One Piece Episode 920 - A Great Sensation! Sanji's Special Soba!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • 4/5

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • 3/5

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5

• 0/5

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Decent episode.

O-Toko's performance is exactly what I expected from her based on the manga. Sanji and Franky's highlight moments were well handled. They didn't overstay their welcome, and were well paced. I do think the moment explaining the joke about Toko went on tiny bit too long, but I'm not that bothered by it. I really digged the camaraderie played up as well. The ending shot of the 4 Strawhats recognizing the task at hand and walking together as if they were the A-team got me pumped.

The little filler moment of how Usopp met Toko was cute,
and ties in well with future events to come.
Seems they are clearing the deck for the next episode to be almost purely Komurasaki focus, as they shoved Luffy meeting Hyou at the end of this episode.

Overall, a good episode. After the little lull that was the second half of act 1, the anime has been picking itself back up with some nice paced reprieve episodes.

Last edited:
Second half act 1 was good
Decent episode.

O-Toko's performance is exactly what I expected from her based on the manga. Sanji and Franky's highlight moments were well handled. They didn't overstay their welcome, and were well paced. I do think the moment explaining the joke about Toko went on tiny bit too long, but I'm not that bothered by it. I really digged the camaraderie played up as well. The ending shot of the 4 Strawhats recognizing the task at hand and walking together as if they were the A-team got me pumped.

The little filler moment of how Usopp met Toko was cute,
and ties in well with future events to come.
Seems they are clearing the deck for the next episode to be almost purely Komurasaki focus, as they shoved Luffy meeting Hyou at the end of this episode.

Overall, a good episode. After the little lull that was the second half of act 1, the anime has been picking itself back up with some nice paced reprieve episodes.

It's great that you enjoyed it. Me, not so much.
Nothing without Zoro never excites you or if it on Sanji side more ;).

Expect more as he will be facing Page One and Drake later. Not to mention Stealth Black/Soba-Mask GREATNESS Debut and Moments :finally::steef::endthis:!!!!!
Post automatically merged:

Also who said Sanji can't be intimidating or doesn't have look of fierce like Luffy and Zoro? This episode capture he can be fierce if he wants as well look of intimidation as glint in his eyes just like theirs. He isn't M3 member and left-hand to future PK for nothing XD.

Last edited:
Sanji's fight was great. I missed seeing him in action, but we get Stealth Black later, so more fun is to come. Toko was a bit creepy to me, but that's okay. Also the scene with Luffy and Raizo made me laugh. If Raizo was going undercover you'd think he wouldn't wear something so outlandishly colorful and noticeable, lol.

Enjoyable episode overall. (y)

Sanji's fight was great. I missed seeing him in action, but we get Stealth Black later, so more fun is to come. Toko was a bit creepy to me, but that's okay. Also the scene with Luffy and Raizo made me laugh. If Raizo was going undercover you'd think he wouldn't wear something so outlandishly colorful and noticeable, lol.

He was in action last arc. He be getting full fight later and fight with Page One and Drake. Can't wait to see extended beautiful animation fight for them :).

Last edited:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Nothing without Zoro never excites you or if it on Sanji side more ;).
If that was intended as a jab, at least read the conversation we were having. I said the second half of act 1, which featured Zoro, wasn't to my liking, while I've been enjoying the start of Act 2 where Zoro has yet to make a single appearance.

By the by, most of my favorite moments in Wano don't even involve Zoro.

Also, I like when Sanji shines. I actually like him, thank you.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I mean, it was more the middle, like, the majority of Bakura town where they were fighting the sumo and Holdem. The ending of Act 1 was insane. The Kaido fight was ridiculously well done, and the finishing episode for Act 1 was even praised by Oda.
I did not like how Luffy vs Kaido was handled. I think they grossly misinterpreted the interactions. I also thought Dragon Kaido in general felt off.

I did not like how Luffy vs Kaido was handled. I think they grossly misinterpreted the interactions. I also thought Dragon Kaido in general felt off.
I would say it significantly improved on the source material. Considering action(or panelling just generally) isn't Oda's strong suit nowadays, the anime team taking liberties to make the fight more interesting was fine by me. I particularly liked the addition of the King Kong Gun. That was something that really should have been in the manga, but wasn't, so it being shown to be completely ineffective was a major selling point of the anime over the manga for me. The framing of that scene as a big heroic final clash between the hero and villains finishing attack further sold that for me, considering that's typically how Luffy wins the majority of his fights; by overpowering his opponents finishing attack. Felt like a nice little subversion to have him be the one completely annihilated in that scenario.

The way luffy and raizo was moving during that part was hilarious

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I would say it significantly improved on the source material. Considering action(or panelling just generally) isn't Oda's strong suit nowadays, the anime team taking liberties to make the fight more interesting was fine by me. I particularly liked the addition of the King Kong Gun. That was something that really should have been in the manga, but wasn't, so it being shown to be completely ineffective was a major selling point of the anime over the manga for me. The framing of that scene as a big heroic final clash between the hero and villains finishing attack further sold that for me, considering that's typically how Luffy wins the majority of his fights; by overpowering his opponents finishing attack. Felt like a nice little subversion to have him be the one completely annihilated in that scenario.
That's my problem with it. Luffy vs Kaido in the manga was not a hero tragically failing, it was Luffy getting in over his head, realizing how outmatched he was against Kaido. That fight in the manga was but a means to an end, and the anime painted it as this climatic battle when it really wasn't. Luffy vs Croc Round 1 was even less one-sided.

I don't like overindulgence, and that's what the anime version of Luffy vs Kaido was. Over-excessive effects works which dragged out the snappy back and forth. Luffy was on a mission to tear Kaido apart, and his quick and relentless assault leading to nothing made it him look like a total ant. In the anime, it felt like Luffy could actually win. That's not how it should've felt.

That's my problem with it. Luffy vs Kaido in the manga was not a hero tragically failing, it was Luffy getting in over his head, realizing how outmatched he was against Kaido. That fight in the manga was but a means to an end, and the anime painted it as this climatic battle when it really wasn't. Luffy vs Croc Round 1 was even less one-sided.

I don't like overindulgence, and that's what the anime version of Luffy vs Kaido was. Over-excessive effects works which dragged out the snappy back and forth. Luffy was on a mission to tear Kaido apart, and his quick and relentless assault leading to nothing made it him look like a total ant. In the anime, it felt like Luffy could actually win. That's not how it should've felt.
Luffy vs Kaido was the climatic battle to end off act 1. I have no idea where you got the impression that it wasn't intended to be a climatic battle...

The manga likewise had it look like Luffy had done something to Kaido. If anything, the anime should be praised for selling that point far better than the manga did. The manga is a fairly dull read, so I don't really have any problems with the anime "over indulging" by making Oda's nearly unreadable action something visually enjoyable, considering yes, this was intended to be a huge turning point for the arc.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Luffy vs Kaido was the climatic battle to end off act 1. I have no idea where you got the impression that it wasn't intended to be a climatic battle...

The manga likewise had it look like Luffy had done something to Kaido. If anything, the anime should be praised for selling that point far better than the manga did. The manga is a fairly dull read, so I don't really have any problems with the anime "over indulging" by making Oda's nearly unreadable action something visually enjoyable, considering yes, this was intended to be a huge turning point for the arc.
Act 1 in a Kabuki play is just the auspicious start. Even the resolution of that "fight" was scoffed at and played for laughs. Kaido vs Luffy served 2 purposes-

1. To show the difference between Luffy and an emperor
2. Get him into Udon prison mines to start his plot line there

It was about as climatic as Zoro vs the Samurai at the beginning.

You seem to think the action in the anime is better. Outside of some neat key shots, it did nothing for me. It seems you predicate your enjoyment out of the combat sequence. I enjoy those as well when handled well, but the ones in display for that fight left little to be desired on their own merit, and in their place a fight that was deviating more and more from the source and its intended effect.

Act 1 in a Kabuki play is just the auspicious start. Even the resolution of that "fight" was scoffed at and played for laughs. Kaido vs Luffy served 2 purposes-

1. To show the difference between Luffy and an emperor
2. Get him into Udon prison mines to start his plot line there

It was about as climatic as Zoro vs the Samurai at the beginning.

You seem to think the action in the anime is better. Outside of some neat key shots, it did nothing for me. It seems you predicate your enjoyment out of the combat sequence. I enjoy those as well when handled well, but the ones in display for that fight left little to be desired on their own merit, and in their place a fight that was deviating more and more from the source and its intended effect.
How didn't the Luffy vs Kaido fight in the anime fulfill either of those two purposes? The anime literally went out of its way to add a line highlighting that Kaido thought Luffy was a complete clown...

I wouldn't say that the fight deviated from its purpose at all, if anything, just improved on the merits the fight already had in the manga.

Considering that the Kaido fight sets up Luffy's entire training arc in Act 2, and is literally the closer for Wano, I think its certainly a bit more climatic than Zoro starting off the arct(though that's also a great scene).

How weren't the combat scenes well handled?

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
How didn't the Luffy vs Kaido fight in the anime fulfill either of those two purposes? The anime literally went out of its way to add a line highlighting that Kaido thought Luffy was a complete clown...

I wouldn't say that the fight deviated from its purpose at all, if anything, just improved on the merits the fight already had in the manga.

Considering that the Kaido fight sets up Luffy's entire training arc in Act 2, and is literally the closer for Wano, I think its certainly a bit more climatic than Zoro starting off the arct(though that's also a great scene).

How weren't the combat scenes well handled?
Of course the anime followed the manga's narrative path. It's adapting it. However, it failed to project how the fight is presented. And that was a onesided stomp which showed Luffy was way out of his league. In the anime, that wasn't the case at all. It was a more a fight in which the hero valiantly put up a fight against the evil doer.

When I came out of Luffy vs Kaido in the manga, I legitimately thought "how will Luffy overcome this impossible wall?" Whereas in the anime, it seemed more like "man, if only Luffy didn't go for that tactic." I know that in both, Luffy is suppose to be outmatched in the end, but the anime failed to convey it as well as the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.