Questions & Mysteries Why is Zoro much more relevant than Luffy to the fandom?

Its not me saying that Zoro is a more relevant character in the story but rather the reaction he entices.
In this very thread if you want to get attention and generate massive amount of replies just mention Zoro in positive, negative or neutral, which all three of these terms are subjective in this context.

And its not just limited to thread that has Zoro's name in it, that isn't even necessary, instead you talk about Mihawk, talk about Ryuma, swordsmanship in general and it wound entice massive reaction.

Its not just limited to this forum, on Youtube comments, on twitter, facebook groups, topics linked to Luffy would have few responses and people would get over it but with Zoro people go ape shit.

Sup with that?

Over exaggeration on the part of Zoro fans. He's got good feats, but the overblown exaggeration tends to create dislike.
He has exceptionally good feats and people just appreciate that.
What is wrong with people getting excited over a character who is literally designed to get people excited or admire? Like if you try to look at Zoro's character, the way Oda writes him, he is supposed to represent that perfect dude to the point where author comes out and said, "If Zoro didn't have getting lost, he would be perfect and not relatable"
Post automatically merged:

The fuck is up with making than ugly ass diddler looking dude an emoji?

He has exceptionally good feats and people just appreciate that.
What is wrong with people getting excited over a character who is literally designed to get people excited or admire? Like if you try to look at Zoro's character, the way Oda writes him, he is supposed to represent that perfect dude to the point where author comes out and said, "If Zoro didn't have getting lost, he would be perfect and not relatable"

The fuck is up with making than ugly ass diddler looking dude an emoji?
That's not an argument but just a bias view of him. Zoro was a much better written character pre time skip than post. He had his flaws and he wasn't a one dimensional one note of a character. Some like this, some don't.

That's not an argument but just a bias view of him. Zoro was a much better written character pre time skip than post. He had his flaws and he wasn't a one dimensional one note of a character. Some like this, some don't.
Biased view? I am just telling you what Oda said in SBS lol

How is he a one dimensional character post TS? How is any other One Piece character any different?
A lot of people like it though, Zoro generally is a universally loved character with just vocal minority talking shit.

Biased view? I am just telling you what Oda said in SBS lol

How is he a one dimensional character post TS? How is any other One Piece character any different?
A lot of people like it though, Zoro generally is a universally loved character with just vocal minority talking shit.
Zoro isnt the only one whose shit written post time skip, nearly all the characters are. Luffy too.
Minority or not they can Express their views. To try to silence them is tyrany. If you cant try to understand the other side then nothing changes.

Zoro isnt the only one whose shit written post time skip, nearly all the characters are. Luffy too.
Minority or not they can Express their views. To try to silence them is tyrany. If you cant try to understand the other side then nothing changes.
Who is tryna silence them lmao? idgaf if you hate Zoro, I'd prolly be more concerned if you say Zoro is weak and use shitty argument to support that.

But if you think Zoro is a shit character, that's your prerogative lol

I think that because Oda depicts Zoro consistently as a badass, many fans rate him much higher than he is truly worth. He is a very popular character and hence there's also a good amount of favoritism revolved around discussions with him.

For the most part, ranking zoro high isn't a problem for me. I don't even care if people say Zoro is close in strength to Luffy.

It only bothers me when people headcanon zoro to effectively be the main character. For as great as zoro is, there is one character who consistently gets better portrayal than him. That is luffy and while zoro might come close to luffy in some aspects, we shouldn't act as if Zoro is Luffy.

Who is tryna silence them lmao? idgaf if you hate Zoro, I'd prolly be more concerned if you say Zoro is weak and use shitty argument to support that.

But if you think Zoro is a shit character, that's your prerogative lol
What makes you like Zoro? Because he's badass? uses swords?

Zoro has been weak. He was weak since his introduction. Just like Luffy. They are also strong. But not strong enough.

You say don't use a shitty argument but right back at you, Don't just assume everything said is a shitty argument just because you disagree with it.

I think Luffy is stronger than zoro. He was stronger than zoro and he always will be stronger than zoro.

While Zoro was portrayed to be close in strength to luffy, they never had an all out fight, so you can't say they are outright equals. Even in whiskey peak, I think Luffy would have won that fight. And yes, I know that the databooks say they are equals, however the databooks are supposed to be taken with a grain of salt.

When they say they are equal, what they mean is that for the most part, they are equal. However, overall, Luffy is stronger. He is the main character and therefore has to be stronger. He is also Zoro's captain.

What makes you like Zoro? Because he's badass? uses swords?
Yeah generally I like him because of his badassary, but also because of his moral compass which was more apparent pre TS.

Zoro would generally do the right thing such as when Chopper was bitching and moaning about Foxy, and no other straw hat had an answer, Zoro in a most realistic way made him realize what the right thing to do is and the situation they are in and it was better than Chopper being sad and other straw hats being sad wit him.

Another instance of him showing high moral compass is against Kuma where he was presented with an ethical and moral dilemma as he had a grand ambition and a promise for which he has lived most of his life to uphold and he had saving the life of his captain and in turn the life of his crew and in that situation he picked the choice which in my opinion is right choice. As I would personally believe promises to dead loved ones while important should never take precedence of what matters in the present.

There is also his philosophy of life where he is that dude who despite all adversity keeps on going, as we saw against Mihawk. The things he would generally say such as "death over giving up and accepting defeat defeat because if I accept defeats, all the promises, all my resolve over life would mean nothing" are things that make him him easily likable.

Like yeah Zoro's cool photo moments are some of the greatest moments in One Piece, but his character moments are even better. Like other straw hats or One Piece characters in general are no shown in situation where you get to see them display exceptional moral compass. We don't even see characters presented with ethical dilemmas in One Piece the way we saw in TB with Zoro.

I think Luffy is stronger than zoro. He was stronger than zoro and he always will be stronger than zoro.
I think they were always equal and always will be.
When something is somewhat supported in manga and out right stated in data books, there is no reason to deny that.

If you truly wanna go stat for stat, I guarantee you, Zoro would come out winner in Whiskey Peak, Skypea, Thriller Bark and even Alabasta.
If you don't believe we can have a 1v1 debate, @TheAncientCenturion can organize it.

The reason why I put them equals in those arcs is same reason why I put Zoro equal to Luffy in current arc. Due to their unique relationship like no other and their inner dynamics, Luffy and Zoro HAVE to be equals.

Zoro being equal to Luffy makes Zoro an exceptional subordinate that makes Luffy an exceptional captain. Being close ain't gonna cut it because Benn Beckman and Rayleigh may as well have been close to their captains.

both popularity polls in the west and japan show luffy is actually loved more with zoro being second. safe to say you are just around a lot of vocal zoro fans
Didn't really say Zoro has more fans, rather Zoro entices more reaction.
Its fans and haters

I think they were always equal and always will be.
When something is somewhat supported in manga and out right stated in data books, there is no reason to deny that.

If you truly wanna go stat for stat, I guarantee you, Zoro would come out winner in Whiskey Peak, Skypea, Thriller Bark and even Alabasta.
If you don't believe we can have a 1v1 debate, @TheAncientCenturion can organize it.

The reason why I put them equals in those arcs is same reason why I put Zoro equal to Luffy in current arc. Due to their unique relationship like no other and their inner dynamics, Luffy and Zoro HAVE to be equals.

Zoro being equal to Luffy makes Zoro an exceptional subordinate that makes Luffy an exceptional captain. Being close ain't gonna cut it because Benn Beckman and Rayleigh may as well have been close to their captains.

Didn't really say Zoro has more fans, rather Zoro entices more reaction.
Its fans and haters
he has more fans and haters like sanji because his fandom is vocal

That is because strangely only Zoro has majority of vocal fans who exaggerates it as legendary feet even if he farts. Typical cultist behavior. It is like a religion cultists. So whenever something shit or even negligible bad plot feat of Zoro receives large amount of flak.
Does it really matter if they praise his feats though?
Although I have noticed majority of fans thinks Zoro has great feats, so is it vocal majority? Majority is generally vocal you know unless its silent, because its majority so if majority agrees with something, it would naturally be vocal.