• Luffy vs Moria

• Luffy vs Doflamingo

• Luffy vs Cracker

• Luffy vs Katakuri

• All

Results are only viewable after voting.
N

Noctis

hero for pirate world is ultimately a pirate...lol...
see this scan

heroes are an ally of justice but he said he doesn't care about justice or anything...

more importantly for him being pirate means being outside of rules and restrictions i.e. beyond the law

As Luffy will be the first to tell you, he’s not a hero; at least, he’s not the classic type. While he doesn’t go out of his way to hurt anyone (unless they really piss him off), he doesn’t care all too terribly how his actions or lack thereof might hurt people. At several points in the East Blue saga, he points out that he’s not especially interested in whatever conflict is going on and wouldn’t have bothered to help until he came across someone who earned his respect to the point that he decided to intervene for his or her sake specifically.

When he breaks into Impel Down to save Ace, he also ends up also breaking out a lot of legitimately horrible criminals who would actually pose a serious danger to the public in the process of doing so, and this is even pointed out to him a few times; I don’t think it’s ignorance on Luffy’s part or anything, it seems as though he knows full well what he’s doing and just doesn’t care. When he punched out the World Noble, he knew full well what the consequences would be, even as he was doing it, but again, he didn’t care.

Basically, instead of seeing piracy as ‘freedom to attack whoever I want and take their stuff’, Luffy sees it in broader terms, as ‘freedom to ignore whatever boundaries or laws might hinder my ability to do what I want’, and he does take full advantage of that. He’s just not all that interested in attacking people who haven’t done anything to deserve it.
If I am correct this scan is one shot Oda created before he actually started the one piece... it was much more like an experiment before officially taking things into account. Nami character is based on this girl and the other girl from another one-shot. though Luffy is shown to be mature in this one-shot, like he acts with real maturity but still goofy
Post automatically merged:

Btw.. this is one of the best analysis I have ever read

Just gonna drop this here an analysis from my friend

"That ties into a rant I wanted to do about "irrationality" in One Piece.

A lot of people tend to claim that the strawhats making irrational decisions is somehow a bad thing when it is in fact the point of the series.

The series is about not only achieving your dreams but dong the impossible. But to do the impossible you must challenge the odds. Which is inherently irrational. At the start of the series Coby goes into a rant about how becoming the pirate king is impossible. About how in this great age of pirates it's highly unlikely that Luffy some random kid from nowhere is going to overcome all of the pirates far more powerful and talented than he is become pirate king. and coby is right. Luffy's chances at the start of the series is practically zero. but because luffy takes action because he repeatedly goes against those odds he's able to change them. he slowly gains allies builds a strong bond with his talented and hard working crew members as they continue to grow and progress to the point that they're one of the top candidates of the new generation to take the crown of pirate king. so while Coby was right if Luffy had done nothing and simply accepted those odds nothing would have changed. It's true but it's only true for the moment.

I think my point is solidified by that scene at the end of the war. Hawkins is calculating Luffy's odds of coming out alive but for reasons he can't explain the odds keep changing but refuse to come out as zero. This is because Luffy is still fighting to stay alive. This scne sums up the whole concept. That only by actively fighting the odds can you change them. I think thats going to be part of Hawkin's character arc in Wano as well. He's a man who spent his whole life simply agreeing with the odds without realizing that you can take action to change your odds. Luffy will likely be the one to inspire that change.

Thats part of the reason I think Oda has Luffy suffer when he chooses to run. If they kept fighting they could have potentially changed their odds. but by running and leaving the odds as they were nothing was changed. they were still outmatched. so the suffered that reality instead of changing it. I think this is also why Roger never ran and why it ultimately lead to him becoming Pirate King. He always took action, fought the odds changed the situation. Maybe this was also the reason why Oda made Luffy a man of action. To inspire us to take action and fight for our dreams.

I had another epiphany recently about Luffy's character arc during the latter half of part 1. I didn't realize it before but much in the same way that Zoro's character arcs revolve around "what makes a great swordsman" Luffy's character arcs revolve around "strength". Not simply strength in the sense of power levels or simply getting more powerful but the very concept of "strength" itself. In simply terms strength can be defined as "the power to overcome". And Luffy his ideal of the Pirate King is the Freest man on the sea. The one who can stand above all the pain sorrow and suffering in the world and just be able to be free. So Luffy's character arcs are often not just about him overcoming a powerful opponent but also, pain, sorrow, starvation, hopelessness, loss, failure, grief etc etc.

Hence his character arc involving Ace was mostly about whether or not he could overcome that loss. and he does. and as a result Luffy returns from the timeskip as not only a stronger fighter but a stronger person because of it.

Had to make that post because people keep complaining that Luffy didn't change after ace died and that was never the point or the objective of that character arc. it was whether or not he could overcome that loss.

In this way Luffy becomes the strongest not because he's never failed but because he's the man who can overcome anything. even his own limitations and short comings."

S

Shura

If I am correct this scan is one shot Oda created before he actually started the one piece... it was much more like an experiment before officially taking things into account. Nami character is based on this girl and the other girl from another one-shot. though Luffy is shown to be mature in this one-shot, like he acts with real maturity but still goofy
Yeah that is taken from one shot...he is showing maturity now but not to the extent he has shown in this one shot.....I really liked this version of Luffy....well anyways my point is Luffy is not a "typical" hero...lol

N

Noctis

Yeah that is taken from one shot...he is showing maturity now but not to the extent he has shown in this one shot.....I really liked this version of Luffy....well anyways my point is Luffy is not a "typical" hero...lol
Yeah... he's explaining things and he knows what he's doing, and even understand everything with another perspective... I wonder what made Oda make Luffy goofier than this lol

S

Shura

I'm too hyped for Luffy's new powers. I hope we will get to see him fighting someone in a few months from now at worst.
Besides fighting powers, I am more interested in how he leads this big warfare....anyways as he is using KKG casually I am expecting he must have improved G4 time limit and AP....
Post automatically merged:

Yeah... he's explaining things and he knows what he's doing, and even understand everything with another perspective... I wonder what made Oda make Luffy goofier than this lol
fair enough....maybe Oda doesn't want his main lead to be looking intimidating and it would act as a surprise factor for people in OP world thinking that the young teen is capable of destroying the world balance

S

Shura

He's busy collecting reps in NF lol
lol....so must be very busy huhh

anyways,

Theory on Luffy DF powers and awakening by cardboard spectator from random website I have found. I am copy and pasting the theory

The Gomu Gomu No Mi

This fruit gives the user a body that has properties of rubber immediately. When an outside force is acted on Luffy, such as gravity when Shanks held him upside down, his body stretched. Similarly when using his muscular strength he is able to stretch his body as well. In addition to stretching, he is also able to twist himself, and expand by using his astounding diaphragm muscles to suck in a lot of air. Immediately after consumption, the Gomu Gomu No Mi grants the user the ability to stretch, twist, and expand or more generally allows the user the power of expansion when acted upon by an outside or muscular force. The user becomes a rubber-man.

So Base Luffy= Powers of external Expansion via force

However Second Gear expands upon the powers of base luffy by giving him the ability to compress and release his blood through his legs, also known as “pumping” blood. Luffy is also able to do this without any force. This was Luffy’s first step into awakening.

Second Gear=Power of blood compression without force

Third Gear introduces another idea to the expansion powers of the Gomu Gomu no Mi, the ability to expand internal body parts via force. Luffy does this by using his muscular strength to flood his bones with air.

Third Gear=Power of bone expansion via force.

Fourth Gear is where this all starts to get interesting. Luffy has applied the idea of internal expansion gained by third gear to his muscles via force, but has to use Haki to control the expansion as well as to use the ability of compression. Because muscles are way denser than blood, Luffy needs to use force to compress his muscles which is why he uses Haki. The ability of compression is what allows him to “load” his punches as well as what gives him the ability to fly by pumping his legs. This is the first form where Luffy has mixed expansion with compression on top of a constant barrier of Haki. Keep in mind that Haki is NOT needed for awakening.

Fourth Gear=Power of muscle expansion and compression via force and Haki.

Awakening

Now lets line these gears up.

Base Luffy= Powers of external Expansion via force

Second Gear=Power of leg blood compression without force

The different gears give us different variations of the expansion and compression powers. Most of the time needing outside force except for second gear. All awakening is, is the ability for Luffy to use compression and expansion without using force, as well as being able to apply these principles to ALL parts of the body or spirit. Luffy would then be able to use muscle expansion and compression without needing to use Haki, and would be able to fluidly switch and combine gears. Luffy has already partially awakened his devil fruit, and lets look at this from each gear.

Base Luffy

In the New World Luffy has been shown to be able to expand without force. Remember when Luffy scared the crap out of Nami by wrapping his head around her? Similarly, Luffy was able to wrap his pinky around Shirahoshi’s finger without force as well. These seem like tiny examples, but that ability was not shown in pre-time skip.

Second Gear

After his training with Raleigh Luffy is now able to enter second gear through pretty much any area of his body, as well as localize its effects.

Third Gear

During thriller bark, Luffy was able to fuse gear second as well as gear third, thus using both the power of compression and expansion at once. Also King Kong Gun is effectively a fusion of third gear and fourth.

Fourth Gear

The signs of awakening in this gear are very interesting as Luffy is able to use the principle of expansion and compression with his Haki, which Doflamingo had commented on. This means that Luffy is able to give his spirit the properties of rubber which fits with the idea that awakening would lead to an ability of “rubbify” any part of a persons body or being.

The gist of this theory has been said elsewhere, but Luffy’s awakening will be complete control of his elasticity, of his ability to compress and expand any part of his body with simply will alone. Luffy is almost there in being “woke” as he has shown principles of awakening in all forms one way or another, he just has to connect the dots.

WHERE DOES IT GO FROM THERE

Awakening in this way would be a boost to all forms of Luffy, and his base form would get a huge powerup, as luffy would be able to “load” his punches, kicks, jumps, without needing to go to Gear Fourth. He would effectively gain Bellamy’s base abilities in this form. Same thought process can be applied to all gears and this would be a HUGE instant powerup.

Now this coming part is PURE SPECULATION, so please take it part with a large heaping of salt. That being said, I think that awakening is not even close to the last powerup that Luffy will get. First he has to show the different forms of Gear Fourth, then I believe he will awaken. After awakening, Luffy can still play around with the VASTLY improved flexibility of his devil fruit. Luffy would now be able to mix any gears, switch at any time, and incorporate Haki in any way that he wished. My personal speculation is that that his final form will be a mixture of gear fourth and gear second.

Gear Overdrive: Luffy would use expansion on his muscles and increase their volume while simultaneously use compression on his muscle fibers to give a leaner look than that of traditional gear fourth, while increasing the potential destructive strength of Luffy. He would also use blood pumping via his blood directly. Constantly increasing blood flow at a much faster pace then what we have seen before to increase speed and strength immensely. Luffy would coat himself in armament haki, giving himself an appearance of the monkey god, Sun Wukong. His attacks would occasionally use gear 3 as well and use compression to imitate Rokushiki. But as always, there is a wide range of flexibility for his attacks. Because Gear 2nd and haki depletion is still harmful to his body, this form would cause immense damage to Luffy and would probably leave him on the verge of death. This would fit in with the massive foreshadowing that Oda has left which hints that Luffy may one day push himself to the verge of death(all of the times Gear 2 used pre-timeskip and Ivankov hormones and Luffy’s reckless nature).

N

Noctis

lol....so must be very busy huhh

anyways,

Theory on Luffy DF powers and awakening by cardboard spectator from random website I have found. I am copy and pasting the theory

The Gomu Gomu No Mi

This fruit gives the user a body that has properties of rubber immediately. When an outside force is acted on Luffy, such as gravity when Shanks held him upside down, his body stretched. Similarly when using his muscular strength he is able to stretch his body as well. In addition to stretching, he is also able to twist himself, and expand by using his astounding diaphragm muscles to suck in a lot of air. Immediately after consumption, the Gomu Gomu No Mi grants the user the ability to stretch, twist, and expand or more generally allows the user the power of expansion when acted upon by an outside or muscular force. The user becomes a rubber-man.

So Base Luffy= Powers of external Expansion via force

However Second Gear expands upon the powers of base luffy by giving him the ability to compress and release his blood through his legs, also known as “pumping” blood. Luffy is also able to do this without any force. This was Luffy’s first step into awakening.

Second Gear=Power of blood compression without force

Third Gear introduces another idea to the expansion powers of the Gomu Gomu no Mi, the ability to expand internal body parts via force. Luffy does this by using his muscular strength to flood his bones with air.

Fourth Gear is where this all starts to get interesting. Luffy has applied the idea of internal expansion gained by third gear to his muscles via force, but has to use Haki to control the expansion as well as to use the ability of compression. Because muscles are way denser than blood, Luffy needs to use force to compress his muscles which is why he uses Haki. The ability of compression is what allows him to “load” his punches as well as what gives him the ability to fly by pumping his legs. This is the first form where Luffy has mixed expansion with compression on top of a constant barrier of Haki. Keep in mind that Haki is NOT needed for awakening.

Awakening

Now lets line these gears up.

Base Luffy= Powers of external Expansion via force

Second Gear=Power of leg blood compression without force

The different gears give us different variations of the expansion and compression powers. Most of the time needing outside force except for second gear. All awakening is, is the ability for Luffy to use compression and expansion without using force, as well as being able to apply these principles to ALL parts of the body or spirit. Luffy would then be able to use muscle expansion and compression without needing to use Haki, and would be able to fluidly switch and combine gears. Luffy has already partially awakened his devil fruit, and lets look at this from each gear.

Base Luffy

In the New World Luffy has been shown to be able to expand without force. Remember when Luffy scared the crap out of Nami by wrapping his head around her? Similarly, Luffy was able to wrap his pinky around Shirahoshi’s finger without force as well. These seem like tiny examples, but that ability was not shown in pre-time skip.

Second Gear

After his training with Raleigh Luffy is now able to enter second gear through pretty much any area of his body, as well as localize its effects.

Third Gear

During thriller bark, Luffy was able to fuse gear second as well as gear third, thus using both the power of compression and expansion at once. Also King Kong Gun is effectively a fusion of third gear and fourth.

Fourth Gear

The signs of awakening in this gear are very interesting as Luffy is able to use the principle of expansion and compression with his Haki, which Doflamingo had commented on. This means that Luffy is able to give his spirit the properties of rubber which fits with the idea that awakening would lead to an ability of “rubbify” any part of a persons body or being.

The gist of this theory has been said elsewhere, but Luffy’s awakening will be complete control of his elasticity, of his ability to compress and expand any part of his body with simply will alone. Luffy is almost there in being “woke” as he has shown principles of awakening in all forms one way or another, he just has to connect the dots.

WHERE DOES IT GO FROM THERE

Awakening in this way would be a boost to all forms of Luffy, and his base form would get a huge powerup, as luffy would be able to “load” his punches, kicks, jumps, without needing to go to Gear Fourth. He would effectively gain Bellamy’s base abilities in this form. Same thought process can be applied to all gears and this would be a HUGE instant powerup.

Now this coming part is PURE SPECULATION, so please take it part with a large heaping of salt. That being said, I think that awakening is not even close to the last powerup that Luffy will get. First he has to show the different forms of Gear Fourth, then I believe he will awaken. After awakening, Luffy can still play around with the VASTLY improved flexibility of his devil fruit. Luffy would now be able to mix any gears, switch at any time, and incorporate Haki in any way that he wished. My personal speculation is that that his final form will be a mixture of gear fourth and gear second.

Gear Overdrive: Luffy would use expansion on his muscles and increase their volume while simultaneously use compression on his muscle fibers to give a leaner look than that of traditional gear fourth, while increasing the potential destructive strength of Luffy. He would also use blood pumping via his blood directly. Constantly increasing blood flow at a much faster pace then what we have seen before to increase speed and strength immensely. Luffy would coat himself in armament haki, giving himself an appearance of the monkey god, Sun Wukong. His attacks would occasionally use gear 3 as well and use compression to imitate Rokushiki. But as always, there is a wide range of flexibility for his attacks. Because Gear 2nd and haki depletion is still harmful to his body, this form would cause immense damage to Luffy and would probably leave him on the verge of death. This would fit in with the massive foreshadowing that Oda has left which hints that Luffy may one day push himself to the verge of death(all of the times Gear 2 used pre-timeskip and Ivankov hormones and Luffy’s reckless nature).
That some big wall text... gonna read it later