I think one of the most under appreciated things about Kuzan is the use of non-linear story telling with his character.

We meet him in the middle of his character arc and then go back to beginning in the O’Hara flashback with him letting Robin live to test the government’s dogma.

And now we see him with Teach and once again, we are missing another part of his arc (his current motivation).

It’s actually wild how much character work Oda has done with him.
Honestly I think his motivation is simply to be free to do what he wants when he wants.

As a marine he was forced to attack an innocent island and hurt his friend. And in the end of the day, the world government chose a psychopath to lead the marines where Kuzan knew he’d have to do more things that go against his justice.

As a BBP he can be a freelance hero of justice and go anywhere and do anything he wants.

I really do wonder what Kuzan’s goal is.

Does he just want to reach Laughtale and learn the truth of the government?

Does he want to take down the government?

It must be something anti world government because the point of letting Robin escape and grow up was to see if the government was actually correct in its dogma and I think we can infer the outcome.
I think its two things mixed: he is trying to discover what is the right way. In enies lobby he ask to robin if one day she would be able to show the truth to him, he is still a little confused about that
But I believe he has a secret goal and he thinks that his alliance with teach is the only way to achieve the goal, even if he has to make evil action to achieve

He is complex