Character Discussion Momo and Yamato's growth

It took me a little while to realize why the case with Yamato and Momo ended up the way it did, and the conclusion I've come to is that Momo is being built up to eventually challenge Yamato to prove to her that he is capable of defending Wano on his own and further encourage Yamato to sail out not only to embrace her freedom at sea to the fullest, but to also accomplish her greater purpose of finding the answer as to why Wano should be opened, likely by going to Laugh Tale.

After Momo read the journal and realized the last page was missing, it left him concerned as to why his dad Oden would want to open Wano in the first place and then decided not to open Wano after that. So it's probably not that Momo is concerned about *if* he's able to open the borders, but *why* he should open the borders, and him wanting to surpass Oden would lead to him working hard on his bolo breath aiming and arnament haki usage, presumably trained by Hyogoro, in such a way so as to ultimately become a reliable enough defender. Maybe he'd even challenge Yamato to a fight after finding out she lied to him about why she stayed in order to prove to her once and for all that he has become reliable despite his past failure with the admiral. Would make for a nice parallel too in that just as Momo tried fighting Kaido to get him to leave due to him taking peoples' freedoms, he'd then fight his daughter Yamato to get her to leave due to him wanting his friend to live out her freedom at sea to the fullest.

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of how Oda had all this play out, but assuming he's doing all this for Yamato and Momo's benefit, as well as our benefit of not having our time wasted with Yamato's sailing narrative pushed as much as it was after all, then I think it would make the most sense in that case.

Honestly, I can see this happening.
Yeah, all this really depends on how fast of a learner Momo is and how much he pushes himself. His bolo breath already seemed quite destructive, and he learned to use flame clouds fast enough like in a day, so if he really does dedicate himself, I could see him at least impressing Yamato enough for her to have less worry, like she mentioned.

I think it definitely would help if Oda drew interlude chapters of Momo's progress just to emphasize on Momo's growth even more, after saying aforementioned things like surpassing Oden, and give the more believable satisfaction of building himself up enough before Laugh Tale.

CoC: Color of Clowns

Rock that Soul!!!
It took me a little while to realize why the case with Yamato and Momo ended up the way it did, and the conclusion I've come to is that Momo is being built up to eventually challenge Yamato to prove to her that he is capable of defending Wano on his own and further encourage Yamato to sail out not only to embrace her freedom at sea to the fullest, but to also accomplish her greater purpose of finding the answer as to why Wano should be opened, likely by going to Laugh Tale.

After Momo read the journal and realized the last page was missing, it left him concerned as to why his dad Oden would want to open Wano in the first place and then decided not to open Wano after that. So it's probably not that Momo is concerned about *if* he's able to open the borders, but *why* he should open the borders, and him wanting to surpass Oden would lead to him working hard on his bolo breath aiming and arnament haki usage, presumably trained by Hyogoro, in such a way so as to ultimately become a reliable enough defender. Maybe he'd even challenge Yamato to a fight after finding out she lied to him about why she stayed in order to prove to her once and for all that he has become reliable despite his past failure with the admiral. Would make for a nice parallel too in that just as Momo tried fighting Kaido to get him to leave due to him taking peoples' freedoms, he'd then fight his daughter Yamato to get her to leave due to him wanting his friend to live out her freedom at sea to the fullest.

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of how Oda had all this play out, but assuming he's doing all this for Yamato and Momo's benefit, as well as our benefit of not having our time wasted with Yamato's sailing narrative pushed as much as it was after all, then I think it would make the most sense in that case.
Excellent post, good character analysis. I DON'T LIKE Momo, and this has caused me to have trouble analyzing his character objectively. Yamato and Momo are both connected to Oden and his legacy. It makes sense for Yamato to be Momo's final challenge: in order to overcome his father's legacy, he has to overcome Kaido's kid, who took up Oden's legacy. By defeating/matching Yamato, Momo will finally reach Oden's level.

I admit, I will be SALTY AS ALL HELL if Momo beats Yamato, but it would be good for his character.

This could actually save part of Yamato's character for me, in one way, though: if it turns out Yamato wanted to act like Oden to inspire Momo to be like his father, I can forgive her weird ass LARPing.

Rock that Soul!!!
Bullshit. Momo won't be unlocking all haki and it's advanced forms before Yamato leaving Wano.
Luffy gained Adv CoA, Awakening, and went from having uncontrollable CoC to gaining Adv CoC in one arc, within around two weeks.

Momo has Hyogoro and Yamato to teach him Haki, as well as a bunch of strong swordsman who know his father's sword techniques.

Momo is going to get power ups, even if he we don't want him to. I'm sick of Momo at this part, but, fuck, it's clear Oda is going to give him big moments in the future.

Excellent post, good character analysis. I DON'T LIKE Momo, and this has caused me to have trouble analyzing his character objectively. Yamato and Momo are both connected to Oden and his legacy. It makes sense for Yamato to be Momo's final challenge: in order to overcome his father's legacy, he has to overcome Kaido's kid, who took up Oden's legacy. By defeating/matching Yamato, Momo will finally reach Oden's level.

I admit, I will be SALTY AS ALL HELL if Momo beats Yamato, but it would be good for his character.

This could actually save part of Yamato's character for me, in one way, though: if it turns out Yamato wanted to act like Oden to inspire Momo to be like his father, I can forgive her weird ass LARPing.
I wouldn’t think Momo necessarily has to beat Yamato, just impress her enough to finally convince her that Momo can indeed hold down Wano while she goes to find the answer as to why the borders should be opened, and possibly info on Oden’s intentions for Pluton and Joy Boy as well.

Actually, I wouldn’t doubt that these panels were put in Chapter 1057 for that reason.

Last edited:

Rock that Soul!!!
I wouldn’t think Momo necessarily has to beat Yamato, just impress her enough to finally convince her that Momo can indeed hold down Wano while she goes to find the answer as to why the borders should be opened, and possibly info on Oden’s intentions for Pluton and Joy Boy as well.

Actually, I wouldn’t doubt that these panels were put in Chapter 1057 for that reason.

Well, these panels convinced me: Momo vs Yamato will probably happen.

Honestly, doing a shit ton of training against Yamato, who knows Kaido's Fruit in and out, would be really good for Momo.

Luffy gained Adv CoA, Awakening, and went from having uncontrollable CoC to gaining Adv CoC in one arc, within around two weeks.

Momo has Hyogoro and Yamato to teach him Haki, as well as a bunch of strong swordsman who know his father's sword techniques.

Momo is going to get power ups, even if he we don't want him to. I'm sick of Momo at this part, but, fuck, it's clear Oda is going to give him big moments in the future.
Luffy controls his CoC since timeskip. He has DF for almost 20 years. He learned internal damage in those 2 weeks but he already mastered CoA since timeskip.

Momo has SMILE(?) or anything that isn't a pure DF in less than a year(not sure if his glow up would change that). Nobody left at Wano knows internal damage. Only Yamato can teach him CoC coating which isn't really teaching is just telling him that he can do the same with CoC as he does with CoA.

So far Momo didn't unlocked a shit but CoO/Voice of All Things some shit like that.

You need extreme situations to unlock and grow haki. How will Momo have that now that Wano is in peace and we still have Yamato there to protect? He is busy with Shogun stuff he can't train that hard now and even if he did he would never unlock haki without real danger.

Rock that Soul!!!
Luffy controls his CoC since timeskip. He has DF for almost 20 years. He learned internal damage in those 2 weeks but he already mastered CoA since timeskip.

Momo has SMILE(?) or anything that isn't a pure DF in less than a year(not sure if his glow up would change that). Nobody left at Wano knows internal damage. Only Yamato can teach him CoC coating which isn't really teaching is just telling him that he can do the same with CoC as he does with CoA.

So far Momo didn't unlocked a shit but CoO/Voice of All Things some shit like that.

You need extreme situations to unlock and grow haki. How will Momo have that now that Wano is in peace and we still have Yamato there to protect? He is busy with Shogun stuff he can't train that hard now and even if he did he would never unlock haki without real danger.
Knocking out fodder with CoC is NOT the same thing as using it the way Shanks and Kaido do. Luffy's CoC was worthless against top tiers until Kaido.

Let me be clear, I DON'T LIKE MOMO, and hate his random fucking power up through ageing. I'm saying what I think Oda is going to do, not what I want.

You're completely correct, Haki blooms in dangerous situations. Yamato can train Momo in Haki, and beat him up a lot in fights to train him to be stronger, but he'll need to fight serious enemies in order to unlock his full strength.

If you hate Momo, fine, but it's clear Oda is trying to set him up to grow strong with Haki, considering he has Hyogoro and Yamato right there as his teachers for CoA and CoC.

Oda is setting up Momo to become stronger than Oden, whether we like it or not.

Well, these panels convinced me: Momo vs Yamato will probably happen.

Honestly, doing a shit ton of training against Yamato, who knows Kaido's Fruit in and out, would be really good for Momo.
Would prob be fitting in light of the narration describing Momo as one of Wano's greatest shoguns too, prob not just in leadership, but strength too, even though he failed against an admiral in the past.

Rock that Soul!!!
Would prob be fitting in light of the narration describing Momo as one of Wano's greatest shoguns too, prob not just in leadership, but strength too, even though he failed against an admiral in the past.
It was great to see Momo attack Green Bull head on, his courage is getting a lot better. I hope Oda gives Momo earned power ups and moments in the future, so people come to like him more. Momo has the genes, the swords, the Will, and the teachers, he just needs to put it all together, and fast.

Hopefully Hiyori takes care of government matters while Momo focuses on becoming stronger. I hope most of the time goes into Haki training, he already seems to be physically strong.

Knocking out fodder with CoC is NOT the same thing as using it the way Shanks and Kaido do. Luffy's CoC was worthless against top tiers until Kaido.

Let me be clear, I DON'T LIKE MOMO, and hate his random fucking power up through ageing. I'm saying what I think Oda is going to do, not what I want.

You're completely correct, Haki blooms in dangerous situations. Yamato can train Momo in Haki, and beat him up a lot in fights to train him to be stronger, but he'll need to fight serious enemies in order to unlock his full strength.

If you hate Momo, fine, but it's clear Oda is trying to set him up to grow strong with Haki, considering he has Hyogoro and Yamato right there as his teachers for CoA and CoC.

Oda is setting up Momo to become stronger than Oden, whether we like it or not.
You said about control. Luffy controls CoC. He didn't controlled back at Marineford but he does since timeskip. Doesn't matter if it was worthless against top tiers he controls it anyway.

Momo power up by aging was just fine. Not overpowered.

Yamato can't train Momo in haki because he won't have dangerous situations. In theory Rayleigh could have done the same but he brought Luffy to that island with big and strong animals so he would have those situations and haki would bloom. That means you can't force situations by trainning you have to really put yourself in those situations.

I don't hate Momo just don't like him. He doesn't have anything special.

Oda is not setting up a shit. Oden will just be the greatest Shogun of Wano(not even that actually).

Rock that Soul!!!
You said about control. Luffy controls CoC. He didn't controlled back at Marineford but he does since timeskip. Doesn't matter if it was worthless against top tiers he controls it anyway.

Momo power up by aging was just fine. Not overpowered.

Yamato can't train Momo in haki because he won't have dangerous situations. In theory Rayleigh could have done the same but he brought Luffy to that island with big and strong animals so he would have those situations and haki would bloom. That means you can't force situations by trainning you have to really put yourself in those situations.

I don't hate Momo just don't like him. He doesn't have anything special.

Oda is not setting up a shit. Oden will just be the greatest Shogun of Wano(not even that actually).
If Luffy controlled CoC he would use it regularly. There were multiple parts of Dressrosa or Punk Hazard where using CoC would have been helpful, but Luffy didn't use it. This is an opiniated subject, and, even though I really believe Luffy didn't get control of CoC until Wano, I admit I can't prove that.

Hard disagree, Momo's powerup disgusts me, especially since I know Oda is going to use the same power up to make Tama into an adult so she can join the crew. I hpe Bonney turns him back to a kid in the end.
:josad:
All Yamato needs to do to make a dangerous situation is attack Momo with violent intent. She ain't no Kaido, but Yamato is a strong fighter, who Momo could learn a lot from. Haki blooms in intense combat, as long as Yamato and Momo are taking it seriously, they can train his Haki. Similar to Hyogoro training Luffy's Haki after especaping Udon: it's not like Hyogoro was fighting Luffy head on, but he still helped him learn better control of Ryou.

I hope you're right, I'm fine having Momo get way less screentime in the future.

If Luffy controlled CoC he would use it regularly. There were multiple parts of Dressrosa or Punk Hazard where using CoC would have been helpful, but Luffy didn't use it. This is an opiniated subject, and, even though I really believe Luffy didn't get control of CoC until Wano, I admit I can't prove that.

Hard disagree, Momo's powerup disgusts me, especially since I know Oda is going to use the same power up to make Tama into an adult so she can join the crew. I hpe Bonney turns him back to a kid in the end.
:josad:
All Yamato needs to do to make a dangerous situation is attack Momo with violent intent. She ain't no Kaido, but Yamato is a strong fighter, who Momo could learn a lot from. Haki blooms in intense combat, as long as Yamato and Momo are taking it seriously, they can train his Haki. Similar to Hyogoro training Luffy's Haki after especaping Udon: it's not like Hyogoro was fighting Luffy head on, but he still helped him learn better control of Ryou.

I hope you're right, I'm fine having Momo get way less screentime in the future.
Luffy controls CoC. He uses it as he pleases. This is nonsense. He isn't using all the time because of Oda. Either Oda lacks of explanation like using CoC tires you or you he is simply having the manga to be entertainment in his head. That's why a Yonko crew is getting fodderized by a Shark Robot.