Theory Tournament?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MD Zolo

I want to propose organizing a first ever Theory Tournament here at WG. I've talked to @Kiwipom regarding this, and she seemed positive and encouraged me to make a formal proposal.

What I would want from such a Tournament is this:
  1. There will be a theme around which the tournament will be set up, i.e. all competing theories must be on the same topic.
  2. The theories will be constructively presented with both strengths and weaknesses highlighted. The theories can't be mere speculations, they must provide answers to the questions related to the theme.
  3. The competition will be won through voting from users, but Oda will ultimately select the winner when the manga answers the question being asked.
  4. The theme will be something that will be answered this year in manga. It can't be a topic which won't be answered for another 5 years.
  5. The WG will provide some sort of incentive/Award for winning this tournament.
Now, my proposal for such a Tournament:

1. Topic: Who is the traitor in Wano? This topic is quite popular now and I think that the theorists will have a lot of materials to work with. Furthermore, this question will be answered this year in manga. On the negative side, this question may be answered very quickly (e.g. next chapter), we don't know. So, it is too time-sensitive.
  2. Set up: There will be four threads. Rules thread will elaborate on the rules. Theory thread will be used to post the theories. Each theorist can make only one post in this thread. No comments or replies will be allowed here. Debate Thread will allow only theorists (who posted in the Theory thread) to debate on their theories. Since there is a single topic, opposing views will come and the theorists can work them out here and refine their theories. Discussion thread will allow regular users to discuss about the merits and demerits of the theories. Theorists can answer questions from regular users here.
  3. Time: 10 days from the creation of thread to post a theory on the Theory thread. Another 10 days to refine the theories. This will be followed by 7 days for users to read and vote on the theories presented.
  4. Additional notes: All four threads will be created at the same time. Theory thread will be locked after 10 days of creation (no new post can be made, old posts can be edited). Debate thread will be locked after 20 days of creation. A theorist can post in Debate thread only after posting a theory on the Theory thread. Reading and Voting period (7 days) will begin after locking Debate thread.
  5. Promotion: Theorists can promote their theories through profile posts. But they can't ask for votes.
  6. Incentives: Up to the management of the site. Probably trophy points or emojis of choice.
Are you guys interested? I am going to tag few people, sorry about that. @ImmaIvanoM, @PuckTheGreat, @Rej, @ardym, @Kingslayer, @MasterD, @Monkey D Theories. Tag others if you think they would be interested.

Also, propose a theme if you think that traitor theme is too risky to base a Tournament on.

I want to propose organizing a first ever Theory Tournament here at WG. I've talked to @Kiwipom regarding this, and she seemed positive and encouraged me to make a formal proposal.

What I would want from such a Tournament is this:
  1. There will be a theme around which the tournament will be set up, i.e. all competing theories must be on the same topic.
  2. The theories will be constructively presented with both strengths and weaknesses highlighted. The theories can't be mere speculations, they must provide answers to the questions related to the theme.
  3. The competition will be won through voting from users, but Oda will ultimately select the winner when the manga answers the question being asked.
  4. The theme will be something that will be answered this year in manga. It can't be a topic which won't be answered for another 5 years.
  5. The WG will provide some sort of incentive/Award for winning this tournament.
Now, my proposal for such a Tournament:

1. Topic: Who is the traitor in Wano? This topic is quite popular now and I think that the theorists will have a lot of materials to work with. Furthermore, this question will be answered this year in manga. On the negative side, this question may be answered very quickly (e.g. next chapter), we don't know. So, it is too time-sensitive.
  2. Set up: There will be four threads. Rules thread will elaborate on the rules. Theory thread will be used to post the theories. Each theorist can make only one post in this thread. No comments or replies will be allowed here. Debate Thread will allow only theorists (who posted in the Theory thread) to debate on their theories. Since there is a single topic, opposing views will come and the theorists can work them out here and refine their theories. Discussion thread will allow regular users to discuss about the merits and demerits of the theories. Theorists can answer questions from regular users here.
  3. Time: 10 days from the creation of thread to post a theory on the Theory thread. Another 10 days to refine the theories. This will be followed by 7 days for users to read and vote on the theories presented.
  4. Additional notes: All four threads will be created at the same time. Theory thread will be locked after 10 days of creation (no new post can be made, old posts can be edited). Debate thread will be locked after 20 days of creation. A theorist can post in Debate thread only after posting a theory on the Theory thread. Reading and Voting period (7 days) will begin after locking Debate thread.
  5. Promotion: Theorists can promote their theories through profile posts. But they can't ask for votes.
  6. Incentives: Up to the management of the site. Probably trophy points or emojis of choice.
Are you guys interested? I am going to tag few people, sorry about that. @ImmaIvanoM, @PuckTheGreat, @Rej, @ardym, @Kingslayer, @MasterD, @Monkey D Theories. Tag others if you think they would be interested.

Also, propose a theme if you think that traitor theme is too risky to base a Tournament on.
Sure

M

MD Zolo

Thanks guys for the support! That being said, there doesn't seem to be much interest in it as Kiwi feared.

Perhaps it will take time to make this happen.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
We need a "Who's Killing Kaido" for the next topic. Zoro killing Kaido theorists shall prevail.
You just joined nakama and am already so glad of your posts :zosmug:

I think I'll definitely go for a Zoro theory as well, in that he is my favourite character as well as I'm more knowledgeable about him and his story than any other character.

M

MD Zolo

I used to host something like this back on OJ
Post automatically merged:

from my experience it'll be hard to get 10 at first

its better to start small
When I signed up to OJ, Nessos was running Theory of the Month (TotM). Didn't know you ran it once.

But what I am thinking of is a little different. Since we have a fixed topic, we can't get many theories unless we have many theorists. But in TotM, one theorist could post multiple theories on different topics.

But you are right that I need to start smaller. May be 5 should be the target?

Rej

Year of the black beard!
When I signed up to OJ, Nessos was running Theory of the Month (TotM). Didn't know you ran it once.

But what I am thinking of is a little different. Since we have a fixed topic, we can't get many theories unless we have many theorists. But in TotM, one theorist could post multiple theories on different topics.

But you are right that I need to start smaller. May be 5 should be the target?
He and Nessos did it together :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.