Chapter Discussion Zoro, The Grim Reaper, And Hawkins' Strength Tarot Card

So on a session of retrospective reading I noticed something rather interesting and it may actually have something to do with Zoro's confrontation with the grim reaper in the latest chapter.

As we know, In chapter 1029, Hawkins' involvement in the war as well as his hold on Kid was promptly cut short by Killer, with his final moments being his reading on the definition behind the final card he was able to draw : The Tower. Our focus is not on any of the above, but rather, the thing Oda had brilliantly snuck into the chapter, obscured by the main focus of the chapter and the various events occurring within.

Amongst the flying cards scattering about during Killer's Climatic finisher upon Hawkins, there lies one that has some rather meaningful imagery decorating its face. A skeleton and lion/tiger together with light rays peering from above along with an infinity symbol. A quick google search revealed this card to be tarot card number VIII; the strength card. The notable identifiers being the Large cat that both cards similarly include as well as the the infinity sign lying overhead which both cards also shares. Hawkins' version of this card instead of having a lady alongside the lion has a skeleton with a dark cloak obscuring its body.

Strength Tarot Card

Killer Finale

Close Up

The imagery of this card when combined with information we know leads to one conclusion. Luffy and Zoro will be the ones to defeat Kaido during the dawn. As a prominent lurker of this forum I know at least one member reading this has rolled their eyes into the back of they're head upon me mentioning Zoro but just read the rest of the post. It'll all come full circle soon.

Luffy, as we know has been placed alongside tigers throughout the series with the latest showing of that being made rather recently when Oda made a drawing celebrating the new year and although it is to a lesser extent, he has been shown alongside lions too. This connects Luffy to the imagery within Hawkins' card add Whether or not the feline within the card is a lion or tiger is irrelevant as Luffy has made appearances next to both animals.

Luffy #1

Luffy #2

The latest chapter has revealed to us that Zoro is now conscious after his bout with King only to be confronted by the grim reaper in the flesh... er- bone. With this newfound development in mind, no explanation is needed to explain the connection between Zoro and the cloaked skeleton on the image of the strength card, especially since our favorite green haired swordsman has a history of naming his attacks after purgatory, hell, demons and has even dubbed himself as the king of the Hell.

Zoro

Zoro and Luffy have made declarations of taking down Kaido on numerous occasions and between the two of them, have abundant reason, motive, and evidence towards them undergoing such a colossal task. This is all wrapped up nicely upon viewing the meaning behind the strength card: "Strength predicts the triumphant conclusion to a major life problem, situation or temptation through strength of character. It is a very happy card if you are fighting illness or recovering from injury.". I have confidence that everyone reading is intellectually capable enough to make the rather obvious connection between the meaning of the card and how it correlates perfectly with the premise of Zoro and Luffy taking down Kaido. One last tidbit I had forgotten to mention earlier within the post was the Light rays shown in the strength card signify how this will happen during the dawn which coincides with Toki's prophecy and how Kaido is meant to be defeated during the dawn.

With all of the above taken into consideration, it seems highly likely that Zoro and Luffy will be the ones to finally put down Kaido. End post.

This is very interesting.

Another intriguing moment:

I know Hawkins is supposed to be talking about his Strawman.

But what if there's a hidden meaning here: "strawman" referring to "straw hat"

"This straw hat will not perish, it will come back to life"

Note that the card depicts a Shinigami/grim reaper (skeleton in a cloak w/ scythe), the same thing appearing in front of Zoro right now

very interesting
there's yet so much we don't know about hawkins's DF.
i think zoro is linked to one of hawkins's strawmen
-we know that hawkins is allowed to have 10 strawmen/lives thanks to his DF, but in onigashima we didn't see how many of those he lost (he lost 4-5 i think) nor did we see to whom they belonged (one belonged to kid).
-i believe the condition that allows hawkins to link people to his strawman is to make contact with their blood, and as we already know zoro was pierced by strawman nails during his fight against hawkins, so that should fulfil the condition.
-and lastly i think that hawkins survived and somehow he's trying to save zoro by transferring zoro's damage to another person, and i also think that the grim reaper is the manifestation of hawkins severing zoro's link to the strawman.

Wait another thing I just noticed...holy shit

So in this chapter Kid says:

"If you give it long enough, even mountains can be worn down by rain" in reference to defeating Kaido/Yonkos

This is VERY, VERY similar to what it says on Luffy and Zoro's jackets in this recent christmas color spread:

Luffy's jacket says "every drop in the ocean counts" while Zoro's says "made ripples"

:crazwhat::crazwhat:

"If you give it long enough, even mountains can be worn down by rain" in reference to defeating Kaido/Yonkos

This is VERY, VERY similar to what it says on Luffy and Zoro's jackets in this recent christmas color spread:

Luffy's jacket says "every drop in the ocean counts" while Zoro's says "made ripples"

Thats a really good point. Oda likes calls back and call forwards so this is very believeable. Parallelling two sayings that basically translate to "something small affecting something large with reptition". The only thing that offsets this a wee bit is that the the sentence structure is a bit loose, but we can just chalk that up to Oda not wanting to be too obvious
:myman:

Stretching as always

Gooners "his strawman"

Hawkins sweating buckets After he picked the
tower because he knew he will lose ?
Why he will link that for Luffy and Zoro ?

He never thought Luffy will perish and he's allied with Kaido only because he thinks SN will lose
If he knows Luffy will he will have change of side

Deathcard is for Hawkins strawman and it's a perk not a cons
So linking it to Zoro is a stretch
Unless you think the grim Reaper is a allied of Hawkins and Zoro

Luffy will finish Kaido 1vs1 it is clear it's why BM can't go to the Rooftop

You linked two things who have nothing in common bar from a grim reaper (which is a common thing )

Last edited:
Stretching as always

Gooners "his strawman"

Hawkins sweating buckets After he picked the
tower because he knew he will lose ?
Why he will link that for Luffy and Zoro ?

He never thought Luffy will perish and he's allied with Kaido only because he thinks SN will lose
If he knows Luffy will he will have change of side

Deathcard is for Hawkins strawman and it's a perk not a cons
So linking it to Zoro is a stretch
Unless you think the grim Reaper is a allied of Hawkins and Zoro

Luffy will finish Kaido 1vs1 it is clear it's why BM can't go to the Rooftop

You linked two things who have nothing in common bar from a grim reaper (which is a common thing )
I'm confused. Are you saying I compared luffy and zoro to the tower card or the card with only the grim reaper on it?

No I'm saying relating those cards to Luffy and Zoro is a stretch
Well I wasn't comparing the two of them to those cards, I was comparing them to the one card that wasn't mentioned or drawn by hawkins himself. The one depicting two very specific entities, that being the large feline (Luffy) and the grim reaper (Zoro) with the infinity sign above it. Keep in mind that the card translates to the triumphant conclusion to a major life problem, situation or temptation through strength of character. That doesn't seem like a stretch to me...
:josad:

:steef:

So on a session of retrospective reading I noticed something rather interesting and it may actually have something to do with Zoro's confrontation with the grim reaper in the latest chapter.

As we know, In chapter 1029, Hawkins' involvement in the war as well as his hold on Kid was promptly cut short by Killer, with his final moments being his reading on the definition behind the final card he was able to draw : The Tower. Our focus is not on any of the above, but rather, the thing Oda had brilliantly snuck into the chapter, obscured by the main focus of the chapter and the various events occurring within.

Amongst the flying cards scattering about during Killer's Climatic finisher upon Hawkins, there lies one that has some rather meaningful imagery decorating its face. A skeleton and lion/tiger together with light rays peering from above along with an infinity symbol. A quick google search revealed this card to be tarot card number VIII; the strength card. The notable identifiers being the Large cat that both cards similarly include as well as the the infinity sign lying overhead which both cards also shares. Hawkins' version of this card instead of having a lady alongside the lion has a skeleton with a dark cloak obscuring its body.

Strength Tarot Card

Killer Finale

Close Up

The imagery of this card when combined with information we know leads to one conclusion. Luffy and Zoro will be the ones to defeat Kaido during the dawn. As a prominent lurker of this forum I know at least one member reading this has rolled their eyes into the back of they're head upon me mentioning Zoro but just read the rest of the post. It'll all come full circle soon.

Luffy, as we know has been placed alongside tigers throughout the series with the latest showing of that being made rather recently when Oda made a drawing celebrating the new year and although it is to a lesser extent, he has been shown alongside lions too. This connects Luffy to the imagery within Hawkins' card add Whether or not the feline within the card is a lion or tiger is irrelevant as Luffy has made appearances next to both animals.

Luffy #1

Luffy #2

The latest chapter has revealed to us that Zoro is now conscious after his bout with King only to be confronted by the grim reaper in the flesh... er- bone. With this newfound development in mind, no explanation is needed to explain the connection between Zoro and the cloaked skeleton on the image of the strength card, especially since our favorite green haired swordsman has a history of naming his attacks after purgatory, hell, demons and has even dubbed himself as the king of the Hell.

Zoro

Zoro and Luffy have made declarations of taking down Kaido on numerous occasions and between the two of them, have abundant reason, motive, and evidence towards them undergoing such a colossal task. This is all wrapped up nicely upon viewing the meaning behind the strength card: "Strength predicts the triumphant conclusion to a major life problem, situation or temptation through strength of character. It is a very happy card if you are fighting illness or recovering from injury.". I have confidence that everyone reading is intellectually capable enough to make the rather obvious connection between the meaning of the card and how it correlates perfectly with the premise of Zoro and Luffy taking down Kaido. One last tidbit I had forgotten to mention earlier within the post was the Light rays shown in the strength card signify how this will happen during the dawn which coincides with Toki's prophecy and how Kaido is meant to be defeated during the dawn.

With all of the above taken into consideration, it seems highly likely that Zoro and Luffy will be the ones to finally put down Kaido. End post.
:christindeed:

Now that I think of it, Punk Hazard dragon was defeated by having Luffy ruin one of the dragon's wings before Zoro killed it after jumping from below. ZKK could also happen similarly with Luffy KKG from above Kaido and Zoro using Asura on Kaido after jumping from below. :christnally:

Well I wasn't comparing the two of them to those cards, I was comparing them to the one card that wasn't mentioned or drawn by hawkins himself. The one depicting two very specific entities, that being the large feline (Luffy) and the grim reaper (Zoro) with the infinity sign above it. Keep in mind that the card translates to the triumphant conclusion to a major life problem, situation or temptation through strength of character. That doesn't seem like a stretch to me...
You said you were a lurker here, yeah? So let me tell you something, then: Anti-Zoro Pirates are notoriously unreasonable around here. You can say Zoro uses three-sword style or has a green hair and they will somehow call it a stretch, too. :emohiyo:

Case in point:

Just look how many of them argued in 1033 spoilers that Zoro's declaration on the last panel referred to Luffy and Lanjino instead of Luffy and Kuina before full/official translation proved them wrong (for the umpteenth time). :kobeha:

I mean, anybody with decent reading comprehension skills knows that Zoro prioritizes Luffy's dream above his own and Kuina holds a special place in Zoro's heart, while Zoro does not even like Lanjino, so why would he refer to the Cook at all when mentioning his dream? :arnoling:

However, did this stop Anti-Zoro Pirates from saying something so ridiculous? Nope. :denzimote:

And, lastly, cool analysis. :datas:

Last edited:
:steef:

:christindeed:

Now that I think of it, Punk Hazard dragon was defeated by having Luffy ruin one of the dragon's wings before Zoro killed it after jumping from below. ZKK could also happen similarly with Luffy KKG from above Kaido and Zoro using Asura on Kaido after jumping from below. :christnally:

You said you were a lurker here, yeah? So let me tell you something, then: Anti-Zoro Pirates are notoriously unreasonable around here. You can say Zoro usss three-sword style or has a green hair and they will somehow call it a stretch, too. :emohiyo:

Case in point:

Just look how many of them argued in 1033 spoilers that Zoro's declaration on the last panel referred to Luffy and Lanjino instead of Luffy and Kuina before full/official translation proved them wrong (for the umpteenth time). :kobeha:

I mean, anybody with decent reading comprehension skills knows that Zoro prioritizes Luffy's dream above his own and Kuina holds a special place in Zoro's heart, while Zoro does not even like Lanjino, so why would he refer to the Cook at all when mentioning his dream? :arnoling:

However, did this stop Anti-Zoro Pirates from saying something so ridiculous? Nope. :denzimote:

And, lastly, cool analysis. :datas:
I've lurked here for about a year. I know full well how people on both sides get down when the topic is about the grand master.
:suresure::suresure::suresure:

Yet I'll still give people the benefit of the doubt and answer them wholly and honestly.
:sweat:
Thx for the heads up regardless though, you a real one.
:kata:

So you used a card that wasn't drawn by Hawkins
It's a bigger stretch

So you used a card that wasn't drawn by Hawkins
It's a bigger stretch
How is that the case when the tower tarot card was reflecting kid and laws confrontation with big mom and the death tarot was a attack boost for Hawkin's strawmen!? The strength tarot is literally the only one that can be attributed to both Luffy and Zoro for reasons stated already, yet this is somehow a bigger stretch than if I was comparing them with tarot cards that had little to nothing to do with the two in the first place... Come clean, did you actually read my post? No lying.
:beckmoji:

Strength Tarot Card

Killer Finale

Close Up

Luffy #1

Luffy #2

Zoro

Great theory, and to make it even more believable you can connect the reaper with Zoro by the aura that is behind the reaper. That same aura was used in 2 different instances relate to Zoro, have a look to this thread:
https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/forum/threads/same-aura-zoro-death-cursed-blade.21581/#post-2405631

How is that the case when the tower tarot card was reflecting kid and laws confrontation with big mom and the death tarot was a attack boost for Hawkin's strawmen!? The strength tarot is literally the only one that can be attributed to both Luffy and Zoro for reasons stated already, yet this is somehow a bigger stretch than if I was comparing them with tarot cards that had little to nothing to do with the two in the first place... Come clean, did you actually read my post? No lying.
:beckmoji:
The tower card was about Hawkins that losing.
He even said this fight.

Let's Say it was about Law and Kid at least hawkins and Killer were related to those fights
Whereas Zoro and Luffy have nothing to do with it

I read, you probably have the idea of Zoro going to the Rooftop again. The issue is that you need to stretch to link those cards to this Idea
You also didn't take into account evidence which make this unlikely