Upside of coronavirus Epidemic

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Amid the circulation of coronavirus epidemic and negative news everywhere, I thought of making a thread on what positives we can take form this situation.

Coronavirus has lead to

1) Reduction in pollution (both air and water)

2) reduction in smoking and alcohol consumption

3) healing of ozone layer

4) reduction in carbon emissions

5) reduction in deforestation, land degradation and waste generation.

6) wildlife habitat restoration.

7) reduction in crime rates

8)realization that how important it is to invest in health, education and Research and Development than in nuclear weapons and wars

9) realization that personal and community hygiene matters a lot.

10) realization of need to efficiently utilise limited resources of Earth. Materialism and consumerism leads to wastage of precious resources especially when ensuring 2-3 good meals for everyone is challenging.

11) realization that humans aren't superior. Every species on our planet matters and universe doesn't place humanity in any special domain. Learn to mutually co exist and treat everyone equally.

12) realization that we truly live in global village and are highly inter connected considering how quickly virus spread around the globe. Nature doesn't distinguish between devloped and developing, urban and rural, between Physical boundaries of nations, caste,class, color, race, ethnicity, religion. We are humans first and are equal.

13) realization of significance of values such as patience, resilience, solitude and significance of putting community first over individualism. We are ONE FOR ALL and ALL FOR ONE

14) realization that real heros do not necessarily wear Capes. We owe big thank you and respect to Health care workers, Law enforcement and public officials, essential service providers, disaster response forces, volunteers helping during the crisis for their invaluable efforts.

15) overpopulation and poverty has to be tackled with utmost priority because it enhances vulnerability.

16) realization that focusing on mental health and mental discipline is highly important and not just physical health

17) realization what people suffering from hunger goes through. There is urgent need to eradicate hunger and ensure that everyone at least get good meals and clean water everyday.

18) realization that rights and duties go hand in hand. Neglected your duties can violate rights of others.

19) And above all, realization that prevention is always better than cure.

Though we will overcome coronavirus epidemic sooner or later and we can't Continue to live in self isolation and in lockdown forever but there is need to learn lessons from this epidemic and change our life style not only for better preparedness against Disasters but because Sustainable Development is truly the need of the hour.

Please don't post any negative news in this thread. Feel free to discuss or post any positive aspects you learnt from this situation.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
It’s all good in terms of nature but what happens when things start getting back to normal. Can you imagine the ratio of pollution that’s gonna sky rocket once the factories are back at operation.? And sad thing is there is no alternative for that.
That's why we need to Focus on sustainable development with more cooperation and priority.

This is a learning lesson that can give us glimpse of gloomy picture of what can happen due to climate change

No, imo it is a great chance to change. I mean the closest thing we can paragon this to is WW2 (even if there were millions of deaths while I hope here we will stay under 1M worldwide) and WW2 among other things (great jumps in technology) was what determined the dawn of the european union, which (even if maybe at first doesn't seem so) is incredibly important since I know, every european knows, that one day I will not be called to die for my country shooting at and be shooted upon by frenchs, germans etc. (or even worse directly bombed). It seems something natural now but 70 years ago it was not like this.

As of now I think every nation is spending a lot more on research, medical research at least, than it has always done (just think about Trump trying to buy a german wannabe vaccine for 1B dollars).

The net infrastrictures have become terribly important with this crisis so I can see on one hand a very strong expenditure to better the connections and bring them to everybody and probably, but I'm not sure it is a positive thing, another push on automation so that factories don't have to stop the production if there is a new wave. But this will impact negatively on workers as well so the state will have to think about a better welfare (at least this is what I hope).

The human systems will change to adapt to this just like to mimick how evolution works. In the economy it is already like this, among the others, survival of the fittest. So if a factory can automate or find other good counters to the virus in the case of a new wave it will survive and prosper while the other factories are closed if not it will have to wait and lose a ton of money (like it is actually happening) while the smarter, or luckier rivals, will manage to stay open and have a lot more demand than usual.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
I know that we are here to share positive things about the current situation and I will do it just after that :

2) reduction in smoking and alcohol consumption
Yes and no.

Social drinking diminished obviously : no more bar, night clubs restaurants etc.

But people who suffer from alcoholism or have strong smoking habits will maybe drink and smoke more : loneliness, easiness at home, nothing to do etc.

And stress can lead to drink more.

And during the long time some people may think a good idea to drink one glass of wine everyday or other drinks : not a lot each time, but if they do it every day it can lead to some problems.

(Sorry again to ruin the mood ...)

But yeah this crisis can lead to positive things and it is good to remind that we can grow stronger from that and we will rise again.

Last edited:
Point 2, 5, and 6, didn't changed much, almost stay the same even.

Point 7, it's actually quite the opposite.

Point 8, 10, 11, 15, 17, 18, and 19, people have known it for a long long time, yet, they simply don't care. Here's an example, in the 20s, Spanish flu happened and took around 50 million life. And 20 years later, instead of preparing for possibilities of another pandemic, a world war happened instead and the first nuclear bombs was dropped. And then 10 years later Asian flu happened and took 1 million life. Another 10 years after that, Hong Kong flu happened and took another million of life. And just about 10 years after that, HIV/AIDS happened, another pandemic that to this day has took more than 30 million life. And yet after all that, we sees and heard more about people waging war and making new weapons instead of people making cure. Well, because that's simply just how mankind are.

Well, sorry about my rumbling.

So, what happened in you guys places right now?

H

Homelander

Its wake up call to overhaul healthcare system. To avoid another pandemic need to maintain thermal scanning and medical history mandatory report if people are travelling abroad.

I can sense EU will have more people propogating tight border .

Healthcare infrastructure and viral research will be given more focus than war machine.

I hope good things to happens there is loads of things to learn .

So I just saw this info:

Total death toll (worldwide) 114,312
USA 22,115
Italy 19,899
Spain 17,209
France 14,393
UK 10,612
Iran 4,474
Belgium 3,600
China 3,341
Germany 3,022
Netherlands 2,737
Brazil 1,230
Turkey 1,198

Dang man!!! I'm really surprised!
I mean, it just around 10 days ago you guys start to stop talking about the pandemic, and I'm really dumbfounded when I heard about this news. I've missed alot of information as it seems. I hope that you guys are doing okay.

H

Homelander

UK and US will be worst hit by end of this pandemic.

Good side is Americans are actually talking about improving the healthcare system. Looks like bernie's utopia world of medicare for all isnt thst bad right ?

H

Homelander

Yep :( I heard. How long did the lockdown last.
Well it has been a month when cases
in new york increased rapidly.

I was speaking to a doctor (for my mums health checkup) he estimated New York will be worse than the lombardy region combined and we are not talking about other cities.

I believe california state are doing well despite huge immigrants and business people meet in silicon valley .

There is good news though red states have managed well by governers asking people to self isolate. I expect Texas and other state could revive economy partially.