Controversial The Best Fucking Dark Souls Theory You Will Ever Read In Your Fucking Life (The Nameless King is a Lord of Cinder)

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Hello to all three Dark Souls fans on this website, and prepare your Hollow Anus to have its Humanity Restored upon reading the best Dark Souls theory of all time.

This theory was created by me with some influences from a few other theories I’ve seen over the years. Anyway, here we go:

Part I: Hollow Gods

The first piece of evidence that we must examine are the Hollow Gods. What do I mean by this? Well, by the time we face Lord Gwyn in Dark Souls 1, he has long since hollowed and become a Zombie:

And is at a fraction of his full power and glory. So, question: why is Gwyn Hollow? How did he become this way? We can safely disqualify some causes:

1. Gwyn is not Hollow because he has just become so old that he Hollowed. By the time of Dark Souls 3, Gwyndolin has become far older than Lord Gwyn was in Dark Souls 1, yet we can see during the Aldrich boss that Gwyndolin has not even Hollowed in the slightest. His hair has grown longer but other than that, he appears to be the exact same age that he was during Dark Souls 1.

2. Gwyn is not Hollow because he lost his purpose after all the time he spent defending the First Flame. Gwyn’s Hollow form still defends the First Flame vigorously, showing that some part of him still recalls his purpose as a defender of the Flame.

So given these facts, why is Gwyn a Hollow? We are forced to conclude based on process of elimination, that the reason Gwyn is Hollowed is not from age, or from forgetting his purpose, but we are specifically forced to conclude that Gwyn has Hollowed because the First Flame has burned his Soul away as part of his sacrifice, and now Gwyn stands a [mostly] soulless husk as a result of his heroic sacrifice to the Flame. This is the only reasonable interpretation that we can reach based on the evidence presented.

Now Gwyn is not the only Hollow God, in fact there is another Hollow God who is the focus of this godly theory:

And that is Gwyn’s firstborn son, Nameless Sama.

Now remember, from everything we know about Gwyn and Gwyndolin, Gods do not Hollow simply by aging, and Gods also do not Hollow from forgetting their purpose. So far as we know, Hollowing only occurs in Gods if they have their Souls burned away, which recall that sacrificing your Soul and becoming a Lord of Cinder is one of the key themes in Dark Souls 3.

So now we must of course ask: why has Nameless Sama gone Hollow? Hold that thought as we look at Part II of this magnificent theory:

Part II: Suns Above Lothric

The next part of this theory relates specifically to how Suns work in Dark Souls 3. Yes, Suns plural. The reason I say this is because their appear to be multiple Suns in the game which shine over different areas of the land. There is even an area in Lothric somewhere known as the “Sunless Realm”, where Siris is from. There are lands in Dark Souls 3 which have their own Suns and lands that do not. Let’s take a look at some geographical peculiarities real quick:

Lothric Castle:

Lothric Castle has its own Sun that also seems to shine over Undead Parish, the Farron Woods, the Cathedral of the Deep, etc.

However, once we get to Irithyl, we arrive in an area that has no Sun:

And this isn’t simply a “time progressing” thing because if you go back to the High Wall of Lothric or Undead Parish, those areas still have their Suns. Irithyl is simply an area that does not have its own Sun. And Irithyl is not the only case of such weirdness, as the Profaned Capital also features Sunlight creeping in from the outside despite being geographically right beneath Irithyl.

Now you may think these are simply Development oversights, but if you go back and play Dark Souls 1, there is never this huge disconnect between Sunlight and geography like there is here in DS3 (with the exception of if you kill Gwynevere). So why does this discrepancy exist in Dark Souls 3?

Well recall that in Dark Souls 3, the “lands have converged”…meaning geographically these lands are supposed to be far apart, but Lothric refusing to link the flame has caused the lands to physically shift closer together.

Now there is yet another instance where Sunlight differs drastically from the rest of the game world, the subject of today’s majestic theory:

And that is of course Archdragon Peak. You can even see Archdragon Peak from Irithyl and note that there is nothing resembling a Sun in sight:

But obviously when you travel to the place, it’s a different story, Archdragon Peak is the most sunbathed area in Dark Souls history (even including Dark Souls 2). There is no way this is an accident. This is such a central theme of the Dark Souls story that there’s no way a meticulous mind like Miyazaki missed this.

So what gives? Why is Archdragon Peak bathed in sunlight in this manner? Some online have theorized that we actually go back in time when we go to Archdragon Peak, but this is quite frankly bullshit that exists solely to explain why Archdragon Peak is sunbathed, while also ignoring some of the other evidence I have alluded to in this thread and also will allude to shortly, as well as some other pieces of evidence that I will not be diving into here.

No, we do not travel back in time when we travel to Archdragon Peak and there is zero evidence that we do. I would argue that Miyazaki is building towards a much different narrative. The concept of Sunlight itself is extremely meaningful inside of Dark Souls, and there is zero way Miyazaki would include Sunlight on accident.

Archdragon Peak’s Sun must have deeper narrative meaning than simply being placed in the game world for a source of light. Miyazaki especially gives no shits if you can see anything in his games, he would not give us a Sun for something as meaningless as a light source.

This cannot be related to the Dragons themselves as Dragons and Sunlight in Dark Souls are completely unrelated. The Everlasting Dragons existed in a sunless world, and by the time the first Sun came along, our Everlasting friends were virtually extinct. Sunlight and Suns are things that the Dragons have no mastery over or affiliation towards.

Our friend Nameless however is heavily, heavily affiliated with the concept of Sunlight. A few facts about Nameless:

1. He is the Leader of the Sunbros and historically always has been, even after he left Anor Londo
2. He actually straight up becomes the God of Sunlight after Gwyn’s death. See Hawkshaw’s video below for more:

So the de facto boss of Archdragon Peak is a character heavily associated with the Sun. Let’s stop rambling now and make a point:

Part III: Themes Coming Full Circle

So let’s put what we’ve learned together:

1. Gwyn and the Firstborn are both Hollow Gods, which is a phenomenon that so far as we know, can only occur when a soul is burned away via linking a flame.

2. Archdragon Peak also has its own Sun, despite the Dragons not being associated with the concept of Sunlight in Dark Souls in any way.

So the theory is that the Nameless King is actually a Lord of Cinder and “linked a flame” for the Dragons, burning away his own soul to give the dragons sunlight. To be clear, the theory is that the Nameless King did not link the First Flame, but linked an entirely separate flame for dragon-kind.

Now before you fall into an awesomeness induced coma, let me substantiate this most epic of theories a bit more. Surely the evidence I’ve presented is interesting but not exactly definitive right? I mean all I’ve really done is presented a bunch of unrelated design choices that, at best, connect to each other circumstantially.

So this is where I’m going to hammer this theory home and explain how the Nameless King becoming a Lord of Cinder thematically completes his own character story and metaphorically completes his arc. So, why does the Nameless King exist in Dark Souls? Why did Miyazaki include him as a character in Dark Souls 1? Well in Dark Souls 1, there are only very subtle allusions to his character. There is a monument to him hidden in Undead Burg that was destroyed, and there are several pedastals in Anor Londo that were destroyed that used to bare his statues. The few references that existed for Nameless served to communicate the central theme of his character:

Nameless is both Gwyn’s greatest pride and greatest shame simultaneously. On the one hand, he is a Dragonslaying War God who inherited Sunlight itself from Gwyn, and on the otherhand he ultimately left Anor Londo to ally himself with Gwyn’s greatest enemy in the Dragons.

He is Gwyn’s pride and shame manifested, he is both of these things at the same time. So with Nameless’s role in Dark Souls 1 understood this way, how would Nameless being a Lord of Cinder enhance this character arc?

Well, the idea of being a Lord of Cinder becomes less meaningful over time as is one of the core themes of Dark Souls 3, but the original idea behind Gwyn as the Lord of Cinder was that this was Gwyn’s final heroic act of valor, he paid the ultimate price in order to sacrifice himself in the name of his people and family. By sacrificing himself in this manner, Gwyn became the greatest hero in the history of the world, and became a martyr for the survival of his people and way of life.

The Nameless King becoming a Lord of Cinder for the Dragons is a continuation of his status as Gwyn’s greatest pride and shame. By sacrificing himself for a flame and a way of life, the Nameless King truly becomes an embodiment of his father’s greatest legacy, the heroic self-sacrifice in the name of his people. However, in sacrificing himself to give the Dragons a Sun, the Nameless King truly becomes an embodiment of Gwyn’s greatest shame: he replicated Gwyn’s heroic act of sacrifice, but did so in the name of Gwyn’s greatest enemy.

Would Gwyn be proud of his son if he knew of this? Or would he spin in his grave in shame? We are meant to ask these questions as ultimately we have no way to know what Gwyn would’ve thought of his firstborn’s actions.

Whatever the case may be, the Nameless King’s character arc is so perfectly completed by this theory that (for me at least) it becomes impossible not to be true.

Part IV: Mini Bonus Round

So here’s just some other really quick pieces of evidence that support this idea:

1. Dark Souls 3 has a theme of “Lords of Cinder”, with literally five of the base game’s main bosses being canonical Lords of Cinder and Gundyr being supposed to be one. The Nameless King as a Lord of Cinder fits perfectly here.

….And I guess that’s really it lol. Just didn’t know where to put this.

Part V: Conclusion

The Nameless King is a Lord of Cinder, thematically completing his character arc and completing his story in Dark Souls. Please try to contain your unrestrainable excitement below.

@TheKnightOfTheSea @EmperorKinyagi @Uncle Van @Jaguark101 @SakazOuki @Sentinel

Last edited:
Good theory.

The only problem I can think of is how would NK have untethered himself from the first flame?

Hawkwood’s dialogue in DS3 implies that the first flame slowly burns the person who links it over time until they effectively die. (I believe that it’s implied that this is what happened to most of the previous lords of cinder). It’s obviously not immediate given that we have instances of Lords of Cinder doing stuff after linking the fire and literally see Gwynn still moving about.

By the time of DS3 it’s very clear that the first flame is in need of being linked, which strongly suggests that NK 1) either didn’t link the flame 2) untethered himself from it or 3) is so weak that his soul isn’t enough fuel anymore.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Good theory.

The only problem I can think of is how would NK have untethered himself from the first flame?

Hawkwood’s dialogue in DS3 implies that the first flame slowly burns the person who links it over time until they effectively die. (I believe that it’s implied that this is what happened to most of the previous lords of cinder). It’s obviously not immediate given that we have instances of Lords of Cinder doing stuff after linking the fire and literally see Gwynn still moving about.

By the time of DS3 it’s very clear that the first flame is in need of being linked, which strongly suggests that NK 1) either didn’t link the flame 2) untethered himself from it or 3) is so weak that his soul isn’t enough fuel anymore.
Well, he didn’t untether himself from the Sun over Archdragon peak, hence why we find him in a mindless zombie like state as like Gwyn, linking his Sun was what killed him.

Well, he didn’t untether himself from the Sun over Archdragon peak, hence why we find him in a mindless zombie like state as like Gwyn, linking his Sun was what killed him.
Ah I see, you were suggesting he linked some flame for the dragons, not necessarily the first flame itself.

That makes much more sense and is probably right.

Don’t like it one bit, it would make him retarded, petty and shortsighted, I much prefer the theory that he saw how the age of fire and its balance of light and dark was damaging to the gods, and instead started to pursue an age of light without hollows affected by the dark souls (eldritch abominations masquerading as humans).

To begin with, why would dragons need the linking of the flame? It’s not like they are like the gods, with the fire weakening they get sick and weaker, they preceded the first flame itself, and they got only problems with it, lighting being the source of their weakness, it is in their best interest for fire to die, and, it’s in NK’s interest to stay on top in order to tame them.

Even if you headcanon a flame only the dragons suddenly have (even though the first flame is exactly that, the FIRST flame, and dragons preceded it) , why would they need that? And why would it work? Witch of Izalith, at the time she tried creating a new flame, was monumentally stronger than NK and failed, Yhorm tried to link the first flame but failed, as he’s a giant, why would a god have any better luck with this ephemeral dragon flame?

It also opens a new can of worms, why is the Soul of Cinder only able to use Gwyn’s Sunlight Spear and not NK’s techniques or even weapons? You say that the sun in Arc Peak is proof NK linked the flame, but Gwyndolin too, was able to manifest an illusion of the sun, even after dying, why isn’t he able to do the same? He’s got a shard of Gwyn’s power as well.
Not to mention, Gwyn’s relationship with his son is purely headcanon, we don’t know the timeframe NK left for the dragons, and I mean “dragons” because they’re technically not ancient dragons, all we know though, is that he was allowed to reach his father’s tomb and left a memento, and, from what we know and saw of Gwyndolin, NK would be stopped from entering there, if they were on non-amicable terms, so at best Gwyndolin must have kicked him out for what he did after Gwyn burned himself alive.

Goddamn it, is that a fucking soulstuber video?
Hollow gods are actually the norm, it’s because of Anglos hardon (read: cancerous Soulstubers who were gatekept by Demon Souls and original patchless DS1 being hard, who ended up copypasting stuff from 2ch and changing it) that they need to push their existentialists, anti authority preferences and literary obsession with narrative subversion, as they’re unable to even comprehend, let alone accept that Dark Souls has, as a protagonist, a doomed individual, that no matter their actions cannot remove the fatality of their cursed existence by the Furtive Pigmy, “what’s that, this borders on the edge of essentialism, and I cannot make it about existentialism and feign superior intellect? I’ll just make it so everyone is retarded in the games about the linking of the fire, even though it spawned thousands of years at minimum, except me of course, I’m so smart about applying nihilists and existentials metaphor on everything I fucking do”, in literature, but also some games, sometimes Japanese or Western there’s the theme dark equals good light (fire in this case) bad because it’s a narrative subversion that “nobody” expects (pft, as if) and that makes it smarter Rick and Morty type of shit, and all the idiots pushing this, not only are they classic Kruger examples, they cannot say shit about the deep, the locust preachers and the non-lothric angels, because having natural predators of humans in the so-called age of human/dark would fuck over all their headcanons. It is also lazily convenient because you can, usually, pin all problems on a single individual that can be punched really hard, and that would solve everything, why, One Piece with Imu or Kaguya in Naruto are great examples, and if someone were to take this, Fairy Tale level bullshit and apply to Dark Souls you get the same shit Soulstuber spout, that basically everyone in the verse is a retard and all problems will be solved by the plot device called “Dark Soul” once people will abandon the age of fire. No, Dark Souls isn’t One Piece.

That fucking retard Hackshaw, for example, it’s okay for him that demons mind controlled their host, because it made it possible for them to build stupid statues, making demon Izalith a semblance of culture, so, surprise surprise, it’s another session of Gwyn bashing, indeed, now Gwyn is bad for attacking the demons, and everyone, Velka and Havel included, who would fucking die without the age of fire because they’re not hollows with a dark souls, hence them being “gods”, wants to see this powerful figure gone, so your shit Guts cosplay with dark infused greatsword acts as some sort of heroic power fantasy liberator, when you’re not too busy dying to pkcs, while maintaining the edgy and SmArT characteristics of darkness being good. Can’t really blame them though, they attract a higher share of audience by falsifying the narrative and making it digestible for smoothbrains, I just wish they would actually do their own research and translations instead of waiting for us. Shaw deserves a special mention though, I don’t think he’s able to make a video without sperging out about the “betrayal of the gods” being connected in every single fucking plotline, it’s only rivalled by that other youtuber that thinks Velka is every single character possible.

They even have the gall to mention Buddhism when trying to appeal to their shitty theories of light and dark balance, when the entire concept of a Lord of Cinder is based on Gaman, fuck soulstuber for ruining the game(s), you’re fighting an extremely weakened old man, betrayed by everyone for their lust of power, and the entire situation arose from Gwyn’s unwillingness to kill what brought problems. Ironically, it’s Gael, the human that ends up doing what Gwyn should have down with the dark soul, only, a bit too late.

Now then:
Gwyn, Izalith, Nito, Manus, the pygmies you see in the ringed city, they are ALL the same race, they are hollows, hollows/=/humans, hollows is what’s left of them after having lost their lord soul. It would be more correct to define gods as elves, and humans as eldritch abominations, even the weak silver knights you can one shot parry are “gods”, it’s just that, said name doesn’t hold the gravitas of other verses.
Gwyn gave his lord soul to others, spawning the first problem with him weakening (no, not sin, that’s Aldia’s theory, the mad scientist who only applies his interests)including backstabbers like the 4 Kings, and Seath, who wouldn’t have brought any problems in the story, had him kill them after the war with the dragons, and then burned himself alive, he’s hollow, but still has a tiny fragment, as you can see with his height being higher than “humans”, it is definitely not as big as his tombstone/statues though, hell, he’s even smaller than the Soul of Cinder, who had the remaining fragments of Gwyn after he split it to all the other gods, and has several hollows with a dark soul in its essence, same for NK, his strength is fading due to the age of fire inevitably leading to an age of dark, and him being hollow is just his original aspect.
He’s also not a mindless zombie, you can clearly see him in pain after you kill his pet

Last edited:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Don’t like it one bit, it would make him retarded, petty and shortsighted
Why exactly? You get two choices in Dark Souls, either light or dark. Why would choosing light make him shortsighted? Lol

To begin with, why would dragons need the linking of the flame?
Dragons can become corrupted by Dark just like men can, look at Midir for example. That was his whole thing, lol

There are also pretty heavy implications that Kalameet was corrupted by the Dark, but even ignoring those Midir is hardcore proof that dragons can fall to the dark.

Yhorm tried to link the first flame but failed
What? No he didn’t, he linked the flame successfully. The profane flame was burning out of control, Yhorm linked the first flame to stop the Profaned Flame and there is zero indication that he failed at this.

It also opens a new can of worms, why is the Soul of Cinder only able to use Gwyn’s Sunlight Spear and not NK’s techniques or even weapons?
The Soul of Cinder is only an amalgamation of those who linked the First Flame, which by this theory Nameless did not do. Lol
You say that the sun in Arc Peak is proof NK linked the flame, but Gwyndolin too, was able to manifest an illusion of the sun, even after dying, why isn’t he able to do the same? He’s got a shard of Gwyn’s power as well.
Which is obvious proof that simply having a shard of Gwyn’s power doesn’t make you strong enough to link a flame, lol

we don’t know the timeframe NK left for the dragons,
We know it with exact precision actually. Gwyn left to link the flame, nameless then becomes king of Anor Londo, then everyone realizes Gwyn’s attempt to link the flame was only a temporary measure and ultimately a failure which was causing people to become Hollow, then the Gods and Nameless all leave Anor Londo. The timeline is very consistent about this actually.

He’s also not a mindless zombie, you can clearly see him in pain after you kill his pet
Neither was Gwyn. Both Gwyn and Nameless still had traces of their former selves, a testament to their godly power being able to somewhat resist getting completely consumed by the flames they linked.

It makes perfect sense. Lol

Why exactly? You get two choices in Dark Souls, either light or dark. Why would choosing light make him shortsighted? Lol
No, you don’t choose light or dark, you choose fire or dark, fire is the amalgamation of light and dark, an age of light would preclude humans existing, just like an age of dark precludes gods existing

Dragons can become corrupted by Dark just like men can, look at Midir for example. That was his whole thing, lol
That’s just because dark is, in its entirety a cancerous aspect in Dark Souls, gods are also affected, as we can see from Artorias, the dark soul is still part of the 4 lord soul that came with the first flame, a dragon’s interest would lie in restoring the age of gray, when they were at their peak, not fire.

There are also pretty heavy implications that Kalameet was corrupted by the Dark, but even ignoring those Midir is hardcore proof that dragons can fall to the dark.
Indeed, there’s also Kalameet, but still, fire is not the solution for them, hell, it’s not even a solution for the gods, lighting getting weaker favours them, dark may mutate them in beings overall who are weaker, but doesn’t outright kill them.

What? No he didn’t, he linked the flame successfully. The profane flame was burning out of control, Yhorm linked the first flame to stop the Profaned Flame and there is zero indication that he failed at this.
Not exactly, the profaned capital is reduced in that state exactly because Yhorm linked the flame, he didn’t exactly “fail”, but destroyed his own home due to him being a giant linking the fire

The Soul of Cinder is only an amalgamation of those who linked the First Flame, which by this theory Nameless did not do. Lol
Was addressing every possibility of NK linking a flame, I replied before this point that it contradicts everything, including the very name of the first flame for the existence of a flame for dragons, this is not something that can be recreated, nor the dragons should have something that actively destroyed their age

Which is obvious proof that simply having a shard of Gwyn’s power doesn’t make you strong enough to link a flame, lol
Why obvious? Maybe Gwyndolin and Gwynevere didn’t want to end up burning like their father after seeing what it did to him, maybe they too sought an alternative, and in the meantime other people would die
We know it with exact precision actually. Gwyn left to link the flame, nameless then becomes king of Anor Londo, then everyone realizes Gwyn’s attempt to link the flame was only a temporary measure and ultimately a failure which was causing people to become Hollow, then the Gods and Nameless all leave Anor Londo. The timeline is very consistent about this actually.
That’s the point, Gwyn wasn’t alive when NK betrayed what he (or the gods of Anor Londo specifically thought ) stood for, in the japanese script, Gwyndolin is referred as the king of the Gods, it extends far outside Anor Londo, at some point, Nameless was usurped, and his name was removed from the annals of history for his decision, Gwyndolin being the most probable suspect, as later on we even see the Way of White, named after Gwyn’s name, changed to blue, color associated with Gwyndolin

Neither was Gwyn. Both Gwyn and Nameless still had traces of their former selves, a testament to their godly power being able to somewhat resist getting completely consumed by the flames they linked.

It makes perfect sense. Lol
Nah, Gwyn was a rabid dog who used a sword made of fire, who’s not even his own element, since he can’t even do basic lighting spells, Nameless does a plethora of them, is able to clearly think, feel emotions, and absorb souls of fallen enemies, a lost art of the gods, you cannot use lighting without the lord soul, it’s not like the humans who need to recite an epic tale/prayer and have faith+catalyst, they act just like Elden Ring’s dexterity builds :kayneshrug:

Last edited:
An interesting read for sure, and a nice juicy topping for Nameless King headcanon.

But I think actual theory-wise, the base is a bit thin. There is only the one first flame which can be linked. Gwyn's soul was consumed by the first flame as fuel. There is no evidence to suggest a god's ability to just "combust" their own soul to create some random kind of flame. Actually, the Witch of Izalith - the godmother of Pyromancy - attempted and failed, creating the Chaos Flame. So without any plot threads hinting at it, I doubt Nameless King would have succeeded where the literal fire witch goddess failed. And why would the dragons (or technically drakes) even need it, anyway? If anything, the domain of his closest companion, the storm drake, seems far removed from sunlight - within the storm, which darkened the sun.

Deducing the existence of multiple suns from differently lit parts of Lothric is also a bit thin imo. This seems to be indeed a design choice and based on the double-edged sword of depicting supposedly different lands in very close proximity to each other. An analogy from Elden Ring would be the changing sky boxes: When in Caelid, the entire horizon (even above Limgrave) is scarlet, but changes once you traverse to Limgrave. That is no proof for multiple skies/suns, tho. And like someone else pointed out, Gwyndolyn showed in DSI that it's within gods' abilities to alter the sky. If anything, the theory of multiple suns could be disproven pretty simply by the Dreg Heap (last area of DSIII, first area of Ringed City): Here, the entire world has collapsed on itself, all civilizations have converged. And yet, there's only one sun. Which is given a lot of significance design-wise by the curse-mark eclipse. I feel that ecplise emphasizes pretty well that there's only one "true sun".

But anyway, it's been an interesting, nostalgic read. Been a long time since I dived into Dark Souls III lore!

Last edited:
Very interesting read, I think Gwyn would die a thousand deaths before giving him a fraction of his soul, but I still feel like Gwyn held back from hurting his son even though the betrayal was so great. He never actually sent someone to take his life, or just personally go end this all out rebellion. Lore wise this was a huge contributer to Gwyn's descent to madness.

Nameless is also naturally a god of sunlight, as his soul is literally a portion of Gwyn's soul. That said it is not far fetched that Nameless was a harbinger of sunlight, albeit never to the extent of his father's full capacity Sunlight Soul
But one thing is for sure, Nameless took a decent chunk when Gwyn ditributed his soul to the other gods