General & Others One Piece inconsistencies

I wanted to make a topic dedicated to the inconsistencies of One Piece. Everyone can write his own.
Finding and commenting on inconsistencies does not mean hating One Piece, but having a critical eye. Constructive criticism is different from simple insults.

To me, you often see inconsistencies.
I'll start with one.

I found incincuente, with the character of Jinbe, the fact that the latter has allied with Big Mom for two years.
I understand he did it to safeguard the island of fishmen, but he went from being an ally to the best Emperor (Whitebeard), to the worst Emperor (Big Mom). Couldn't he ask for an alliance with Shanks ?!
The trouble is that Linlin, in addition to being one of the most evil beings, is also a totally irrational being.
The moment you become a Big Mom subordinate no one can know what can order you. We know that she and her family are killing practically every day.
Nobody with a minimum of common sense would team up or support such a team.
Logically, in these two years, Jinbe should have been stained with innocent blood. But given that we are in the fairy world of Oda, probably none of this will have happened. The fact remains that Jinbe cannot pass me such a hero, and also let him enter the crew.
Let's realize that, even before the flashback started, Sanji and Nami looked at him wrong because they still didn't know the reasons that had pushed him to let Arlong go in the East Sea. How would they have known that Jinbe supported a group that would have killed tens of thousands of individuals?

Last edited:
Well maybe not an inconsistency but kaido is an interesting thing for me at least. I know some people would jump on the he's a Yonko bandwagon but I don't see how he can one shot yc1? Like would you imagine king, katakuri, Ben beckman being one shotted? That's like saying every Yonko should be able to fight their entire crew no difficulties which I find to be a bit overbearing considering luffy should be getting close to the peak of strength at this point but I digress.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Not exactly an inconsistency, but Sabo's existence creates holes that need to be explained. Why didn't Robin share to Luffy his brother was alive? Why didn't Garp share to Luffy Sabo was alive back in Water 7? Sabo was a notorious commander for the Revolutionary Army. Garp would surely found out Sabo was alive yet said nothing to Luffy.

There's also haki's showings pre-timeskip which aren't consistent with post-timeskip, but I don't think too hard on it. Marineford was a chaotic experience with a lot of off-paneling. You can stretch how much was actually shown to us concerning haki.

Characters heights (such as Wadatsumi and the Yeti Cool Brothers being in theory taller than Oars despite them being smaller in the manga and the anime), characters not using their powers (like Law not using the personnality swap anymore, or Mont d'Or not using his flying books after the treasure box explosion), Moria being able of escaping Doflamingo with just invisbility (unless Mingo let him go), people not using Coo, etc...

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Not exactly an inconsistency, but Sabo's existence creates holes that need to be explained. Why didn't Robin share to Luffy his brother was alive? Why didn't Garp share to Luffy Sabo was alive back in Water 7? Sabo was a notorious commander for the Revolutionary Army. Garp would surely found out Sabo was alive yet said nothing to Luffy.

There's also haki's showings pre-timeskip which aren't consistent with post-timeskip, but I don't think too hard on it. Marineford was a chaotic experience with a lot of off-paneling. You can stretch how much was actually shown to us concerning haki.
I can’t believe I didn’t say this first! I’ve noted the Robin bit before, what a cruel piece of information to withhold from the man that saved your life at least twice...not in her character to do that kind of thing, so the plot hole there is a mile wide.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
The only assumption I would have is that Sabo asked Robin not to tell Luffy so he could do it himself. Really should be something Oda clears up though, even if just in an SBS

Garp on the other hand forgot to mention to Luffy that he had a father until after Luffy had already (kind of) met him so that's totally in character. And then did reveal it in the most laidback manner possible.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
The only assumption I would have is that Sabo asked Robin not to tell Luffy so he could do it himself. Really should be something Oda clears up though, even if just in an SBS

Garp on the other hand forgot to mention to Luffy that he had a father until after Luffy had already (kind of) met him so that's totally in character. And then did reveal it in the most laidback manner possible.
Garp’s move is defensible for exactly the reason you stated. Perhaps Sabo DID ask Robin not to say anything...which is still kinda confusing, since there was only the implication that their paths would ever cross, not a guarantee. Kuma sent Nico Robin to them, and Luffy only met Ivankov because he broke into Impel Down; otherwise, there have been zero interactions between the Revolutionaries and ANY pirates, not just the Straw Hats (and not counting Blackbeard, who only came into contact with them because Burgess stowed away with Sabo).

We can assume it’s different because of the familial ties between Luffy and Dragon, so a meeting is inevitable based on shonen logic, but Sabo as a character in the story couldn’t know that for sure. There are just too many X factors for him to plan this grand entrance that, if not for the Mera Mera no Mi, might have happened way down the line or not at all.

Yours is the only sensible explanation I’ve heard, and it still doesn’t fully justify why Robin (whether of her own volition or not) didn’t say anything.

Why didn't Oden kill Kaido right there 25 years ago and free the hostages? Why didn't Oden cut the prison where he was captured and escape SINCE HE HAD HID SWORDS WITH HIM? Why didn't Orochi/Kaido send their people to kill the alliance since they had a spy amongst them and new their location?
Why didn't Queen throw Big Mom into the woter and kill her since she's their enemy and Kaido was ready to kill her just a few chapters ago? Why didn't Oden ask for help Whitbeard or Roger's pairets? Why the alliance hasn't commented on the fact that Big Mom is in Wano and why they aren't concerned about it? Why hasn't Sanji used his invisibility costume to spy over Orochi and Kaido? Why are Wano people ready to use the blades of dead samurais (COMMITTING ONE OF THE WORST SEANS FOR SAKE OF WANO BUT AT THE SAME TIME THEY'RE AGAINST USING SUSHUI IN THE BATTLE)? Why didn't whitebeard kill Kaido? Etc.. Maybe some of this will be explained later but if things go in this way Wano will be remembered as King of plot holes.

Garp’s move is defensible for exactly the reason you stated. Perhaps Sabo DID ask Robin not to say anything...which is still kinda confusing, since there was only the implication that their paths would ever cross, not a guarantee. Kuma sent Nico Robin to them, and Luffy only met Ivankov because he broke into Impel Down; otherwise, there have been zero interactions between the Revolutionaries and ANY pirates, not just the Straw Hats (and not counting Blackbeard, who only came into contact with them because Burgess stowed away with Sabo).

We can assume it’s different because of the familial ties between Luffy and Dragon, so a meeting is inevitable based on shonen logic, but Sabo as a character in the story couldn’t know that for sure. There are just too many X factors for him to plan this grand entrance that, if not for the Mera Mera no Mi, might have happened way down the line or not at all.

Yours is the only sensible explanation I’ve heard, and it still doesn’t fully justify why Robin (whether of her own volition or not) didn’t say anything.
I imagine if asked Oda would say something about real men knowing that they'll meet again one day and inherited will and fate and all that jazz. Most One Piece characters believe in that. Much like Luffy and Ace's approach to each other when he was alive- we both have our own adventures, but they trust that they'll run into each other at some point. Makes sense, I suppose, in the One Piece world...

... to an extent, because as Sabo should know more than anyone, sometimes shit happens, fate can be cruel and people don't get their happy reunion. Like, say, a combination of amnesia, presumed death and actual death by magma.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I don't think it's comparable. Luffy never knew his dad, but Garp knew how much Sabo meant to Luffy. And the fact he decided to mention the Revolutionary Army, there's no reason why Sabo's name never came up.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Enma was said to be the ONLY blade capable of damaging Kaido but Oden did it with two blades....so is it both blades together or separately now?

Sanji said that tainting food is heinous and unforgivable, hence him losing his shit at anyone suggesting harming someone by poisoning food. Thing is that Sanji tampers with his food all the time to mess with Zoro...he spits in it, puts razor blades in it, puts chemicals in it to make Zoro rush to the bathroom etc...