Status
Not open for further replies.
1039s gonna be a VERY important Chapter for sure regardless of what happens it'll tell us a lot about expectations for VS chapters:

- Does BM go down next chapter like most other VS chapters imply this arc? Will 1039 be a full fight chapter with her losing?
- Because she's a Yonko, does Oda give her an extra 1-2 chapters in top of that? Will 1039 be a full fight chapter and it STILL continue to 1040/1041?
- Or does Oda continue to give it side focus over the next 5-10 chapters until he dedicates a chapter in the future to defeat her? Will 1039 just move on to something else after a few pages?

Really interesting to see what happens here. Big Mom technically still has unshared history with Kaido. Does she lose before his flashback? Does Oda drag it out so it's closer to his loss?
Or 1038 was the last chapter dedicated to that fight, don't be surprised if the next chapter doesn't pick up from the last panel. BM walking away is still a possibility.

Pot Goblin

Conejo Blanco
1039s gonna be a VERY important Chapter for sure regardless of what happens it'll tell us a lot about expectations for VS chapters:

- Does BM go down next chapter like most other VS chapters imply this arc? Will 1039 be a full fight chapter with her losing?
- Because she's a Yonko, does Oda give her an extra 1-2 chapters in top of that? Will 1039 be a full fight chapter and it STILL continue to 1040/1041?
- Or does Oda continue to give it side focus over the next 5-10 chapters until he dedicates a chapter in the future to defeat her? Will 1039 just move on to something else after a few pages?

Really interesting to see what happens here. Big Mom technically still has unshared history with Kaido. Does she lose before his flashback? Does Oda drag it out so it's closer to his loss?
Agreed, next chapter will be a big one that could determine the direction the arc is going.
:goyea:

Or 1038 was the last chapter dedicated to that fight, don't be surprised if the next chapter doesn't pick up from the last panel. BM walking away is still a possibility.
I mean, that has never happened before in a 1000 chapters in this series lol, but sure it can be a possibility, just like anything is. Even Robin's fight this arc is the only "Vs" chapter to occur (1020: Robin vs Black Maria) and not end as she still fought the following chapter (1021: Demonio).

Made this in November before Sanji's fight ended:

https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...r-1034-spoilers-discussion.19380/post-2186901

So decided to do a Vs. Chapter summary to compare when Oda does 1 chapter fights vs 2+. I'm also only including Strawhat Vs chapters but not Luffy, as non-strawhats and Luffy have vastly different battles and priorities in this manga. Keep note that Vs. titles in this series are pretty rare, and didn't really start for the crew outside of Luffy until Arlong (and then didn't occur again until Skypiea).

Also, it's important to note that the "Vs." chapter doesn't really signify a pattern, It can be the last chapter of a 3 chapter fight, or the first as you'll see below.

1 Chapter Fights:

Arlong Park:
"Three Swords vs. Six" (三刀流対六刀流, "Santōryū tai Rokutōryū")
"Heroism vs. Fish-Man Cruelty" (騎士道VS魚人空手, "Kishidō vs. Gyojin Karate")

Skypiea:
"Pirate Zoro vs. Warrior Braham" (海賊ゾロVS戦士ブラハム, "Kaizoku Zoro vs Senshi Burahamu")
"Pirate Chopper vs. Vassal Gedatsu" (海賊チョッパーVS神官ゲダツ, "Kaizoku Choppā vs Shinkan Gedatsu")
"Pirate Nami and the Weird Knight vs. Heavenly Warriors Subcommanders Hotori and Kotori" (海賊ナミと変な騎士VS副神兵長ホトリとコトリ, "Kaizoku Nami to Hen na Kishi vs Fukushinpeichō Hotori to Kotori")
"Pirate Robin vs. Heavenly Forces Commander Yama" (海賊ロビンVS神兵長ヤマ, "Kaizoku Robin vs Shinpeichō Yama")
"Pirate Chopper vs. Vassal Ohm" (海賊チョッパーVS神官オーム, "Kaizoku Choppā vs Shinkan Ōmu")
"Pirate Zoro vs. Vassal Ohm" (海賊ゾロVS神官オーム, "Kaizoku Zoro vs Shinkan Ōmu")

Thriller Bark:
"Pirate Zoro vs. Samurai Ryuma" (海賊ゾロVS侍リューマ, "Kaizoku Zoro VS Samurai Ryūma")
"Pirate Chopper vs. Mystery Man Hogback" (海賊チョッパーVS怪人ホグバック, "Kaizoku Choppā VS Kaijin Hogubakku")

Wano:
"Jimbei vs. Who's-Who" (ジンベエVSフーズ・フー, "Jinbē Bāsasu Fūzu Fū")

2+ Chapter Fights:

* Alabasta never labeled its chapters as Vs. fight titles, but they lasted 2-3 chapters each. Just something worth noting. Its the same with Dressrosa outside of Zoro's fight.

Enies Lobby:

Franky
"Franky vs. Fukurô" (フランキーVSフクロウ, "Furankī vs Fukurō")
"Power" (パワー, "Pawā")

Chopper/Franky
"Life Return" (生命帰還, "Seimei Kikan")
*Franky wins here, Chopper's fight starts here.

Chopper
"Monster" (モンスター, "Monsutā")
"Monster vs. Kumadori" (怪物VSクマドリ, "Monsutā vs Kumadori")

Nami
"Super-Size Nami" (ナミ巨大化, "Nami Kyodaika")
"Nami vs. Kalifa" (ナミVSカリファ, "Nami VS Karifa")
"You Missed Your Chance" (好機は終わった, "Chansu wa Owatta")
* Note that Nami actually won mid chapter in Chapter 412. Its not a full 3 chapter fight.

Sanji
"Sanji vs. Jabra" (サンジVSジャブラ, "Sanji VS Jabura")
"Heat Up" (ヒートアップ, "Hīto Appu")

Zoro
"Zoro vs. Kaku" (ゾロVSカク, "Zoro VS Kaku")
"Asura" (阿修羅, "Ashura")

Thriller Bark:

Sanji
"Pirate Sanji vs. Mystery Man Absalom" (海賊サンジVS怪人アブサロム, "Kaizoku Sanji VS Kaijin Abusaromu")
"Sanji's Dream" (サンジの夢, "Sanji no Yume")

Usopp
"Pirate Usopp vs. Mystery Woman Perona" (海賊ウソップVS怪人ペローナ, "Kaizoku Usoppu VS Purinsesu Perōna")
"Conclusion" (決着, "Ketchaku")

*Note that the above fights are more like 1.5 chapters each. Sanji's fight starts halfway through the vs. chapter and ends early the next chapter. Usopp's is part of "Sanji's Dream", then ends early in "Conclusion" because part of that chapter is the conclusion of Zoro vs Ryuma before Oda goes back in time.

Dressrosa:

Zoro
"Zoro vs. Pica" (ゾロVSピーカ, "Zoro Bāsasu Pīka")
"Tactics No. 5"

* Zoro is the only person (outside of Law) that has a Vs. Chapter title in DR). Not even Luffy has one. Many of the fights are 1 chapter each, but no Vs. titles.

Wano:

Robin
"Robin vs. Black Maria" (ロビンvs.ブラックマリア, "Robin Bāsasu Burakkumaria")
"Demonio" (デモニオ)

So you can see, even Wano barely fits the mold of Vs. titles, and there aren't too many examples to go by in this manga outside of Luffy. Like he didn't give one to Franky in DR and Wano, but did in Enies Lobby. He gave 1 chapter to Jinbe but 2 to Robin. Even more interesting is the difference between both 1 or 2 chapter titles is fairly close (11 vs 10 respectively), so there actually isn't a solid determination to what Oda is going to do.

Tldr: Past chapter titles actually seem to have no bearing on when a fight will or can end. Sanji vs. Queen can end this chapter, 1035 or 1036 and there would be an example above that would support any scenario. Hell, Sanji could win mid chapter in either subsequent chapters and it still would be supported by a past example.

There are FAR more non-Vs. chapters with fights than there are Vs. chapter titles.

Also RIP my lunch lol

Edit: The only thing I'd say it does suggest is that the fight will end soon (i.e. same chapter or 1 to 2 more chapters), as every single vs title suggests this. This is why you haven't seen "Zoro vs King" or "Sanji vs Queen" in earlier chapters, even though they've received plenty of fight panels.
Read the edited bold portion of the comment to really get my point here. I believe, regardless of her being a Yonko fight to non-strawhats, a VS chapter entirely indicates she's going down in 1-3 chapters. Either Oda makes zero exceptions and she's done next chapter. Or he gives her a bit more screentime to cap it off because she's Big Mom (1040-1041).

I personally don't expect her to win or the scenes to entirely shift to something else, because that has never happened in this series before. When someone gets a VS chapter title, someone is losing, and losing soon, and 99% of the time its the villain (there are like 2 exceptions in Skypiea when Oda had this weird obsession with VS chapters for tertiary characters, but the villains still lost anyway).

J

Joy D. MADS

Oda will not focus on Big Mom next chapter it seems... Look at Zunesha, mysterious devil fruit and Kaido, Luffy kicked hard Kaido here but Ods interrupts it.

So, I expect Orochi's plot maybe with Denjiro on it and some CP0 info/fight.

Oda will not focus on Big Mom next chapter it seems... Look at Zunesha, mysterious devil fruit and Kaido, Luffy kicked hard Kaido here but Ods interrupts it.

So, I expect Orochi's plot maybe with Denjiro on it and some CP0 info/fight.
We can't really say that until we see what happens. 1038 is a Vs chapter and it ends with Kid/Law. All of what your saying might just be addressed after they beat her in 1 or 2 chapters.

Like it took Yamato 11 chapters to get that basement, but we didn't see her for a decent period of time once Zoro/Sanji got focus in 1033-1035. A lot of these things might just take a pause until after this fight is over. 1038 just marks the point where Oda decided to tackle Big Mom.

Not saying you can't be right, I just think it's unlikely as never in the history of this series before, has Oda shifted away from a VS fight chapter to something else. He always finishes the battle. This is with the exception of Luffy of course. But maybe an exception is made here and you are right.

I mean, that has never happened before in a 1000 chapters in this series lol, but sure it can be a possibility, just like anything is. Even Robin's fight this arc is the only "Vs" chapter to occur (1020: Robin vs Black Maria) and not end as she still fought the following chapter (1021: Demonio).
Just saying that if the next chapter doesn't continue the fight don't expect to see more from it, the novas resolve is to stop BM from reaching the rooftop.

J

Joy D. MADS

We can't really say that until we see what happens. 1038 is a Vs chapter and it ends with Kid/Law. All of what your saying might just be addressed after they beat her in 1 or 2 chapters.

Like it took Yamato 11 chapters to get that basement, but we didn't see her for a decent period of time once Zoro/Sanji got focus in 1033-1035. A lot of these things might just take a pause until after this fight is over. 1038 just marks the point where Oda decided to tackle Big Mom.

Not saying you can't be right, I just think it's unlikely as never in the history of this series before, has Oda shifted away from a VS fight chapter to something else. He always finishes the battle. This is with the exception of Luffy of course. But maybe an exception is made here and you are right.
Too much to finish Big Mom in one chapter... Nope, she has a few flashbacks and explanations pending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saying that if the next chapter doesn't continue the fight don't expect to see more from it, the novas resolve is to stop BM from reaching the rooftop.
Eh, that's not a fair argument. If the fight is still occurring but the scenes shift, then the fight will just be pushed off closer to Kaido's defeat.

Their resolve is to stop her from reaching the roof by defeating her. Luffy wins against Kaido, she's still a threat. I dont agree with the notion that she'll just "run away" if he wins, especially because Luffy probably will have zero energy to do anything after Kaido.
Post automatically merged:

Too much to finish Big Mom in one chapter... Nope, she has a fee flashbacks and explanations pending.
Yeah that's why I think 2-3 is perfect, but that's entirely up to Oda. I think its possible like 1000-1003/1009-1010 (rooftop), 1016-1021 (F6), and 1032-1035 (Calamities) he maintains focus on this fight before moving onto anything else, but this is why 1039 is so important.

It tells us if he will spend the entire chapter on Big Mom or not. It also tells us if she goes down or not.

J

Joy D. MADS

Eh, that's not a fair argument. If the fight is still occurring but the scenes shift, then the fight will just be pushed off closer to Kaido's defeat.

Their resolve is to stop her from reaching the roof by defeating her. Luffy wins against Kaido, she's still a threat. I dont agree with the notion that she'll just "run away" if he wins, especially because Luffy probably will have zero energy to do anything after Kaido.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah that's why I think 2-3 is perfect, but that's entirely up to Oda. I think its possible like 1000-1003/1009-1010 (rooftop), 1016-1021 (F6), and 1032-1035 (Calamities) he maintains focus on this fight before moving onto anything else, but this is why 1039 is so important.

It tells us if he will spend the entire chapter on Big Mom or not. It also tells us if she goes down or not.
If Oda focus on pivotal plots (Kazenbo, Onigashima lifting, Raizo vs Fukurokuju, Orochi and "Komurasaki", CP0 which I think it's a main focus as the Yonko fights, but hey, I put it there for now because thy're hunting down small fries like Izo) while they fight Big Mom and Kaido, then it's possible but if Oda focus on Tama, Nami, Ussop and people running around Onigashima or the Flower Capital... Well.

Law and kidd taking hits from buffed big mom while queen lost in two hits not even with DF power

Cyborg with ancient zoan DF right there:kobeha:
The cyborg that lost his metal arm to a basic DJ?
Btw Law and Midd vs BM chapter only has 7 pages.
Zoro vs King has 14 pages.
Judgeji vs Queen has 13 pages.
Jinbei vs Who's Who has 12 pages.
Robin vs Maria has 11 pages.
If the next chapter isn't all for Law and Midd vs BM then Oda cares less about a Yonkou than he cares about Black Maria who got 26 pages in 2 chapters. :kuzanshut:

Status
Not open for further replies.