Current Events Oda made a big mistake with Luffy

The fight barely started and he’s already doing what the other SN can’t do : hurt Kaido. Instead of being the underdog (like when he was stuck in a snake’s stomach like an idiot when everyone else was facing Enel), he stands out from the start to the point where his so called rivals are being totally ignored by Kaido and they’re surprised Luffy can hurt him.

What’s even worse is that Killer was happy Luffy could hurt him and said they might have a chance to win "after all". He’s even presented as the next big thing comparable to the likes of Roger, WB, Oden, Shanks and Rocks. It was way too soon to do all these things, it’s boring and kills the element of surprise.

There was a time when Luffy had to work his ass up to prove to his opponent he’s even worthy of his time. That was a perfect way to build tension, to make people cheer for him and be emotionally invested in his final fights.

I already mentioned Skypiea, where he was stuck in a snake’s stomach. There was also Water Seven, when he was stuck between two buildings like a fool after getting no diffed by Lucci, then came the rematch and it was extremely hard for Luffy to even hurt him. Against Crocodile, he almost died twice and he struggled to win the third time. Against Doflamingo, he was initially powerless and couldn’t do what Law did, which was hurting Doflamingo. Law almost made Doflamingo die while Luffy looked like a useless amateur, then he used Gear 4 for the first time and we were all speechless.

That’s what should have happened against Kaido, instead of making him shine more than the others from the get go. Not only it makes Law and Kid look extremely weak in comparison but the story lacks tension and I can’t feel invested in this fight the same way I was invested in his previous fights.