Character Discussion What do you guys think of Kaido so far?

I think he's probably the worst Antagonist in OP. Despite having a 10+ year worth of buildup for this showdown he's a massive disappointment and embarrassment. Luffy had a harder time trying to become YC level against Katakuri than he had trying to become Yonko level against Kaido.

Hell, even his ranking in the polls says more than enough.

My least favorite Yonkou. Took too long for Kaido to show actual personality and elaborate on his wish to die, also I prefer Orochi for the role of complete scum villain who really wants to get in the way and cockblock the heroes at any chance he gets.

Last edited:
I like Kaido. He's masculine in a sense that isn't just about being macho but forthright. Like he's nicer to Luffy, even to Asura Doji really, than his bud Orochi because of how they are over what they mean to him.

As a villain I like the idea of not killing people and breaking their wills. I look forward to seeing his background to really get the full picture on his concept of death though because some of it is still unclear.

I think he's alright. Could've been much better but he's had a few good moments like his introduction, when he beat Luffy and when he shot Oden.

I wish we got to see more of his past and what his journey from being a cabin boy on Rocks' crew was like (in fact maybe a bit before then) up to him forming his crew and overcoming all the obstacles that led to him being named a Yonko. Overall, he's a bit disappointing at times but I think a flashback would get him above decent for me.

Crocodile is the greatest villain written in this series. So my expectations of everyone else is low. Kaido is just strong but he aint pure evil or anything like that. Just a typical scummy villain. If anything he acts like a normal pirate and does whatever he wants. Not everyone needs to be villain just because they are the enemy of Luffy.

Boring, underwhelming, a complete disappointment. After an enemy like Doflamingo who was Kaido's subordinate I had high expectations for Kaido. And yet, he is a generic warmonger. He is all over the place, some times Oda wants to portray him as an understanding boss but no one buys that stuff. Guy is opportunistic, hypocritical, contradicts himself all the time and every achievement of his has been because of another's death or bad decision making.

He is an unscrupulous bastard, but lacking all the charisma surrounding people like Blackbeard or Doflamingo. Even Akainu is more charismatic.

His only redeeming quality was going to be his strength and yet he has been unsurprising so far for a villain with a decade of hype.

I think he's probably the worst Antagonist in OP. Despite having a 10+ year worth of buildup for this showdown he's a massive disappointment and embarrassment. Luffy had a harder time trying to become YC level against Katakuri than he had trying to become Yonko level against Kaido.

Hell, even his ranking in the polls says more than enough.

We all know that higuma let shanks live at the beginning of the story :goyea:

Someone like Kaido should be a one dimensional character/villain like Lucci, the way I see Oda trying to complex him like Doflamingo or BB let's say it doesn't really fit him at all.

Lucci - killing machine, Kaido - battle machine that's all there should be to characters like them. Imo at least.

Someone like Kaido should be a one dimensional character/villain like Lucci, the way I see Oda trying to complex him like Doflamingo or BB let's say it doesn't really fit him at all.

Lucci - killing machine, Kaido - battle machine that's all there should be to characters like them. Imo at least.
Kaido surely wasn't born that way. For a character that was buildup as the main antagonist for like 10 years you would at least expect a FB of his childhood, showing us what made him the person he is. Honestly, I feel like Kaido's and BM's popularity has a lot to do with how Oda is trying to rush them out of the story