One Piece Episode 1013 - Yamato's Past - The Man Who Came for an Emperor of the Sea

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • 4/5

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • 3/5

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 2/5

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
One Piece EPISODE 1013
"Yamato's Past - The Man Who Came for an Emperor of the Sea"

ヤマトの過去 四皇の首を狙う男
Yamato no Kako - Yonkō no Kubi o Nerau Otoko

Opening 24 | PAINT - I Don't Like Mondays.
Chapter(s) : -

Screenplay | 中山智博 - Tomohiro Nakayama
Art | 黄国威 - Guo Wei Huang
Animation | 高木雅之 - Masayuki Takagi
Direction | 中村亮太 - Ryōta Nakamura
Storyboard | ___
Airdate: March 5, 2022

[Episode 1014 PREVIEW]

OP 24 - TV Size

Last edited:
Good episode.

Black Maria'a ancient zoan looks quite interesting for sure, seeing someone with a Sabertooth df is also pretty dope.

I love the extended flashback with Yamato and Ace. (Yamato sure was impressive holding her own against Ace for sure. I know after this episode people will have that Yamato and Ace ship going lol.

Ace talking Law, Kid and Bege making a name for themselves but also realistically saying “yeah they’re big, but they don’t compare to me and my little brother will blow them away when he sets out.” honestly gave me chills.
(Ace calling Cavendish "caven something" was hilarious).

• Black Maria with that seductive red-light district lighting. I wonder how Sanji feels about mermaid Kokoro now.

• Who's Who was actually right that his face and connection to Jinbe didn't matter.
  • Ace's crew in full color and actually doing things:noo:
  • Is Yamato here to stop Ace help blow up Onigashima with him?:doffytroll:

• Yamato almost using her DF against Sasaki but never in consideration for Ace. Oof. That shows his level.
  • Statue must be Yonko-level. Even Yamato is having a hard time.:kaimoji:

• Cavenish looks way too cool here considering the crowd he's being lumped in with.

• Yamato better be drunk otherwise blushing that much around Ace looks pretty awkward.:catblush:

• Good stopping point, though I wanted Yamato to whip out her book and mention the D.
Gorgeous episode. Animation, scenic art, OST selection and Nakamura returning to the director's chair since Whole Cake all very pleasing. Black Maria and Who's Who portion improved quite a bit being moved to this episode. The camera panning upwards from Jinbe on the ground to emphasize his opponents are literally looking down at him, followed by a gorgeous overhead shot of WW's entire playpen as they talk about their positions. The focus on Maria's creepy spider head. It's the small things.

The extended pace and connecting scenes definitely helped sell Ace's Onigashima adventure over the mere ~5 pages in the manga. Ace vs Yamato looked clean - Ace overwhelming the environment with varied AOE while Yamato kept it simple and held back to tone down the destruction. Fighting indoors, a private duel outdoors, opening themselves as they see the dawn, drinking like good friends that entire next day. It is a bit different from the manga like no fodder to give us useless reactions but as a result Ace and Yamato's developing bond feels more natural and focused. Kaido and Roger paralleled with flashbacks, Yamato getting scared by the statue and struggling to break it to show her mental state were both fine ideas. If I had to nitpick, it would no amazing shot of Yamato declaring her dream in front of the busted statue but the sea in the background also works.
Chapter 1000 around the corner too. My hype is back :stealthblack:

Last edited:
Criticisms I have are:
-They changed the context of Yamato fighting Ace imo. In the manga it felt like she stopped him from destroying more of the island for no reason while in the anime it felt like she was part of the beast pirates...weird:few:
-They stretched the scene of her destroying the statue, it was as if it was made of freaking Wapol metal:seriously:
-The scene of her declaring her dream was adapted in a weird way, in the manga and in the "we are one" video it was a nice scene with her posing with the destroyed statue behind her , they even have the scene in the openig but then changed it in the actual episode for no reason:okay:

Still a pretty good episode though, she was very cute and the extra moments between her and Ace were great:cheers: