One Piece Color Walk 9 will be out soon (interview with Eisaku Kubonouchi)

D

Deleted member 83

Eisaku said he’s not the type of person who really watches anime or read manga, so he was worry if he can do it but of course he had heard about one piece and its world. Apparently the director of this cm project is a huge fan, and everytime Eisaku would receive “lectures” on how he should do the characters from him.

Part on character design
Oda: I can feel your tremendous commitment. I’m sorry, considering the number of characters, it must have been difficult for you to draw
Eisaku: Well yeah, it really does have an incredible amount of characters (lol)
Oda: I like creating characters, I like designing them. I would create a character and later be troubled by it. Sometimes I don’t really have a use for certain characters but then there’s the feeling that “since I created them, I have to use them”.
Eisaku: For those kind of characters, would you make design tables for them?
Oda: I don’t go that far, I’ll briefly draw some rough sketches, and that’s generally how it goes.
Eisaku: So, it’s like you remember details such as their body shapes when you draw them?
Oda: No, I don’t remember them. For those main characters who have actions all the time, I’ll remember them eventually, but for the jumble of characters that I created, I’ll draw them as I look back at past sketches and data.
Eisaku: Make sense considering the amount of characters you have.
Oda: It’s weird when you thought you remember and draw things based on that, like you forget about the wounds and scars that’re supposed to be on their face and body; it’s always those type of mistakes, to the point that it’ll be faster if I just check them from the start.
Eisaku: I see, that’s how it is. I was wondering about how you managed to create such amount of characters.
Oda: That is because I like to, really.

Oda’s favorite cup noodle flavors are normal and seafood.

W

wordyworm

More information from redon in Arlong Park Forums.

Full special interview between Eiichiro Oda and Eisaku Kubonouchi ("Hungry Days" Cup Noodle CM character designer) in Weekly Shonen Jump!!

The little notes about Vivi's hairline :sweat:
Post automatically merged:

Sometimes I don’t really have a use for certain characters but then there’s the feeling that “since I created them, I have to use them”.
We know, Oda!
:smithnie:
Oda: It’s weird when you thought you remember and draw things based on that, like you forget about the wounds and scars that’re supposed to be on their face and body; it’s always those type of mistakes, to the point that it’ll be faster if I just check them from the start.
Didn't he say something similar when asked about Shank's missing scar at Reverie? I think it might have been during the Fischer's interview.
Eisaku: I see, that’s how it is. I was wondering about how you managed to create such amount of characters.
Oda: That is because I like to, really.
That's such an Oda answer and I love it. Eisaku seems a little bewildered, lol
Oda’s favorite cup noodle flavors are normal and seafood.
Even the great Oda enjoys plain Cup Noodles!

Last edited by a moderator: