Speculations What’s The Purpose Of The “Other” Poneglyphs?

Dudes Rock?

• Total voters

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Title explains it, but as usual, I’ll expand a little (or maybe a lot, I don’t know, give me some space to breathe!!) :smoothieduck:

I was perusing the OP wiki as I am occasionally wont to do, and while scanning the article about Poneglyphs, I started to wonder...we know that the Rio Poneglyphs (also known as Historical Poneglyphs) supposedly chronicle the True History from the Void Century, and Road Poneglyphs detail the way to Laugh Tale, but what the hell are the others for?

There are 30 Poneglyphs in the world, but only 13 - the four Roads and the nine Rios - seem to serve a tangible purpose in both the story and the New World. The wiki doesn’t elaborate on the nature of the others, just like the canon has largely declined to do. We have 17 indestructible stones that neither shed light on activating the Ancient Weapons, elucidating the missing 100 year period in history, nor directions to the place where all these mysteries could be solved...among others, Robin ran across one as a child, Oden found one while traveling with Roger, Big Mom and Kaido both have one that isn’t a Road or Rio. What information do y’all think they hold, and will they factor into the parts of the plot that hinge on their better defined counterparts?

Title explains it, but as usual, I’ll expand a little (or maybe a lot, I don’t know, give me some space to breathe!!) :smoothieduck:

I was perusing the OP wiki as I am occasionally wont to do, and while scanning the article about Poneglyphs, I started to wonder...we know that the Rio Poneglyphs (also known as Historical Poneglyphs) supposedly chronicle the True History from the Void Century, and Road Poneglyphs detail the way to Laugh Tale, but what the hell are the others for?

There are 30 Poneglyphs in the world, but only 13 - the four Roads and the nine Rios - seem to serve a tangible purpose in both the story and the New World. The wiki doesn’t elaborate on the nature of the others, just like the canon has largely declined to do. We have 17 indestructible stones that neither shed light on activating the Ancient Weapons, elucidating the missing 100 year period in history, nor directions to the place where all these mysteries could be solved...among others, Robin ran across one as a child, Oden found one while traveling with Roger, Big Mom and Kaido both have one that isn’t a Road or Rio. What information do y’all think they hold, and will they factor into the parts of the plot that hinge on their better defined counterparts?
It's been mentioned the other 17 just either point to other poneglyphs or have actual history info, such as the ancient weapons. 9 of the 26 non-Road Poneglyphs seem to be exclusively a 9 part story of the Void Century, aka Rio Poneglyphs.

However, the Alabasta and FI reference Pluton and Poseidon, while Skypiea's references all 3 Ancient Weapons, but none of them were referred to as Rio poneglyphs, so those just seem to be historical Poneglyphs.

Idk, I hope Oda does have a chapter where he goes back to account for the ones they've all seen thus far. So far:

- 4 RPs, leaving 26 remaining
- 1 in Ohara
- 1 Robin saw as a teenager
- 1 in Alabasta
- 1 in Skypiea
- 1 in Fishman Island
- 1 Jinbe found and gifted to Big Mom and 1 she already had outside of the RP
- 2 in Wano aside from the RP. 1 in Orochi's Mansion that Brook found as a ghost. 1 that Law found in Onigashima
- 1 Oden saw in a flashback

So far that accounts for only 13 of 30. I'm sure I'm missing others. I'm not sure how Oda will tie all of this together that answers the questions we need to know, but I have a feeling he'll release something that has all 30 once the series ends.

Edit: Something tells me:

- Elbaf has at least 1
- Shanks and Blackbeard have several each as well. Blackbeard especially since I could see him even be cunning enough to intend to kidnap Robin towards the end and make her read the ones he has.
- Lodestar seems to reveal the info about the Road Poneglyphs, so I assume that's another one
- Laugh Tale may have at least 1 of the most important.

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
So most of the Poneglyphs just tell people how to find the others? Then what’s the point of searching for the Road and Rio stones specifically? Just seems like a massive redundancy that way...like, most Poneglyphs DON’T theoretically matter since we know the importance of the ones that do, so why do they exist at all?

Last edited:
So most of the Poneglyphs just tell people how to find the others? Then what’s the point of searching for the Road and Rio stones specifically? Just seems like a massive redundancy that way...like, most Poneglyphs DON’T theoretically matter since we know the importance of the ones that do, so why do they exist at all?
Nah that's what I was saying, that Alabasta's, Skypiea's and FI's were never called Rio Poneglyphs but they are historical Poneglyphs. Of the 17 that remain, there are still important ones.

Funny enough, I think Oda deliberately left Rio Poneglyphs from being discovered at all because it makes sense if Roger actually either took them all to Laugh Tale or copies of them, which he had Oden carve into the stone with his masonry.

So Laugh Tale just might have 9 by itself at least.

Nah that's what I was saying, that Alabasta's, Skypiea's and FI's were never called Rio Poneglyphs but they are historical Poneglyphs. Of the 17 that remain, there are still important ones.

Funny enough, I think Oda deliberately left Rio Poneglyphs from being discovered at all because it makes sense if Roger actually either took them all to Laugh Tale or copies of them, which he had Oden carve into the stone with his masonry.

So Laugh Tale just might have 9 by itself at least.
That's a bit odd, so the SH's might never come across the 9 of them during their entire journey? I doubt that Roger literally carried those 9 stones with him to Raftel and it would be weird if the SH's just got them served on a silver platter (even though there might be carving for all 9 of them on Raftel)

I think that it was not spelled out to us but a few of the carvings, like the ones hinting about ancient weapons or potentially Joyboy's letter of apology could be a part of the 9 carvings which make up the Rio poneglyph.

Oda is either going for that, or you gather all 9 of them which gave vague contextual clues to the whole thing but only make sense once you reach the final island and interpret the treasure/story left by Joyboy there.

Last edited:
That's a bit odd, so the SH's might never come across the 9 of them during their entire journey? I doubt that Roger literally carried those 9 stones with him to Raftel and would be weird if the SH's just got them served on a silver platter (even though there might be carving for all 9 of them on Raftel)

I think that it was not spelled out to us but a few of the carvings, like the ones hinting about ancient weapons or potentially Joyboy's letter of apology could be a part of the 9 carvings which make up the Rio poneglyph.

Oda is either going for that, or you gather all 9 of them which gave contextual clues to the whole thing but only make sense once you reach the final island and interpret the treasure/story left by Joyboy there.
Idk, just from the pure fact that the Rio Poneglyphs reveal the void century, i assume each one is a spoiler before Laugh Tale. After 1000 chapters and apparently not seeing one (just the fact that Robin never mentions if they are Rio Poneglyphs or not, idk), I almost expect it just to be all shown there. But yeah either they copied them and Oden engraved the markings at Laugh Tale or something else.

Vaguely give guides to the ones that matter while giving information that piece together what everyday life was like in the Void Century, which would only really matter to archeologists like Robin, since it’s not earth shattering information.

A poneglyph for what the architecture of the ancient kingdom was, what clothes they wear, the food they ate, the holidays they have, any religion they may have followed, stuff like that. Not overly interesting to regular people, but something Robin will need for her groundbreaking research into fully establishing the history of the Void Century.

That’s how I’d do it, anyway.

There’s gotttta be one to explain Devil Fruits, Haki, more historical information, tying locations of other Poneglyphs, but I think alll this is moot and everything is just explained in the Raftel. I rmmbr Roger said he’s carrying the information of the stones to farthest passage.

So maybe we don’t need to care bc everything will be there together anyways.