Future Events When facing Death Kaido will beg for mercy

Oda made a big deal out of Kaido's desire to face death and his belief that in death a man perfects himself.

However, we also know that Kaido could not be killed by any means, so he has actually never felt what it's like to be on the brink of death.

This arc is inspired by the story of Momotaro, a young boy who goes to the Island of Onigashima northeast of Japan, where a band of "Devils" who terrorize the country have located their stronghold. He makes friends with a Monkey, a Dog and a Pheasant, and they manage to defeat the Devils and their leader.

What caught my attention was this part of the story

The chief of the devils at last was the only one left. He made up his mind to surrender, for he knew that his enemy was stronger than mortal man.

He came up humbly to Momotaro and threw down his iron bar, and kneeling down at the victor’s feet he broke off the horns on his head in token of submission, for they were the sign of his strength and power.

“I am afraid of you,” he said meekly. “I cannot stand against you. I will give you all the treasure hidden in this castle if you will spare my life!”

Momotaro laughed.

“It is not like you, big devil, to beg for mercy, is it? I cannot spare your wicked life, however much you beg, for you have killed and tortured many people and robbed our country for many years.”

Then Momotaro tied the devil chief up and gave him into the monkey’s charge. Having done this, he went into all the rooms of the castle and set the prisoners free and gathered together all the treasure he found.

The dog and the pheasant carried home the plunder, and thus Momotaro returned triumphantly to his home, taking with him the devil chief as a captive.

"It is not like you, big devil, to beg for mercy, is it?"

When faced with death, the chief of the devils in the story crumbles and begs for mercy, and in the end is taken as a captive by the Monkey.

I'm starting to think Oda's building up the same "twist" for Kaido.

Basically a reverse "D" moment. Having the man who found it impossible to face death, and is envious of others who have "perfected themselves in death", break down when he finally feels what it's like to face it himself.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Momotaro = Momonosuke and the Monkey who takes the Devil captive is Monkey D. Luffy :super:
Thing is, the animals are the 3 OG Admirals. Oda has spread this tale in so many fronts, that who knows what he will pull out next.
Let's see how it goes.
Kaido was pictured as having some type of special interest in Momonosuke. Maybe it's just because of the Oden thing, but with Momo's maturing moment coming at any chapter now, maybe we will indeed get a confrontation between these 2. And Yamato will be there to protect him and direct fight Kaido.

Problem with this scenario is that it indicates a defeat for the SN's, which is not a scenario I'm willing to bet happening.

Thing is, the animals are the 3 OG Admirals. Oda has spread this tale in so many fronts, that who knows what he will pull out next.
Let's see how it goes.
Kaido was pictured as having some type of special interest in Momonosuke. Maybe it's just because of the Oden thing, but with Momo's maturing moment coming at any chapter now, maybe we will indeed get a confrontation between these 2. And Yamato will be there to protect him and direct fight Kaido.

Problem with this scenario is that it indicates a defeat for the SN's, which is not a scenario I'm willing to bet happening.
Sure, but surely the battle with the "Horned Devils/Oni's" which happens in Onigashima where they have their lair in the story, has to play out now, in Onigashima, against the crew that wears the horns across their ranks and are lead by a Horned Oni.

I wouldn't like that. It would be another fake out from Oda's side not to kill the antagonist this time. And it wouldn't fit Kaido's character. It would just feel like cheap and bad writing.
Well, if it fits the story this is based on, then it would not really be a fake out, would it ?

And Kaido's character has yet to be tested in face of imminent death. We only know what he thinks he'd feel about it, which might purposedly contrast his actual feelings when the time comes.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Well, if it fits the story this is based on, then it would not really be a fake out, would it ?

And Kaido's character has yet to be tested in face of imminent death. We only know what he thinks he'd feel about it, which might purposedly contrast his actual feelings when the time comes.
Pretty sure we have seen him before death.
*cof* Oden almost killing him *cof*.

Oden was literally above his neck about to kill him. It doesn't get closer than that.
Oden was running towards him, but got interrupted by the fake Momo hostage. Kaido was also out of it for a second or two.

We've yet to see a moment of imminent death and how Kaido handles it. He never got to the point the D's do when they smile before their death.