Controversial Should I convert to Judaism?

I’ve been entertaining this thought for a while now.

one of my good friends is Jewish and over the years he’s told me a lot about it. Honestly, it sounds really cool.

Recently, I’ve been feeling quite lonely irl. And I wanted to find a way to meet cool people. And so I thought, why not join a religion?

I tried Christianity, but honestly I didn’t like it. I was raised hindu and I didn’t like that very much either. I could become a Muslim, but my family is really islamophobic and so I don’t think it would be a good idea.

I don’t know if I’m 100% on board with it yet, but from what I’ve seen, I find Reform Judaism to be quite appealing. It seems like a really liberal and tolerant religion, and everyone I know who’s a reform jew are really nice people.

I think the theology makes more sense than Christianity, and I really like the whole ethnoreligious aspect to it. Like how beyond just the religion, there’s an entire cultural aspect to Judaism. I feel like I would enjoy celebrating things like Hanukkah or Passover.

but idk, I’m a bit conflicted on it, as I know doing it would require me to sacrifice part of my culture, coming from a Hindu family. But also, I don’t think I was ever truly hindu to begin with and my family is quite toxic regardless.

I think overall, I just want to find a place in this world where I belong. And I feel like maybe I could get that with Judaism.

What's the point of religion if you can switch on the whim? What's the point of believing in the first place.

If you want to belong somewhere go join a club or something. Go to a book club and tell each other fairy tales, it's basically the same as religion.

Red Night

Chise and Joseph
I'm an atheist so I don't a give a fuck of religions.

But if you read a religious book and believe in it, you're free to convert. There's no fucking sense to convert to a religion you don't believe in.

I’ve been entertaining this thought for a while now.

one of my good friends is Jewish and over the years he’s told me a lot about it. Honestly, it sounds really cool.

Recently, I’ve been feeling quite lonely irl. And I wanted to find a way to meet cool people. And so I thought, why not join a religion?

I tried Christianity, but honestly I didn’t like it. I was raised hindu and I didn’t like that very much either. I could become a Muslim, but my family is really islamophobic and so I don’t think it would be a good idea.

I don’t know if I’m 100% on board with it yet, but from what I’ve seen, I find Reform Judaism to be quite appealing. It seems like a really liberal and tolerant religion, and everyone I know who’s a reform jew are really nice people.

I think the theology makes more sense than Christianity, and I really like the whole ethnoreligious aspect to it. Like how beyond just the religion, there’s an entire cultural aspect to Judaism. I feel like I would enjoy celebrating things like Hanukkah or Passover.

but idk, I’m a bit conflicted on it, as I know doing it would require me to sacrifice part of my culture, coming from a Hindu family. But also, I don’t think I was ever truly hindu to begin with and my family is quite toxic regardless.

I think overall, I just want to find a place in this world where I belong. And I feel like maybe I could get that with Judaism.
I agree about you seeking religion as the place where you belong. But imo choosing between religions can't be solely dependant on the people who embrance a respective religion.

I mean the reason for you to choose a specific religion should depend on the truth within its teaching materials.

For example if i wanna choose a religion out of many, i'd compare the core teaching materials for example the most fundamental holy books / scriptures, in order to determine which hold the most truth and least amount and quality of wrongs / falsity / whatever

Then confirming it by comparing between the teachings of modern religious leaders to observe those points of truth first. After i choose two candidates at most, i'd compare which has the most good / beneficence within the religious rules between the two, and least amount of corruption / evil within the religious rules between the two.

Just the way i see things about serious stuff like religion. Gonna be a long process, but i disagree about entering a religion solely due to your friends or the celebratory stuff without prioritizing what the essence and rules of the religion really is about.

...then again, i'm not a very religious person so :neesama:

I agree about you seeking religion as the place where you belong. But imo choosing between religions can't be solely dependant on the people who embrance a respective religion.

I mean the reason for you to choose a specific religion should depend on the truth within its teaching materials.

For example if i wanna choose a religion out of many, i'd compare the core teaching materials for example the most fundamental holy books / scriptures, in order to determine which hold the most truth and least amount and quality of wrongs / falsity / whatever

Then confirming it by comparing between the teachings of modern religious leaders to observe those points of truth first. After i choose two candidates at most, i'd compare which has the most good / beneficence within the religious rules between the two, and least amount of corruption / evil within the religious rules between the two.

Just the way i see things about serious stuff like religion. Gonna be a long process, but i disagree about entering a religion solely due to your friends or the celebratory stuff without prioritizing what the essence and rules of the religion really is about.

...then again, i'm not a very religious person so :neesama:
I mean yeah

I wouldn’t join a religion that I feel like is undeniably false.

Part of the reason I’m interested in judaism is because I feel like I could believe in it, as opposed to Christianity or Hinduism.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Well, I think religion is important for stuff like that. At least for serious long term relationships.
Like, a lot of the people I know who are already married are uber christian.

So are a lot of the single women I meet in my day to day life. But I don't think I'm really compatible with people like that.
It can be, nothing wrong with looking for a girl in a church or whatever religious building you call in other religions but the issue is that you dont seem to be religious despite giving them a shot.
As long as both of you value family, have a common goal you both work towards and enjoy each others company, it can work... But as I said, you gotta spend more time with people to stop being lonely. Forum discussions are nice and good but they wont stop loneliness.

Do what makes you feel good. Just never forget this:

There are a lots of ways that could make you feel like you belong to a group. Science, Caregiving, art, group therapy, entertainments etc..

Religion is but a fragment of everything that can make you find meaning in life.