Powers & Abilities Shanks- the Kenshin of One Piece

As many people know Oda was the apprentice of the Mangaka who wrote Rurouni Kenshin. He’s been getting a lot of flak lately, you can research that if you want but that’s not what we’re talking about here.

Oda definitely looks up to his former sensei, so much so that he would create a character based on his work ? Let’s analyse.

The main character of the series is Kenshin (he might be a historical figure actually), a master swordsmen who killed countless people and then swore an oath to never take another life again. Towards this he had a Katana made for him. The Katana was unique in that it was reverse bladed. It had a blade on the inside edge which means it can only be used non-lethally, unless you hold it backwards. This was done so that Kenshin could use the blade as a weapon but non-lethally as a sort of blunt sword. In case he ever had to seriously injure someone or in case he ever went back on his oath he had the option of using the sword while holding it backwards.

Let us analyse the design of Shanks. Shanks has long red hair and scars on his face. Do you know who also has long red hair and scars on his face ? Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin. Now you may think that this is just a coincidence... but what if it’s not ?

In a YouTube comment I read someone noticed how the guard on Shanks’ sword seemed to be on the wrong side.This is what got me thinking about this theory.

I think Shanks used a reverse bladesword. Or at the very least he normally fights with the dull edge of his sword, both would explain why the guard is on the wrong side.

What do we know about Shanks ? We know from pretty much when we first met him that he follows the doctrine of non-violence. I think Shanks doesn’t like killing people. Who also dislikes killing people and has never killed anyone on panel.... Monkey D. Luffy. But Shanks seems to be even more obsessed with non-violence than Luffy. I think he used to be extremely violent and was reformed at some point and since then made a vow to never kill anyone or at least never kill anyone unless he had to to save his friends. Or maybe the bet shut theories about him being Rocks’ son are true and he doesn’t want to be like his father. Maybe like Kenshin there is a chance that he could go mad.

Maybe this is why he trained his COC so well. To knock out people around him non-lethally and minimise the spilling of blood.

Now let us talk about Kaido. We know Shanks stopped Kaido before Marineford but the theory was that Shanks talked him out of it or something mainly because Shanks is a swordsman and Kaido only had the 2 scars from Oden. Maybe at God Valley he was KOed by Garp not Roger which is why he received no scars.

But if he was defeated by Shanks... a swordsman... why did he receive no scars ? The answer is because Shanks fought and defeated him using the blunt side of his blade. Causing him to merely be KOes non lethally and maybe receiving a few internal injuries but crucially leaving no scars. Since he didn’t actually cut him... more like bashed him with the blunt side of his sword. So he defeated Kaido without inflicting any scars.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
The Kenshin of One Piece is Luffy, because they are the main protagonists of their respective stories. I digress. I can see some commonality.

One that immediately stands out to me is Shanks' rivalry with Mihawk, which is akin to Kenshin's rivalry with Saito.

Both Saito and Mihawk have an animal theme which is informed through their aesthetic. Kenshin and Shanks are the more docile red-headed swordsmen whose natures clash with their reputations as ferocious figures. Both Kenshin and Shanks sacrificed something which affected their rivalry with Saito/Mihawk. And now the two pairs enjoy somewhat amicable relations. Saito/Mihawk ultimately refusing to fight their rivals as they are.

Last edited:
Nice thread. I also see there's some rurouni kenshin reference in one piece
Here's my speculation based on character design:
Zoro - act as a ronin + has teacher back when he was a kid
Drake/kaido - cross-shaped scar
Kid - red hair (maybe not much relevant)

It could also be shanks too if it's come to kenshin's personality

While shishio of one piece
kamazou/killer - his face full of wrap
King - got burning body? (Maybe)

There's no 100% kenshin character in one piece, but his characteristics are broken down to pieces and can be seen in some character.

Same goes for sun wukong
Luffy - monkey name
Nami - elongated staff
BM - riding cloud zeus

Yes, other people have pointed this out to me, sadly 😢

But I still think it’s possible that Shanks was inspired by Kenshin.
Shanks fame as a character is no less than Kenshin ... in fact Shanks fame is 17 times more base on google results ....

it would be disappointment if after 23 or 24 years of waiting Shanks be a copy of another character and not an original personality

Shanks fame as a character is no less than Kenshin ... in fact Shanks fame is 17 times more base on google results ....

it would be disappointment if after 23 or 24 years of waiting Shanks be a copy of another character and not an original personality
I mean Goku is based on Sun Wukong. And I’m pretty sure Goku is much more famous. At least in the west.

It would be a nice call back by Oda to his mentor (Though I guess with what we now know that is not necessarily a good thing...)

I mean Goku is based on Sun Wukong. And I’m pretty sure Goku is much more famous. At least in the west.
yes but he was the "main character" being like Wukong was greatest "selling point" for that story

same for one piece ... Luffy being like Goku was a selling point

but now ... after 22 years , where one piece is greatest manga ever .... I expect Oda to be risky

but again ... it's a theory ... might be true , might not ... there is nothing to talk about it at this point

If we go to powerlevel discussion, i disagree that Shanks beat Kaidou, due to default WSC title and all. But using the blunt side seems fun, so Shanks using the sword as a bokken (wooden sword)?

But about being OP's Kenshin with no-violence policy, this i especially disagree with, sorry. Shanks was cold-blooded, we see Lucky Roux blowing someone brains out with a gun. So at least the original concept of Shanks is a somewhat ruthless guy, a true pirate.

If i'm going to liken him to someone, i would go with Jack Sparrow. Whose character is all fun and games on the surface, but beneath all that you have an enigmatic and person with some twisted ideas and schemes to keep improving his position in the world in order to reach his target, whatever it is.