Questions & Mysteries Marco's role in wano?

What is it?

• Fighting king 1vs1

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Teamup with luffy against kaido

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Defeating king first, and then join luffy against kaido

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Another one

Votes: 23 50.0%

• Total voters
With marco finally join the alliances, it makes the matchup in wano war become harder to predict. From what i see, marco vs king is a very good matchup because they have parallel and similarity. Both of them are first commander. And they have similar DF (birds) and can fly. They also have fire, tho the fire is opposite (destructive fire vs healing flame).
Meanwhile, there's also possibility that marco would teamup with luffy to fight kaido, as his healing ability is crucial in a team fight.
So what do you think would marco's role be in this war?

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Well, a big theory back from Zou was that Momo, Luffy, Marco and Inu would beat Kaido because they represent the Momotaro story. That could be back on now.

His healing ability will presumably be vital at some point

I do like the idea of Marco vs King, but not at the expense of Zoro vs King. If Yamato's the secret strongest subordinate of Kaido or Zoro really does play a huge role in the Kaido fight I suppose I could let it go.

Whatever happens, it's gonna be big. Marco hasn't been brought out here for no reason.

For me ideally he should just stay there and prevent BMP from going anywhere , like King did .

It will confin BMP on their ship , and prevent them from doing anything to Luffy and others

Marco also sounded like he's going to stay there . this means BMP will be isolated from the major battles in Onigashima though , which makes Oda's move of bringing them here looks useless .

unless Oda is planning on taking them out by another large force ( a large Marine fleet called by Drake ? )

I still strongly believe Marco will fight Kaido, who is so strong that I’m not sure whether Luffy, Law and Kid teaming up is enough to make a difference against him. But Marco’s presence is a huge game changer and if he helps Luffy, Kaido’s defeat will be way more believable.

It’s true that there’s an undeniable parallel between King and Marco, which Oda clearly put stress on. But I believe it’s only to empasize the fact Marco was to Whitebeard (and now is to Luffy) what King is to Kaido : his strongest man and greatest asset. It’s to establish Marco’s level and make it obvious to the readers that Luffy is gaining an ally that is YC1 level.

King is still Zoro’s opponent.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I think Marco is in Wano...to fight.

Hope we find out in the near future what changed his mind to leave Whitebeard’s village behind, kind of a fucked up thing to do if he swore to protect the place in his deceased captain’s stead. Unless Weevil has been captured by the Marines or otherwise had a change of heart, seems like leaving the townsfolk alone is asking for trouble. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad to see him show up again, just wanna know what happened to bring him to the party.

Zoro doesn't have to fight King. There has been absolutely zero build up for Zoro vs King. The literal only reason people assume that Zoro will fight King is because he is a swordsman and Zoro traditionally fights the main antagonist's right hand man.

But I honestly cannot see how these traditional conventions apply to wano, when you have so many powerful characters, some with even better portrayal than Zoro.

There are so many parallels between marco and king that it wouldn't make sense for them to not fight. Zoro cannot fly, I have no idea how some of you expect him to be able to take on King.

Also, if you look at all the antagonists in wano, you will see that the 2nd strongest isn't actually king, but rather big mom, who coincidentally uses a sword.

There are so many strong opponents for Zoro. He doesn't need to fight king.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Really him and Zoro are in the same position. One of them is fighting King, one of them is fighting Kaido. Nobody else makes sense for them. And there might be a bit of crossover to boot.

For both of them, Big Mom's out because she has nothing to do with their conflicts in the arc. Marco is here to avenge his crewmate, who was killed by Kaido and the Beast Pirates. Zoro is fighting for the people of Wano who've been oppressed by Orochi. Orochi is incapable as a fighter, so his fight will have to be against the people who have made his regime possible- again, Kaido and the Beast Pirates. Big Mom has nothing to do with these crimes, and as such is not a suitable opponent to them considering their story in the arc.

Yamato is the wildcard, but my gut instinct is he is not a foe to be defeated.

The lower Calamities aren't opponents with enough narrative oomph. We're talking about the right hand man of the future Pirate King, and the right hand man of the uncrowned Pirate King. For Marco it's quite basic- he's simply assumed to be capable of beating Queen and Jack, so it's not really that interesting. Zoro's still growing, and while we could say that Q and J would be a real fight for him, it isn't how Oda really does things. He'll want to match the right hands with the right hands- it's no coincidence that the team charging at Kaido right now is Luffy, Zoro, Kid and Killer.

Marco is air surveillance for our side, just like King is air surveillance for their side. There will be aerial clashes between the two, but King is Zoro's fight. The alliance is numerically disadvantaged, so don't expect 1 v. 1 fights for everyone. Marco didn't get a 1 v. 1 in his own crew's arc, why would he get one here?

We saw SMILEs are no joke, when we have 500 of them, in addition to Numbers, Tobi Roppo, etc...

Zoro doesn't have to fight King. There has been absolutely zero build up for Zoro vs King. The literal only reason people assume that Zoro will fight King is because he is a swordsman and Zoro traditionally fights the main antagonist's right hand man.

But I honestly cannot see how these traditional conventions apply to wano, when you have so many powerful characters, some with even better portrayal than Zoro.

There are so many parallels between marco and king that it wouldn't make sense for them to not fight. Zoro cannot fly, I have no idea how some of you expect him to be able to take on King.

Also, if you look at all the antagonists in wano, you will see that the 2nd strongest isn't actually king, but rather big mom, who coincidentally uses a sword.

There are so many strong opponents for Zoro. He doesn't need to fight king.
Where was the build up for Zoro vs Pica ? Zoro vs Daz Bones ? Zoro vs Ohm ? Zoro vs Hyouzou ?

Where was the build up for Zoro vs Pica ? Zoro vs Daze Bones ? Zoro vs Ohm ? Zoro vs Hyouzou ?
For almost all of those arcs except for dressrosa, you only had one main faction who was involved in the fighting: the straw hats.

Wano kuni is a war between multiple factions against an enemy with multiple factions. The whole "Zoro is first mate therefore he fights king" logic would have worked in other arcs doesn't work in wano because of just how many powerful characters are in this arc.

And its not even that Zoro can't fight king. I just mentioned the lack of build up because some people on this forum have taken it as literal fact that Zoro would fight king.

in any case Marco vs King has heavy buildup due to the parallels between these two characters. Hence it makes more sense for Marco to fight king than Zoro.
Post automatically merged:

That's literally ALL of the reason. King was also bickering with Queen, like Zoro/Sanji. Parallels are there for anyone who's not blind.
I think that some parallels are more important than others. There are parallels that the fans make and then there are parallels Oda makes. While King and Queen did argue, the idea that Oda was intentionally trying to parallel zoro and sanji is completely subjective.

However, Oda directly and unambiguously parallels marco and king. This can be seen as Oda drew King in a very specific and famous scene marco was in:

When Kaido met big mom, big mom asked king to join her crew. Oda drew this exact same scene but with Whitebeard instead of kaido, Big Mom instead of shanks, and Marco instead of King.

Then he drew a scene with marco where Oda himself references king. This is when Marco showed up at the waterfall and kicks the big mom pirates down.

when you take these scenes and parallel them with the fact that marco and king's abilities are foils of each other; marco being a phoenix and king being a pteranodon with fire powers. imo it is undeniable that Oda was intentionally trying to parallel marco with king.

Can the same really be said for Zoro and sanji, who in truth have absolutely nothing in common with King and queen?

Last edited: