Future Events Oda's killing problem - does he have the guts to kill Kaido?

How will Oda solve the killing problem?

• Luffy ends his pacifist run and kills Kaido

• Zoro finally commits an on-panel murder

• Kid or Law do the dirty work for them

• Big Mom backstabs Kaido

• Blackbeard appears and backstabs Kaido

• He doesn't. Kaido is imprisoned eternally (in a Poneglyph or something? idk)

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
Since the beginning of the series, Oda has been extremely reluctant to kill of characters, be it Luffy's major rivals and antagonists, or even minor side characters who contribute little to the story as a whole. In one of the first volumes of One Piece, Oda explained why Luffy does not kill his enemies, stating

Kaido is certainly an example of this; the man does not care about his life in the slightest. In fact, he actually wants to die. Would killing Kaido follow Luffy's trend of destroying his opponent's beliefs?

Kaido starts a war on a whim because he's tired of living and ostensibly would like a final grand exit from this world, a glorious death in combat with a worthy opponent. Despite his 100 hostage-taking ways, Kaido apparently does care somewhat about fighting fairly with a worthy opponent given that he killed Kurozumi Higurashi for backstabbing Oden. You could argue that Kaido himself took advantage of the distraction to strike Oden down, or that his character is just a mishmash of poorly integrated tropes and stereotypes. You could also argue that killing Kaido would be the first time in the series that Luffy and co actually granted the enemy's greatest wish. I'm not disagreeing with any of this, but I think the difficulties with killing Kaido extend far beyond that.

Oda does not like killing characters. Other than the very obvious example of Pell, we have King Baum, Charlotte Moscato and Pound, three characters who were shown killed/implied to have been slain during WCI but later reappeared alive and (fairly) well.

Whatever his reasons may be for resurrecting even the most inconsequential of characters like Moscato, Oda does not like character death. This has only become more apparent as the series progressed, with Luffy's mentality (de)evolving from this

To this

Remember when Bellemere was shot point blank in the head in front of her children? Can you imagine a scene like this being drawn in 2021 One Piece? Only two crew members are confirmed killers, that being Zoro and Robin. Neither of them have killed on-panel, with their previous murders mostly glossed over by the manga. Does Oda have the guts to make Luffy a murderer, or to finally show Zoro ending a life on-panel in a glorious double spread? Will the job fall to Killer or Law, two individuals with far less reservations about killing? This is extremely unlikely given how Straw Hat-centric the manga is.

What do you guys think? Would Kaido's dreams be shattered if he dies? Does Oda actually have it in him to make the happy-go-lucky, cutesy mascot loving, family friendly post-timeskip Straw Hats into murderers? How will Oda solve the killing problem? Sound off below.

Since the beginning of the series, Oda has been extremely reluctant to kill of characters, be it Luffy's major rivals and antagonists, or even minor side characters who contribute little to the story as a whole. In one of the first volumes of One Piece, Oda explained why Luffy does not kill his enemies, stating

Kaido is certainly an example of this; the man does not care about his life in the slightest. In fact, he actually wants to die. Would killing Kaido follow Luffy's trend of destroying his opponent's beliefs?

Kaido starts a war on a whim because he's tired of living and ostensibly would like a final grand exit from this world, a glorious death in combat with a worthy opponent. Despite his 100 hostage-taking ways, Kaido apparently does care somewhat about fighting fairly with a worthy opponent given that he killed Kurozumi Higurashi for backstabbing Oden. You could argue that Kaido himself took advantage of the distraction to strike Oden down, or that his character is just a mishmash of poorly integrated tropes and stereotypes. You could also argue that killing Kaido would be the first time in the series that Luffy and co actually granted the enemy's greatest wish. I'm not disagreeing with any of this, but I think the difficulties with killing Kaido extend far beyond that.

Oda does not like killing characters. Other than the very obvious example of Pell, we have King Baum, Charlotte Moscato and Pound, three characters who were shown killed/implied to have been slain during WCI but later reappeared alive and (fairly) well.

Whatever his reasons may be for resurrecting even the most inconsequential of characters like Moscato, Oda does not like character death. This has only become more apparent as the series progressed, with Luffy's mentality (de)evolving from this

To this

Remember when Bellemere was shot point blank in the head in front of her children? Can you imagine a scene like this being drawn in 2021 One Piece? Only two crew members are confirmed killers, that being Zoro and Robin. Neither of them have killed on-panel, with their previous murders mostly glossed over by the manga. Does Oda have the guts to make Luffy a murderer, or to finally show Zoro ending a life on-panel in a glorious double spread? Will the job fall to Killer or Law, two individuals with far less reservations about killing? This is extremely unlikely given how Straw Hat-centric the manga is.

What do you guys think? Would Kaido's dreams be shattered if he dies? Does Oda actually have it in him to make the happy-go-lucky, cutesy mascot loving, family friendly post-timeskip Straw Hats into murderers? How will Oda solve the killing problem? Sound off below.

Zoro killed the magistrate on panel

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
By this reasoning, Zoro is really the only candidate capable of doing what needs to be done. It’s been confirmed (verbally, not visually) that Zoro has killed before; Kaido has been portrayed at points as subtly sympathetic, so it wouldn’t be exactly like giving the bad guy what he wants; Oda HAS been known to show a death if it’s poignant/salient to the plot, even if the two most notable examples have still recurred through flashbacks and plot points ever since. I know we joke about it a lot, and I still don’t expect him to be the only one involved, but I can faintly see Zoro dealing the death blow to Kaido before all is said and done.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
You already know what i think on this so i will address the other options.

Luffy aint killing him. I dont think that needs expanding on its just not something he does.

For people say zoro killing kaido is bad because it would take spotlight away from luffy kidd or law doing it would be much worse to luffys rep in comparison. Of course this would be even if they had the beans to do it which they dont.

This is something ive seen a lot. Big mom betraying kaido these were my thoughts on that before 1002
I dont this betrayal from meme to kaido.
In fact i dont even think they have a bad relationship the opposite tbh.
Whilst yes they "fought" its not been shown anything more than a sibling rivalry.
Meme outright said she sees him as her younger brother and we know what family is to her. Kaido despite her being his near equal didnt consider her as someone worthy to fight him and imo that has nothing to do with her strength but their relationship.
Theyve not seen each other in decades yet have easy contact with each other still get on and even know each others quirks like last chapter when she talked about him playing with his food. All this without going into the fact she is the one who made him by giving him the fruit in the first place. Even her son peros who came with marco to tell her to betray kaido she didnt even entertain it with him. Then theres the fact that the reason they teamed up was to get the ancient weapons and fight the navy which she cant do on her own .Their on panel moments has been one of the few things good about meme in wano and im sure it will be expanded on even further as we delve in to kaidos character and both their pasts on rox.
After seeing the way she not only took killer out before he could attack again but then reacted to zoro attacking him i feel more than vindicated in my beliefs on this topic.

Now this is an interesting one. Back in the day i thought this was the only other viable option. But events since 956 changed my mind on this or the marines coming at the end.
First of all blackbeard in 956 moved out to take something before the marines do so a clash between the two parties is inevitable. I dont see either coming to wano to take kaido out for a few reasons. First the arc needs to end with the feast luffy said and wano opening the borders.
Bb wont come to wano to kill kaido take his fruit then leave a) luffy alone or b) the road ponlyglyphs and would try sink wano.
Same with the marines they wouldn't come to take kaido away and wave off luffy and wish him a nice day.
On the capture front it has failed 18 times to restrain this man. 18. Add this to the ridiculous recovery this man has they cannot contain him. Why would it be different ?
@Garp the Fist made a thread just how much the idea of not just death but beheading kaido has been pushed so far in wano. All the ingredients to match ryumas legend are slowly falling in place
It has all the build up now its just about (excuse my pun) the execution.

By this reasoning, Zoro is really the only candidate capable of doing what needs to be done. It’s been confirmed (verbally, not visually) that Zoro has killed before; Kaido has been portrayed at points as subtly sympathetic, so it wouldn’t be exactly like giving the bad guy what he wants; Oda HAS been known to show a death if it’s poignant/salient to the plot, even if the two most notable examples have still recurred through flashbacks and plot points ever since. I know we joke about it a lot, and I still don’t expect him to be the only one involved, but I can faintly see Zoro dealing the death blow to Kaido before all is said and done.
Um, the only time Zoro killed someone (off-panel) was before Oda's grandma passed away, when he changed his tone. He specifically mentioned this.

Right, so because he changed his feelings on something once, he will never, EVER do it again...seems like airtight logic :suresure:
Considering it because of his grandmother was passed away. Yes. Yes, that is airtight logic.

O: It has publication reasons. There was a phone call from my granny in my hometown, and she said that "it ain't good to use words sayin' that someone will kill the other". It's obvious Luffy and his crew don't use it, but I think as for the enemies, that's just.. too bad. It is the mature me that thinks it is really bad word usage when a friend of mine dies from time to time. Well, as for the running gags and the evilll villains, it is used, but I use it thinking "oh, this is a bad thing to say." Don't use it, everyone.

He will only let villains do this.
Post automatically merged:

First of all reported.

Second of all, read what Stephen Paul has said about that word. Oda specifically uses "kiri" instead of "killing" for Zoro. Did the same thing for Kaido.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Remember when Bellemere was shot point blank in the head in front of her children? Can you imagine a scene like this being drawn in 2021 One Piece?
This scene was far too memorable to make it into modern OP. Wano is reserved for masterpiece dialogue like “muh durability”, “these brats”, “how is this possible,” and other LeGeNdArY mOmEnTs from GODA!!!11!, instead of all that other crap.

You could argue that Kaido himself took advantage of the distraction to strike Oden down, or that his character is just a mishmash of poorly integrated tropes and stereotypes.
I’ve been saying this shit since 2019, Kaido is the worst character Oda has ever written. Oda took a bunch of generic villain traits and threw them into a blender. The result was Crydo of the Animal Kingdom who may as well be singularly responsible for ruining the Wano Arc given that 95% of its issues are directly related to its ass-tier villain.

To answer the thread topic, no. Oda is too much of a bitch to kill any memorable characters. He couldn’t even let Pound stay dead. He actually ruined Pound’s entire character by bringing him back to life.

In fact, knowing current Oda, Bellemere may even be resurrected so Oda can draw her tickling chinchillas or whatever tf random ass cover story he feels like drawing.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Considering it because of his grandmother was passed away. Yes. Yes, that is airtight logic.

O: It has publication reasons. There was a phone call from my granny in my hometown, and she said that "it ain't good to use words sayin' that someone will kill the other". It's obvious Luffy and his crew don't use it, but I think as for the enemies, that's just.. too bad. It is the mature me that thinks it is really bad word usage when a friend of mine dies from time to time. Well, as for the running gags and the evilll villains, it is used, but I use it thinking "oh, this is a bad thing to say." Don't use it, everyone.

He will only let villains do this.
Post automatically merged:

First of all reported.

Second of all, read what Stephen Paul has said about that word. Oda specifically uses "kiri" instead of "killing" for Zoro. Did the same thing for Kaido.
Lmfao idgaf

Ive seen what he said
He never said it doesnt mean kill
He said its written in a way where if they arent dead it still makes sense
And we have people who do the subs outright saying killer
That man is dead.

I guess it more so revolves around the fact that killing someone with a sword is generally easier and seems more plausible than killing someone by punching them or beating them to death lol, if that were the case then Luffy would be bodying people left right and centre.

I mean Zoro does have that blood thirsty vibe about him and this has been mentioned multiple times and would kill, but if Zoro would kill Kaido I don’t see why Luffy wouldn’t. Like it would seem a bit weird if they knock Kaido down and then Zoro just kills Kaido. I mean I want Kaido to die but just not really sure Oda is going to go about it.

It would seem more impactful to the story if the scabbards were the ones to deal the killing blow, especially seeing as they’re alive and have been moved to a lower level, they’ll recover soon, it seems more emotional and attached to the story as it being their dream to kill Kaido take back wano, open the borders and avenge their master, rather than Zoro killing Kaido to further his own ambition and wanting to cut and kill Kaido because he’s strong, like Zoro isn’t any more attached to Kinemon and co than Luffy or Law, so imo if Zoro is killing Kaido because of his connection to the samurai and scabbards then Luffy and law would kill Kaido for them too.

Yeah we’ve had the alliance since Punk Hazard and things have been moving since then but it feels like the alliance at zou was where they were like “Yeah it’s time to do this” and loads of them were present there like I wouldn’t be opposed to Luffy Zoro Law snd Kinemon dealing the final blow together as Kid is part of the alliance but we all know he doesn’t have the same attitude as Law who is actually connected to these people as well. Even Law outright calling Kinemon by his name and just his name was like a moment where I was like “Damn it really makes you think that they’ve come a long way like Kinemon has known law and Luffy for a while now, Law actually considers him an ally” , even when he was so distant and cold to the Strawhats during their first encounter and cutting Kinemon apart and leaving him like nothing.

If not that then the scabbards could deal the final blow but as the journal state its this new generation of pirates that are going to take down Kaido whether they are the ones to kill him or not I’m honestly not sure. It could play out in the way we least expect it. Like the scabbards haven’t really played a huge role when you compare how much damage they did to Kaido and how much damage the 5 on the roof are doing, they went up there and performed abysmally and then Kin cried to Luffy, emotional as it was Kinemon isn’t a damsel in distress like most of the other people Luffy has saved he’s still a capable warrior and he’s not dead, he’s not even at deaths door by the look of things, I’m not sure what Kaidos intentions were by leaving them alive but all the scabbards are decent fighters and have time to recover below, they’re gonna stand up to the Yonko again most likely. Whether they will be the ones to land the killing blow or some one else or whether it’s multiple people we don’t know lol

This is just the way I see it.

Edit: Also what happens to Big Mom? And what happens to all the beast pirates? Surely they would have to kill his commanders too.

Last edited: