General & Others “Onorei” does not mean “sense of self”. Official mistranslation issue

#1
I’ve complained recently about how the Mihawk flashback has a problem in that it doesn’t really explain why Zoro suddenly has his CoC mastered from just remembering Mihawk telling him “CoC is your sense of Self”

Turns out my confusion was warranted, the Japanese word used “onorei” doesn’t actually directly translate to “sense of self”. It’s more like “your projection of your sense of self”.

Mihawk is saying you must have this unchanging sense of who you are AND you must be capable of projecting it to the world no matter the consequences.

Which makes WAY MORE sense. Why would Zoro remembering to more of less just self-recognize just allow him to know how CoC works. The trick is the second part. You have to be able to maintain this self-recognition as you project it outward into the world no matter the resistance of the world to it.

This is unfortunately a nuance in the language translation that cannot be resolved without either the Official translator or the Manga scan translators adding an extra dialogue bubble to use extra words to fully explain one word “onorei”
 
#6
You're thinking too much over these believe in yourself stuff aimed at 15 year olds.
Who cares how He unlocked it, what matters more is how that energy behaves & it's lore origin.
Oda has Had Mihawk AND ONLY Mihawk use this wording specifically At Zoro 3 separate times

https://x.com/DawnStussy/status/2104245067145994285?s=20

https://x.com/DawnStussy/status/2104252488497181140?s=20

in Japanese, Oda wants his 15 year old readers to know that Mihawk is the only one who uses this term in this way and he is always using it when talking to Zoro about strength
 
#7
Oda has Had Mihawk AND ONLY Mihawk use this wording specifically At Zoro 3 separate times

https://x.com/DawnStussy/status/2104245067145994285?s=20

https://x.com/DawnStussy/status/2104252488497181140?s=20

in Japanese, Oda wants his 15 year old readers to know that Mihawk is the only one who uses this term in this way and he is always using it when talking to Zoro about strength
I'm not saying it means nothing, I'm telling you to focus on it's lore significance & how it functions, rather than how these fictional characters feel inside
 
#8
I'm not saying it means nothing, I'm telling you to focus on it's lore significance & how it functions, rather than how these fictional characters feel inside
Well haki is about how you feel inside so there’s nothing I can do about that

anyway as this post says, I now have LESS of a problem with the “sense of self” shit now that’s clear it’s a mistranslation
 
#17
Yeah Zoro couldn't do it before else what's the point in the first place..
Ok then i will give you my position, i think Zoro did level up his CoC..
Good that you THINK that.

unfortunately I don’t care so much about peopleMs THOUGHTS

I prefer something happens ON PANEL in the manga.

If Zoro breaks Gram, you won’t have to tell me you THINK Zoro got a power boost. I will just take it as a fact since it happened on panel
 
#18
Good that you THINK that.

unfortunately I don’t care so much about peopleMs THOUGHTS

I prefer something happens ON PANEL in the manga.

If Zoro breaks Gram, you won’t have to tell me you THINK Zoro got a power boost. I will just take it as a fact since it happened on panel
Fair.. Doesn't seem like we going to have that confirmation in this chapter..
 
#19
Good that you THINK that.

unfortunately I don’t care so much about peopleMs THOUGHTS

I prefer something happens ON PANEL in the manga.

If Zoro breaks Gram, you won’t have to tell me you THINK Zoro got a power boost. I will just take it as a fact since it happened on panel
@Rootbeer is playing you here. He has an idea he wants to share later about how what happened with Zoro vs Sommers is different from Zoro vs King.

I am telling you now Rootbeer your idea won't work. Cook better.
 
Top