General & Others Shanks - Lost Arm

Wanted to start a discussion in, regards to Shanks lost arm .. there has been a lot of users who believe Shanks did not decrease in strength or that he is still as powerful with both arms, a wanted to put some of those things to bed.

Firstly : Editors sentiment to have Shanks lose his arm :

Oda had no intention that Shanks lost his arm, but after an editor told him that the story was not interesting enough, Oda decided to cut his arm off. ONE PIECE Grand Countdown 2 (2010)

When deciding to remove Shanks arm the influence did stem from an editors point of view, however the point from the editor was that the story was not interesting enough removing Shanks arm was still Oda's decision there were other avenues he could have taken, but didn't - if anyone has additional information on the editors influence please post it.

Secondly : Shanks strength did not dwindle since he lost his DOMINANT arm

i.) This statement from everyone comes from a mistranslation/misunderstanding from a data-book with Shanks which states "Even with one-arm his power is overwhelming!! He can stop Akainu's Logia attack with his sword!!"

ii.) Mihawk’s Epithet as “Clairvoyant” which has been highlighted multiple times in series and has been accurate on numerous occasions
A.) Luffy's real power capable of drawing in people
B.) Telling Zoro he'd already lose before the fight even began (East Blue)
C.) first to realize Whitebeard Strength dropped since being old
D.) Directly stating Shanks is a one-armed has been in front of commanders and a Yonko army - could be the same thing Kid lost his arm for stating

iii.) Slight detail from Oda which he added, Shanks keeps his scabbard on the right hand side while he only has his right arm - this is an unbalance for a swordsman, Shanks is left handed and it would seem as though he has still not adjusted (even though it's been a decade) since he's lost his arm.

Just wanted to provide some info on Shanks and details on his missing arm, I do believe it is a factor that it is missing and if he still maintained that arm he'd be fighting Mihawk toe to toe.

Well he can always replace his arm with some stuff like Crocodile or Kidd. Even Franky replace his entire body. He is a Yonko, I'm sure he got connection to some brilliant scientists to help him replace his arm since a mere supernova like kidd can do that. The fact that he is not replacing his arms only means to me that he is confident enough with his strength and it doesn't decrease his strength.

J

Jo_Ndule

Wanted to start a discussion in, regards to Shanks lost arm .. there has been a lot of users who believe Shanks did not decrease in strength or that he is still as powerful with both arms, a wanted to put some of those things to bed.

Firstly : Editors sentiment to have Shanks lose his arm :

Oda had no intention that Shanks lost his arm, but after an editor told him that the story was not interesting enough, Oda decided to cut his arm off. ONE PIECE Grand Countdown 2 (2010)

When deciding to remove Shanks arm the influence did stem from an editors point of view, however the point from the editor was that the story was not interesting enough removing Shanks arm was still Oda's decision there were other avenues he could have taken, but didn't - if anyone has additional information on the editors influence please post it.

Secondly : Shanks strength did not dwindle since he lost his DOMINANT arm

i.) This statement from everyone comes from a mistranslation/misunderstanding from a data-book with Shanks which states "Even with one-arm his power is overwhelming!! He can stop Akainu's Logia attack with his sword!!"

ii.) Mihawk’s Epithet as “Clairvoyant” which has been highlighted multiple times in series and has been accurate on numerous occasions
A.) Luffy's real power capable of drawing in people
B.) Telling Zoro he'd already lose before the fight even began (East Blue)
C.) first to realize Whitebeard Strength dropped since being old
D
.) Directly stating Shanks is a one-armed has been in front of commanders and a Yonko army - could be the same thing Kid lost his arm for stating

iii.) Slight detail from Oda which he added, Shanks keeps his scabbard on the right hand side while he only has his right arm - this is an unbalance for a swordsman, Shanks is left handed and it would seem as though he has still not adjusted (even though it's been a decade) since he's lost his arm.

Just wanted to provide some info on Shanks and details on his missing arm, I do believe it is a factor that it is missing and if he still maintained that arm he'd be fighting Mihawk toe to toe.
Mihawk epiphet isn't clairvoyant but Hawkeye
First use the Canon epiphet not the rough draft epiphet Oda put aside.

Or else let us all start using draft names and sketches as arguments

Mihawk epiphet isn't clairvoyant but Hawkeye
First use the Canon epiphet not the rough draft epiphet Oda put aside.

Or else let us all start using draft names and sketches as arguments
We, can use drafts and previous statements from Oda to come to a consensus or an assumption if it’s backed by manga evidence.

Mihawk even having the epithet clairvoyance right now is supported by his feats, hence the reasoning we can that moniker.

No offense, but your point is vague and gets worse with dragging in Mihawk. It meanders in what I assume is overcomplicating itself.

Simply: in the years after losing the arm he became a Yonko. Worth 4 billion. Recently he managed to clash with Kaido and made it through just fine. He is of the strongest order and speculating how he'd compare with his missing arm intact is useless.

I like this guy shanks but to still be an equal to Mihawk the WSS in a physical fight, while being a one-armed man, i don't think he'd manage.

...that's why i support Shanks has a mind-manipulation ability like Aizen. So he can win fights even against the likes of Kaidou and Mihawk, without actually having to fight. Just give a hallucinatory dream scene to the minds of Kaidou or Mihawk, that Shanks gives them a great battle, that should occupy them to use all their ability until they're exhausted and beaten by their own effort fighting nothing, while Shanks watching from the sidelines drinking sake.

Probably referring to this translation of Mihawk talking before he throws the slash at WB:
Mihawk: This is merely conjecture... but it seems rather small. // The true distance between us and that man...

The viz translation talks about measuring the distance between them.
Ohh I know that, but I always thought on that panel mihawk valued WB's strength so high (knowing WB is the WSM) so that he wanted to see how far the power difference between WSM and all people in MF including himself, never thought about mihawk rating WB's decreasing strength

Anyway, I usually refers to that "The true distance between us and that man" as Mihawk's line towards Wb, not the former one. Idk which one is the most canon one tho lol