• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mashiro Blue

𝓦𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝓾𝓹𝓸𝓷 𝓪 𝓼𝓱𝓸𝓸𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓻 ✰
you realize you can just hit the report button lol
You use that here?

Back in NF we didn't really check the reports lol

Yearly Anime Awards would be dope.

We can use Crunchyroll formats (best voice actor, best animation, best directors, etc.)
I can make the thread during the weekend. I have an idea on how to nominate for each category.

I wanted to have a concrete podium for each contest so let's do a quick runner up poll for Winter 2023 and Year 2022 to decide 2nd and 3rd Place.

Poll is up. You have 3 votes, 1 for the Year 2022 nominees and 2 for the Winter 2023 nominees. I'll refrain from voting unless if it's to break a tie.

Mashiro Blue

I found something interesting about Oshi no Ko's name

The Complicated Wordplay of "[Oshi no Ko]"'s Title that got Lost in Translation

You've likely heard that there's more to Oshi no Ko's title that meets the eye, and may have seen others breaking it down already as well, but I wanted to take the opportunity to go as in depth about it as possible because of how many layers this one title hides that all unavoidably get lost in translation:
(This breakdown is spoiler free aside the basic idol's children premise)

THE FIRST LAYER

"[Oshi no Ko]" is composed by three parts:
Oshi (推し) = the verb "to push". However, in idol slang, it refers to your favorite idol within a group. The mental image of it is that she's the one you're helping "push forward" towards stardom, so as the one pushing her, she is your "oshi", the girl you wanna push for. You may have heard the term in other anime, V-tubing, or idol culture, but it basically refers to your favorite girl in a group of idols.
No (の) = Japanese possessive particle.
Ko (子) = means "kid/s". It usually refers to young children, however, depending on the context, it can also refer to a girl of young age (like a teenager) rather than just a child or group of children.

Thus in this context, the "oshi" would be Ai, since she is Goro's oshi since the start of the episode, the girl that he's rooting for and pushing for. Which would make the title "oshi no ko" translate to "The Young Girl that is my Oshi". However, since "ko" can mean either a young girl or children, the double entendre is that the title refers not just to Ai herself, but also to her children, as you could translate it as "Children of My Oshi". So the title refers to both Ai and Aqua and Ruby at the same time to drive the parallel there exists between the two. This was confirmed by the author Akasaka Aka in a Tsutaya interview.

THE SECOND LAYER

However this goes deeper, as "Oshi" sounds incredibly similar to the word "Hoshi", which is the Japanese word for "star". And this is no coincidence or stretch, because Ai's family name is "Hoshino". It's a common Japanese surname composed by the kanji for "star" and "field" (thus "starfield", space itself dotted with stars), but the pun here is in the fact that "no" can be seen as a phonetical stand in for the possessive particle (の). Thus her name becomes "Hoshi-no Ai", or "Ai of the Stars". And "(H)Oshi no Ko" becomes "The Star Girl", or "The Children of a Star". This is symbolized in how Ai's eyes are like space with a bright star shining in the middle of them, with Aqua and Ruby inheriting a star in their right and left eyes. Thus some translations have tried to localize it as "My Star", or "My Star's Children" to try and maintain the wordplay.

THE THIRD LAYER

But we're not done yet, because there is one final layer to this. Ai's own name, "Ai", is commonly associated with the word "ai" (愛), which means "love", which is a central theme in Ai's storyline. But her name isn't written in kanji, but rather in katakana, which makes it sound more like a foreign word. And this is because "Ai" sounds like the English word "Eye", which makes the wordplay come into full circle. Because "Hoshino Ai" thus translates as "Star Eyes". And this is the story of a girl who shined as brightly as the stars in her eyes, as well as the shine of her children, who would go on, of course, to become "stars" of their own in the showbiz industry.

As a final thing, Akasaka Aka commented in his interview that he has a reason why the title is stylized as 『【推しの子】』("[Oshi no Ko]") with brackets, one that will become clear in due time.

You've likely heard that there's more to Oshi no Ko's title that meets the eye, and may have seen others breaking it down already as well, but I wanted to take the opportunity to go as in depth about it as possible because of how many layers this one title hides that all unavoidably get lost in translation:

THE FIRST LAYER

Oshi (推し) = the verb "to push". However, in idol slang, it refers to your favorite idol within a group. The mental image of it is that she's the one you're helping "push forward" towards stardom, so as the one pushing her, she is your "oshi", the girl you wanna push for. You may have heard the term in other anime, V-tubing, or idol culture, but it basically refers to your favorite girl in a group of idols.
Ko (子) = means "kid/s". It usually refers to young children, however, depending on the context, it can also refer to a girl of young age (like a teenager) rather than just a child or group of children.

Thus in this context, the "oshi" would be Ai, since she is Goro's oshi since the start of the episode, the girl that he's rooting for and pushing for. Which would make the title "oshi no ko" translate to "The Young Girl that is my Oshi". However, since "ko" can mean either a young girl or children, the double entendre is that the title refers not just to Ai herself, but also to her children, as you could translate it as "Children of My Oshi". So the title refers to both Ai and Aqua and Ruby at the same time to drive the parallel there exists between the two. This was confirmed by the author Akasaka Aka in a Tsutaya interview.

THE SECOND LAYER

However this goes deeper, as "Oshi" sounds incredibly similar to the word "Hoshi", which is the Japanese word for "star". And this is no coincidence or stretch, because Ai's family name is "Hoshino". It's a common Japanese surname composed by the kanji for "star" and "field" (thus "starfield", space itself dotted with stars), but the pun here is in the fact that "no" can be seen as a phonetical stand in for the possessive particle (の). Thus her name becomes "Hoshi-no Ai", or "Ai of the Stars". And "(H)Oshi no Ko" becomes "The Star Girl", or "The Children of a Star". This is symbolized in how Ai's eyes are like space with a bright star shining in the middle of them, with Aqua and Ruby inheriting a star in their right and left eyes. Thus some translations have tried to localize it as "My Star", or "My Star's Children" to try and maintain the wordplay.

THE THIRD LAYER

But we're not done yet, because there is one final layer to this. Ai's own name, "Ai", is commonly associated with the word "ai" (愛), which means "love", which is a central theme in Ai's storyline. But her name isn't written in kanji, but rather in katakana, which makes it sound more like a foreign word. And this is because "Ai" sounds like the English word "Eye", which makes the wordplay come into full circle. Because "Hoshino Ai" thus translates as "Star Eyes". And this is the story of a girl who shined as brightly as the stars in her eyes, as well as the shine of her children, who would go on, of course, to become "stars" of their own in the showbiz industry.

As a final thing, Akasaka Aka commented in his interview that he has a reason why the title is stylized as 『【推しの子】』("[Oshi no Ko]") with brackets, one that will become clear in due time.
Peak fiction. Goated author.

THE FIRST LAYER

THE SECOND LAYER

THE THIRD LAYER

i am stealing this :milaugh:

very good read

Mashiro Blue

We finally got a concrete podium for the year and season

The results are as follow

Coming up at 2nd place as the best female character of 2022 year is

Power from Chainsaw Man with 5 votes

3rd place for the 2022 year goes to

Yor Forger from Spy x Family with 3 votes

As for Winter 2023 the 2nd Place goes to

Carol from Tomo-Chan is a Girl with 4 votes

Now the 3rd place was going to be a tie between Mahiru Shiina and Aizawa Akemi with 2 votes each but I casted my vote at the last minute to untie this knot

As such the 3rd place goes to

Mahiru Shiina from The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten with 3 votes

Thank you for participating everyone

We'll have a short break of a few minutes and we'll be back shortly

Mashiro Blue

Best Female Character - Year 2021

Alright let's go for the best female character of 2021.

This will be the same as the year 2022. Choose 4 characters from the 2021 anime (TV or Movie) and after that we'll have 7 votes to choose the best female character.

Here is the list where you can swap and see each of the seasonal anime in 2021:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2021/winter

If I may, I'll start by choosing and submiting the following characters:

Nino Nakano - The Quintessential Quintuplets

Rem Emilia - Re:Zero

Eris Boreas Greyrat - Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Kyouku Hori - Horimiya

Last edited:

Mashiro Blue

1. Yotsuba Nakano from The Quintessential Quintuplets.

2. Roxy Migurdia from Mushoku Tensei.

3. Vladilena Milizé from 86.

4. Komi Shouko from Komi-san.

You're down bad for crossing out Rem like that.:suresure:
Nice list.

Yeah I wanted to submit Rem but it would be out of place xd

Still Emilia is a S-Tier waifu nonetheless.