Future Events The End Is Set In Stone

Does The End Really Justify Shifting Means?

• Total voters

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
RIP to the “Oda will change the ending if we get it right” crowd, sounds like that much hasn’t changed even if a lot of other things have. Y’all think this is a good thing? Should the author consider altering the ending he came up with in 1999, or do you think it’s appropriate that he’s sticking with it no matter what?

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
JK Rowling said she had the end chapter for HP years prior to the final book's release.
That epilogue actually didnt affect the story at all.
So it's probably something like that. It's something that will be probably be about Luffy. And there's no reason to change said panel, no matter the story's development.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
JK Rowling said she had the end chapter for HP years prior to the final book's release.
That epilogue actually didnt affect the story at all.
So it's probably something like that. It's something that will be probably be about Luffy. And there's no reason to change said panel, no matter the story's development.
Never thought about this, but it’s a very good point...I think Oda likes to play things as coy as possible, so by “ending,” he could absolutely mean the epilogue rather than the conclusion to the main story.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
My theory is:
Coby is gonna be the one to capture Luffy in the future (thats when this final chapter will take place), and Luffy, right before his execution, will do the same thing Roger did. Send the world into another treasure hunt.

I have my doubts if Oda would ever have the balls to kill Luffy, but if it's something that he has planned years before and it's not going to change it, I'm more inclined to believe he could do it.

He didn't come up with the ending in 1999, he made that statement about the ending in 1999.

Anyway, if that crowd really exists they suck and RIPped themselves off, DOA. Oda has a funky reputation for being either the meticulous anti-Toriyama or just as fast and loose as Toriyama. I don't think seeing him as either extreme gives proper respect to how much fucking work this all takes, especially because he does give himself the leg room to swerve fans and even other creators. If we have 1000 chapters then I would be surprised if more than 100 strongly resemble what he thought they'd look like going in.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Let's our master draw up its own wondrous world in its entirety I suppose. Surely it would have been an opportunity to change the last panel if required, BUT, perhaps the aforementioned is not to be changed, and whatever happens is not changing it because that panel is good enough to be set in stone that early. This is very very possible.

He didn't come up with the ending in 1999, he made that statement about the ending in 1999.

Anyway, if that crowd really exists they suck and RIPped themselves off, DOA. Oda has a funky reputation for being either the meticulous anti-Toriyama or just as fast and loose as Toriyama. I don't think seeing him as either extreme gives proper respect to how much fucking work this all takes, especially because he does give himself the leg room to swerve fans and even other creators. If we have 1000 chapters then I would be surprised if more than 100 strongly resemble what he thought they'd look like going in.
Question: ...Exactly how far ahead do you plan One Piece, and what is your story-planning technique?
Oda: I only have the ending of One Piece in my mind, and nothing else. But knowing the end point, I weave the story and make story arcs that build up to it. English Shonen Jump

"The story's end hasn't changed once since the beginning. The problem is that I haven't been able to really digest all the things that are happening along the way toward the end." Inoue Takehiko Pia (2009) [Translated by gottsuiiyan]

At least he says he has know the ending since the get-go, whether you believe it is up to you.

My theory is:
Coby is gonna be the one to capture Luffy in the future (thats when this final chapter will take place), and Luffy, right before his execution, will do the same thing Roger did. Send the world into another treasure hunt.

I have my doubts if Oda would ever have the balls to kill Luffy, but if it's something that he has planned years before and it's not going to change it, I'm more inclined to believe he could do it.
Coby cant catch Luffy

Wtf I was discussing the same thing with a friend today and I think the same, Oda is not gonna change the ending even if a theorist predicts it early (though I think it would be pretty unpredictable). This is because only a minority watches theory videos and even out of those people, only a small percentage would've seen that specific prediction, no matter how big the theorist. I don't think Oda's gonna change the story for those <1% of his audience.

Question: ...Exactly how far ahead do you plan One Piece, and what is your story-planning technique?
Oda: I only have the ending of One Piece in my mind, and nothing else. But knowing the end point, I weave the story and make story arcs that build up to it. English Shonen Jump

"The story's end hasn't changed once since the beginning. The problem is that I haven't been able to really digest all the things that are happening along the way toward the end." Inoue Takehiko Pia (2009) [Translated by gottsuiiyan]

At least he says he has know the ending since the get-go, whether you believe it is up to you.
Yeah. I can see people taking the phrase "nothing else" too literally when certain things he'd still have thought about way before they ever appeared on page, even if they got a throwaway line hinting at them.

Yeah. I can see people taking the phrase "nothing else" too literally when certain things he'd still have thought about way before they ever appeared on page, even if they got a throwaway line hinting at them.
I think he is more talking about his process, and not referring to only having planed the ending, nothing else.

Meaning ending is set in stone like the title says, and then he had things that needed to happen to fit that ending, which are of course also planed, in contrast to things that he comes up with on the go.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
I think he is more talking about his process, and not referring to only having planed the ending, nothing else.

Meaning ending is set in stone like the title says, and then he had things that needed to happen to fit that ending, which are of course also planed, in contrast to things that he comes up with on the go.
Im sure hes had the ending written down for years. Its just how long it will take him to get there thats all.