Questions & Mysteries What separates AoT from other Shounen ?

Tyrant MUUGEN

呪のろいの王おう
For all the AoT geeks what makes AoT so special to you?

Plot, action, storytelling, character progression?

Generally curious what makes AoT so "great".

explain, i can say plot, tension, twist for a handful of mangas'
Well world twist in that the series goes out of its way to ensure you’re completely misled not just about the state of the world but also the genre of the story for over 60% of the series.

Then boom. The world expands and you suddenly go from suspense based horror action to straight geopolitical thriller.

The only manga thing I can think of that’s kinda similar off the top of my head is Hunter x Hunter dark continent reveal, but even then that was just an expansion, not a complete genre shift.

Tyrant MUUGEN

呪のろいの王おう
Well world twist in that the series goes out of its way to ensure you’re completely misled not just about the state of the world but also the genre of the story for over 60% of the series.

Then boom. The world expands and you suddenly go from suspense based horror action to straight geopolitical thriller.

The only manga thing I can think of that’s kinda similar off the top of my head is Hunter x Hunter dark continent reveal, but even then that was just an expansion, not a complete genre shift.
what about plot is so different outside of this twist?

The very limited amount of cringe gags it's what separates Aot from other shonens

Also characters have some common sense in the way they dress, in other shonen clothes are weird and extravagant to say the least.

I don't know if Aot has the same shonen tropes at the end, but its setting is different...is more "mature"

Tyrant MUUGEN

呪のろいの王おう
The very limited amount of cringe gags it's what separates Aot from other shonens

Also characters have some common sense in the way they dress, in other shonen clothes are weird and extravagant to say the least.

I don't know if Aot has the same shonen tropes at the end, but its setting is different...is more "mature"
So what separates it from BotG, CSM, JJK or Hell's Paradise since these are all mature Shounens?

The intensity of it.
The emotional pain, the violence, the indomitable spirit of the Eldians.
Also the 9 are not too overpowered. They can still be brought down and their powers have very limiting factors.
They can not just be used to dominate an enemy. They have to be used wisely or there is a risk of losing them.

You start from being a complete idiot with a peaceful life to gradually learning how the world works.
Its not a linear progression either. There are clear setbacks and losses too.
Then at the moment where Eren touches Historia it went from struggling to find a path to victory to a clear set of goals for Eren. At that moment how knew what was going to happen and how to achieve it.
Many disliked that about the ending. I did so at first as well. After thinking about it for a while it started to make sense for me. Eren grew distant/apathetic and was pretty much just going through a checklist of what he had to do from there on out.

I'd say what stands out to me in this series is the conflict.

In most shonen the solution to most issues is that you defeat the bad guy and after that the problem is solved, evething is back to normal. However, in AoT it's not that simple. The war is rooted in actual social issue which makes it far more realistic and hit much closer to actual real life ethnic conflicts. Which is why so many people had trouble accepting Eren was in the wrong the whole time. They got used to the stories where the main character can solve everthing by punching his way through obstacles. Meanwhile AoT tried to say this is not how real life political issues should be handled which is respectable in it's own way.

Its violence, mystery and atmosphere.

OP's going on for 3 decades and its mysteries such as void century,dfs or what one piece really is etc etc were written poorly by Oda whiile AoT managed to make almost everyone who read/watched the story from the start to hold their breath and constantly questioning wtf is going on outside of these walls.