Powers & Abilities Will the Raid Suit be permanent or will it force Sanji to want to improve?

So while thinking about the different parallels that WCI/Wano has to past arcs such as Water 7/Enies Lobby, and Thriller Bark, there was one parallel in particular that was right in front of our faces, yet easily missed because the parallel itself involves two different characters. At the beginning of Water 7 the Going Merry was deemed unsavable, and because of this, it caused a huge rift between Luffy and Usopp. I'm not going to go into much detail because at this point everyone pretty much knows how this went. Luffy and Usopp fight, Usopp leaves the crew of his own accord, only to be brought back at the end of the Water 7/Enies Lobby saga.

Now when you think about it, this is basically the same thing that happens between Luffy and Sanji on WCI, although the reasonings behind it were completely different. Sanji tried to leave the crew, but Luffy wouldn't allow it, and by the end of the arc they make up, and Sanji ends up back with the Straw Hats. The one thing we didn't realize however, is that Sanji is doing something as we speak that parallels what Usopp did during Water 7/Enies, although both for different reasons. They both dawned a disguise, that for all in tents and purposes, made them stronger.

Now I know what you're thinking, "How did Usopp becoming Sogeking, make him stronger." Well that's the thing, Sogeking didn't make Usopp stronger in the traditional sense, but rather when wearing the Mask, he became braver, which essentially allowed him to fight at full capacity, much like he did when fighting against Luffy when the Going Merry was on the line. Ever since Water 7/EL however, Sogeking has no longer made an appearance in the series. I believe Sogeking was basically Oda's way of showing us a glimpse of the future to what Usopp will become when he finally achieves his dream of being a brave Warrior of the Sea.

So my question here, is, is it possible that Oda is doing something like this for Sanji? Could the raid suit have been given to Sanji in order for him to realize where his shortcomings in combat lie? As it stands at the moment, Sanji is wearing the raid suit because it's the only option for him at this moment. But could Oda actually be using this as a learning experience for Sanji, to make him want to improve so he doesn't have to wear the raid suit in the future? Perhaps showing us a glimpse of what Sanji will become, later down the line? I'm 50/50 on it at the moment, but I do think the parallel between Sogeking and O-Sobamask is pretty interesting. How far Oda plans to take it, remains to be seen.

I hope it was given to him for him to realize he needs to improve his CoA abilities
That's pretty much what I feel like Oda is trying to play at here. Years ago (Back on OJ) I made a thread about Zoro and Sanji improving on the Haki they don't specialize in. In Zoro's case it was CoO, and in Sanji case it was CoA. I made the prediction that, that is why Zoro keeps his eye closed, as it's a means for him to improve his CoO. I thought Sanji would have been doing the same with CoA, but that doesn't seem to be the case. But with this new development of the Raid Suit, and Sanji commenting on it's durability a few times now, it could be an indicator that he might actually buckle down and want to improve his CoA, just so he doesn't have to wear the suit.

I think it's permanent. Sanji didn't get the suit because he was too weak without it, that was never the point of this power up and the subplot surrounding it. Don't get me wrong, he does need it to deal with great threats like Yonko Commanders, obviously. But it's just a regular power up, not something Sanji relies on out of desperation like Hody Jones with his pills. That's why I don't see any reason for Sanji to dump the RS on the prextext that he needs to get stronger on his own (how would the RS prevent him from doing that anyway ? It just increases his base stats so the stronger he is in base, the more efficient the RS will be), Oda just thought it was a cool power up for Sanji.

Also, Sanji intended to ask Usopp and Franky to redesign it, which indicates he's not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon (and it's even more unlikely if the RS has yet to be modified).

Last edited:
So while thinking about the different parallels that WCI/Wano has to past arcs such as Water 7/Enies Lobby, and Thriller Bark, there was one parallel in particular that was right in front of our faces, yet easily missed because the parallel itself involves two different characters. At the beginning of Water 7 the Going Merry was deemed unsavable, and because of this, it caused a huge rift between Luffy and Usopp. I'm not going to go into much detail because at this point everyone pretty much knows how this went. Luffy and Usopp fight, Usopp leaves the crew of his own accord, only to be brought back at the end of the Water 7/Enies Lobby saga.

Now when you think about it, this is basically the same thing that happens between Luffy and Sanji on WCI, although the reasonings behind it were completely different. Sanji tried to leave the crew, but Luffy wouldn't allow it, and by the end of the arc they make up, and Sanji ends up back with the Straw Hats. The one thing we didn't realize however, is that Sanji is doing something as we speak that parallels what Usopp did during Water 7/Enies, although both for different reasons. They both dawned a disguise, that for all in tents and purposes, made them stronger.

Now I know what you're thinking, "How did Usopp becoming Sogeking, make him stronger." Well that's the thing, Sogeking didn't make Usopp stronger in the traditional sense, but rather when wearing the Mask, he became braver, which essentially allowed him to fight at full capacity, much like he did when fighting against Luffy when the Going Merry was on the line. Ever since Water 7/EL however, Sogeking has no longer made an appearance in the series. I believe Sogeking was basically Oda's way of showing us a glimpse of the future to what Usopp will become when he finally achieves his dream of being a brave Warrior of the Sea.

So my question here, is, is it possible that Oda is doing something like this for Sanji? Could the raid suit have been given to Sanji in order for him to realize where his shortcomings in combat lie? As it stands at the moment, Sanji is wearing the raid suit because it's the only option for him at this moment. But could Oda actually be using this as a learning experience for Sanji, to make him want to improve so he doesn't have to wear the raid suit in the future? Perhaps showing us a glimpse of what Sanji will become, later down the line? I'm 50/50 on it at the moment, but I do think the parallel between Sogeking and O-Sobamask is pretty interesting. How far Oda plans to take it, remains to be seen.
RS has only one thing to say:

I think he will drop it. Raid Suit should actually make him realize how much he lacks in terms of power compared to others.
RS design is also pretty lame imo.
If Oda plans to keep it in story then he should at least change its design.
He wont drop it Sanji is too weak without it
Without RS he couldnt even fight a flying six (Drake) with it he could go on against one (Page 1) unlike Luffy, Zoro or Jinbe
Sanji didnt got a massive power up the answer is easy he had a shitty master while Luffy and Zoro got two of the strongest characters in the entire series
Sanji got Iva who is at best Daifuku level or Sanji without Raid Suit he was too weak to be taken to Mary Geiose
So naturally the gap between him and the other three was too hight so he got the RS to close this gap

I don't see it that way, I mean Sanji didn't want to use it but nonetheless he did it 2swallowing his pride" and taking the help the man he hates the most gave him, all this so that he can his allies. This is a bit like Zoro swallowing his pride and asking Mihawk for training yet Zoro did that and become stronger as a warrior while Sanji had to eat this free powerup suit. I don't know if Oda is not seeing the shortcomings of making Sanji rest on the RS but I think he for sure does and maybe this is related to why JInbe is taking more panels than him, maybe he is equalling after WCI.

Anyway at this point it seems Sanji accepted the suit and is using it without not even grumbling anymore and also the suit gave him perks that let him save Momo (invisibility) that he can use only with the RS, not to mention how Oda costantly brags about the suit durability through Sanji. I hope he discards it and goes on with his strength alone but seriously I don't think this will be the case at this point.

At best it could be something like Zoro with Asura, a powerup he used just in extremely dire situations in Enies lobby and at the end of Sabaody and never again in the post time skip (but that is most likely because he had never had the need to go all out really). Or simply the RS for Sanji could be a huge boost to his durability and give the perk of invisibility but on the other side at least the attack power and speed are provided by Sanji himself and not some power up suit.