General & Others Do you think the story will get better if Oda doesn't treat Sanji like a hypetool anymore?

Will the story get better if Sanji wasn't a hypetool?

• Yes

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
It's not surprising to say that Post-Timeskip is inferior to Pre-Timeskip due to how Oda is handling Sanji's character.

Pre-TS we got some of the greatest arcs featuring Mr. Prince in Alabasta and The Hunter in Enies Lobby (Marineford doesn't count cuz Sanji is not even there and MF arc is overrated anyway).

Now? People consider Fishman Island to be one, if not the worst Post-TS arc due to Sanji's nosebleed. Most people don't even put Punk Hazard in their top 10 arcs and the arc happens to have Sanji breaking his leg against Vergo. Same for Dressrosa.

People actually like Zou though. And Sanji happens to not get hypetooled in that arc. But getting kidnapped by Bege is still embarrassing though.

Then you got Whole Cake Island arc and Sanji of course didn't do shit which disappoints a lot of people. And a lot of people hated the arc.

Wano is mixed reviews, some liked it, some doesn't. I think majority hates Wano though. And of course Sanji got hypetooled in Wano by Black Maria but Sanji defeated Queen in the end so that's okay I guess.

Egghead starts off good but then pacing issues and skipped contents happens. And people don't seem to enjoy Egghead anymore and just want this arc to be over ASAP. And guess what? Sanji got stare diffed by Saturn cuz why not.

I think what makes Oda an inferior writer now compared to his pre-TS self is how he's using Sanji. It's called "The Worf Effect" where a strong existing character gets defeated by stronger established character just to hype them up (villains applied to this the most). Examples would be Chad from Bleach, Yamcha and Vegeta from Dragon Ball, etc.

Oda is abusing The Worf Effect too much and it renders his ability as a writer. That's why he's not as good as a writer like he used to be. Dragon Ball at the beginning used to be good but then Vegeta keeps getting destroyed by opponents left and right and DB story started going downhill. One Piece is no exception.

So what do you guys think? Do you think the story will get better if Oda doesn't use Sanji as a hypetool anymore?

Would the story be better if Sanji never got hit by the strongest characters in the story?; I don't believe so. If we remove all context from these moments then I guess he looks bad?, but why would we do that?. This complaint can only be from a pure power scaler who has no regards for any nuance, I'm not saying that's what you are but just speaking generally.

Would the story be better if Sanji never got hit by the strongest characters in the story?; I don't believe so. If we remove all context from these moments then I guess he looks bad?, but why would we do that?. This complaint can only be from a pure power scaler who has no regards for any nuance, I'm not saying that's what you are but just speaking generally.
Ehhh consistently shitty treatment of a fan favorite can definitely ruin the sense of enjoyment in a BATTLE manga.

It's kinda funny how people act like one piece is some deep psychological thriller adventure.

It's a battle shonen. And the fans want their favorites to do good. Sanji has not done good for the majority of the time skip. 1+1=2

Ehhh consistently shitty treatment of a fan favorite can definitely ruin the sense of enjoyment in a BATTLE manga.

It's kinda funny how people act like one piece is some deep psychological thriller adventure.

It's a battle shonen. And the fans want their favorites to do good. Sanji has not done good for the majority of the time skip. 1+1=2
What's your definition of doing good?. He's bested a 1.32 billion commander in 1 on 1 combat, bullied a Seraphim, deflected an attack from a Gorosei, shown some of the best speed and durability feats from any non top tier and shocked an Admiral whose known for his poker face. There is more to looking good than just defeating opponents. I'd rather Sanji get more character and plot relevancy/focus while getting the occasional victory against top class enemies when the time comes. Which he's always done.

C

Cruxroux

Hypetooled because he was never created as a power house (I'm just talking about the top cream layer of the list).

Pre-time skip every SH used to get a fight , which diminished by a lot of margin by time we came to Wano.

Nobody said , Nami , Sanji or franky got hypetooled , but Sanji got Hypetooled? Why?

Oda made up for fans by giving him the best character development and arc only to him.
In terms character writing he is probably the best with complex Nature of his..... luffy is dumb , zoro is cool , nami is beautiful. That's it. Nothing much explored at all.

No.2 Barely made out as a powerhouse in the series.
Xebec / WB
Roger / Ray
Luffy / Zoro
WB / Marco
Shanks / Benn
Kaidou / King

Who cares about Shiki , Gaban , Sanji , Jozu , Lucky Roo , Queen. They hold no value power scaling wise in front of real top tiers.
Only a few make name for themselves.

Sanji isn't a power scaling character, His ultimate goal is All blue which nearly has nothing to do Fighting skills rather cooking skills.

Don't come at me with Sanji still fighting No.3 or No.4 of the crew , which is fine , Sanji was stronger than rest of the crew bar Zoro and luffy and slowly oda will cast him and make him run in the background which is already happening.

It's not surprising to say that Post-Timeskip is inferior to Pre-Timeskip due to how Oda is handling Sanji's character.
You must be absolutely OBLIVIOUS to what makes Sanji a great character to say such BS.

Post time skip literally gave an entire AMAZING arc focused around the growth of Sanji as a character. How can people still read One Piece and still believe that it did not happened ?

Once again, I need to share those videos - explaining why Sanji development has been AMAZING - in front of such ignorance:

Last edited:
What's your definition of doing good?. He's bested a 1.32 billion commander in 1 on 1 combat, bullied a Seraphim, deflected an attack from a Gorosei, shown some of the best speed and durability feats from any non top tier and shocked an Admiral whose known for his poker face. There is more to looking good than just defeating opponents. I'd rather Sanji get more character and plot relevancy/focus while getting the occasional victory against top class enemies when the time comes. Which he's always done.
Notice I said majority
Post automatically merged:

Hypetooled because he was never created as a power house (I'm just talking about the top cream layer of the list).

Pre-time skip every SH used to get a fight , which diminished by a lot of margin by time we came to Wano.

Nobody said , Nami , Sanji or franky got hypetooled , but Sanji got Hypetooled? Why?

Oda made up for fans by giving him the best character development and arc only to him.
In terms character writing he is probably the best with complex Nature of his..... luffy is dumb , zoro is cool , nami is beautiful. That's it. Nothing much explored at all.

No.2 Barely made out as a powerhouse in the series.
Xebec / WB
Roger / Ray
Luffy / Zoro
WB / Marco
Shanks / Benn
Kaidou / King

Who cares about Shiki , Gaban , Sanji , Jozu , Lucky Roo , Queen. They hold no value power scaling wise in front of real top tiers.
Only a few make name for themselves.

Sanji isn't a power scaling character, His ultimate goal is All blue which nearly has nothing to do Fighting skills rather cooking skills.

Don't come at me with Sanji still fighting No.3 or No.4 of the crew , which is fine , Sanji was stronger than rest of the crew bar Zoro and luffy and slowly oda will cast him and make him run in the background which is already happening.
Stop spouting your headcanon as if it were fact. You sound like a clown🤡

None of what you said is true and I suggest you reread little garden and touch up on your basic reading comprehension skills.

While you're at it I also suggest you reread ennies lobby and wano and alabasta and long ring long Island and arlong park and of course the baratie where sanji states that he straight up is a fighter

Just a suggestion. Don't speak on sanji when you're an actual hater drowning in delusion

Pre-TS we got some of the greatest arcs featuring Mr. Prince in Alabasta and The Hunter in Enies Lobby (Marineford doesn't count cuz Sanji is not even there and MF arc is overrated anyway).

Now? People consider Fishman Island to be one, if not the worst Post-TS arc due to Sanji's nosebleed. Most people don't even put Punk Hazard in their top 10 arcs and the arc happens to have Sanji breaking his leg against Vergo. Same for Dressrosa.

People actually like Zou though. And Sanji happens to not get hypetooled in that arc. But getting kidnapped by Bege is still embarrassing though.

Then you got Whole Cake Island arc and Sanji of course didn't do shit which disappoints a lot of people. And a lot of people hated the arc.

Wano is mixed reviews, some liked it, some doesn't. I think majority hates Wano though. And of course Sanji got hypetooled in Wano by Black Maria but Sanji defeated Queen in the end so that's okay I guess.

Egghead starts off good but then pacing issues and skipped contents happens. And people don't seem to enjoy Egghead anymore and just want this arc to be over ASAP. And guess what? Sanji got stare diffed by Saturn cuz why not.

I think what makes Oda an inferior writer now compared to his pre-TS self is how he's using Sanji. It's called "The Worf Effect" where a strong existing character gets defeated by stronger established character just to hype them up (villains applied to this the most). Examples would be Chad from Bleach, Yamcha and Vegeta from Dragon Ball, etc.

Oda is abusing The Worf Effect too much and it renders his ability as a writer. That's why he's not as good as a writer like he used to be. Dragon Ball at the beginning used to be good but then Vegeta keeps getting destroyed by opponents left and right and DB story started going downhill. One Piece is no exception.

So what do you guys think? Do you think the story will get better if Oda doesn't use Sanji as a hypetool anymore?
For you it will definitely be better

C

Cruxroux

Stop spouting your headcanon as if it were fact. You sound like a clown🤡

None of what you said is true and I suggest you reread little garden and touch up on your basic reading comprehension skills.

While you're at it I also suggest you reread ennies lobby and wano and alabasta and long ring long Island and arlong park and of course the baratie where sanji states that he straight up is a fighter

Just a suggestion. Don't speak on sanji when you're an actual hater drowning in delusion
Coping as usual.
No matter how hard you try , Sanji designation is a Cook in ship. But he has fighting abilities but so does all the SHP , he's simply stronger than them bar (Zoro and luffy).

Haki/DF awakening been a major power up since post time skip started.

Where luffy and zoro kept on getting stronger , Sanji had no Haki development or Haki feat under his belt. He's like average Haki user with Two very common Haki's , He's stronger than average.

His power up feels more Nami which is suddenly getting hands on something strong like Zeus and Genes activation in sanji case.... bro didn't train for this lol.

Sanji hasn’t been hypetooled at all in Egghead besides the Saturn thing which still hasn’t been explained yet. He’s the most impressive SH outside of Luffy this arc tbh. If anyone else toyed with a Seraphim onscreen you’d hear about it forever

It is an overarching issue of characters aside from Luffy in general, during post TS.

Zoro doesn't get to shine much nowadays either. He doesn't he hypetooled but still not enough combat.
Compared to pre TS, Zoro now is just this dude that randomly pops up once a while and says some one liners, SMH

What has Brook and Ussop even done post TS? Just run around for the most part.
Frankly was a dud until this arc too, where he's getting to shine a bit after A LONG time.
What is Namis role now? IDK, not much of exploration and sailing where her primary role is highlighted. Last time she had some decent role was in WCI

He's just not a likeable character... Spiteful, jealous, sexually harassing, unsympathetic, annoying.

Inb4 muhh he fed a rat in the flashback. Look at 99% of all his other panels.

The only fans he has are probably high-school bully victims and losers who hate stoic and badass people like zoro.

Another reason is highly unlikely.
Zoro is shallow. He was made for dumb people who can only comprehend one-dimensional characters. Cool? Yeah, but shallow.