What do you think of Izuku Midoriya and how would you compare him to other Shonen Protagonists?

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Naruto from Naruto
Ichigo from Bleach
Luffy from One Piece
Natsu from Fairy Tail
Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho
Gon from Hunter x Hunter
Meliodas from Seven Deadly Sins
Asta from Black Clover
Toriko from Toriko
Saitama from One Punch Man
Denji from Chainsaw Man
Inuyasha from Inuyasha

Just to name a few.

@Dettles practically hit the nail on the head. Deku is Naruto if he was timid and smart. His character early on was pretty good but his development is resulting to Dekun losing that timid nature that was a key part of his character. It made him bland. He was better than some of the other Shonen protagonists like Ichigo, Meliodas and Natsu but he moving down the latter nowadays

Its not the fact that hes cries (although thats annoying too). Its that weird annoying worship and praising of his bully. Like Bakugo treats him like shit, yet hes still in love with him and obsseses over everything he does. It disgusts me.....literally no self-respect is within that boy.

Other than that hes the blandest mofo, and he has no memorable quotes that makes us think hes great. Its the same basic "Im good....and im here to save everyone".

Ugh....Ill pass.

I agree especially on Bakugo part. I can't fucking understand this although I know why Horikoshi did Midoriya the way he is. I still don't understand why. Deku has 0 memorable moments besides fake 1 mil smash and 100% OFA amped by Eri.
:seriously:
Yeah hes just boring.

From what I've seen- better than Luffy and Goku for sure
Nah Luffy is a lot better. Im not a fan of Luffy, but even I can admit he has his moments. Deku has no such thing.

He gets bullied and starts to admire his bully, i really liked mha's world building and characters but i hated his character so much that it made me quit watching mha, he's technically like season one eren from attack on titan
Post automatically merged:

Deku at least learns something new and progresses
current Luffy is as retarted as chapter 1 Luffy
Luffy is 1000 times better than deku

S

Shuyaku

Its not the fact that hes cries (although thats annoying too). Its that weird annoying worship and praising of his bully. Like Bakugo treats him like shit, yet hes still in love with him and obsseses over everything he does. It disgusts me.....literally no self-respect is within that boy.
lmfao, cuck much ? No way i'm reading this manga.

Luffy is underrated as fuck among shonen protags.

BangOO🍅

Pepebusi Spammer
at first i was like okay.
and then turns into meh after couple of chapters.
but after that im pretty enjoyed deku as a main character.
but still he is a crybaby, and the fact bakugo shits on him, and deku keep calling bakugo kachaaaan is annoying.
i just want to see deku started to called bakugo by his name, not kacchan anymore.

Like the rest of the manga is average good. With the villains being the best part. But Deku is absoutely the worst MC Ive ever seen. Just one immesnely boring beta cuck. His powers are even worse.

Luffy like I said before isnt that bad. Just if everyone stopped seeing him as the second coming of christ......Id be able to enjoy him more.

S

Shuyaku

Like the rest of the manga is average good. With the villains being the best part. But Deku is absoutely the worst MC Ive ever seen. Just one immesnely boring beta cuck. His powers are even worse.

Luffy like I said before isnt that bad. Just if everyone stopped seeing him as the secind
I like All might from what i've seen of him, but a good supporting cast doesn't make up for a bad mc like Deku imo.

at first i was like okay.
and then turns into meh after couple of chapters.
but after that im pretty enjoyed deku as a main character.
but still he is a crybaby, and the fact bakugo shits on him, and deku keep calling bakugo kachaaaan is annoying.
i just want to see deku started to called bakugo by his name, not kacchan anymore.
I want to see deku beat the shit out of bakugo, and show his big dick energy

I like All might from what i've seen of him, but a good supporting cast doesn't make up for a bad mc like Deku imo.
The cast is underused....probably due to how many they're. The author is trying to balance an entire class of kids as supporting characters.....and its failing badly. The 2 best and most popular characters, have no solo fights. Only won some fights in boring tournament arcs.

But yh theirs no excusing Deku. Reading his dialouge once makes me not wanna finish the chapter.

@ first I really liked him, but his emotions are over the top & getting on my nerves. I get that he's a really nice person, but to completely fall to pieces, break down sobbing & damaging himself, when his school bully was taken by villains, it's a bit too much.

I'd rate him a 3 out of 5 out of my favorite protagonist.
Below Luffy, Tanjiro, Ichigo, Gintoki, Eren, Emma, and even Naruto, but above Gon, Bam & Meliodas,

Last edited:
current Luffy is as retarted as chapter 1 Luffy[/QUOTE]

you know that’s not true. And he even said himself, what he lacks his crew makes up for. As long as he specializes in fighting and tasking out commands he’s doing what he represents, which is UNLIKE deku

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
For me Naruto and Natsu are worst

Goku is ............

But yeah Luffy is quite good as a MC, he has some good flaws (lack of development etc) but Luffy has some insane moments, exetremely fun moments etc (pre ts humor was amazing with Luffy in the anime) etc.

The problem with Deku is his lack of flesh outside of his dream and powers. Relationships with others etc.
But Deku is not the absolutely worst, he has some good traits : the training parts, the guy is ready to beat the shit out of himself to train or to fight, he had some cool moments, he has some character developement from the beginning to now the guy evolved and improved (I don't talk about powers but character) etc.

But yeah he is bit cliche and bland.

For me Koichi from MHA Vigilante is better. (the spin off series)

Best MC in shonen are Edward elric, Eren Yeager etc. and Deku can't compare at all.

Lets say Deku is some middle pack MC for now. Not the best at all but not the worst.

Read it, MHA is quite good.

It is more grounded than One piece, more real life. The show has some good and strong themes (outcast, society problems, psychology of characters etc) . The main villains are good. Some characters are really good too.

One of the main asset of the show is that the villains are developing alongside the heroes. And you follow the villains quite often.

The only problem is the young ones haha. And Deku while not being bad is not amazing but he has his cool moments and he has character development.

Watch the 1st anime season it is not that long.

Last edited:
I like Deku and sometimes I do feel like he's a bit underrated at times, however I will admit he actually isn't one of my most favorite characters in the series and when comparing him to other Shonen Protagonists he isn't ranked very high on my list.

For me Koichi from MHA Vigilante is better. (the spin off series)
Same I like Koichi more and I do think he's so far better than Deku.