One Piece Episode 962 - Changing Destiny - The Whitebeard Pirates Cast Ashore!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • 4/5

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 3/5

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 2/5

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Damn Oden is a beast, Ashura Doji is so slouch fighting for 1 day against Oden.

This episode makes the“Raizo-dono is safe” even greater for sure.

Oden is out here collecting Retainers like Pokemons lol, Small Kawamatsu/Neko/Inu are all tocute. (That scene with the Retainers walking all together looked badass)

So Orochi did eavesdrop the Father and the son's conversation,

It’s so damn cool to see a Young Whitebeard in a Oden flashback

• Boy Ashura was 15-16 (and who knows how many years before) when he held down the largest territory in a powerful country like Wano. Not bad at all. :catrude:

• Always love when the rain stops for a split second in a battle.
  • Oden unleashing aura beam swords??:chopoff: CHEATING. DISQUALIFY THIS MAN.
  • Is breaking out into dance numbers in public normal for Kuri? :queenhear: Now I see why Oden did that for 5 years.

• Kaido channeling his inner Handsome Squidward with that face.:saden:

• Kawamatsu's mom might be the only relevant fish-woman. The rest of the girls are always mermaids.
  • Inu, Neko and Kawa looked cute in the manga, but they're kinda ugly here.:mihugh:

• That samurai training montage looked great. Izo must be furious he didn't have Kiku's growth spurt.
  • Empty background, purple petals, glowing white robes with the red moons and facial close ups. :kata:That's Oden's samurai done right.

• Whitey Bae showing even more skin catded

• Whitebeard's new voice actor is Crocodile's. I'm still not used to that. RIP the original guy, he was a legend.
Another solid episode. Although I think the art was the weakest I've seen in the last 2 months, it made up for it in other areas. Oden and Ashura fighting in the rain was enjoyable, we hardly get samurai vs samurai action in Wano. That little celebration dance where Kuri people honor Daimyo Oden added a lot to Ashura tearing up about seeing peace. Oden's procession in the capital was my favorite creative bit this episode. The OST choices were really good this time too. I felt every track hit their mark especially towards the end with Whitebeard. Next week, Goden forces GOATbeard to unleash the quakes? Can't wait to see it.

Last edited:
That was such a good episode. I have suhh much more respect for Oden and the way he carries himself.

Manga made it seem as if he was quite detached from the Red Scabbards, but the anime highlights the opposite, how he truly cares for each of them, individually.

Ashura Doji has so much character, I loved that scene. Kawamatsu, his future hits harder now for some reason.

And finally I was worried about Whitebeards Voice Actor. Although he’s not perfect, it fits.

The anime story is moving along quite fast. And I’m excited for the CoC clash next episode.

Highlights:
Lol Kanjuro is hidden in the back. Fuck you Kanjuro you slimy rat fuck

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
These were already one of my favorite chapters of the flashback, but the episode only improved it.

I was happy with expanding Ashura's character by further showing us his resentment of the upper class and how secretly envious he is of them. It was but a line of dialogue in a single panel, so that was an appreciated inclusion. I loved the atmosphere of the two's battle. It had an old samurai movie touch.

I remember sharing that the manga's flashback had an overdramatic air, as if all the players were putting on a performance for a play (probably intentional). The anime is going for that as well, especially with Oden. I can't help but smile every time he's on screen. The Scabbards' adulations of him are well deserved.

Interesting that Ushimaru's face is still obscure. No point in doing that if he were a throwaway character. I'm confident he'll be explored later in the arc, probably in relation to our favorite green haired swordsman.

The Scabbard training montage gave me a totally different vibe from what I expected. It was more endearing than inspirational, like the purpose is to make the audience accustomed and connect to the characters, cementing to us that they are the acting protagonists during the flashback.

All in all, great episode. These flashback episodes are really hitting for me.

J

Jo_Ndule

So it's not just Enma Ame no habakiri is also showing that it has it's own haki according to the latest episode. Oden rose to the top using those two cheat swords who knew haki could be produced out of thin air like that magical swords indeed:specialmeh:
Maybe Ashura would win without Enma Oden
:milaugh:salty coz Nobody was hyping enma when they fought him
Just Oden himself