Questions & Mysteries Why is One Piece compared to Naruto?

As someone who's just started the anime of One Piece and as someone who's watched Naruto I just can't figure out why these two series are even compared? Every OP fan (or most people) shit on FT but I feel like OP fits in a category with FT better... I know its usually whichever you watch first is better for you but I fully believe MHA will surpass the big 3 and enjoy it plenty but OP lacks intensity, true conflict, deep emotion, stakes and god its not a great anime adaptation. I'm enjoying it well enough but like I said its comparable to FT for me.

Avoid Spoilers. Naruto ones too I'm a Naruto noob.

We compare the manga not the anime.

One Piece is better than all the shonens that you said because of the deeper themes, symbolisms, meanings and world building.

One Piece is definitely above Naruto

Now I don't want to spoil you, but if you're caught up with the manga, watch Mr.Morj videos on YouTube

Nah chief, it has world-building I'll give you that.

No it clearly has more symbolism than MHA, the devil is in the details. Oda juggles with themes all the time. You're still a rookie so it's normal. But I don't know which arc you are.

Like I said once you're caught up, go watch mr.mork
Im finishing Eneis Lobby, and symbolism? Its not deep enough to note if its been there......and who cares symbolism is what fanboys use to justify.....MHA arcs are way more enjoyable with intensity and conflict instead of this boring gauntlet style arc that lasts way too long.

But I digress, I've seen and enjoyed a shit ton of shounen....OP seems more like a saturday morning cartoon than an anime at times.

Im finishing Eneis Lobby, and symbolism? Its not deep enough to note if its been there......and who cares symbolism is what fanboys use to justify.....MHA arcs are way more enjoyable with intensity and conflict instead of this boring gauntlet style arc that lasts way too long.

But I digress, I've seen and enjoyed a shit ton of shounen....OP seems more like a saturday morning cartoon than an anime at times.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvohL2eaDa7TAImOJaYl5dQ

He will explain better than me but watch later because spoilers

I only follow the earlier episodes of Naruto, iirc until Hidan / Kakuzu arc.

But imo Naruto is more comparable to Fairy Tail instead of One Piece. One Piece is more adventurous and always visiting new places, instead of going back to hometown / HQ after each mission / arc.

Meanwhile both Naruto and Fairy Tail have:
- a hometown acting like HQ (Konoha / FT building). Both also have focused place in the town, ramen spot and Lucy's small house.
- guild leader / village leader (Makarov and Tsunade)
- MC doing mission with a team (Team 7 or team with Shikamaru, Choji, Kiba, etc : team with Erza, Gray, Lucy, Wendy, Happy)
- MC started as not the strongest 1 in his main team, strongest was Kakashi / Erza.
- Clearer romance plot for the MCs. NatsuLucy and NaruSaku or NaruHina. While in OP Oda once said there's no romance within the crew.
- MC's village/guild begins to ally with neighboring guild / villages.

I only follow the earlier episodes of Naruto, iirc until Hidan / Kakuzu arc.

But imo Naruto is more comparable to Fairy Tail instead of One Piece. One Piece is more adventurous and always visiting new places, instead of going back to hometown / HQ after each mission / arc.
Again you're describing a Saturday morning cartoon, not a plot.

Meanwhile both Naruto and Fairy Tail have:
- a hometown acting like HQ (Konoha / FT building). Both also have focused place in the town, ramen spot and Lucy's small house.
- guild leader / village leader (Makarov and Tsunade)
- MC doing mission with a team (Team 7 or team with Shikamaru, Choji, Kiba, etc : team with Erza, Gray, Lucy, Wendy, Happy)
- MC started as not the strongest 1 in his main team, strongest was Kakashi / Erza.
- Clearer romance plot for the MCs. NatsuLucy and NaruSaku or NaruHina. While in OP Oda once said there's no romance within the crew.
- MC's village/guild begins to ally with neighboring guild / villages.
Those are basic shounen points lolol the structure of OP arcs are clearly exactly the same as FT......they did it first but still.

Also luffy starting out as the strongest was dumb imo.

Again you're describing a Saturday morning cartoon, not a plot.
Wtf??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Those are basic shounen points lolol the structure of OP arcs are clearly exactly the same as FT......they did it first but still.

Also luffy starting out as the strongest was dumb imo.
Well to be fair, Luffy didn't start out as the strongest. Pretty clear it was Zoro.
Post automatically merged:

Zoro left East Blue with Wado and Sandai. Left East Blue with feat of surviving Mihawk's attack without fainting!!!

What is Luffy's feat in East Blue saga?
Defeated Arlong? Lol

East Blue Zoro performed better against Mihawk than East blue Luffy against Smoker #fact

Wtf??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well to be fair, Luffy didn't start out as the strongest. Pretty clear it was Zoro.

Zoro left East Blue with Wado and Sandai. Left East Blue with feat of surviving Mihawk's attack without fainting!!!

What is Luffy's feat in East Blue saga?
Defeated Arlong? Lol

East Blue Zoro performed better against Mihawk than East blue Luffy against Smoker #fact
Man I'm sitting here wasting a whole episode on them crying over a ship.....Meanwhile Naruto had actual realistic human emotion.

But anyways, what the east blue saga was garbage and Luffy was the one fighting the big bad everytime.....p clear the show established with its same arc routine that luffy will always be the strongest.

EB Luffy would have lost against Arlong without villagers' help. He would died drowning in the pond.

EB Luffy would have lost against Smoker if Dragon didn't come to save his ass.

EB Zoro survived 1 vs 1 against Mihawk who was using his Yoru, without fainting!!!

EB Luffy would have lost against Arlong without villagers' help. He would died drowning in the pond.

EB Luffy would have lost against Smoker if Dragon didn't come to save his ass.

EB Zoro survived 1 vs 1 against Mihawk who was using his Yoru, without fainting!!!
Zoro lost to Arlong.

But I'm not arguing that here

Man I'm sitting here wasting a whole episode on them crying over a ship.....Meanwhile Naruto had actual realistic human emotion.

But anyways, what the east blue saga was garbage and Luffy was the one fighting the big bad everytime.....p clear the show established with its same arc routine that luffy will always be the strongest.
Well not Oda's fault he made mere ship like Going Merry dying had more impact than 3rd Hokage or Asuma dying.

P.s.
Luffy faced Krieg. Zoro faced Mihawk. Mihawk is like ten thousand times stronger than Krieg. And sorry for the understatement.

Zoro lost to Arlong.

But I'm not arguing that here
Post WSS + Yoru's slash Zoro.

Meanwhile healthy Luffy lost to Arlong without villagers' help.

Well not Oda's fault he made mere ship like Going Merry dying had more impact than 3rd Hokage or Asuma dying.

P.s.
Luffy faced Krieg. Zoro faced Mihawk. Mihawk is like ten thousand times stronger than Krieg. And sorry for the understatement.

Post WSS + Yoru's slash Zoro.

Meanwhile healthy Luffy lost to Arlong without villagers' help.
I don't really care, Haku and Zabuza arc had more emotion than these first 300 episodes for me.

I don't really care, Haku and Zabuza arc had more emotion than these first 300 episodes for me.
Okay sure. But for me, Arlong arc had more emotion.
When Nami kept stabbing herself in the arm, then Luffy stopped her, and ended with Nami asking Luffy for help.
Then Luffy vs Arlong when Luffy saw the room in where Nami was forced to draw map against her will then procceeded to destroy the room.
Flashback was good too imo when Arlong killed Bellemere for the example so that the villagers didn't deny him anymore.

One Piece has no emotion lol. I don't want to lawyer it but this 1 is so wrong

- the moment Luffy and boys are knocking the door of Arlong park and asked which 1 is Arlong
- the moment when Luffy and the boys are knocking the door of Franky Family
- Nami, Chopper, and Robin's flashback

No true conflict is probably more legit though as usually Luffy doesn't have any real beef with the big bad, he mostly only helped the damsels which happen to be his friends.

Last edited:
These two series are compared because of their contemporary popularity, not because of their structure or plotline. Even though One Piece, Naruto and Bleach were commonly grouped as the big 3, there was a huge difference in manga sales between One Piece and Naruto, and in between Naruto and Bleach. For the most part, Bleach was ranked much lower than other two.

Some people also take into account their popularity in international stage, where One Piece was not always considered the most popular out of the 3.

Based on manga sales and international popularity, One Piece and Naruto are the two big players in my opinion that shaped the industry during 2000s. Thats why you will hear fans mostly compare these two.

P.S. Do not mention Fairy Tail and One Piece in the same sentence.

Last edited:
I think it just comes down to the two series being some of the biggest shounen titles out there, and most people having seen both at some point. Otherwise One Piece and Naruto seem pretty unrelated for the most part.

Also the pirates verses ninjas theme... :whistle:

M

MD Zolo

Clearly you've skipped majority of OP or just biased against it. Robin's flashback or Nami's flashback were some of the most emotional concepts shown among all Big Manga/Anime.

What about the time when Luffy wanted (and managed to) ring the Golden Bell to prove to Montblanc Cricket that his Ancestor Norland wasn't a lier? The friendship between Calgara and Norland? What about Tom-san talking to Franky for the last time?

None of them were manufactured emotion. And it didn't take sobbing to get there.