Character Discussion I feel like Kaido got the short end of the stick when it comes to the Yonko's despite all the hype and build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
First to make things clear, I don't hate Kaido and this is not a topic about Kaido's power level.

Just like the title says, I feel like Kaido got the short end of the stick when it comes to the Yonko's despite all the hype and build up. Oda has hyped up Kaido ever since Thriller Bark and then started to build up his character ever since Punk Hazard, then we get his introduction during the end of Dressrosa and it's one of the best character introductions of One Piece.

Then during the Zou arc, we find out that Kaido is in control of Wano so from there we knew he was going to the main antagonist of the Wano arc. After all the hype and build up for Kaido as one of the major villains post timeskip, we finally get to the Wano arc where Kaido is supposed to finally get his focus but instead he's barely focused.

Act 1 of Wano, Kaido goes to Kuri and defeats Luffy and then leaves. Act 2 of Wano Kaido is barely focused, and he's only focused towards the end when he fights with Big Mom and then becomes allies with her. Finally Act 3 of Wano and we get a bit more focus on Kaido but before Oda can flesh out his character we immediately get into a battle with him.

Kaido so far feels very underwhelming as a character and also really lackluster as a villain, instead of trying to flesh out his character Oda decided to barely focus on him and when Oda finally decided to focus on him he decided to focus on him fighting instead.

Kaido has been overshadowed by Orochi as a villain during Act 2 and even during the Oden flashback, in fact Kaido doesn't play any major role in the Oden flashback until the very end. Despite the hate on Orochi at least Oda decided to flesh out his character and even gave him more of a role as a villain than Kaido who is supposed to be the main villain himself.

Even though Wano is supposed to be Kaido's arc where he is the main antagonist, not only is he overshadowed by Orochi but he also has to share his arc with another Yonko.

Now let's take a look at the other Yonko's, Whitebeard as we know was one of the most hyped up Yonko's who was said to rival Roger and his portrayal during the Marineford arc is one of the best. Shanks has been hyped up since the beginning of the story, and stuff like him being a former member of the Roger Pirates and his mysterious connection to the Five Elders does him a really interesting character.

When it comes to Big Mom despite Oda trolling on her and despite not having the same hype and build up as the other Yonko's, Oda decided to have an entire arc focused on her character and even decided to have her play a major role in Wano as well. Unlike Kaido so far during Wano, Oda at least fleshed out Big Mom's character during the WCI arc.

As for Blackbeard I got nothing to say other than he is so far one of the best characters and villains in One Piece, and I believe Oda is planning to give both Blackbeard and Shanks major focus after the Wano arc.

But when it comes to Kaido he is again barely focused during the Wano arc, and instead of trying to take the time to flesh out his character Oda decided to start the battle with him. Characters like Orochi and Queen had more character focus and both of them played more of a role as a villain than Kaido throughout the Wano arc, even Big Mom got more focus than Kaido during Wano despite Wano being Kaido's arc.

Unlike Big Mom who was focused on two major arcs Whole Cake Island and Wano and there is still a slight chance she might play another role in a third major arc, Kaido on the other hand I don't expect him to play any major role after the Wano arc. For a character who is supposed to play such a major role during the Wano arc, it feels like he isn't.

So in conclusion despite all the hype and build hype for Kaido so far he feels very underwhelming, lackluster as a villain, and he is overshadowed by other characters like Orochi, Queen, and Big Mom.

As someone who likes Kaido, he is so far both disappointing and underwhelming as both a character and as a villain.

Tagging some random users.
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @BangMi @Buusatan94 @GreenEggsAHam @playa4321 @Zoro D Goat @LANJI CUCKSMOKE @TheAncientCenturion @Kejon

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Kaido is not really a villain. He is an amalgamation of random and generic villain traits who’s roll in the story is to elevate Luffy to Yonko level . He is not a villain, he is not a character, he’s not even a person really: he is just a sentient plot device.

Oda could’ve accomplished the same thing he is trying to accomplish with Kaido, by introducing this really big rock that no pirate has ever been able to lift, and then having Luffy lift the rock. Kaido does not have any focus or personality because he isn’t meant to be a real character, just a stepping stone for Luffy and nothing more. No other villain in One Piece could’ve been replaced in this manner, every other arc conflict was built around the motivations and character of its villain. For example, Crocodile’s plot to conquer Alabasta. Replace Crocodile with a heavy rock, and the entire conflict of Alabasta falls apart. The rock would not be able to construct such a delicate plan to conquer a WG affiliated Kingdom from the shadows. With Kaido, you can replace him with any generic lifeless strength-measuring device and the story to Wano does not change much.

Did Kaido get shafted? Absolutely. His character had a lot of potential back in 795 before Oda flushed it down the toilet, and it really is a shame because his introduction in a vacuum was awesome. But instead, Oda decided to make Wano about Oden and Orochi instead of Kaido.

Kaido is easily Oda’s worst villain and an F-Tier character. I do not think Oda has ever written a more generic, forgettable, and low quality character than Kaido. Half of his lines of dialogue are so pathetic that I almost vomit when I read them.

“These brats...so strong!!”

“I’m actually taking damage..this is fun!!”

“This brat injured me...how is this possible??!!”<-Kaido states after Luffy used literally the exact same Haki against him that the scabbards did (??)

“When you’re having fun, you smile!!”

Yeah I have nothing remotely good to say about Kaido. He is complete trash and is the central reason that OP has been an F-Tier manga lately.

Last edited:
Totally agree with you post.
First I see in BB also the best one piece villian and also Akainu have great potential.
Big mom as portrayal and character building is so far not bad too. As you post, Kaido in characterbuilding is so far disappointed. Getting outshined by Orochi is really sad.

What I dislike is that Kaido get showed as a usually arc Villian and I dislike it very much.
As example marvel did it very good. Build up over 10movies and show step for step Thanos until Thanos get his own movie. And not like usually where the villian lose, Thanos take the w,killing lot of characters and the hero take the tragic part. Like with Marineford, where everything lead for a disaster, Marvel did the same with Thanos but far better.

We had the same build up for Kaido,over 400 chapters and arcs alone for this important scene and it feel like we stuck in a another Dressrosa arc. No tension and no feeling. And the worst part Kaido Probably get defeated soon as the usually arc villians like Ceaser/Doffy... it feel like the whole build up was for nothing. The whole raid is so far not that great.

I hope it change soon but let be honest, at this point I don't see any big character building Kaido and that is disappointed. I expect a Thanos like show and not a Repeat of Doflamingo in DR.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Kaido's hype is built around his strenght.
That's his defining trait.
WB was a rival to Roger.
Shanks has his mysteries.
BB has a LOT going on for him.
Big Mom has her quirks, her twisted dream of forming a "perfect land".
Kaido is the strongest creature alive. That's it. His plan is generic worldwide domination through power tier.
Kaido and Wano in general would work way better if they were DBZ arcs, instead of One Piece arcs. :kayneshrug:

Lmfao would Kaido stans want their character to trade portrayals with Fat Meme? I don’t think so. Oda has shafted Meme far harder than Crydo of the 100 hostages if you’re keeping in mind that this is a series aimed at young boys and men who, by and large care more about fights and action than... whatever Meme’s fans think she has to offer.

Im surprised it has taken this long for this thread to be made tbh. Y’all should’ve dropped all your expectations in the trash and set em on fire when the so called 1v1 king was shown bitching out of a fight, getting his arse mollywhopped by a non black blade wielder and taking advantage of a distraction to cheap shot his opponent.

No thats big mom the one who was overshadowed by her own son even in the popularity poll people showed that she is the worst emperor and it is funny when people ask more from Kaido as if other villains like Doflamingo and Enel were different :luuh: they took over Dressrosa and Skypeia then they got defeated.
the thing is some people hated Kaido since his introduction because they thought their favourite character was the strongest :fujilaugh: I remember when they laughed at Kaido when the scabbards attacked him then they kept their mouth shut when he destroyed them

Last edited:
No thats big mom the one who was overshadowed by her own son even in the popularity poll people showed that she is the worst emperor and it is funny when people ask more from Kaido as if other villains like Doflamingo and Enel were different :luuh: they took over Dressrosa and Skypeia then they got defeated.
the thing is some people hated Kaido since his introduction because they thought their favourite character was the strongest :fujilaugh: I remember when they laughed at Kaido when the scabbards attacked him then they kept their mouth shut when he destroyed them
Lol of course Big Mom got overshadowed by her own, but at least that ended up happening during the second half of the WCI arc.

Deny all you want but so far Kaido was overshadowed throughout the Wano arc by both Orochi and Queen, yeah Big Mom is the least popular Yonko but do you really think Kaido is any better.
He's outranked by characters like Tama, Bepo, Woop Slap, Pell, and Koby.:milaugh:

And in Japan he's ranked 87 making him the second least popular Yonko over there.:doffytroll:

This topic wasn't meant for you or other Kaido fans to dislike his character so try not to get salty, also again this topic is not about Kaido's power level.

B

Ballel

Kaido is not really a villain. He is an amalgamation of random and generic villain traits who’s roll in the story is to elevate Luffy to Yonko level . He is not a villain, he is not a character, he’s not even a person really: he is just a sentient plot device.

Oda could’ve accomplished the same thing he is trying to accomplish with Kaido, by introducing this really big rock that no pirate has ever been able to lift, and then having Luffy lift the rock. Kaido does not have any focus or personality because he isn’t meant to be a real character, just a stepping stone for Luffy and nothing more. No other villain in One Piece could’ve been replaced in this manner, every other arc conflict was built around the motivations and character of its villain. For example, Crocodile’s plot to conquer Alabasta. Replace Crocodile with a heavy rock, and the entire conflict of Alabasta falls apart. The rock would not be able to construct such a delicate plan to conquer a WG affiliated Kingdom from the shadows. With Kaido, you can replace him with any generic lifeless strength-measuring device and the story to Wano does not change much.

Did Kaido get shafted? Absolutely. His character had a lot of potential back in 795 before Oda flushed it down the toilet, and it really is a shame because his introduction in a vacuum was awesome. But instead, Oda decided to make Wano about Oden and Orochi instead of Kaido.

Kaido is easily Oda’s worst villain and an F-Tier character. I do not think Oda has ever written a more generic, forgettable, and low quality character than Kaido. Half of his lines of dialogue are so pathetic that I almost vomit when I read them.

“This brat injured me...how is this possible??!!”<-Kaido states after Luffy used literally the exact same Haki against him that the scabbards did (??)

Yeah I have nothing remotely good to say about Kaido. He is complete trash and is the central reason that OP has been an F-Tier manga lately.
You're Not that much wrong tbh.
Part of the reason Oda cut his characterization short is most likely the lack of time and his desire to finish the series in the near future. i am sure that, had he spent more time fleshing out Kaido's personality a considerable amount of fans would have complained about the story being dragged.

Kaido doesn't really have a personality other than 'he is evil" 'he terrorizes a country' 'he's the strongest' and 'fight/war obsession' that is so stereotypical it couldn't get much more bland. No wonder he didn't score well in the recent popularity poll.
All that Kaido can do is fight and being the strongest. These 2 points are the only aspects that speak for Kaido, and for me, they are not enough to make me enjoy the character. Interested what you have to say about this @ODIAK D.TSEGNORTS

kaido is a good villain
:suresure:

He sounds so cliche with those quotes.:hihihi:

Lmfao would Kaido stans want their character to trade portrayals with Fat Meme? I don’t think so. Oda has shafted Meme far harder than Crydo of the 100 hostages if you’re keeping in mind that this is a series aimed at young boys and men who, by and large care more about fights and action than... whatever Meme’s fans think she has to offer.

Im surprised it has taken this long for this thread to be made tbh. Y’all should’ve dropped all your expectations in the trash and set em on fire when the so called 1v1 king was shown bitching out of a fight, getting his arse mollywhopped by a non black blade wielder and taking advantage of a distraction to cheap shot his opponent.
Lol saying shit like this when Roger, Whitebeard and Shanks literally exists shows your dumb bias. Oden was put on their level by Kaido himself who fought the three of them, whether you like Oden or not doesn't leave room for such a shitty opinion about black blades when the only user that has it was nowhere seem on Kaido's apex of fighters.

As for the post I completely agree with most of what you said. But there is something that is yet to come, Kaido's flashback he will probably get some character development when it happens and I can bet Yamato going to the roof will be one of the triggers for Kaido's flashback. If Oda fails to develop his character in any mean then I would completely agree with your thread.

B

Ballel

:suresure:

He sounds so cliche with those quotes.:hihihi:
It just sounds so uninspired. Anyone could have written that 'character'imo.
Post automatically merged:

As for the post I completely agree with most of what you said. But there is something that is yet to come, Kaido's flashback he will probably get some character development when it happens and I can bet Yamato going to the roof will be one of the triggers for Kaido's flashback. If Oda fails to develop his character in any mean then I would completely agree with your thread.
Not that Kaido also gets redeemed in the end. He most likely had a very sad past which explains everything and HAS to make the reader sympathise with him. Sike

Status
Not open for further replies.