op but honestly the foreshadowing is just too tempting :D
First :I mean Oda already introduced DNA as Lineage Factor.
Second : Luffy and monkeys
Third : the fact that there is nothing that can overpower nerves except DNA.
Fourth : The fact that this gear is called reverse just implies it even more
as for this gear's abilities well you can just say he is gonna evolve himself to something op and i never said he is gonna be a monkey just something similar، also I never said after the fight is over he transforms back into an entirely different being he is just gonna return to his normal form simple as that.

First if his awakening does effect his body there is no way it's goner be more than him becoming something like mr fantastic maybe hardening his body maybe is possible but everthing else no especially the dna part.

What are you talking about, dna has nothing to do with atheism, dna is scientific and atheism is just about not believing in a god/religion.
1- Yes I never said it's gonna affect things more than his body and DNA is still within his body.

2- When I talked of atheism I didn't mean DNA I meant the monkey thing don't they believe humans' origins from monkeys or they have a similar ancestor ?
I just thought Oda might quote this for reverse gear.

future sight = ultra instinct
FS+G5 = MUI:goyea:
Maybe who knows as long as he has observation haki.

Last edited:
1- Yes I never said it's gonna affect things more than his body and DNA is still within his body.
what I mean if luffys awakening is only effecting his body it will be about the shape, size, effortlessly streching and bending his body nothing with dna or the nerve systems electrical current.
2- When I talked of atheism I didn't mean DNA I meant the monkey thing don't they believe humans' origins from monkeys or they have a similar ancestor ?
I just thought Oda might quote this for reverse gear.
Humans ancestors being prime mates is evolution, atheism is just about not believing in a god/religion, its just most atheist believe that the scientific reasoning in how everything was created and devopled as how we see it is the most believable answer.

Last edited:
gear 5th, will be skin balloon. While it could have something to do with nerves, I cannot see how Luffy can logically manipulate his nervous system with his devil fruit. Like what would it be? brain balloon?

Gear 5th will allow him to manipulate his skin in any way he sees fit. He will be able to inflate his skin and then shape it into multiple arms. This in of itself won't be hax, but combined with advanced haki, it would be more deadly than G4, which while powerful, wastes haki on maintaining the form.

reverse gear?....
is luffy a car?:josad:
Oda quoted Luffy's gears from cars so yeah you could say that.

gear 5th, will be skin balloon. While it could have something to do with nerves, I cannot see how Luffy can logically manipulate his nervous system with his devil fruit. Like what would it be? brain balloon?

Gear 5th will allow him to manipulate his skin in any way he sees fit. He will be able to inflate his skin and then shape it into multiple arms. This in of itself won't be hax, but combined with advanced haki, it would be more deadly than G4, which while powerful, wastes haki on maintaining the form.
It's about making his nerves function higher than they should be and he will have a form of lightning making him stronger and faster ، think of it like Deku 100% or how he used Gigant Thor Axe in movie 10.
skin doesn't sound very powerful and why should he blow air in his skin how is that gonna make him strong ?
If he wants to be hardened then haki is enough but then again these are just theories we are gonna see what Oda is gonna do.