Questions & Mysteries Was Roger the previous title holder of WSS?

Who was the previous WSS before Mihawk?

• Roger

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Someone stronger than Roger

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Shanks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rayleigh at his prime

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
LOL... As if every sword user are vying for that title...
you don't need to vye for the title. Its not like WB challenged a bunch of ppl specifically so that he could forcibly take the title of WSM - he was simply regarded as the WSM by the rest of the world.

Prior to Mihawk, there was a swordsman who was simply stronger than every other swordsman - whoever that was would be the WSS of the time. The signs are pointing to Roger right now

first of all how old he is when Roger still alive lmao

and beside Zoro, nobody really compete for that title, i mean name one besidr him..
5 years older than Shanks. So about 17-19. In Roger's Era we don't know but in Whitebeard's era there was only Mihawk and Shanks who competed for whos the stronger swordman. I don't even know if Mihawk was looking for a title i think like everyone else he was called by that title once Shanks was no longer able to compete against him.

Shanks competed and never won
Sure but we don't even know how their duels went? Were they all draws? equal losses and wins? But you are missing the point of my reply. The post focuses on Roger's Era so Shanks can't be included in it since he started after Roger's death. But Mihawk was around the age of Luffy - Zoro when Roger was alive so we have no idea if he challenged him or not.

WSS title is so worthless in the narrative importance that we dont even know any previous holders to it or any current competitors for it besides Zoro...

This whole thread is asking a question that cannot be answered because we barely know any swordsmen in the series besides a handful few... so we have to resort to these known ones instead

This is Oda's fault for not writing swordsmen and WSS title properly.

M

Mr. Bushido

If Mihawk wasn't the WSS and tied to Zoro, then these deniers would readily accept Roger as the previous WSS.

I get it that it doesn't fit your agendas and headcanons that Roger, Shanks, etc are swordsmen, but they are.

Roger is the strongest swordsman we know of from the previous era.

Mihawk is factually the strongest swordsmen of the current era.

Zoro's ceiling is very high.

Feel like when Roger died Ray was probably stronger than Mihawk cause Mihawk was still too much of a youngster and he should be part of a gen that wasn't freakishly powerful in their 20s