Manga/anime differences

Dear Worstgens, this is a matter I would like to discuss, as sometimes these details and nuances could mean a lot. I'm aware the anime often has details added in, such as recently Bepo's cute act over stomach ache. Since I don't read the manga regularly, I would love it if you could point such things out and/or discuss it. Anything that comes to mind is welcome!

If such a topic already exists - feel free to point me to it. I plan on looking into all the differences. :ace:

Edit: if this thread location is wrong, feel free to move it, dear admins

Last edited:
They invent things that doesn't exist and they stretch the ass of an episode as much as possible.
Alas, one could argue that it's not easy to stretch manga into episodes. I'm sure they've made "mistakes" creatively but also probably doing the best they can.
Of course I'd rather they'd skip filler material, as it often gives the wrong idea about the characters, but also I can't go without the visual and especially SOUND element of the anime, so I have to watch it.

WHICH REMINDS ME, was it the appearance of Ace in the streets of Alabasta a completely made up thing? That is an example of perhaps going too far, but still their scenes together are priceless.

Alas, one could argue that it's not easy to stretch manga into episodes. I'm sure they've made "mistakes" creatively but also probably doing the best they can.
Of course I'd rather they'd skip filler material, as it often gives the wrong idea about the characters, but also I can't go without the visual and especially SOUND element of the anime, so I have to watch it.

WHICH REMINDS ME, was it the appearance of Ace in the streets of Alabasta a completely made up thing? That is an example of perhaps going too far, but still their scenes together are priceless.
They probably have some good moments but they should think smarter instead of thinking just about the money.

Honestly if they would make the anime like a 4 or 5 months duration a year (so around 20 episodes) with a good pace and top tier animation, it would be so much better.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
It’s a testament to the story of One Piece that people can exclusively watch that godawful anime and still love the series itself...I honestly don’t find any aspect of the show to be superior to the manga, where I believe we get the best of Oda’s intended portrayal of everything. The copious and unforgivable amount of filler in the anime alone was enough to turn me off, I prefer the cleaner (if not increasingly questionable) style shown in the manga. There’s never any guesswork about whether or not something is canon; what’s there is there, and what isn’t is conjecture. Also, up until Wano (which I’ve only seen stills of), the animation left a good deal to be desired. Might just be me, but if I’d watched the series before reading it instead of the other way around, I wouldn’t have kept up with One Piece for this long.

Is it just for OP? The anime is trash. Its pacing is so dragged and atrocious. For a 970+ chapter manga like One Piece, the anime should have 450 to 500 episodes. Instead, we have 950 episodes. Look up Luffy vs Urashima...perfect example of how bad it is.
Don't get me wrong, but... If it was that trash, it wouldn't have lasted this long.

Now, the pace, well. They could have done it in seasons with that many episodes, but that is not how you want to roll your huge money maker.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Don't get me wrong, but... If it was that trash, it wouldn't have lasted this long.

Now, the pace, well. They could have done it in seasons with that many episodes, but that is not how you want to roll your huge money maker.
Think you’ve got it twisted here - it’s still on because the source material is also ongoing, and both have been the most popular series in their respective media for decades now. If something’s still making money, the people in charge won’t kill it even if it’s bad.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness

Trash still sells dude...just look at Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online. As long as the manga remains popular, the anime would still get the money.

Think you’ve got it twisted here - it’s still on because the source material is also ongoing, and both have been the most popular series in their respective media for decades now. If something’s still making money, the people in charge won’t kill it even if it’s bad.
Again arguable. I doubt the anime would have made money if it was bad. They could have cancelled it ages ago. There's is a LOT of people watching this and liking it, even though this forum ignores.

Listen listen people - this is not about saying the anime is better by any means OF COURSE, nothing can top what Oda draws. Geez, it's just about pointing out what happened differently - PIPE DOWN, I SAID DIFFERENT, NOT BETTER

:endthis:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Again arguable. I doubt the anime would have made money if it was bad. They could have cancelled it ages ago. There's is a LOT of people watching this and liking it, even though this forum ignores.

Listen listen people - this is not about saying the anime is better by any means OF COURSE, nothing can top what Oda draws. Geez, it's just about pointing out what happened differently - PIPE DOWN, I SAID DIFFERENT, NOT BETTER

:endthis:
Trash still sells dude...just look at Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online. As long as the manga remains popular, the anime would still get the money.
Also, I said that the story of One Piece is so compelling that hearing it in any form for the first time is intoxicating enough. A bad anime can still have a good tale to tell.

I'm sorry, but... Earning money through an anime doesn't work like that. A manga can be popular and its anime can still be cancelled.

Also, I said that the story of One Piece is so compelling that hearing it in any form for the first time is intoxicating enough. A bad anime can still have a good tale to tell.
Yes, exactly. Also, there is no need to trash it that much...

And the Bepo stomach ache incident made me want to keep track of this.

Just look at the first season of One Punch-Man or what they did with Demon Slayer, that's what we want to see.
Quality animation coupled with good pacing.
Love those, but this is a completely different era to something that started in the 90s and is still ongoing due to its popularity. The same standards don't really apply. One Piece has also nostalgia playing for it, aside from expectations.

What does One Punch-Man have? It had to be crazy good from the beginning for people to give such a story a shot. Everything starting out has to be very good. But most things go down in quality with time ahahah

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I'm sorry, but... Earning money through an anime doesn't work like that. A manga can be popular and its anime can still be cancelled.

Yes, exactly. Also, there is no need to trash it that much...

And the Bepo stomach ache incident made me want to keep track of this.
But my reaction is exactly the type you’re gonna elicit with this thread/topic. People trash it because it’s deserving of being trashed; I and many others also have distinct complaints about the manga, it’s not like anyone here only sees good or bad things in either. That’s the point of works of art, they are meant to be discussed, dissected, and criticized. The anime does a few things well - the soundtrack and voice acting are objectively effective - but if you’re just looking for straight differences instead of WHY people feel the way they do about the same, the short AND long answer is the filler.

But my reaction is exactly the type you’re gonna elicit with this thread/topic. People trash it because it’s deserving of being trashed; I and many others also have distinct complaints about the manga, it’s not like anyone here only sees good or bad things in either. That’s the point of works of art, they are meant to be discussed, dissected, and criticized. The anime does a few things well - the soundtrack and voice acting are objectively effective - but if you’re just looking for straight differences instead of WHY people feel the way they do about the same, the short AND long answer is the filler.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Complains and discussions and criticizing are all very welcome, this is what we are here for. But the simple "the anime is trash" is... Well, why bother if you're all going to say that same line or care to elaborate with an example.

Yes, of course, I am looking for filler moments in non-filler episodes, or things omitted from the anime while present in the manga. The more relevant, the better. Like Law flipping off Doffy. Or other things some of us might have missed.

If this isn't the best place to ask about this, then I don't know where is :kata: I invite dissecting definitely.

I have another example I've only been told about recently.

The heart to heart Zoro and Chopper had in episode 102, which I remember so vividly... Filler. When I watched that four centuries ago, I had no clue what manga was, let alone filler. I thought it was a great rare insight in the mind of Zoro :gokulaugh:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Complains and discussions and criticizing are all very welcome, this is what we are here for. But the simple "the anime is trash" is... Well, why bother if you're all going to say that same line or care to elaborate with an example.

Yes, of course, I am looking for filler moments in non-filler episodes, or things omitted from the anime while present in the manga. The more relevant, the better. Like Law flipping off Doffy. Or other things some of us might have missed.

If this isn't the best place to ask about this, then I don't know where is :kata: I invite dissecting definitely.
Well, I guess I’m just the wrong person to weigh in since I don’t watch the anime...so goodbye!!