Future Events Why Zoro and Sanji will face Calamities

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Preamble

We're roughly 70 chapters deep into Wano, and the fighting portion of the arc has now commenced. Many believe this will be Zoro's and Sanji's opportunity to finally show what they are made of. I will be breaking down some points as to why they will and should fight Calamities in this war. Those being King and Queen in particular.

1. The Dynamic

From the outset, the first thing that got readers thinking King and Queen would face the monster duo are their introduction. Their spat and bad blood reminiscent not just of Zoro and Sanji, but some of their past opponents as well.

King and Queen possess traits akin to Zoro and Sanji as well. Queen being the eccentric womanizer and chain smoker, while King is the stoic swordsman with a ton of pride.

2. Preliminary matchups

During the second act of the Wano arc, Oda has been carefully building Zoro and Sanji up towards their inevitable fights. It's clear after the effort Luffy took to bring down two commanders during WCI, some ground work had to be laid out. And while it wasn't as extensive as Luffy, Oda managed it by giving them preliminary fights.Those being Killer and P1.

Starting with P1, Sanji resorted to his power up. While the result of the match was dubious, Sanji demonstrated more control during the fight. This was also him testing the suit out, and not really going all out.

Next is Zoro vs Killer, aka, Kamazou. While the results aren't as ambiguous, circumstances towards it were. Questions are raised whether Killer was fighting to his best potential. Those debates aside, Zoro wasn't in the best of condition either, missing a sword and being hungry, suggested so by his demand to Hiyori to feed him food and sake once he beats Killer.

Zoro was also in a 2v1 situation when he was struck by Killer.

Despite all this working against him, Zoro was capable of not only taking Killer's weapon from him, he also struck him down with a Santoryu move using a weapon he has never used before.

These matchups in particular are interesting as P1 and Killer should represent the spectrum right under Yonko Commanders. With Sanji having the upper hand in his fight, and Zoro decisively winning his, these levels of fighters don't represent an extreme challenge for Zoro or Sanji to outstrip.

The second set of matchups they had weren't as elaborate, but they paint a picture. The next time we see Zoro and Sanji fight someone, they are Kyoshiro (Denjiro) and X Drake.

Starting with Zoro vs Kyoshiro. Zoro was stated to be putting up a good fight against Kyoshiro, as stated by Kyoshiro's men.

Kyoshiro did not put his all into that clash, however, we know Zoro wasn't either due to only having two swords and not resorting to haki. However, the brief exchange they had, as well as Kyoshiro's men's comments, implies the two are of striking distance to each other.

The next is Sanji vs X Drake. While Sanji did not look as good against Drake, he still manage to take attacks from him quite well. Half of the clash also saw Sanji having to take Toko's safety into consideration, while Drake was only focused on Sanji.

Sanji did not rely on the RS during this scuffle, so it's safe to say he wasn't trying his hardest to beat Drake.

Now lets go into explaining who Kyoshiro and Drake are. Starting with Kyoshiro. He is the Yakuza boss for the Kyoshiro family, and secretly Denjiro of the 9 Red Scabbards. Denjiro was singled out by Kin'emon as one of 3 powerful samurai whom the alliance had to recruit. The other two samurai include Ashura Douji and Kawamatsu. The former having not only scarred a Calamity, but mocked them as but merely a subordinate.

This same Ashura Douji even cautioned everyone about Kyoshiro, labeling him a "demon with the blade" when it was thought he was an enemy to the Alliance.

Onward to X Drake, his clout speaks for itself. He was a former Rear Admiral for the Marines, now Worst Gen pirate. He managed to climb the ranks of the Beast Pirates during the 2 year timeskip and make it to the Rank of Flying Six, or Tobi Roppo.

In the most recent chapter where all Tobi Roppo were introduced, the question came up as to who would replace Queen as a Calamity. This appears allude the Tobi Roppo to rank just below the Calamities. Drake in particular was singled out as a potential candidate.

These various instances imply Kyoshiro and Drake are just below, if not, borderline of where the Calamity sit, strength-wise. And Zoro and Sanji clashed with such characters relatively early in the arc. And before their real preparations. Speaking of which.

3. Preparations

Despite the earlier scuffles, Zoro's and Sanji's available showings in Wano doesn't represent what they are currently capable of. Before the War, there was a period for preparations.

We'll start with Zoro who is the most apparent. Zoro received the legendary blade Enma and spent the remaining days of the raid (5 to be precise) training with the sword, which he claims will make him stronger once he gets use to it.

Sanji isn't made as obvious, but he did mention Usopp and Franky modifying the Raid Suit just before his clash with P1 got off-paneled.

Modifying the suit doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna get better, but the point is, Oda suggest the suit will change next time we see it. There wouldn't be a need to change it if it didn't get upgraded in any way. Usopp and Franky have also had more than a week to work on a blueprint for a redesign.

With the Alliance heading to war, it is logical to assume everyone made the necessary effort to best prepare for it. In short, Zoro and Sanji have a starting cap going into the war higher than when they set foot in Wano.

4. Dramaticism

Tension makes battles more interesting. Zoro and Sanji have already clashed and even bested some characters who rank just below the Calamities prior to the big war. For all this planning to amount to battles against relatively minor antagonists like the Tobi Roppo would not satisfy the build up put into this war and their involvement in it. Luffy considered Sanji a valued asset combat wise during Zou, and was one of his major reasons for even going to Big Mom's territory in order to get him back.

For Zoro, he is the only swordsman on the alliance to have tamed Enma. A feat only performed by Kozuki Oden. Arguably the second strongest swordsman Wano has ever produced. This puts Zoro's narrative and strength potential this arc far higher than all the Scabbards. Of which include the likes of fighters who pressed a Calamity Jack.

In previous arcs, there would be build up to how formidable the enemies will be for the Strawhats. An air of uncertainty as to whether they could win. Oda created this atmosphere around Luffy and Kaido. But even prior to that, a notable example would be during Enies Lobby/Water 7 when Zoro and Sanji had clashes with CP9 agents and did less than flattering on their first encounters.

Take this clash for instance.

The interaction with Blueno set CP9's threat level, Sanji barely being able to injure Blueno. The 4th strongest CP9 agent. Sanji would then proceed to challenge someone more than 3 times stronger than Blueno in Jabra. The stakes and tension for that fight high as Sanji was last seen struggling against somebody who forced his captain to use his power up and who he struggled to even damage. Sanji would defeat Jabra, creating catharsis through him overcoming a wall that was thought out of his reach not long ago. The Calamities similarly representing that wall he and Zoro should strive to surpass at the current stage of the story.

4. Conclusion

One Piece is on the verge of ending, and Wano represents a major series milestone. Just as how Luffy shall cement himself on the level of the Emperors, his strongest fighters will solidify themselves on par with the top executives of Emperor crews.

Last edited:
Agreed. Regardless of how much one piece has left, 5 years, 10 years, whatever, we are at a point where Luffy, even if it's through a collaboration with other people, will take down a Yonko this arc. Even if Luffy fights another Yonko commander, such as the potential Ace, he STILL will have moments were it looks like he is trumping over Kaido/BM. Do I think Luffy is going to be literally stronger than Kaido beyond this arc? No, probably not, the arc is relying heavily on the concept of alliances and working to bring down the Yonko.

BUT, do I think Luffy's top crew members, Zoro and Sanji, should be able to tackle Yonko commanders from this point forward? Hell yes. It's time they get pushed to their limits. Luffy got his at WCI, he may even get it again with the Ace if he exists, hell, he may get it a second time with Kaido this arc. But his crew need to be taken seriously as well here.

I feel like Kidd is going to take out King. He hasn't had a single fight in the series yet and with Oda playing him up to be Luffy's rival, he should at the very least be strong enough to take out King. That and Kidd can fly with magnetism so he can engage King in the sky, Zoro can't.

Zoro vs Queen and Sanji vs Jack would be much better fights imo. Neither Zoro nor Sanji have beaten a single high tier yet. So it I doesn't make sense to me that they suddenly jump to YC1 and YC2 tier.

Really good thread, as usual! I’d also add that King possesses a variant of the dragon-dragon fruit, and Zoro has had a tiger vs dragon motif for many of his major opponents

Ryuu = dragon
Dracul = dragon
Zoro vs Ryuuma
Zoro vs Shiryuu
Zoro vs PH dragon
Zoro vs Dracule Mihawk

OP magazine has hinted at Zoro facing off against a dragon in Wano, the most likely candidates being King and Kaido himself. Will he fight one or both of them? Time will tell.

I feel like Kidd is going to take out King. He hasn't had a single fight in the series yet and with Oda playing him up to be Luffy's rival, he should at the very least be strong enough to take out King. That and Kidd can fly with magnetism so he can engage King in the sky, Zoro can't.

Zoro vs Queen and Sanji vs Jack would be much better fights imo. Neither Zoro nor Sanji have beaten a single high tier yet. So it I doesn't make sense to me that they suddenly jump to YC1 and YC2 tier.
Why would Kid fight King when he's aiming at Kaido? Also he already injured one of Big Mom's Sweet Generals

J

Jo_Ndule

If Luffy and Kidd meet King & queen or Queen & Smoothie on the way
You think Oda wouldn't make those 2 flex on Commanders as they continue their competition?

Just pray that when king/queen shows up, luffy and Kidd arent present

Yes this very clearly being set up. I truly believe the Tobi Roppo will be facing off against the other straw hats save for X Drake who's in outlier. King and Queen are definitely for Zoro and Sanji. I was confused why some people thought otherwise like they haven't read the classic Oda formula yet. Which that formula match up (action wise from his arguably best arcs) has had a break. Now it's nice to see to happen again.

Luffy is supposedly going against someone who one shotted him at the beginning of the arc. I'd say Zoro and Sanji taking out commanders extreme diff is absolutely necessary for the progression of the story at this point. Same can be said for the straw hats in general honestly.

MonsterZoro

Spoiler Provider
Luffy went all out so many times during the time skip before Katakuri and he still had snake man under his sleeves. Then on top of that learned adv Haki
Sanji and zoro never went all out so we know for sure they have something from the training we haven’t seen yet. I think that they will each unlock a form of adv Haki themselves. Obviously sanji future sight and zoro adv coa. Already hinted with Enma and sanji dodging Katakuri bullet.

After this arc Luffy will learn adv Coc and awakening the last step before pirate king level... if sanji and zoro don’t even have one form of adv Haki after there extreme diff fight in wano with king and queen they will fall behind too much.

to be able to face a commander sanji and zoro would need to be at gear 4th level, which they are not. It doesn't matter that we never saw them go all out, because what ever their all out is it has to be less than gear 4th. and from what we have seen you need the fire power and defense on caliber of gear 4th.
also there is way to many characters on luffy side who are clearly at a similar level or above zoro & sanji, they aren't getting more than one fight this arc.
before anyone cite the example of enies lobby, consider how we never had an arc like that for 13 years, the power-ups were sloppy and Oda never did it again. and zoro and sanji always fighting the 2nd and 3rd strongest is vastly over blown trope amplified by filler and movies, only happening in canon 2 or 3 times. EL & Alabasta are the only ones coming to me.
their gonna have to settle for tobi roppo this arc.
I think Marco and jozu are more appropriate, it ties to their connection to oden and it would be a great send of to the whitebeard pirates since they have taken too many Ls lately.

they can progress naturally from tobi roppo to veteran to commanders arc by arc. but of course every one is gonna start wailing about how there is no more time left to justify bullsh!t power-ups. and who decided this is the arc where the strawhats are gonna go all out, if anything this is where the scabbards,the minks & the present SN are gonna go all out because it's the last time they will be featured for a while. the rest of the strawhats are gonna do what they always do, use their unique talents to help as much as possible.
instead of accepting that there is no istablished pattern for fights in one piece save for luffy, we model every arc after two outliers (arcs that is,EL & Alabasta) and end up disappointed every time.

I want to see them solo commander. Power level wise, I don't know if it makes sense but that's what I want to see from them.

However I'm starting to wonder if zoro vs killer was just for him to save hiyori and if drake vs sanji was just drake playing his role as a beast pirate.

Since everybody has been saying this is the tag teaming arc, it's possible that we see zoro and killer fight together against king, and sanji and drake fight together against queen. With both straw hats dealing the more damages of course but I'm starting to see these team ups as a possibility.

The post makes sense however Sanji is physically not ready for it

It's up to Goda and its geniality to find a way to somehow fit everything in

Enma vs a guy who evokes the literal Enma. Zoro being intrigued by cutting fire vs a guy who stays on fire. The guy who inherited swords from the two legendary samurai who cut dragons out of the sky vs a flying "dragon."

Sanji will get a redesign and no upgrades. In the future maybe Frwnky will make the durability or boosters even fast but that's it. For sure no lasers or something
the upgrade is just knowing how it works vs using it blindly

They should fight them . their next opponents after in Wano , are Shiryu and someone else from Blackbeard Pirates who will be stronger than King and Queen

And i think Sanji with RS and DJ could already be superior to Base and Full Zoan Queen . might be similar with Zoro and King

but i expect Hybrid Queen to defeat Sanji in this upcoming raid . King will defeat Zoro as well