Theory Monkey D. Dragon's connection to Wano & the Shimotsuki Family || Zoro's lineage - A theory.

I've turned into a video for you guys if you prefer consuming information visually!

Before I begin, I'd like to credit @dontflame1 on Twitter, he's a good friend who actually found the connections that inspired this theory. He also helped me to compile all the evidence needed to validate this. So big thank you to him.

MONKEY D. DRAGON's CONNECTION TO WANO

Dragon's Tattoo

Something that has always striked me as "interesting", to say the least, is Dragon's tattoo. Especially the fact that in Chapter 0, we see Monkey D. Dragon at Roger's execution, 24 years ago. At that time Dragon didn't have a tattoo. It was deliberately excluded, and in the current day it is a staple for Dragon's appearance. It severely affects his appearance and it is probably the most memorable thing about his design.
24 years ago
2 years ago

But what is this tattoo? What does this symbolise, and why did Dragon get it?

Well, to answer this, I'll have to refer to another symbol that has appeared in the story, a symbol that is fascinatingly very similar to the one tattoo'd on Dragon's face. In fact, I think it is fair to say that Dragon's tattoo and that symbol definitely have some sort of connection.

That symbol was seen on Ryuma's kimono back in Thriller Bark.
The main reason I believe this symbol has a connection to Dragon's tattoo is because of the kanji on Ryuma's tattoo. The kanji on Ryuma's kimono is the kanji for "Dragon".

Dragon's Apparent Connection to Shimotsuki Koushirou

In the ASL flashback, Dragon and the Revolutionaries who accompanied him at the time were shown on the shore of Shimotsuki Village and were supplied with provisions by the dojo in the village. The dojo ran by Koushirou. This has led to numerous theories regarding the possible connection between Koushirou (Zoro's master) and Dragon.
Interestingly enough, this relationship between Dragon and Koushirou was alluded to a while back in a fan-sponsored interview with Oda. Take from this what you will, but the censorship of Oda's words and the reaction of the guys who asked the question tells me that Oda spilled some beans in the interview.
Considering dragon is a wanted man and we've only seen him seek refuge with trusted individuals (ie. Ivankov), I think it's very safe to assume that he was familiar with someone in Shimotsuki Village before he went there to gather supplies.

If you're wondering why I'm calling Koushirou a Shimotsuki, it was confirmed in the SBS Question Corner of Volume 96 that Shimotsuki Kozaburo (the man mentioned in Chapter 955 who forged Enma and Wado Ichimonji) illegally set out to sea from Wano and found himself in the East Blue. He settled down in a village there and had a son who he named Koushirou. Yes, the same Koushirou who lived in Zoro's home village.

Oda also alluded that Zoro could be a member of the Shimotsuki family in this SBS.

Speculation - Dragon's quest for knowledge

This is where the speculation and theorising begins.

Dragon is a man who is actively working to destroy the World Government. Of course, power is an absolute necessity for him to achieve this goal but something just as, if not more important than power is knowledge.

I believe Dragon ventured to Wano in his youth, specifically around 18 years ago. Considering Wano has deep deep connections to the Void Century and Poneglyphs, it is only fair to assume that that this is the perfect place for Dragon to seek knowledge and information.
Shimotsuki Ryuma was famed as a great defender of Wano. He is the man who kept Wano safe from the World Government, taking a defensive approach.
Contrastingly, Dragon is the man who is trying to save the world from the World Government. Trying to topple them, taking an offensive approach.
This is something very similar yet wildly different between the two.

As I said earlier, I believe Dragon ventured to Wano, specifically 18 years ago.

Why 18 years ago?

Because that was the year Shimotsuki Ushimaru was killed by Kaido.
Considering they are both a part of the Shimotsuki Family and the village in the East Blue is literally called "Shimotsuki Village", it is only fair to assume that Ushimaru could have had a relationship with his relative, Koushirou.
It is pretty much undeniable that Shimotsuki Ushimaru is, quite literally, the spitting image of Roronoa Zoro.
He's what Zoro would look like if he was shown in a silhouette form.
Zoro is also, quite literally, the spitting image of Shimotsuki Ryuma.
Ryuma and Zoro even shared the same ambition.
They both wanted to fight the strongest swordsman.
They were also both blamed for crimes that they didn't commit:
-Ryuma blamed for summoning a dragon
-Zoro blamed for street murders in Wano
At this point, it's pretty much clear and in our faces.
If Zoro is from Wano, he is 99% a member of the Shimotsuki Family and his father is Shimotsuki Ushimaru.
The man who died 18 years ago, even the timeline fits perfectly.

Dragon and Ushimaru's connection

The reason why Dragon knew of Shimotsuki Village and Koushirou is because he had visited the village before.
Specifically 18 years ago when he took Zoro from Wano to Shimotsuki Village in the East Blue.

Dragon became acquainted with Ushimaru during his time seeking knowledge in Wano.
That is why he has a tattoo that strongly resembles the symbols on Ryuma's kimono.
Because Ushimaru told Dragon of his legendary ancestor and the family's ties to the Void Century.

There are TWO ways Dragon's tattoo can be explained:
EITHER:

1. Dragon began to admire the man who protected his country against the tyrants that are the World Government. So he got a tattoo of the symbol that Ryuma proudly wore on his kimono.

OR

2. There is a secret meaning behind this symbol that Ushimaru shared with Dragon. Something connected to the Void Century. Dragon tattoo'd the symbol on his face after his quest to Wano where he found the knowledge he seeked.

Everything I've said boils down to this:

1. Zoro was born in Wano 21 years ago, his father is Shimotsuki Ushimaru.
2. Dragon ventured to Wano to seek knowledge sometime around 18 years ago, where he became acquainted with Shimotsuki Ushimaru.
3. The Daimyo's began to plan their rebellion.
4. Ushimaru entrusted his friend, Monkey D. Dragon, with the job of taking his son to safety by delivering him to the family's village in the East Blue.
5. Zoro was made to take up a new name so that the burden of the family doesn't follow him and prove detrimental to his safety.

Luffy and Zoro really are brothers through and through. Even their fathers were connected.

Please let me know what you guys think of this theory.
If you have any cool information to add, or any specific debunks, please also share them!
I'm planning to make a video about this because it was mindboggling when I first went through it.

Last edited:
Zoro was made to take up a new name so that the burden of the family doesn't follow him and prove detrimental to his safety.
But Koushiro is still Shimotsuki Koushiro and actually leaves in Shimotsuki Village. How are you hiding Zoro when you are putting him in the place where his clan supposedly advertise themselves.

Also why hide it? What's important about Zoro changing his name? Ushimaru is just some Daimyo. Why would you need to change Zoro's identity after travelling across the world? Is Orochi or Kaido that interested in some random Kid of a random daimyo?

Also why hasn't Zoro noticed his home country and why hasn't anyone noticed Zoro?

Seems like you are jumping to conclusions here

But Koushiro is still Shimotsuki Koushiro and actually leaves in Shimotsuki Village. How are you hiding Zoro when you are putting him in the place where his clan supposedly advertise themselves.

Also why hide it? What's important about Zoro changing his name? Ushimaru is just some Daimyo. Why would you need to change Zoro's identity after travelling across the world? Is Orochi or Kaido that interested in some random Kid of a random daimyo?

Also why hasn't Zoro noticed his home country and why hasn't anyone noticed Zoro?

Seems like you are jumping to conclusions here
Wano's borders are closed, nobody in the East Blue would know about the Shimotsuki family. The point is that when Zoro grows up he won't have the name Shimotsuki Zoro.

Regardless, that is a very negligible point and is completely dismissible. I was just trying to explain why his name is currently not Shimotsuki Zoro. It can be explained in various different ways, like maybe he had a mother who went by that name.

"Ushimaru is just Daimyo". The point of this theory is that the Shimotsuki family could have ties to the Void Century. Orochi or Kaido don't need to be interested in the random kid, it could be far bigger than that. We are nearing the endgame. Void Century plot points are going to unfold. Regardless, the name change stuff isn't that important lol.

Zoro could very well know he is from Wano and just hasn't addressed it yet. Or maybe he doesn't know. His appearance not being mentioned by anyone is super weird, but you have to appreciate that Zoro was 3 years old 18 years ago. He left the country as an infant. Nobody would remember how he looks, just that he resembles Ushimaru. It definitely is weird that it hasn't been mentioned by anybody though, especially Onimaru who was the pet of Ushimaru.

That was literally one point of many though bro, I don't get how I'm jumping to conclusions because the scenario I provided doesn't make complete sense, it's a theory at the end of the day, a lot of this can be cleared up.

Any other issues with the theory?

If Dragon ventured to Wano 18 years ago he would Know (or at least came to conclusion) that the weapons that were captured in dressrosa were made in Wano. You could say that he ventured to Wano earlier but the thing is that those factories in Wano were made 25+ years ago (during the time when Oden was traveling with Roger) and Dragon now is 55 years old, so for him to visit Wano at (the time when the factories weren't there) he must have been around 17- which I don't think is possible, also knowing Dragons character and his strong sense of justice I don't think that he would left Wano whiteout any help for 20 years.

Last edited:
If Dragon ventured to Wano 18 years ago he would Know (or at least came to conclusion) that the weapons that were captured in dressrosa were made in Wano. You could say that he ventured to Wano earlier but the thing is that those factories in Wano were made 25+ years ago (during the time when Oden was traveling with Roger) and Dragon now is 55 years old, so for him to visit Wano at (the time when the factories weren't there) he must have been around 17- which I don't think is possible, also knowing Dragons character and his strong sense of justice I don't think that he would left Wano whiteout any help for 20 years.
This is a good point, but that stuff can definitely be explained/justified.
Dragon not knowing the weapons that were taken from Dressrosa were made in Wano can be justified by them being newly made weapons. New designs, etc.
I don't think Dragon venturing to Wano earlier makes any sense, this has to be around the time of Roger's execution or after. It has to be linked to that tattoo. That is integral to this theory.

Wano's borders are closed, nobody in the East Blue would know about the Shimotsuki family. The point is that when Zoro grows up he won't have the name Shimotsuki Zoro.

Regardless, that is a very negligible point and is completely dismissible. I was just trying to explain why his name is currently not Shimotsuki Zoro. It can be explained in various different ways, like maybe he had a mother who went by that name.

"Ushimaru is just Daimyo". The point of this theory is that the Shimotsuki family could have ties to the Void Century. Orochi or Kaido don't need to be interested in the random kid, it could be far bigger than that. We are nearing the endgame. Void Century plot points are going to unfold. Regardless, the name change stuff isn't that important lol.

Zoro could very well know he is from Wano and just hasn't addressed it yet. Or maybe he doesn't know. His appearance not being mentioned by anyone is super weird, but you have to appreciate that Zoro was 3 years old 18 years ago. He left the country as an infant. Nobody would remember how he looks, just that he resembles Ushimaru. It definitely is weird that it hasn't been mentioned by anybody though, especially Onimaru who was the pet of Ushimaru.

That was literally one point of many though bro, I don't get how I'm jumping to conclusions because the scenario I provided doesn't make complete sense, it's a theory at the end of the day, a lot of this can be cleared up.

Any other issues with the theory?
So Zoro is connected to the void century now?

Remember you are trying to tell a story yeah? If you creating this mystery and importance around Zoro's past, it must lead to something yeah?

If Zoro's past has a connection to the void century then that actually has to happen. Theres no "Zoro forgot his past so he no longer knows his connection to the void century" because that just a waste of time.

So let's go deeper with this. What is this connection to the void century and why does it matter to the current state of Wano arc?

Like supposedly Kaido and Orochi would think Zoro is of some importance if they find out he's a shimotsuki right? But they killed Yasuie like dog and tried to kill Toko who are also both Shimotsuki. Yasu was a daimyo and Toko lived in Wano her whole life but these two shimotsuki aren't as important to Kaido or Orochi as this one kid who left Wano 18 years ago as a toddler. See this has to be explained yeah?

I'm focusing only this part of the theory because it's the only part I care about. And because it has the most holes.

This is a good point, but that stuff can definitely be explained/justified.
Dragon not knowing the weapons that were taken from Dressrosa were made in Wano can be justified by them being newly made weapons. New designs, etc.
I don't think Dragon venturing to Wano earlier makes any sense, this has to be around the time of Roger's execution or after. It has to be linked to that tattoo. That is integral to this theory.
That is also impossible since Dragon was talking about the iron that the weapons were made (since it was a very rare type of iron).
Look, you pay too much attention to Shimatsuki name/family while forgetting about Roronoa name, l know that Ryuma is legendary and Shimatsuki name has samthing to do with it but you must pay attention to Roronoa name too because Roronoa is as much important as Shimatsuki, mabe even more important. I believe that Roronoa is Zoro's father's name and I also believe he was a legendary worrier/swordsmen too. In order to understand Zoro lineage we must pay attention to Roronoa name since Oda is hiding the most important stuff in front of our own eyes while representing Shimatsuki as unswer to the question, but in reality Shimatsuki isn't that much important as Roronoa and if it was, Oda would never reveal so much in SBS.

That is also impossible since Dragon was talking about the iron that the weapons were made (since it was a very rare type of iron).
Look, you pay too much attention to Shimatsuki name/family while forgetting about Roronoa name, l know that Ryuma is legendary and Shimatsuki name has samthing to do with it but you must pay attention to Roronoa name too because Roronoa is as much important as Shimatsuki, mabe even more important. I believe that Roronoa is Zoro's father's name and I also believe he was a legendary worrier/swordsmen too. In order to understand Zoro lineage we must pay attention to Roronoa name since Oda is hiding the most important stuff in front of our own eyes while representing Shimatsuki as unswer to the question, but in reality Shimatsuki isn't that much important as Roronoa and if it was, Oda would never reveal so much in SBS.
Interesting. I respectfully disagree though.

A few things to say, I like the idea and I think your in a good way, but at some point the theory went clumsy.
A few things I wanna bring up:
- zoros name is based on ZORRO, the sword man with mask you surely know. In Spanish ZORRO means Fox. What animal had Ushimaru? His little fox Onimaru. Zorros last name comes from the real life pirate Francois ilionnais. Who had fought against the Spanish people.
Also Francois ilionnais, wasn't his real name. It was Jean David nau. Could be the same with ZORRO.
- the next thing I always thought about. It is stated that Shimotsuki is ryumas epiteph not surname. Maybe one clan took on this epiteph as their surname out of Respect. Or maybe one of his ancestors. Who knows maybe roronoa was the real surname of ryuma. Hmmm can't remember but was zoros family name ever stated in Wano? Or even before kinemon and Co? Or did they never heard the name roronoa.

While I don't agree with all the details, I'd say this is a great theory overall.

We know based on Vivrecard Databook Volume 3 something happened between Roger's death and Luffy's birth that motivated Dragon to create the Revolutionary Army. That would be between 19-24 years ago, and I believe this is when he got the tattoo. For that reason, I think he may have been in Wano, but not 18 years ago at the time of Ushimaru's death.

While I don't agree with all the details, I'd say this is a great theory overall.

We know based on Vivrecard Databook Volume 3 something happened between Roger's death and Luffy's birth that motivated Dragon to create the Revolutionary Army. That would be between 19-24 years ago, and I believe this is when he got the tattoo. For that reason, I think he may have been in Wano, but not 18 years ago at the time of Ushimaru's death.
:cheers: