Character Discussion Which Yonko is the best pirate?

Which Yonko is the best pirate?

• Blackbeard

Votes: 53 63.9%
  • Big Mom

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Kaido

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Shanks

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters
Of the four current Yonko, who do you think is the best pirate? And how would you rank the rest?

In my opinion:

1. Blackbeard: He is the definition of a true pirate. Ambitious, opportunistic, greedy and treacherous. Everything he does is for his own benefit. He even dresses like a real pirate. Not for nothing is he based on the most famous pirate in history.

2. Big Mom: Like Blackbeard, she will do anything to achieve her goals. As we have already seen, she is only allied with Kaido out of interest, and is prepared to betray him at any time.

3. Kaido: His ambition seems minor compared to the two previous ones. We know that he wants to turn Wano into the capital of piracy and declare war on the world. Even so, his erratic behavior leaves him in the third position.

4. Shanks: The Yonko who least looks like a pirate. His supposed goal of maintaining a balance in the world takes him away from the TOP3, since he is giving up his freedom, the most valued thing for a pirate.

Shanks is the worst by far, he's a WG snitch, a real pirate takes care of things by himself and doesn't go SNITCH to the WG when he's got a problem with another pirate

Then Kaido/BM tied, they're cowards who hide on their islands for 20+ years cause they were afraid of NEWGATE who was sailing the NW freely at that time

Teach is number 1, real fking Pirate, he's not staying at Beehive Island for 20 years you can bet on it

Shanks by far, has the best life out of these 4.
BM is a misguided child in a granny´s body with a dream inherited by a villain that wanted to sell her, Kaidou is a drunk who is reminiscing about the guy who he blackmailed to humiliate and kill, BB has illusions of grandeur.

Shanks is in it for adventure and partying as long as other matters do not drag things down.

Shanks > BB > BM > Kaidou

Blackbeard and Shanks are clearly meant to be understood as "the most pirate" of the four just by their connection with Luffy (one is his pirate counterpart, the other his pirate role model), their designs (one hyperbolizes traits from traditional representations of pirates, the other was potentially designed after an illustration of a typical pirate by Howard Pyle) and their portrayal (one is the big contender to the title of Pirate King, believes in fate and dreams, etc. and even holds the name of the most infamous pirate in popular culture, while the other has been stated, if I recall correctly, to be the closest man to what such title represents because he's the closest to being the freest).

In my opinion, Big Mom and Kaido are clearly depicted in a different way, less of a pirate per say with Linlin being an evil witch that leads an autocratic, mafia-like empire (her arc literally revolves around tales and mafia themes), and Kaido being the classic ogre in Japanese myths leading a barbarian country that was explicitly referred in Ace's novel (if I'm not wrong) as operating more like a gangster than a pirate.

Of course this depends on what you understand by pirate, if you follow the more open concept in-verse or the classic depiction out-verse. I'm personally following the latter, and by doing so it's obvious that Oda wants Blackbeard and Shanks to be the epitome of piracy as in relation to the main character and his understanding of it, which is quite classic (in a romantic way) by itself. While Blackbeard and Shanks feel like Luffy and even Usopp, Kaido and Linlin look more like the rest of the Straw Hats, who are pirates in their actions and circumstances but not so much in their hearts and philosophy (most were even introduced as pirate haters).

Last edited:
Teach .... not even a fucking question ...

PIRATES ... are down side of humanity who do what ever they like and have no morality and care a

Big Mom and Kaido are kinda like pirates but they care more about power and don't have pirate life style

Shanks? well he care too much for balance of world ... he is like pirates for sure but not a real pirate compare to Teach

Teach is the only real pirate of the story as far as I'm aware
Post automatically merged:

Shanks is the worst by far, he's a WG snitch, a real pirate takes care of things by himself and doesn't go SNITCH to the WG when he's got a problem with another pirate
Roger = join Marine to fight Xebec and save CDs life

so even if Shanks join hand with World Government it's not a shameful thing for him to do

but "you" seem like a pirate yourself ... if benign honorable and caring for balance and greater good is a bad thing in your eyes
great ... your morality is pirate level :cheers:

p.s
the odds for WG working for Shanks is bigger than vise versa:milaugh:

Then Kaido/BM tied, they're cowards who hide on their islands for 20+ years cause they were afraid of NEWGATE who was sailing the NW freely at that time

Teach is number 1, real fking Pirate, he's not staying at Beehive Island for 20 years you can bet on it
That snitch is stronger than Mihawk and every admiral btw.

Depends on what you consider a "good pirate", the biggest pain in the ass for the government is undoubtly Blackbeard.

It seems like in the new world almost every island is either useless like punk hazard or "owned" by one of the yonko by paying them tribute one way or another, even dressrosa was owned by a warlord but secretly protected by Kaido since he had interests with the smiles produced there, soo i dont think any of them, exept maybe blackbeard, do much actual piracy at all. Since raiding each other islands would likely mean war between the yonko, wich would make them vulnerable to the other 2 yonko.

Blackbeard and Shanks are clearly meant to be understood as "the most pirate" of ouf the four just by their connection with Luffy (one is his pirate counterpart, the other his pirate role model), their designs (one hyperbolizes traits from traditional representations of pirates, the other was potentially designed after an illustration of a typical pirate by Howard Pyle) and their portrayal (one is the big contender to the title of Pirate King, believes in fate and dreams, etc. and even holds the name of the most infamous pirate in popular culture, while the other has been stated, if I recall correctly, to be the closest man to what such title represents because he's the closest to being the freest).
Very good argument. I hadn't realized the source of Shanks' inspiration.

The pirate in the illustration dresses similarly to Shanks, it is true.