Questions & Mysteries Masterpiece story at your favourite character's expense vs your favourite character going up the powerscale at the story's expense

Which would you choose ?

• Masterpiece story at my favourite character's expense

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • My favourite character going up the powerscale at the story's expense

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
The philosophy of Zorotards, now you now why almost all shonen mangas suck.
:kata:
It has nothing to do with that obnoxious slur you just mentioned.

Type it again and you get reported.

It's a natural choice based off personal preferences.

If A is mandatory for me, I cannot enjoy the series without A being in place. Conversely, if the series get worse but A remains consistent, I'm still pissed for the former to have worsened but eventually I can still keep following the series.

I hope you can comprehend.

This thread is dumb because it's not like the fandom has any control over the story.
If something like zkk happens then that's just how Oda envisioned the story, if it doesn't then that's how it goes.
There are no compromises to be made.
The most dangerous organization the Akatsuki in Naruto being done almost only by konoha to power up Naruto and Sasuke‚ as if no other 4 super villages exist nor whose Jinchurikis were being targeted‚ even Ay didn't rush to assist Bee( yet that is Kishi's story choice‚ still could have been a masterpiece if not focused on Naruto and Sasuke powerups )

Fairy Tail various Natsu and Erza out of nowhere friendship powerups is another example of powerscaling a character that can hinder the story or even hinder other characters like Zeref and Acnologia‚ affecting the story in general

These are a few examples

This thread is dumb because it's not like the fandom has any control over the story.
If something like zkk happens then that's just how Oda envisioned the story, if it doesn't then that's how it goes.
There are no compromises to be made.
Why the hell are you talking about Zoro? Zoro killing Kaido makes perfect sense in terms of power scalling. But Luffy getting one-shot and then fighting toe-to-toe doesn't. That is what this thread is about.
Let's just remember how most people(me included) thought timeskip was to put at least Luffy in top tier, ready to fight Yonkos and Admirals. When he finally faces an Admiral toe-to-toe (Fujitora) even that wasn't all out battle, everybody believed Luffy was ready for those fights. But then WCI and Wano Oda made Luffy look so weak and now he is giving asspulling power ups to justify those fights.

my favourite character is zoro but i would gladly choose one piece over him lol
I think there can be countless reasons as to why follow One Piece. I personally tend not to project too many limitations that wise. Imo following a series just because of one character is not necessarily that much of an appalling choice at all. I personally would probably stop following One Piece if Zoro died, which luckly will presumably never occur.

The most dangerous organization the Akatsuki in Naruto being done almost only by konoha to power up Naruto and Sasuke‚ as if no other 4 super villages exist nor whose Jinchurikis were being targeted‚ even Ay didn't rush to assist Bee( yet that is Kishi's story choice‚ still could have been a masterpiece if not focused on Naruto and Sasuke powerups )

Fairy Tail various Natsu and Erza out of nowhere friendship powerups is another example of powerscaling a character that can hinder the story or even hinder other characters like Zeref and Acnologia‚ affecting the story in general

These are a few examples
Those are examples of the writer screwing up, my point is there is no choice to be made, they didn't decide to compromise their stories for the sake of giving more hype to a character, they just handled the writting poorly.
Why the hell are you talking about Zoro? Zoro killing Kaido makes perfect sense in terms of power scalling. But Luffy getting one-shot and then fighting toe-to-toe doesn't. That is what this thread is about.
Let's just remember how most people(me included) thought timeskip was to put at least Luffy in top tier, ready to fight Yonkos and Admirals. When he finally faces an Admiral toe-to-toe (Fujitora) even that wasn't all out battle, everybody believed Luffy was ready for those fights. But then WCI and Wano Oda made Luffy look so weak and now he is giving asspulling power ups to justify those fights.
I just use zkk as an example because depending on who you ask, it might be an example of what this thread describes, for others it might be Luffy beating him.

Again my point is that there is no compromising the story for the sake of a character. The authors have their plans and they can be written poorly or not, they're not choosing character over story.

It is not ass pulling powerups‚ Rayleigh told him he will only gain these advanced techniques in battle‚ similar to how he got future sight against Katakuri‚ not something that can be taught. Plus Udon training
Post automatically merged:

Those are examples of the writer screwing up, my point is there is no choice to be made, they didn't decide to compromise their stories for the sake of giving more hype to a character, they just handled the writting poorly.

I just use zkk as an example because depending on who you ask, it might be an example of what this thread describes, for others it might be Luffy beating him.

Again my point is that there is no compromising the story for the sake of a character. The authors have their plans and they can be written poorly or not, they're not choosing character over story.
Maybe you are right‚ but are you implying they weren't favouring Naruto‚ Sasuke‚ Natsu and Erza over the story ? Characters like Might Guy and Sting were lucky to actually have any main role in the final fights. Even in Boruto until recently‚ Naruto and Sasuke were still taking the spotlight over the main boruto team 7.

Last edited:

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
That sorely depends on my mood and thoughts about the manga I'm reading.

Post-time skip One Piece is so fucking dogshit that I'm taking my favorite character going up the power scale at the story's expense.

Pre-time skip I would answer that I prefer Masterpiece story at my favorite's character expense.

It is not ass pulling powerups‚ Rayleigh told him he will only gain these advanced techniques in battle‚ similar to how he got future sight against Katakuri‚ not something that can be taught. Plus Udon training
Post automatically merged:

Maybe you are right‚ but are you implying they weren't favouring Naruto‚ Sasuke‚ Natsu and Erza over the story ? Characters like Might Guy and Sting were lucky to actually have any main role in the final fights. Even in Boruto until recently‚ Naruto and Sasuke were still taking the spotlight over the main boruto team 7.
It is asspulling. First of all Rayleigh could have taught him that, he could have created an extreme situation for Luffy haki bloom, if Katakuri was truly undefeated and never had a hard fight before Luffy then the only explanation would be Katakuri training his haki with BM.
It is asspulling since Luffy is the only one getting those power ups, what about all villains he faced? Doflamingo for example, why Doffy didn't unleashed any adv haki technique? Specially Adv CoC, both Doffy and Katakuri should have. Katakuri should have 150% since BM has it.
Udon trainning was only to master adv armament, Luffy unlocked adv armament while removing collars.

Luffy needing to learn FS in battle could make sense assuming that for example Rayleigh possesses no FS despite how much experience he made. Perhaps he never found someone like Katakuri that could teach him the way. This still stands in the realm of speculation however.

I see so many bring up this as an example of Kaido inconsistent powers and so many more finding the weirdest head canon to explain it, yet no one brings up the fact that Kaidos been tanking heavy damage from the strongest rookies up to that point so naturally his attacks aren't as effective as before hence why Law and even Kinemon aren't completely knocked out from the ONE hit swing. Like this was AFTER Zoro did this

And even Kaido said that shit hurt and when he finish taking out the all the rookies. We see him for the first time catching his breath

Proving what Luffy said to be true. That their attacks are taking a toll on him after all. Followed by another extensive fight with Luffy in a CoCk battle where by the end he was seen once again catching his breath showing signs of fatigue, and that even explains how Kin can still barely remain conscious, before being put to sleep by Kindos sword taken out by Kaido with just a sword.
It is asspulling. First of all Rayleigh could have taught him that, he could have created an extreme situation for Luffy haki bloom, if Katakuri was truly undefeated and never had a hard fight before Luffy then the only explanation would be Katakuri training his haki with BM.
Who said he hasn't put him through extreme situations. And besides would it even be anymore extreme if Luffy life at the point wasnt completely on the line like with Katakuri and the BMP. A good explanation for why Kata has his type of haki without sparring with big mom definitely can be him facing countless strong marine forces or sparring with other YC and their force as well as totta land invaders for decades. All the while perfecting his image of being someone untouchable.
It is asspulling since Luffy is the only one getting those power ups, what about all villains he faced? Doflamingo for example, why Doffy didn't unleashed any adv haki technique? Specially Adv CoC, both Doffy and Katakuri should have. Katakuri should have 150% since BM has it.
You cant call it an asspull when there's a line of logic as to how Luffy was able utilize CoCk Haki while others haven't before. Luffy came to the conclusion on his own that you can apply CoC with your attacks, and he only understood that by facing a Yonkos attack multiple times at that point. And when Kaido stated that only a few can utilize it, that explains why even strong fighters aren't fully aware of the technique. Makes sense why Doffy and Kata didnt apply this technique because they were already strong without it and most of all, they never wanted to go up against a yonko in the first place. Even if they did they probably wouldn't be crazy enough to fight against a yonko twice to fully grasp the nature of their attacks like Luffy did with Kaido.

I see so many bring up this as an example of Kaido inconsistent powers and so many more finding the weirdest head canon to explain it, yet no one brings up the fact that Kaidos been tanking heavy damage from the strongest rookies up to that point so naturally his attacks aren't as effective as before hence why Law and even Kinemon aren't completely knocked out from the ONE hit swing. Like this was AFTER Zoro did this

And even Kaido said that shit hurt and when he finish taking out the all the rookies. We see him for the first time catching his breath

Proving what Luffy said to be true. That their attacks are taking a toll on him after all. Followed by another extensive fight with Luffy in a CoCk battle where by the end he was seen once again catching his breath showing signs of fatigue, and that even explains how Kin can still barely remain conscious, before being put to sleep by Kindos sword taken out by Kaido with just a sword.

Who said he hasn't put him through extreme situations. And besides would it even be anymore extreme if Luffy life at the point wasnt completely on the line like with Katakuri and the BMP. A good explanation for why Kata has his type of haki without sparring with big mom definitely can be him facing countless strong marine forces or sparring with other YC and their force as well as totta land invaders for decades. All the while perfecting his image of being someone untouchable.

You cant call it an asspull when there's a line of logic as to how Luffy was able utilize CoCk Haki while others haven't before. Luffy came to the conclusion on his own that you can apply CoC with your attacks, and he only understood that by facing a Yonkos attack multiple times at that point. And when Kaido stated that only a few can utilize it, that explains why even strong fighters aren't fully aware of the technique. Makes sense why Doffy and Kata didnt apply this technique because they were already strong without it and most of all, they never wanted to go up against a yonko in the first place. Even if they did they probably wouldn't be crazy enough to fight against a yonko twice to fully grasp the nature of their attacks like Luffy did with Kaido.
Many people have CoC, none ever thought "Can I coat my body with it?". Great logic. Luffy take a beating, get knock out but knows exactly how happenend. Great logic.

What about Kid? He also got defeated by Kaido, also have CoC. Where his asspulling?

Many people have CoC, none ever thought "Can I coat my body with it?". Great logic. Luffy take a beating, get knock out but knows exactly how happenend. Great logic.

What about Kid? He also got defeated by Kaido, also have CoC. Where his asspulling?
In that case wouldn't Zoro's Coc Asura attack be even more of an asspull ? At least we have been seeing Luffy using Coc even before timeskip

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope

ACTUALLY that's not so simple.
Popularity has an enormous impact on pop culture stories.
The crossbow dude from The Walking Dead, Gohan becoming irrelevant after Cell saga due to his popularity not being as high as Goku's, etc.
Just look at the seasons 5-8 of GoT and you will see that they CONSTANTLY favor characters over the story, which is why the show took a huge dump in narrative quality when they didn't have more books to copy.
Do you truly believe that shounens, and their constant popularity polls, are not affected by the author taking dumps in the overall story to better fit some specific character in order to milk said character's popularity?
It's not because "One Piece is the best selling" thing that Oda is immune to this concept. It's part of the industry.

Thats where Hyo ryou training comes into the picture. A technique relatively exclusive to wano (the only time we see it used outside of wano was by someone working for vegapunk). The concept of haki flow is essential for Luffy to put the pieces together for how his attacks work. Which is why when he utilize his newfound CoC attack its shown without him touching Kaido. It is great logic because its a technique hidden in plain sight only possible through the training Luffy has gained in Udon during his time in wano, and for him to fully tap that hidden potential he had to face against the strongest pirate while everything was on the line. And as Rayleigh stated you cant train conquerors directly thus explains why no one goes "can I coat my body with it" because most of the time they are focusing on honing the other colors instead. As for Kid same applies he hasn't fully grasped the true nature behind the technique and tie to that him not knowing the adv armament technique, he never grasped the full potential.