The Official twitter of the Netflix adaptation of One Piece has confirmed that they will cast the actors based on the (as Oda said) nationality

Hold up. Did Oda not change the nationality of some Straw Hats after the Time Skip? :sus:

I recall that Robin went from Russian to Indian and Zoro went from Japanese to German. :watchout:

So for Zoro, are they going to go for a Japanese bloke, a German bloke or are they going to go on a manhunt for a 1/2 German, 1/2 Japanese bloke? :kizabat:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
β€Žβ€Žβ€Ž
Hold up. Did Oda not change the nationality of some Straw Hats after the Time Skip? :sus:

I recall that Robin went from Russian to Indian and Zoro went from Japanese to German. :watchout:

So for Zoro, are they going to go for a Japanese bloke, a German bloke or are they going to go on a manhunt for a 1/2 German, 1/2 Japanese bloke? :kizabat:
I'm 90% you're wrong about the nationalities lmao

That's stupid...other than Zoro and Sanji, Oda probably never thoroughly thought about the nationality of the Straw Hats. Hell... Zoro's one probably became correct by chance.

So, choosing actors based on SBS-based nationality is nonsense.
Yes, like the reason Oda give Luffy Brazilian is because Brazilian like to party and Luffy also like to party. Of all factor, only the party part that make Luffy brazilian. If Netflix force the nationalities based on sbs, i dont know it will turn to be good.

I just want proper adaptation with cast that similiar with the og characters no matter what their nationalities are, not diversity cast for the sake of diversity.

Pretty sure that was just a color spread.

Brook was British or something in that lol

Even if i like the ideia of various ethinic origins for the characters, as the One Piece world seems to be very diverse, will be very hard to find good actors and make this work.

As a Brazilian i dont see any good young actor here that could be able to have such a big role as Luffy. Pehaps if the original language was portuguese could work better, but the vast majority of the good actors here are not only to old to make Luffy, but have an accent that would be very cringe to see in a One Piece series.

I agree that Luffy is very Brazilian/LatinAmerican in the way the get close to people and have very open personality, but i think in this case would be better to have a UStatesian with Latin American ancestry making him. The same for the others characters.

Another point, i dont think that a series with a Latino protagonist, and an Asian, a Black and a French(ahahah) as the main characters would catch the interest of the standart US people.