Character Discussion Sanji, the "Paladin" of the Straw Hat crew.

Did this thread did anything for you?

• Yes. I might actually think he is at least an "ok" character now.

• Yes, but I still dont like him very much.

• No, because I've always loved the character already. Win Win.

• No. DEATH FOR THE SIMP!

• Make the "Pervert" thread and then I'll say if I've changed my mind or not.

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's a fair point.
I wanted to delve a little bit more into the events from this week's chapter, but I thought it would make the initial post waaaaaaaaaaaay too long.
But I can talk about it now. :P

This Black Maria plotline is something to be analyzed since Sanji's introduction arc in Baratie.
During the Baratie, he just stood there as Pearl constantly hit him, just for the sake of protecting both Zeff and the Baratie. He's EXTREMELY dedicated to his "oaths". I didn't write "extremely" in caps for nothing. Oda makes the character go to the last consequences. This is an aspect that usually is very divisive. There's really no way around it. Some people either love it, or hate it. Often he think "but why doesn't the character JUST to this a little bit different?" Oda makes sure that this is not the case for Sanji. Dude is committed to his principles. Same in Ennies Lobby, when he tried to bluff against kalifa, or play "I'm gonna show you how stronger I am so you give up", but ultimately, got overpowered by Kalifa's soap ability, that kinda fucks up brawlers.
In Black Maria's case, we now have webs, instead of soap. But the thing is that the webs are meant to be the reason Sanji can't escape. We see panels of him trying to get away. he wasn't just "standing" there. But there's a flying6 and multiples gifters that Sanji literally can't do anything about.
Now, He has the Raid Suit, but Oda chose for him not using it now, since he WANTED Sanji to be unable to escape for now. It's a bit of PIS, but hey, Oda is Oda, sometimes we just gotta accept that and move on, despite we knowing how little sense some of his decisions make.
Then the "crying for help". In a normal situation, Sanji would simply take that beating without flinching. He took those "hits" before to protect his friends. It's not something unusual for him. But we have a problem. The scabbards' location is known, they are defeated, and the enemy is trying to kill them. Sanji, who before was saying that he needed to go to the roof to help Kinemon and the others, now has the SAME objective, but at a different location. At the roof, at least Luffy was there (as far as he knows). But now they are helpless. He can't waste time there, but he can't fight Black Maria back. What does he do? He calls for Robin. He is perfectly confident in Robin's ability to, not only save him, but fight all those people by herself. Brook coming along is just a bonus. He has utmost faith in Robin, despite knowing they want her because poneglyphs. Robin also knows this.
I find it great how Oda shows different reactions from different people. Jinbei, who's the newest member, thinks Sanji did something wrong. Just as he didnt have a clue when Luffy and Zoro wandered ahead at the beginning of the raid. He's still learning the crew's dynamic. Then the reaction from kidd's fodders. The Beast Pirates' reaction. They all THINK Sanji is betraying Robin, when, he is, in fact, just asking for her to come wipe the floor with these fuckers, so he can protect Kinemon. Remember that he is the only one in the alliance that knows where they are.
The CP0 is irrelevant to this equation. They don't know they are currently there in Onigashima. The decisions they took are not supposed to be affected by their presence there.
So I think he did quite well keeping his oaths. Dude even couldn't put his CoA on because he thought it could hurt Black Maria back. LMAO. what a considerate fellow.
And remember, Robin herself was help she could be the one to help him. She deserves to be the "savior" for a change. And having Sanji, who often put himself in harm's way for the crew, be the one to ask her for help, was just too wholesome for me. :sweat:
I am more a SaNa fellow. But the little SanBin in me got very happy with this chapter.
I get what you meant. And I agree that he took the correct route, never said he picked a wrong one, so at least as far as I am concerned he did right on calling Robin, albeit it could be done a little better instead of him wailing.

But that being said, I don't agree on him not being able to get away just because there were some fodders and a F6 who he couldn't hurt. He escaped from BM's web once, he had the leisure of beating up all the males while dodging, evading the the "untouchables'" attacks. He had the means and the opportunity(ies) to escape, if he had not then it meant BM is that good at capturing people and she managed to capture Sanji then it'd be a loophole in Sanji's logic to why he thought Robin could handle her. Capturing and beating are different, just to be clear, you don't need to defeat a person to capture them so even if Robin is stronger her chance of being capture is higher than Sanji's. Next, we see that the samurai fodders managed to make a hole from a lower floor to an upper floor, no reason why Sanji couldn't just do that why fighting the males, as we've seen how much of a wreck Sanji made that portion of the room into.

I agree with your next points about Jinbei's and the fodders' comments. As well as the CP0's part.
But I still have a different opinion on whether Sanji could have escaped or not.

Either way it's Oda being Oda so ye, don't be wavered by him :sweat:

I find sanji still beeing a pervert conforting do be honest oda is staying true to himself. When he enterd the bath house people got outraged because he did it but in fact he only stayed true to his words. He wanted the invisibility df to do exactly what he had done, perviness was used as some gag release and still is used by some.

it's a very simple situation imo:
just as zoro follows the way of the bushido like samurai does, sanji on the other hand follows the chivalry code of the knight but he takes an aspect of it about respecting women way too far and that what makes him less enjoyable to me.
even luffy was able to share the food with the poor people of bakura town after he made it clear in fishman island that the only reason he dosen't want to be a hero is because he wants all the meat for himself, sanji is just a selfish son of a judge.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
I find sanji still beeing a pervert conforting do be honest oda is staying true to himself. When he enterd the bath house people got outraged because he did it but in fact he only stayed true to his words. He wanted the invisibility df to do exactly what he had done, perviness was used as some gag release and still is used by some.
The bath house is the most weird scene I've read in One Piece by far.
It could have had the exact same outcome from Nami's towel dropping and Sanji appearing with that nosebleed, without making it look like some creep ass shit.
Imagine this. Sanji knows there are headliners in the city. Franky, Usopp and Law went to Ebisu Town. Sanji tells them, when he is flying with the girls, that he learned that Law's men were captured. Which means he stayed behind gathering intel. So I have no idea why he couldn't just be there in stealth to protect them. Imagine this. He sees that people with the ankle's tattoo are being taken. So he sees Hawkins and Drake going into the bath house. He enters there to check the situation, sees that Nami, Robin and Shinobu are there. Waits to see if he needs to intervene. The towel drops, same happens the same way as it did. Nothing changes, but it has a way better reason for it.
See how it is simple to make the pervert gag funny, but still keeping it non-criminal?
It's actually mindblowing how Oda takes these cheap routes.

And more. The bath house is a mixed one. There were tons of guys there staring at them without a care in the world.
How do you "spy" something that is simply out there for everyone to see already? lol
Post automatically merged:

Another instance that I laughed hard was in Punk Hazard. You know, the worst arc.
When they are running from the gas, trying to catch the dragon and fly on its back, Sanji starts going "huff huff" becase Nami's body cant handle the effort. So his hand reaches the chest, which is a pretty normal reaction when you are out of breath. THEN he realizes he is actually touching Nami's breast and then power up and instantly catches the dragon.
It was HILARIOUS. And he didn't GROPE Nami's breasts on PURPOSE. See how it CAN be funny? (chapter 677 btw)
Oda simply sucks ass at it.
Post automatically merged:

See? Non intentional pervert gag. Funny as hell.

Last edited:
The bath house is the most weird scene I've read in One Piece by far.
It could have had the exact same outcome from Nami's towel dropping and Sanji appearing with that nosebleed, without making it look like some creep ass shit.
Imagine this. Sanji knows there are headliners in the city. Franky, Usopp and Law went to Ebisu Town. Sanji tells them, when he is flying with the girls, that he learned that Law's men were captured. Which means he stayed behind gathering intel. So I have no idea why he couldn't just be there in stealth to protect them. Imagine this. He sees that people with the ankle's tattoo are being taken. So he sees Hawkins and Drake going into the bath house. He enters there to check the situation, sees that Nami, Robin and Shinobu are there. Waits to see if he needs to intervene. The towel drops, same happens the same way as it did. Nothing changes, but it has a way better reason for it.
See how it is simple to make the pervert gag funny, but still keeping it non-criminal?
It's actually mindblowing how Oda takes these cheap routes.

And more. The bath house is a mixed one. There were tons of guys there staring at them without a care in the world.
How do you "spy" something that is simply out there for everyone to see already? lol
Yes i do understand it.
you have to excuse me my memory is kinda short lol i had to watch the clip of the scene to refresh my memory lol he might just entred in to the bath hose to hide . We have to keep in mind that we have a western view so some stuff for us might seam outrageous but in Japanese culture might just be some funny stuff.

So let's recap he might entred the bathhouse to maybe hide and why not at the same time see some beautys. out of wano having this type of environment a mix bath house isn't a norm just as it isn't in the real world so for him is quite an opportunity of course if we just focus on one panel some of the gag loses impact but if you watch the anime that whole scene is very funny or at least from my point of view.

There are many ways to interpert that situation.

Peroroncino

🅷🅰🅻🅰 🅼🅰🅳🆁🅸🅳
Yes i do understand it.
you have to excuse me my memory is kinda short lol i had to watch the clip of the scene to refresh my memory lol he might just entred in to the bath hose to hide . We have to keep in mind that we have a western view so some stuff for us might seam outrageous but in Japanese culture might just be some funny stuff.

So let's recap he might entred the bathhouse to maybe hide and why not at the same time see some beautys. out of wano having this type of environment a mix bath house isn't a norm just as it isn't in the real world so for him is quite an opportunity of course if we just focus on one panel some of the gag loses impact but if you watch the anime that whole scene is very funny or at least from my point of view.

There are many ways to interpert that situation.
He doesn't need to go anywhere to hide he can go invisible

Of course it makes sense. Try punching a solid block of concrete and tell me if your hand hurts after. That's the logic with CoA. it's an invisible "armor". Like When Luffy tried to punch Katakuri's CoA with his own, but got hurt because Katakuri's was just harder. Now, if Sanji's CoA is INDEED that strong, we don't know. But he THINKS it is, and since Haki is tied to will, spirit, or whatever, it affects its capability quite literally.
Earlier iterations of Paladin might have been like that, but Sanji is Dnd 5th edition Paladin. So it's not something mandatory. But as I said, I'm gonna talk about this "pervert" side of his in another thread. Dont worry, I won't "defend" it or anything like that. :P
Ok, then you try to block another bloke’s kick with your leg and ask him how he feels after. It fucking hurts. Smash your shins together with his multiple times to confirm ;)

No matter which way you spin it, there is no logical justification for Sanji blocking Khalifa with kicks and then refusing to defend himself against Black Maria, who herself has armament and was also armed with brass knuckles that would have absorbed the force of the blow.

Ok, then you try to block another bloke’s kick with your leg and ask him how he feels after. It fucking hurts. Smash your shins together with his multiple times to confirm ;)

No matter which way you spin it, there is no logical justification for Sanji blocking Khalifa with kicks and then refusing to defend himself against Black Maria, who herself has armament and was also armed with brass knuckles that would have absorbed the force of the blow.
Its one of these things that Sanji went extreme on after time skip like i said before it seems like a theme with his character. Vergo broke Sanjis leg by just blocking his attack so yeah technically it hurt khalifa The difference is that Sanji didnt intend to directly harm her. But after time skip he just wouldnt even try and defend himself or touch her in a fight. It was more balanced and cool before and now its just sad.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope

He blocks her once.
Kalifa is a Rokushiki master, her strenght is already above of that of a normal human.
Besides, they weren't using CoA there. So I don't understand why this situation applies here.

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern
People just want Sanji to be like blonde Zoro also the same people that doesn't understand his character.:pepeke:Sanji is his own character with quirky character traits, funny, badass, strong, awesome, chivalrous, perverted and not some generic cool guy in anime.:pagemoji: