Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 2/5

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Solid Episode. I don’t like Oden but good delivery on his part.

Orochi did what Orochi does best. Kaido had solid portrayal but nothing extra.

The scabbards had good interactions betw each other. I liked that the scabbard mini flashbacks ended with Denjiro.

Oden didn’t just go out with a smile, he went out with a bang. I’m convinced that the Kozuki Clan are bearers of the Will of D, it’s just they have no D due to cultural reasons, the name didn’t pass since they live in an enclosed section of the world.

Luffy is the guy that the world is waiting for, kinda obvious since both Oden and a Whitebeard said the same/similar line. Next episode is pandemonium.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I did not care much for Oden's death in the manga, but I appreciated how cinematic and evocative this episode was. It felt like the climatic end of a Kabuki play, with the overdramatized performances, but the direction found in old Samurai films. The use of Koto and a more eastern style soundtrack for Oden's death sells the authenticity more. (Though the Scabbards as beams of light Oden scattered across was a weird choice.)

I can confidently say that I liked the anime's flashback over the manga. Oden just seems much more likeable and endearing. His natural charisma and aura shine more in this medium. The scenes which fell flat in the manga, such as Oden scarring Kaido, had the impact it deserved. Roger and Newgate's adventures with Oden carried the wonder and charm it was meant to have, and the use of additional scenes let things flow better.

• Oden only truly became Oden after getting boiled. :pepehands:This is what Kaido meant by man only achieving perfection upon death.

• Sarutobi looks good without his mask, and Fukurokuju without a head 5 times its size. 20 years of Orochi: not good for the face.

• Kind of a shame that there no skilled archer in Orochi, Kaido, or even Oden's named forces. The bow was the samurai's main weapon before firearms.
  • The actual hostage lady who was freed by dancing was here all along watching Oden cook?:emohiyo:

• Think Oden, think! If you know they're going to kill you anyway, just jump out of the pot right now and start running!

• The oil started out with the temperature of lava and kept rising after the half hour mark. Hot damn.

• You think anyone in the audience is in the mood for eating some Oden right now?

• The Akazaya shooting stars? Oden tossed his boys all the way into the upper atmosphere.
  • Some of these Scabbards have pretty awful memories of Oden.:odenugh:
  • Oden telling Kaido to work out, the next samurai after his head won't be weaksauce like him.:finally:

• Kaido knows the score: guns have a 100% fatality rate in flashbacks.
  • Shamisen lady actually playing Oden's life out was too perfect.:akaman:
Oden, the honorable D. No matter the risks, no matter the mistakes, Oden kept moving forward in the face of danger bearing no regrets and only an ever-widening smile on his face. Oden didn't have a Luffy to punch him in the face and tell to stop trying to take the burden all by himself like Princess Vivi. But after remembering Roger and Joyboy, I'm sure Oden got the idea what kind of person Luffy would be, that this was not the end of Wano and he could die in peace entrusting his will to the future.

Those last few minutes really saved this episode. I loved that music piece at the end and seeing Oden's words and his image overlayed with greater Wano, his family's faces on the sakura petals. Then Oden doing his pose, falling backwards into the pot and cracking a smile on the way down after he hears Wano finish his catchphrase was all magnificent. The rest of the episode was a little stale unfortunately. Lower quality art and okay OST, recycling the same images of the audience and Oden suffering, slapping a generic film reel over the flashbacks. Better pacing so the audience overlooks these things is the only real solution here. RIP Oden you beautiful hard-boiled bastard, but the flashback continues with another chapter left to adapt.