General & Others The myth of One Piece being a "masterpiece"/"peak fiction"

One Piece is simply the best long running shonen,
and that doesn't say a lot, when your competition is Dragon Ball, Bleach, Naruto + Shippuden, etc.

There are Hunter Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Also if you're talking about manga in general...
Peak Manga? One Piece doesn't get close, besides being peak in LENGTH and WORLD BUILDING.

Battle Angel Alita
20th Century Boys
Battle Royal
Berserk (depends on how it'll end, it actually has some of one piece's problems towards the end)
Oyasumi Punpun
Kaiji, Akagi, Ten
Jojo (part 7)

And there are probably way more better manga I have never read, I'm not really into manga
I would even argue that Dragonball is better and even if people attack it because of its plotholes - I think it shows the strength of Toriyama, that even everything he wrote was made up on the spot it still is very satisfieng from the art, charachters, fights, comedy and even payoffs. So while "Goda" plans allot (ofcourse not everything) it nevers seems as good and when there is a plothole its more distracting becaue One Piece gets marketed on the cohension. With Dragonball nobody cares and it works.
Post automatically merged:

I doubt it. Barely saw that marketing investment here in Europe some years ago (10).

Only it was known to those ppl who already were in touch with Japan's manga culture, and those years ago they were otakus, in the true sense of negative connotation of this word. And a small % who watched it on TV.
Nowadays is totally different. And I'm pretty sure that "peak fiction/masterpiece" showed up in those times, not the current ones. The Jump didnt care about western market unlike today.

So it's not because of its marketing, for sure.
modern times have new ways of marketing. Remember "Birdhouse"? You don't? Oh but all influencers talked about it a few years ago, not like it was a new way of marketing, by apearing organic and using social media sockpuppets and paid influencers

What exactly is the point you try to make here?

I literally called out the fans that try to make One Piece into more than it is.

I have zero problem with people loving OP and personally liking it more than any other manga.

When it comes to actually talking about the storywriting, it becomes bullshit when some fans try to claim it is "peak fiction" though.

And before that bullshit argument of "criticizing the writing is all subjective" comes up again: No, it isn't.

Many things of it are subjective, but there are quite a few parameters that can be judged objectively. Otherwise one could claim that any stuff a fourth-grader comes up with is always as "good" as Shakespeare's best works.
They make more than what it is for something they like. So you want to sound special by being so called 'objective' when there is no such thing as it. Nothing is objective. Who brought these so called objective parameters? Again people. And who accepted it? Again by people. As long as people are there, everything is subjective. So stop with this bullshit debate.

They make more than what it is for something they like. So you want to sound special by being so called 'objective' when there is no such thing as it. Nothing is objective. Who brought these so called objective parameters? Again people. And who accepted it? Again by people. As long as people are there, everything is subjective. So stop with this bullshit debate.
Is it being subjective objective😏

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
People who call a fiction character a grandmaster with constipation faces have no right to shit on others. They should see that their ass is as black as others.
The only thing left is to find a post where I used grandmaster to address Zoro.
And your response doesnt change my initial post that Luffy fans are those who eat up anything Oda serves on the plate.

What got you hooked to OP in the first place. I think the Luffy vs Kaido is the first fight (might be wrong) where Luffy comes up with the having fun thing (DBZ is the biggest criminal in this regard). I just liked the idea and the interactions and the goofiness, was not that much into power scaling but liked that the MC was relative to his own nakamas. Alabasta, Dressrosa and Wano are those arcs where nobody from the crew has any sort of personal connection with the villains. Vivi, Law and Momo are the characters to establish some connection in this case.
It does not need to be peak fiction to be popular, I mean look at the target demographic and then think why would the story need to be a literature masterpiece. I mean people can find a lot of problems with Lord of the Rings but it is one of the most popular ones out there. Maybe the ones enjoying are the ones who the manga is mainly targeted at and just because of the longevity of the manga some have just outgrown the story and the style.
OP is not peak fiction but it is still a work of art, one which is the second most sold comic in the whole world. The ones competing with it I think have been ongoing for almost a century.

Oda *looks up something he did 600 chapters earlier and decides to do a callback

fans: omg oda you're a genius you planned this since the beginning omgomg
That is the most headscratching part imho.

No honey, it's not some genius stroke from Oda right there.

He pretty obviously just pulled sth out of his rear on the spot that vaguely matches with something mentioned a few hundred chapters earlier (no wonder, since A LOT of stuff gets mentioned over a period of multiple hundreds of chapters).

Oda *looks up something he did 600 chapters earlier and decides to do a callback

fans: omg oda you're a genius you planned this since the beginning omgomg
That is the most headscratching part imho.

No honey, it's not some genius stroke from Oda right there.

He pretty obviously just pulled sth out of his rear on the spot that vaguely matches with something mentioned a few hundred chapters earlier (no wonder, since A LOT of stuff gets mentioned over a period of multiple hundreds of chapters).
Oda *decides MC and gag character will become yonko and put it on volume 25 cover
*drags the story for 20 years
*finally writes it in the story
fans: OMG Oda you prepared such a complex plot twist where the MC becomes really strong and really relevant all this time without us knowing??!???!? GODA