Theory Mihawk will die before fighting Zoro

I know it seems very far fetched given that Zoro's whole life aim has been to beat Mihawk and that Mihawk promised to remain at the top till Zoro challenged him, I think that Mihawk might be killed before he gets to fight Zoro. I would guess that it could perhaps be the Gorosei weilding the sword, but it could be somebody else as well.

Reasons:
1. The biggest reason I think this might happen is that Mihawk actually taught Zoro. I think their relationship has evolved to that of a teacher and student. Also Mihawk doesn't have any strong political leanings (now that the Shichibukai have been dissolved) that would put him directly in the way of the strawhats. I think that if a fight were to happen between the two, it will be too friendly or well-intentioned. Given the way the story is heading, Oda must keep increasing the stakes and the tempo of all the future events, which I'm sure he will do. A friendly duel just doesn't fit in the scheme.

2. Zoro's actual aim is to be the strongest swordsman and not to beat Mihawk. If anyone beats Mihawk, he/she would become the strongest swordsman by default and thus Zoro's ultimate target. The Gorosei with the sword makes the perfect sense in this case too. Mihawk is known to be the strongest swordsman but what if he isn't. What if the Gorosei is the strongest swordsman but its just that nobody knows about them (much like everybody thinks that celestial dragons are the rulers but the actual rulers are the Gorosei and Imu).

3. When I talk about increasing the tempo of the series, it would be much more emotional and epic to see Zoro avenging the death of his teacher by killing this person than a friendly duel with Mihawk kimself.

P.S. Mihawk is one of the strongest and collest characters. I'm just waiting to see him in a no-hold-bar fight irrespective of who he fights.

edit :
The main thing I want to highlight is that Gorosei part is not important. It could be someone else too. My main point is that Zoro defeating the strongest swordsman HAS TO BE among the top 5 most hyped moments in the series. Somehow a friendly duel between a teacher and student doesn't seem to justify those kind of emotions, especially when we already know that Zoro will win in the end. Him avenging Mihawk on the other hand could be huge.

Last edited:
I would guess that it could perhaps be the Gorosei
that old fart ain't special. I even doubt if he's LTT or not
Zoro's actual aim is to be the strongest swordsman and not to beat Mihawk.

What if the Gorosei is the strongest swordsman but its just that nobody knows about them
bro this level of headcannon is scary af cuz you don't have any proof and yess everyone knows who are gorosei
Everything you wrote would make bad writer for oda and ratings for one piece will drop at 3/10. Good to see your effort but that ain't happening at all and mihawk never saw zoro as friend. Nor he taught him anything cuz he just asked zoro to turn his blade into black

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I know it seems very far fetched given that Zoro's whole life aim has been to beat Mihawk and that Mihawk promised to remain at the top till Zoro challenged him, I think that Mihawk might be killed before he gets to fight Zoro. I would guess that it could perhaps be the Gorosei weilding the sword, but it could be somebody else as well.

Reasons:
1. The biggest reason I think this might happen is that Mihawk actually taught Zoro. I think their relationship has evolved to that of a teacher and student. Also Mihawk doesn't have any strong political leanings (now that the Shichibukai have been dissolved) that would put him directly in the way of the strawhats. I think that if a fight were to happen between the two, it will be too friendly or well-intentioned. Given the way the story is heading, Oda must keep increasing the stakes and the tempo of all the future events, which I'm sure he will do. A friendly duel just doesn't fit in the scheme.

2. Zoro's actual aim is to be the strongest swordsman and not to beat Mihawk. If anyone beats Mihawk, he/she would become the strongest swordsman by default and thus Zoro's ultimate target. The Gorosei with the sword makes the perfect sense in this case too. Mihawk is known to be the strongest swordsman but what if he isn't. What if the Gorosei is the strongest swordsman but its just that nobody knows about them (much like everybody thinks that celestial dragons are the rulers but the actual rulers are the Gorosei and Imu).

3. When I talk about increasing the tempo of the series, it would be much more emotional and epic to see Zoro avenging the death of his teacher by killing this person than a friendly duel with Mihawk kimself.

P.S. Mihawk is one of the strongest and collest characters. I'm just waiting to see him in a no-hold-bar fight irrespective of who he fights.
Congratulations, now I'm going to write a several thousand word essay explaining why all the "Zoro will fight Mihawk's killer" theories are very dumb.

I hope you're proud of yourself.
:kriwhat:

Cool theory heard it before. Not sure if Oda will ever take out a major character like that with out utilizing him to the fullest. Mihawk is the WSS i doubt he will die easily unless he gets ganged on or jumped on or something and even then it wouldnt be easy. There is also alot of build up for Zoro vs mihawk. The only thing that supports this theory is the bond Zoro and Mihawk forged. Which will make sense if Zoro will avenge mihawk. But even then its a bit far fetched.

i doubt that Gorosei will go down from Mariejois to Kuraigana to fight Mihawk , forget about the Gorosei , Akainu and Kong who are below them don't do the fights .

if anyone were to fight Mihawk from the World Government and Marines , it'll be SSG or an Admiral , maybe both . i don't see Mihawk getting captured though , but he'll be overwhelmed and retreat .

if anyone were to take down Mihawk it'll be Teach , likely with an Ancient Weapon imo . but Teach won't just take down Mihawk , he'll take down Shanks as well .

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

The main thing I want to highlight is that Gorosei part is not important. It could be someone else too. My main point is that Zoro defeating the strongest swordsman HAS TO BE among the top 5 most hyped moments in the series. Somehow a friendly duel between a teacher and student doesn't seem to justify those kind of emotions, especially when we already know that Zoro will win in the end. Him avenging Mihawk on the other hand could be huge.
Post automatically merged:

Congratulations, now I'm going to write a several thousand word essay explaining why all the "Zoro will fight Mihawk's killer" theories are very dumb.

I hope you're proud of yourself.
:kriwhat:

I know it seems a little far fetched given the amount of hype that has been given to Zoro vs Mihawk right from the beginning. But calling it stupid means that it has ZERO substance, which I disagree with. For the reasons I have stated, it definitely is worth discussing.

Last edited: