General & Others Oda's Obsession With Originality and Shockvalue And Why The Story Suffers

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
This thread is mostly a culmination of my thoughts regarding the state of Post Timeskip One Piece and why I think the story has ultimately suffered. This is not to say that there are not enjoyable aspects. We can always find something "good" about someone or something even if we do not particularly think highly of that person or thing. For me, my sticking point in the post time skip has been Linlin whose character I very much enjoy both for good and for bad.

(Sorry in advance for the grammatical errors)

Originality And Banality - I can confidently say that there is no such thing as originality especially in art where creators draw inspiration from each other in reciprocal manner yet, the goal when drawing from other sources, is to create something unique and to avoid banality. I am not here to criticize Oda for lack of creativity in fact, I think that One Piece is unique for its creativity and its ability to integrate so many concepts in a manner which seems oddly coherent and natural to the world itself.

Nevertheless, I think that Oda suffers from the obsession of being "original" and avoids banality much to the detriment of the story's coherence and consistency. It is well known at this point that Oda is indeed aware of the rabid fanbase and theory-crafting. He dislikes when we the fans are able to predict the outcome of a plot line or future events. This foresight is such an issue that he has been on record saying that he retroactively changes outcomes when he becomes aware that the fans have predicted it. The need to create mystery and to amaze fans with twists and turns is alluring for any storyteller. Often times, the most memorable aspects of a story is the unexpected twist. But, there are limits.

I truly believe that Post TS One Piece suffers because Oda is obsessed with unexpected twists and turns. Coherence will inevitably suffer when the outcome of a plot is changed retroactively just for the sake of shock value rather than the change occurring as a result of an unforeseen flaw during the initial conception of the plotline. Now, it's difficult to point out exactly which plot points Oda has changed retroactively as a result of fan foresight but we can see how his obsession with being original and unpredictable manifests in other aspects of the story.

Silhouettes, Name Drops And Ambiguous References
I've been bitching for years about Oda's overuse of Silhouettes in the post time skip. I think it's egregious when the likes of Holdem is first introduced as a shadow without very much relevance as to why his features or face would remain hidden. For example, Kozuki Oden remained a Silhouette for the longest time with no justification for why he ought to remain hidden. The same goes for Momonoske. Personally speaking, these reveals especially for characters we have never met before did nothing to make their introduction any more memorable. In fact, I remember being quite upset that I waited so long for Oden's design just to have his introduction be just another chapter. I would also say that the long wait greatly ruined his introduction because it raised expectations just to have them unmet.

I understand that building "hype" and "expectation" is part of the business model to keep readers interesting but to me, the manner in which Oda uses these tools is cheap and lazy because it adds nothing to the story nor the characters. It's a cheap way of generating interest and mystery when it is rehashed over and over again. Another recent example is the introduction of the flying 6. Showing their feet the chapter before their introduction rather than just showing them outright added nothing to my interest in these characters. I know that I don't speak for everyone. In fact, I was on the spoiler thread and saw the amount of interest their feet (particularly Who's Who) generated. Yet, to me withholding their appearance added nothing to the overall story. I don't care anymore about the flying six because I couldn't see their design for a chapter or two because it's not pertinent to how the story is supposed to progress.

Haki
Oda's obsession manifests most in his integration of Haki. I don't hate Haki nor do I think it's an uninteresting power system but, my interest in something only goes as far as I can understand that thing. The introduction of Haki has greatly reduced the coherence of the plot in unexpected ways. It may sound hyperbolic to make such a statement but if you consider that the primary form of conflict resolution in One Piece is through combat and violence, then such an assertion isn't so absurd. At the end of the day, everything will be resolved through Luffy's fists and beating down the tyrants that oppress the inhabitants of whatever Island the Strawhats find themselves on.

I won't go into detail on the countless instances where Haki renders the plot incoherent or unbelievable because there are already countless discussions on it. what I want to focus on is Oda's conscious choice of keeping Haki very ambiguous. He keeps Haki ambiguous for the same reason he changes his plot when fans figure out whats going to happen and for the same reason he keeps characters silhouettes or chooses to show their feet instead of just showing them even though witholding them ultimately adds nothing to the plot. That is, for the sake of avoiding banality, remaining unpredictable and to "shock" the readers.

It's clear that Haki is not a concept that Oda had fully solidified until the time skip but it does not excuse the ambiguity that surrounds a power system that has been an integral aspect of combat and plot resolution the past decade. Oda is creative and talented enough to sit down and provide clear and concise details regarding Haki. I say concise here because I know that walls of exposition is not everyone's cup of tea. I personally love long detailed and meticulous explanations of powers and mechanics. For example, the panel below is infamous in and out of the H x H fanbase but panels like that get me excited. I love info dumps. "I want everything explained to me or nothing at all"

I'm not holding Oda to Togashi's "autistic" standards on exposition but basic delineation and explanations as to how Haki works and interacts with the world wouldn't be so hard for Oda.

To put it bluntly, Oda keeps Haki opened ended and ambiguous because it's crutch. When the situation deteriorates and Luffy finds himself in with his back against the wall, Oda can always turn to an unforeseen aspect of Haki to give Luffy the power he needs to overcome his opponent. We see this last chapter where without very little prompt, Luffy becomes capable of imbuing COC into his attacks. I have no issue with Luffy doing so. I take issue because it comes out of thin air. There is no slow progression leading to his epiphany, it just happened. We the readers are forced to accept the result because we had no expectation of what Conquerors Haki does beyond overpowering the weak willed.

I'm sure that moment created "hype" and excitement for many but that hype to me is empty. To me, exciting moments are exciting when there is substance backing those moments. Luffy's realization about COC was not exciting to me because there was no build up. It simply just happened and a cheap flashback was enough to trigger growth.In the same vein, Luffy's victory over Katakuri did not excite me because whatever build up that occurred was rushed and was incoherent due to the thick wall of plot protection and plot induced stupidity imposed on the whole scenario.

Oda believes that keeping things about Haki ambiguous up until it's relevant for plot makes the story exciting and keeps readers hooked. I am sure that for many, that is the case but not for me. I can't help but feel that the story loses believability and tension when things occur so conveniently for Luffy when it comes to powers and combat. Every time Oda reveals something about Haki in the midst of combat in favor of Luffy, I can't help but call bullshit and feel like it's an ass pull. This of course is all personal preference. I'm sure there are many people who enjoy when Haki is exploited as a plot device.

The Beauty of Unoriginality And Expectations
Being unoriginal is not a bad thing. The same applies to knowing what to expect and having that expectation more or less fulfilled. Oda is a talented writer who I believe can still write a captivating narrative without resorting to cheap tricks for the sake of shock value and the subversion of expectations. I think that a major aspect of my enjoyment of something is how well I can engage with it, and how well I can understand it (even if I'm wrong). I think it's cool having an important character introduced without any added fluff. The importance of that character should be dictated by their actions and how they shape the world or influence those around them rather than through artificial measures like Silhouettes. I think it's far more impressive to highlight a characters importance and impact passively even when the audience knows things about the character.

The same can be applied to the plot and power system which progresses the plot. When authors create rules and strictly follow those rules for power systems, we the audience roughly know what to expect. We understand and can follow the rules of the world and through this understanding we can be active passengers in reaching a conclusion as to how a conflict can be resolved within established framework. I'm not imploring or damning Oda for not being obsessive and meticulous like Togashi nor am I trying to suggest that he turns Haki into a hard power system like nen. Yet, basic rules should be established to provide a framework for the readers to follow along. When readers know the rules of a system or world, and know that the author will strictly follow those rules, the resolution the author comes up with is far more satisfying because it follows the established rules. We the readers even with all the rules can only theorize so much. Only the author truly knows his/her characters. The authors solution even if restricted through self imposed rules, comes with its own uniqueness. Things will rarely feel or look like an asspull.

I feel like the writing of the Post Time Skip could truly be much better if Oda wasn't so obsessed with always being original or subverting reader expectations. The story suffers greatly because he chooses to focus on shocking the readers and remaining unpredictable rather than constructing a natural narrative which is free from cheap attention grabbing tactics.

Last edited:
I'm open to debate thats why I limited my thoughts. I can go in more detail if someone wants to debate.
This author is trying to run a 4 hour marathon in 5 minutes, to do so you have to take short cuts and progress in unnatural ways. Oda simply added too many characters and storylines, now he has no idea how to maneuver through this mess and often just leaps past all of it in attempts to just make luffy win because well.....that's what needs to happen. Oda at this point seems like an author who has a check list of things that he wants to just x off one by one, offhanded explanation's are not enough to make us care, so...what does he do? easy, just make it hype!, "but oda luffy just got one shot 2 weeks ago" ya....cause its hype, never mind how detrimental it is to current events, "but oda if it took luffy 2 weeks to learn the basics of advanced armament how did he just use advanced kings?!"....hype!. What oda does is check off what he needs to write and improvise what's in-between, writing for young boys is.....just make it look cool, Oda himself already said it and that's what your expectations should be.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
This thread is mostly a culmination of my thoughts regarding the state of Post Timeskip One Piece and why I think the story has ultimately suffered. This is not to say that there are not enjoyable aspects. We can always find something "good" about someone or something even if we do not particularly think highly of that person or thing. For me, my sticking point in the post time skip has been Linlin whose character I very much enjoy both for good and for bad.

Originality And Banality - I can confidently say that there is no such thing as originality especially in art where creators draw inspiration from each other in reciprocal manner yet, the goal when drawing from other sources, is to create something unique and to avoid banality. I am not here to criticize Oda for lack of creativity in fact, I think that One Piece is unique for its creativity and its ability to integrate so many concepts in a manner which seems oddly coherent and natural to the world itself.

Nevertheless, I think that Oda suffers from the obsession of being "original" and avoids banality much to the detriment of the story's coherence and consistency. It is well known at this point that Oda is indeed aware of the rabid fanbase and theory-crafting. He dislikes when we the fans are able to predict the outcome of a plot line or future events. This foresight is such an issue that he has been on record saying that he retroactively changes outcomes when he becomes aware that the fans have predicted it. The need to create mystery and to amaze fans with twists and turns is alluring for any storyteller. Often times, the most memorable aspects of a story is the unexpected twist. But, there are limits.

I truly believe that Post TS One Piece suffers because Oda is obsessed with unexpected twists and turns. Coherence will inevitably suffer when the outcome of a plot is changed retroactively just for the sake of shock value rather than the change occurring as a result of an unforeseen flaw during the initial conception of the plotline. Now, it's difficult to point out exactly which plot points Oda has changed retroactively as a result of fan foresight but we can see how his obsession with being original and unpredictable manifests in other aspects of the story.

I've been bitching for years about Oda's overuse of Silhouettes in the post time skip. I think it's egregious when the likes of Holdem is first introduced as a shadow without very much relevance as to why his features or face would remain hidden. For example, Kozuki Oden remained a Silhouette for the longest time with no justification for why he ought to remain hidden. The same goes for Momonoske. Personally speaking, these reveals especially for characters we have never met before did nothing to make their introduction any more memorable. In fact, I remember being quite upset that I waited so long for Oden's design just to have his introduction be just another chapter. I would also say that the long wait greatly ruined his introduction because it raised expectations just to have them unmet.

I understand that building "hype" and "expectation" is part of the business model to keep readers interesting but to me, the manner in which Oda uses these tools is cheap and lazy because it adds nothing to the story nor the characters. It's a cheap way of generating interest and mystery when it is rehashed over and over again. Another recent example is the introduction of the flying 6. Showing their feet the chapter before their introduction rather than just showing them outright added nothing to my interest in these characters. I know that I don't speak for everyone. In fact, I was on the spoiler thread and saw the amount of interest their feet (particularly Who's Who) generated. Yet, to me withholding their appearance added nothing to the overall story. I don't care anymore about the flying six because I couldn't see their design for a chapter or two because it's not pertinent to how the story is supposed to progress.

Haki
Oda's obsession manifests most in his integration of Haki. I don't hate Haki nor do I think it's an uninteresting power system but, my interest in something only goes as far as I can understand that thing. The introduction of Haki has greatly reduced the coherence of the plot in unexpected ways. It may sound hyperbolic to make such a statement but if you consider that the primary form of conflict resolution in One Piece is through combat and violence, then such an assertion isn't so absurd. At the end of the day, everything will be resolved through Luffy's fists and beating down the tyrants that oppress the inhabitants of whatever Island the Strawhats find themselves on.

I won't go into detail on the countless instances where Haki renders the plot incoherent or unbelievable because there are already countless discussions on it. what I want to focus on is Oda's conscious choice of keeping Haki very ambiguous. He keeps Haki ambiguous for the same reason he changes his plot when fans figure out whats going to happen and for the same reason he keeps characters silhouettes or chooses to show their feet instead of just showing them even though witholding them ultimately adds nothing to the plot. That is, for the sake of avoiding banality, remaining unpredictable and to "shock" the readers.

It's clear that Haki is not a concept that Oda had fully solidified until the time skip but it does not excuse the ambiguity that surrounds a power system that has been an integral aspect of combat and plot resolution the past decade. Oda is creative and talented enough to sit down and provide clear and concise details regarding Haki. I say concise here because I know that walls of exposition is not everyone's cup of tea. I personally love long detailed and meticulous explanations of powers and mechanics. For example, the panel below is infamous in and out of the H x H fanbase but panels like that get me excited. I love info dumps. "I want everything explained to me or nothing at all"

I'm not holding Oda to Togashi's "autistic" standards on exposition but basic delineation and explanations as to how Haki works and interacts with the world wouldn't be so hard for Oda.

To put it bluntly, Oda keeps Haki opened ended and ambiguous because it's crutch. When the situation deteriorates and Luffy finds himself in with his back against the wall, Oda can always turn to an unforeseen aspect of Haki to give Luffy the power he needs to overcome his opponent. We see this last chapter where without very little prompt, Luffy becomes capable of imbuing COC into his attacks. I have no issue with Luffy doing so. I take issue because it comes out of thin air. There is no slow progression leading to his epiphany, it just happened. We the readers are forced to accept the result because we had no expectation of what Conquerors Haki does beyond overpowering the weak willed.

I'm sure that moment created "hype" and excitement for many but that hype to me is empty. To me, exciting moments are exciting when there is substance backing those moments. Luffy's realization about COC was not exciting to me because there was no build up. It simply just happened and a cheap flashback was enough to trigger growth.In the same vein, Luffy's victory over Katakuri did not excite me because whatever build up that occurred was rushed and was incoherent due to the thick wall of plot protection and plot induced stupidity imposed on the whole scenario.

Oda believes that keeping things about Haki ambiguous up until it's relevant for plot makes the story exciting and keeps readers hooked. I am sure that for many, that is the case but not for me. I can't help but feel that the story loses believability and tension when things occur so conveniently for Luffy when it comes to powers and combat. Every time Oda reveals something about Haki in the midst of combat in favor of Luffy, I can't help but call bullshit and feel like it's an ass pull. This of course is all personal preference. I'm sure there are many people who enjoy when Haki is exploited as a plot device.

Being unoriginal is not a bad thing. The same applies to knowing what to expect and having that expectation more or less fulfilled. Oda is a talented writer who I believe can still write a captivating narrative without resorting to cheap tricks for the sake of shock value and the subversion of expectations. I think that a major aspect of my enjoyment of something is how well I can engage with it, and how well I can understand it (even if I'm wrong). I think it's cool having an important character introduced without any added fluff. The importance of that character should be dictated by their actions and how they shape the world or influence those around them rather than through artificial measures like Silhouettes. I think it's far more impressive to highlight a characters importance and impact passively even when the audience knows things about the character.

The same can be applied to the plot and power system which progresses the plot. When authors create rules and strictly follow those rules for power systems, we the audience roughly know what to expect. We understand and can follow the rules of the world and through this understanding we can be active passengers in reaching a conclusion as to how a conflict can be resolved within established framework. I'm not imploring or damning Oda for not being obsessive and meticulous like Togashi nor am I trying to suggest that he turns Haki into a hard power system like nen. Yet, basic rules should be established to provide a framework for the readers to follow along. When readers know the rules of a system or world, and know that the author will strictly follow those rules, the resolution the author comes up with is far more satisfying because it follows the established rules. We the readers even with all the rules can only theorize so much. Only the author truly knows his/her characters. The authors solution even if restricted through self imposed rules, comes with its own uniqueness. Things will rarely feel or look like an asspull.

I feel like the writing of the Post Time Skip could truly be much better if Oda wasn't so obsessed with always being original or subverting reader expectations. The story suffers greatly because he chooses to focus on shocking the readers and remaining unpredictable rather than constructing a natural narrative which is free from cheap attention grabbing tactics.
I want to create 10 alt accounts just so I could use all of them to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your post and what a good job you did.
Well written.
I agree with basically everything.
This has been bothering me for a long time. Multiple times I've said that, what I don't like about Wano, is that, aside from "hype moments", it's narrative feels just....uninspired.
Plots that serve no purpose except hype, plots thrown away, etc.
Hopefully it will get better later on.
Hopefully.
Do I have high expectations for this to happen? Not really, but I'm all in favor to be proved wrong by Oda. :kayneshrug:

I want to create 10 alt accounts just so I could use all of them to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your post and what a good job you did.
Well written.
I agree with basically everything.
This has been bothering me for a long time. Multiple times I've said that, what I don't like about Wano, is that, aside from "hype moments", it's narrative feels just....uninspired.
Plots that serve no purpose except hype, plots thrown away, etc.
Hopefully it will get better later on.
Hopefully.
Do I have high expectations for this to happen? Not really, but I'm all in favor to be proved wrong by Oda. :kayneshrug:
What's also really funny to add to your point is, the most rich story in wano is that of the scabbards and those are the exact characters everyone wants to be a sacrifice for the sake of "tension" shows you how little Oda made us care about them. What do you expect when we spent countless chapters of the scarbbards facing off against their most hated adversary that killed their master which ultimately amounted to nothing, people probably don't even remember it.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
What also really funny it add to your point is, the most rich story in wano is that of the scabbards and those are the exact characters everyone wants to be a sacrifice for the sake of "tension" shows you how little Oda made us care about them. What do you expect when we spent countless chapters of the scarbbards facing off against their most hated adversary then killed their master which ultimately amounted to nothing, people probably don't even remember it.
Dude, making we care about 10 main characters is already a job that not many people can pull off.
BUt then he freaking introduces 10 more people that we should care about almost as much as the main characters? Most of them were just thrown there. Denjiro, Kawamatsu, Kiku, who the fuck cares about these? Even Raizo. Freaking Neko and Inu were cool when they were just the Dukes. Once they became scabbards, they were reduced to "just two more scabbards".
Fuck these characters. Fuck this country. If Momo is indeed Uranus, I'm gonna be HELLA mad. Fuck this piece of shit kid.

Still one piece is the best manga. Oda wrote a lot of garbage ? Absolutely agree...but I have read many manga and none can be compared to one piece. Except hunter x hunter.

IMO my of one piece arcs are milked garbage but one piece still the best.

why one piece is the best despite all I said ...well simply put no matter what haters says the yonko conflict is what oda wrote one piece originally for and it’s what he succeeded in.

- big mom and everything connected to her
- first part of WCI was full of tension and we finally see the new world and yonko hype payoff

- the conflict then continues to after wano...big mom and kaido rocks plot that oda was building up ever since thriller bark is coming together

- we got the wano war that ties all those characters finally together...big mom pirates had already been fleshed out

Fandom likes garbage like water 7 saga with asspull and trash characters...broken power levels system etc...crying over a dying ship...only the Nico Robin plot was top tier.

@Rosella.Fiamingo for now enjoy big mom and try to overlook things that bothers such as oda clowning her sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Still one piece is the best manga. Oda wrote a lot of garbage ? Absolutely agree...but I have read many manga and none can be compared to one piece. Except hunter x hunter.

why one piece is the best despite all I said ...well simply put no matter what haters says the yonko conflict is what oda wrote one piece originally for and it’s what he succeeded in.

- first part of WCI was full of tension and we finally see the new world and yonko hype payoff

- the conflict then continues to after wano...big mom and kaido rocks plot that oda was building up ever since thriller bark is coming together

- we got the wano war that ties all those characters finally together...big mom pirates had already been fleshed out

Fandom likes garbage like water 7 saga with asspull and trash characters...broken power levels system etc...crying over a dying ship like clowns...only the Nico Robin plot was top tier.

I respect your opinion btw @Rosella.Fiamingo ...but for now enjoy big mom and try to overlook things that bothers such as oda clowning her sometimes...
Those are checkpoints not good writing the good writing is the actual execution and that is our issue with it. It's funny you say that about the marry, if that was not a conflict we would not have the iconic fight between the best friends, the great zoro moment where he showed his extreme loyalty to luffy, the iconic sogeking and the speech sanji gave to motivate a self doubting ussop....should i keep going?. Water7 and EL were peak one piece BECAUSE it was so strawhat centric, these characters relationship was tested and we saw what they were made of in the most dire of situations...they all played pivotal roles and shined exclusively. Some of their most iconic moments were in this arc, tell me in post time skip or so far in wano what moments truly rival those?. If Oda was writing EL like he is Wano, most of these moments would be skipped just so we can get to the luffy vs lucci fight and see how our hero will somehow beat this villain that we don't care for because oda didn't build enough around him to make us care then throw some side character chapter, gag scenes, another luffy running to lucci chapter and force the other strawhats into fights with characters we don't care about nor do we see as real threats because of how they have been neglected.

Those are checkpoints not good writing the good writing is the actual execution and that is our issue with it. It's funny you say that about the marry, if that was not a conflict we would not have the iconic fight between the best friends, the great zoro moment where he showed his extreme loyalty to luffy, the iconic sogeking and the speech sanji gave to motivate a self doubting ussop....should i keep going?. Water7 and EL were peak one piece BECAUSE it was so strawhat centric, these characters relationship was tested and we saw what they were made of in the most dire of situations...they all played pivotal roles and shined exclusively. Some of their most iconic moments were in this arc, tell me in post time skip or so far in wano what moments truly rival those?. If Oda was writing EL like he is Wano, most of these moments would be skipped just so we can get to the luffy vs lucci fight and see how our hero will somehow beat this villain that we don't care for because oda didn't build enough around him to make us care then throw some side character chapter, gag scenes, another luffy running to lucci chapter and force the other strawhats into fights with characters we don't care about nor do we see as real threats because of how they have been neglected.
so for you only problem is then straw hat being put into emotional situations ?

I think you should be getting that in next few chapters with the raid failing.

A very well written piece. I agree with everything.
Every time after I finish reading a raid chapter, I find myself thinking: where's HxH when you need it :(
Togashi is just too good to be compared with Oda.
Not taking anything from what Oda created, but It's been mostly a mediocre manga since TS.
Lol
Oda is better than togashi of course and one piece is still a masterpiece after time skip
Post automatically merged:

Really a shit topic
I didnt see that anything of that is really an issue
For the haki
Armament Haki is confirmed when smoker df appeared
You talked too much about haki but didnt say anything important
Haki is explained when reigley told luffy about it
From this moment to udon and knowing what ryou is , no new thing is revealed about haki
Nothing for the sake of luffy
Vs doffy
Law destroyed his body from inside
Luffy just beaten quarter doffy
And after katakuri fight luffy still weaker than him
You talk like oda uses haki to make luffy win but this never happened
And you talk about changing the plot if the readers preficted it
Oda said this,But did this really happened ? Do you have an evidence ?

Haki

The build up for using CoC was roger vs whitebeard clash
Luffy just used it as u use a sword for the first time
He cant control it and he wont win
No hype
It was all foreshadowed

Oda didnt build for doffy or kaido or kata ?
you dont care for kaido ?
how did you know that luffy will beat kaido ?

Fandom likes garbage like water 7 saga with asspull and trash characters...broken power levels system etc...crying over a dying ship...only the Nico Robin plot was top tier.

I respect your opinion btw @Rosella.Fiamingo ...but for now enjoy big mom and try to overlook things that bothers such as oda clowning her sometimes...
Oda never write garbage

I wonder how it is a one piece forum and have all those haters ?

I completely agree. I feel like a lot of WCI was Oda going crazy with subverting expectations.

Oda ain’t no Togashi. But if he just fucking explained haki properly and made actual sensible rules, then the power system wouldn’t suffer so greatly. Since yh....haki is a cool concept. But as of now I prefer DFs more since it’s more grounded and more consistent.
Give examples
And the powersystem doesnt suffer

Last edited:
If Oda was writing EL like Wano, there would be far, far, FAR more focus on the side characters. Which is my main issue with Post timeskip One Piece. The Strawhats now are basically sideline characters, in comparison to the arc specific side characters. When's the last time my favorite character, Usopp, had a meaningful moment? Apart from a CoO tease and knocking out Sugar for a gag, I literally can't think of one. In addition to the focus on side characters, Oda would stretch the hell out of the arc for little to no reason. I miss when arcs were 50-60 chapters. That sort of length feels right, but the bloated cast now pretty much requires longer arcs, which I guess I don't mind, but when we're spending 3-4 years on an arc, I want to be engaged in the conflict and what's going on, and Oda does a poor job of doing that. Like right now, I do not give a damn about the Scabbards. If one of them were to die, I'd be like "Well, that sucks.. anyway" (insert Jeremy Clarkson meme). And I know Oda wants me to care about these characters, but I just don't. I really don't.

If Oda was writing EL like Wano, there would be far, far, FAR more focus on the side characters. Which is my main issue with Post timeskip One Piece. The Strawhats now are basically sideline characters, in comparison to the arc specific side characters. When's the last time my favorite character, Usopp, had a meaningful moment? Apart from a CoO tease and knocking out Sugar for a gag, I literally can't think of one. In addition to the focus on side characters, Oda would stretch the hell out of the arc for little to no reason. I miss when arcs were 50-60 chapters. That sort of length feels right, but the bloated cast now pretty much requires longer arcs, which I guess I don't mind, but when we're spending 3-4 years on an arc, I want to be engaged in the conflict and what's going on, and Oda does a poor job of doing that. Like right now, I do not give a damn about the Scabbards. If one of them were to die, I'd be like "Well, that sucks.. anyway" (insert Jeremy Clarkson meme). And I know Oda wants me to care about these characters, but I just don't. I really don't.
Exactly, one of my favorite characters is ussop but like he is practically non-existent, every member of the scabbards has had more focus and importance than ussop had in the past couple arcs and its terrible. If i were to ask the one piece fandom to give me their top 3 favorite moments of every strawhat, I'm willing to bet all the money i have that almost all would be pre time skip.