• 2/5

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 1/5

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 0/5

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
Solid episode.

Holy shit this episode gave me chills Luffy has had a lot of "Captain" moments in the series, but never has he seemed so much like a leader, he minded me so much of Dragon in this episode

God damn that ending “I saw a slightly dangerous future”, Damn, Luffy’s future sight will never get old, every time he mentions/uses it all reminds me how much that Katakuri fight helped Luffy.

Luffy stopping Babanuki from shooting the “excitement shell” because owns the right to “Elephant Gun” Holy shit RIP Babanuki.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
🐐
In the depth of prison shackles and despair, still starts a revolution for freedom. Luffy might never becomes the "strongest" character in One Piece but he's the most deserving of being King. Great character episode.

Yeah, this episode was pretty GOAT, and that is entirely due to the direction, the storyboarding and how great Luffy's speech was. Tanaka absolutely nailed it. Holy crap. I could not have been happier.

The animation this episode was pretty solid, the main highlights being in the first half early on with the allies vs the Udon guards, however, the second half also had some cool moments, like Luffy throwing the prisoners or Babanuki exploding.

The art throughout the episode was consistently great, and there was also a nice level of animation to the character acting of the prisoners who got shot that really sells the agony they were in. Great stuff on that front. Hirotaka Ito's art was fantastic in the second half.

Masahiro Kitazaki is presumed to have done a lot of stuff in the early part of the episode. He did that headliner shooting the prisoners and a lot of the transformation stuff, as well as this really cool bit of action. He did a lot of the nicer art in the first half of the episode, along with corrections from Keeichi Ichikawa.

Yoshihiro Kitano is presumed to have done this scene. Although I think some of it is a bit rough, I think its all conceptually really cool stuff. I think Kawamatsu's river retribution still looks really devastating.

Toei Phils animator Dennis Cablao is presumed to have animated Luffy throwing the prisoners, which has some nice timing to it as he slams the prisoners down.

And Babanuki exploding is presumed to have been animated by Hirotaka Ito himself, the animation director for the second half of the episode. This was a really cool scene, even though Babanuki is unfortunately dimmed(him exploding has some really cool sketchiness to it). I got serious hokuto no ken vibes from Babanuki getting turned into flames at the end of it.

Directionally, the music placement was absolutely on point, with every OST matching up perfectly and enhancing the dialogue and visuals. Hell, despite the limited content covered, the pacing for the episode was actually really nice. Since this episode had a lot to take in visually in terms of the scale of the prisoners, there was a lot the director did to sell the horror of the situation, like seeing prisoners getting massacred and turned into 'mummy's.

Overall, an absolute banger of an episode. I couldn't have been happier with how that turned out(though I still feel like Mummy could have had a more interesting effect as opposed to just being green mold).

Next episode looks like its going to be really good as well. At least in the directional sense.

• I do like how Babanuki gets an entire firing squad to help spread the plague.

• Kiku making up for last week? Those were some nice demonic stills.
  • Kid and Killer seriously wasted an episode not freeing themselves.:memehm:

• I think the Zombie would have been a more appropriate name for this plague. I do like how all the infected slowly crawl towards you out of sheer agony. Since their brains are overheating, they probably can't even think straight about how they're actively making things worse.

• Did Luffy's speech get a new OST?

• Solitaire looked so good against a legendary Scabbard. But if it's a horde of overworked and underfed Udon prisoners, it's curtains.
  • Babanuki got BabaNUKED. :willsmith:Absolutely brutal with his entire corpse on fire.
Alright episode. Even though Udon is "conquered", we're not quite out of here yet.

I do love how Luffy steps up as a leader this episode. Back in Alabasta, this role would have been left up to a member of the ruling family like Vivi. Luffy gets his own hands dirty, decides to experience the same pain his fellow prisoners are feeling to show he's on their side. Luffy is inspiring these men to get up and fight. Luffy is raising an army in Wano. Momo is still too young and in the process of learning to assume such a role. Oden died far too early in his life, after that he jumped time, therefore he hasn't quite developed to the extent of Vivi has as a ruler. Luffy is setting an example for Momo, learned from watching characters like Vivi and Dalton and Riku, passing his knowledge to Wano's future shogun. Momo is then basically inherting a bit of everyone's will. Nice bit of character development for them both.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Solid episode.

Holy shit this episode gave me chills Luffy has had a lot of "Captain" moments in the series, but never has he seemed so much like a leader, he minded me so much of Dragon in this episode

God damn that ending “I saw a slightly dangerous future”, Damn, Luffy’s future sight will never get old, every time he mentions/uses it all reminds me how much that Katakuri fight helped Luffy.

Luffy stopping Babanuki from shooting the “excitement shell” because owns the right to “Elephant Gun” Holy shit RIP Babanuki.
I have to concur on the Dragon matter here.

It somewhat reminded me of the time Dragon tried to predict the future claiming that his' and Luffy's meeting was eventually kicking in closer, right after he had gotten his own bounty.

There's also the leadership aspect to consider. And Luffy was never as much of a leader as in this episode imo. Perhaps only when EL happened in the best case.

• I do like how Babanuki gets an entire firing squad to help spread the plague.

• Kiku making up for last week? Those were some nice demonic stills.
  • Kid and Killer seriously wasted an episode not freeing themselves.:memehm:

• I think the Zombie would have been a more appropriate name for this plague. I do like how all the infected slowly crawl towards you out of sheer agony. Since their brains are overheating, they probably can't even think straight about how they're actively making things worse.

• Did Luffy's speech get a new OST?

• Solitaire looked so good against a legendary Scabbard. But if it's a horde of overworked and underfed Udon prisoners, it's curtains.
  • Babanuki got BabaNUKED. :willsmith:Absolutely brutal with his entire corpse on fire.
Alright episode. Even though Udon is "conquered", we're not quite out of here yet.

I do love how Luffy steps up as a leader this episode. Back in Alabasta, this role would have been left up to a member of the ruling family like Vivi. Luffy gets his own hands dirty, decides to experience the same pain his fellow prisoners are feeling to show he's on their side. Luffy is inspiring these men to get up and fight. Luffy is raising an army in Wano. Momo is still too young and in the process of learning to assume such a role. Oden died far too early in his life, after that he jumped time, therefore he hasn't quite developed to the extent of Vivi has as a ruler. Luffy is setting an example for Momo, learned from watching characters like Vivi and Dalton and Riku, passing his knowledge to Wano's future shogun. Momo is then basically inherting a bit of everyone's will. Nice bit of character development for them both.

hah. nice babanuki pun there. he got bababoomed.

Last edited:
Why didn't Luffy just use the CoC on the prisoners(those who were infected) to knock them out, thereby depriving the Kaido pirates of leverage over the prisoners and possible hostages and victims. A much more productive and safe method than to get infected yourself and drop out of the fight.
Why didn't Babanuki immediately get infected from touching an infected Luffy, as everyone else did before?
Although Luffy's speech on the musical accompaniment was worth it all.
Has this OST been used before or is it something new?

Why didn't Luffy just use the CoC on the prisoners(those who were infected) to knock them out, thereby depriving the Kaido pirates of leverage over the prisoners and possible hostages and victims. A much more productive and safe method than to get infected yourself and drop out of the fight.
Why didn't Babanuki immediately get infected from touching an infected Luffy, as everyone else did before?
Although Luffy's speech on the musical accompaniment was worth it all.
Has this OST been used before or is it something new?
Plot
Plot
Have no idea