One Piece Episode 948 - Start Fighting Back! Luffy and the Red Scabbard Samurai!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 4/5

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 3/5

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
Good episode.

Kawamatsu looked dope i like his design (A sumo wrestling kappa sure is an interesting one lol)

Now we finally know Kiiku’s secret, no wonder Zoro thought Kiiku was hiding something lol.

The scene with them lining up together looking badasses was awesome

Even when Big Mom is captured she is still hella scary lol.

Like the combination attack of Luffy and Chopper.

Can't until Kidd and Killer finally get back to kicking ass together.

• Solitaire finally getting some fanservice:yonjidoggy:
  • Kawamatsu's sumo palm thrusts infused with ryou, then the spiraling river attack into the sky with a glowing green blade.:steef: Easily the highlight of the episode.
  • Kawamatsu looks like the Yoda of One Piece, but then he stands next to Luffy and completely dwarfs him.:doffytroll: I have always been bothered by the fact that Raizo ended up taller than Doflamingo.

• The Impel Down gang is here! Let's see, we got a fishman (Jinbe/Kawamatsu), an okama (Ivankov/Kiku), the trickster who took care of the locks with his tools (Inazuma/Raizo), rival of Luffy's generation (Buggy/Kid), guy defeated by another Strawhat (Bon Clay/Killer), and the logia user off handling the snails (Caribou/Crocodile).

• Dark and stormy over in Onigashima, high noon with not a cloud in the sky in Udon. Kaido sure picked the wrong place for his headquarters.
  • Ninja fodder took Zoro's attack and vanished. :mihugh: Promote that man to Headliner immediately.

• Since Kawamatsu's katana has a green glow this episode, Hyo's blade goes light blue, Kiku's blade goes violet, Raizo throws lightning yellow shuriken, and Luffy has his red aura. Udon looking more colorful!

Nice episode. Masked Kiku of the Lingering Snow not creating snow illusions behind the attacks like the manga was unfortunate, they could have done something cool with that. The rest of the episode was quite alright.
So Episode 948 is adapting part of chapter 948, and now 949 will be adapting part of chapter 949. Uh, not very encouraging that it took this long for the adaptaion to get this far, but it's not every day you get see the numbers overlapping like this.

The whole zoro/hiyori/assassin scene felt so out of one piece anime. :nicagesmile:
Thought I was watching some other samurai anime.
Yeah, its rare for One Piece to feel atmospheric.

Kawamatsu's big scene this animated Katsumi Ishizuka.
In anticipation for Ishizuka big scene on this episode, the One Piece OP twitter retweeted Katsumi Ishizuka genga for Zoro's big scene in 934. Genga is basically the term for key animation drawings. Its incredibly cool to see that this was seemingly completely drawn on paper(though I'm unsure about some of the impact frames).

Funny thing about Katsumi Ishizuka's scene this episode, apparently he told the episode director that he wasn't going to go that hard in terms of sheet numbers. The result was still great.

Yeah, its rare for One Piece to feel atmospheric.

Kawamatsu's big scene this animated Katsumi Ishizuka.
In anticipation for Ishizuka big scene on this episode, the One Piece OP twitter retweeted Katsumi Ishizuka genga for Zoro's big scene in 934. Genga is basically the term for key animation drawings. Its incredibly cool to see that this was seemingly completely drawn on paper(though I'm unsure about some of the impact frames).

Funny thing about Katsumi Ishizuka's scene this episode, apparently he told the episode director that he wasn't going to go that hard in terms of sheet numbers. The result was still great.
Was not expecting this info. Appreciate it.

Very confusing episode.

By far the best and most atmospheric part was the whole Zoro/Hiyori/Ninja scene, which was actually half-filler material.

I'm not complaining, since it was a wonderfully done scene, but why on earth did they put so much focus on that particular scene?