Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogard

You can't win
One Piece - Chapter 968
Title: Oden's return

Support One Piece by subscribing to the new all access Shonen Jump released by VIZ or read the chapter for free on Monday on their website or phone app (if available in your region). For those who do not have access to VIZ can read the last 6 chapters on Shueisha's Manga Plus.

CHAPTER IS OUT ON
V1:
https://imgur.com/a/AiwJZng#PoGYZkb

V2: http://imgbox.com/vOwzDflM
VIZ:
Read Here

Please avoid posting one-word/one-liner comments such as "great chapter!" or "awesome, I'll read it later!" and ensure that you contribute to the discussion with your content!

Thanks for being a part of the WG community!

Last edited:
Lorewise, I think this flashback is great, dropping a lot of tidbits for the endgame of Wano and the series as a whole. However in terms of storytelling, Oda tends to spend too much time on tidbits and callbacks rather than on the elements of storytelling itself (character interaction etc). Toki is pretty much a blank slate, I feel nothing at all towards her risking her life (offscreen) for the children and we aren’t even actually shown her relationships with the people of Wano. Denjiro might as well be absent from the story itself and showing more of an optimistic Ashura Douji would make it even more tragic that he turned to crime and cynicism in his master’s absence. Now that the plot is rushing full steam ahead, expect it to be all about Kaido/Orochi and the anime will have to pick up the slack and fill in the gaps of characterisation and the intimate, fun-filled moments of preskip.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
It's about time we will see oden's death.

What surprises me is neither Roger pirates nor WB pirates interfere in this matter. I doubt they weren't aware of kaido growing influence in wano.

Two kings - if luffy is joy boy, shirahoshi is first king and Vivi doesn't fit in then what about second King being that perverted momo?

Though I would hate this and would prefer BB as second king but then who knows

Bogard

You can't win
Lorewise, I think this flashback is great, dropping a lot of tidbits for the endgame of Wano and the series as a whole. However in terms of storytelling, Oda tends to spend too much time on tidbits and callbacks rather than on the elements of storytelling itself (character interaction etc). Toki is pretty much a blank slate, I feel nothing at all towards her risking her life (offscreen) for the children and we aren’t even actually shown her relationships with the people of Wano. Denjiro might as well be absent from the story itself and showing more of an optimistic Ashura Douji would make it even more tragic that he turned to crime and cynicism in his master’s absence. Now that the plot is rushing full steam ahead, expect it to be all about Kaido/Orochi and the anime will have to pick up the slack and fill in the gaps of characterisation and the intimate, fun-filled moments of preskip.
I think Oda wanted first and foremost to focus on Oden's adventure for Oden to have his own perspective of what happened between the Kozuki clan(why Wano closed its borders) and the ancient kingdom during the void century, and with Roger and Whitebeard around, Oda was forced to focus more on them, but now that Oden found his answers, his perspective should go in coordination to Toki's who we have yet to know why she left the void century, so i think she'd get more developed from now on, or at least i hope she does.

There are still mysteries around why she specifically timed Momonosuke and the scabbards to go 20years into the future, like her final words "Like the Moon, you are ignorant of the Dawn. If there is one ardent wish that must be fufilled, it will be when nine shadows are cast woven together through twenty years of moonlits nights. Only then shall you understand the radiance of Dawn." which are still up to interpretations.

I get it now

So prime Moria and his original crew broke into Wano ( which was closed by Orochi backed by Kaido ) , then prime Moria had to fight Kaido for that
Post automatically merged:

man fuck Orochi , Fujitora should come back to Wano in Great Cleansing Fleet and kill him off

Last edited:
Oden reminding Toki that he was a beast back in the day
And I hope we gonna see this beast against a another beast(Kaido) soon in a battle.
I don´t usually want more of Oda, but for the fucking sake, pls Oda senpai don´t offpanel this battle, at least make one full battle chapter, we don´t get any chance anymore to see Oden real power and his fightstyle.

Oden vs Kaido incoming ! !
We'll finally see if it was a fair fight or not
Yeah and I hope it will not get offpaneled...

And I hope we gonna see this beast against a another beast(Kaido) soon in a battle.
I don´t usually want more of Oda, but for the fucking sake, pls Oda senpai don´t offpanel this battle, at least make one full battle chapter, we don´t get any chance anymore to see Oden real power and his fightstyle.

Nah it's way too important for Oda to skip it
It's the reason of why Oden is dead after all
Can't see Oda skipping it tbh

Nah it's way too important for Oda to skip it
It's the reason of why Oden is dead after all
Can't see Oda skipping it tbh
I really want to believe it but it is again Oda which we talk about, we can never be sure...
:pepehands::pepehands::pepehands:

Oden vs Kaido is the main event, alone to don´t skip it, the fight would bring a big impact for the current events who focus for the war with the beast pirates vs Luffy alliance.

Very good chapter once again! Tons of endgame lore hidden in it!

I expect this flashback to continue for two or three chapters. Next chapter will probably show us how Oden dealt with Orochi (or imposter?) and deepen his relationship with Toki and the country. After all we're still four years away from his defeat and execution.

The chapter(s) after that will then finally show us Orochi's biggest betrayal, Kaido vs Oden and the end of the Kozukis.

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️

I think this battle is too important for Oda to skip. The scar, Oden's death, the castle burning, and the time jump, all need to be fleshed out in detail.

Lord, we're back to the mangapanda levels of translations now, aren't we.

The Sea King chat was borderline incoherent but the gist of the part with the Roger Pirates seems to be that Luffy is Joyboy reincarnate and all the "man Roger was waiting for/we were too early stuff" is more literally about him than I previous thought. I always thought it was the Roger Pirates hoped that someone would finish what they couldn't, but it looks now like they full on knew some prophesied stuff about Luffy. Will be interested to see what Shanks talking and crying with Roger about, particularly if Shanks is related to Xebec like some have suggested.

Wano stuff was expected, but still good. Wonder how Orochi will snake his way out if being killed by Oden next chapter.

I really want to believe it but it is again Oda which we talk about, we can never be sure...
:pepehands::pepehands::pepehands:

Oden vs Kaido is the main event, alone to don´t skip it, the fight would bring a big impact for the current events who focus for the war with the beast pirates vs Luffy alliance.
Yeah it's true that it's Oda we're talking about but still..this is the most important part of wano
This is the thing that everyone is waiting for
Oda can't mess it up lol and i bet that he knows it too

Status
Not open for further replies.