Sakamoto Days, Chapter 163: Misfortune

Rate the chapter:

• Total voters
Major fumble by Suzuki. This whole Uzuki/Akao bs has been such a let down so far. The only major villain we had so far turns out to be a constant L taker with a split personality - and that personality is the girl that was friends with the two strongest assassins (apart from Takamura)

I at least know the action with Takamura will be great next week, but as far as storyline goes I lost a lot of interest in this manga

Would have been a lot more intesresting Akao plastic surgery scenario, this split personality thing isn't leading anywhere, at least I am not seeing it if someone can then enlighten me, be my guest.

At least Takamura is back to haul some ass, and hope we get exposition from him.

Really creative way to show change in field of vision, and great panneling to boot
Paneling is amazing indeed.

Major fumble by Suzuki. This whole Uzuki/Akao bs has been such a let down so far. The only major villain we had so far turns out to be a constant L taker with a split personality - and that personality is the girl that was friends with the two strongest assassins (apart from Takamura)

I at least know the action with Takamura will be great next week, but as far as storyline goes I lost a lot of interest in this manga
Yeah, that is what I dislike about Uzuki - that split personality doesn't make any sense imo.

Stated this a long time ago. The split personality thing ruined Uzuki. Now it seems like he's gonna turn good and join Sakamoto and co. against Asaki.

This entire plot is a mess lol. But atleast the action is good😁

First time I've seen Nagumo worried, lol and for good reason.

Ok someone explain this split personality shit to me. Why does Akoa want Uzuki dead?
To switch the personality? B/c she doesn't want to suppress him? He seems to switch when killed instead of dying, which is weird af and the only thing I dislike about this manga.
How tf does it work? Uzuki kills someone and absorbs their personality? Then for some reason instead of dying he switches between them?
I can get around Shin's psychic powers and Nagumo perfect disguises, plus Sakamoto getting thin is simply a manga exaggeration for funny gags, but Uzuki's stick just doesn't make sense and feels annoying.

To switch the personality? B/c she doesn't want to suppress him? He seems to switch when killed instead of dying, which is weird af and the only thing I dislike about this manga.
How tf does it work? Uzuki kills someone and absorbs their personality? Then for some reason instead of dying he switches between them?
I can get around Shin's psychic powers and Nagumo perfect disguises, plus Sakamoto getting thin is simply a manga exaggeration for funny gags, but Uzuki's stick just doesn't make sense and feels annoying.
He wasn't killed though - his organs are flipped so every time people thought they pierced his heart they actually missed (idk the proper term for it tho)

Yeah the Akao personality is lame

Let’s bring back the murderous X personality. They felt like an actual threat

We need first panel vibes

I was apprehensive about how Suzuki would handle Uzuki's supposed mental illness,after the horrible job Oda did with Big Meme.
But just as we can't live in fear of what will happen in future,the same goes for when we enjoy fiction. For you to enjoy a thrilling story,you must be eager to see how the story unfolds.
I read a reader's comment on MangaSee,saying that it's good that the Uzuki/Rion's mystery is getting simple explanations. He's right. Overcomplicating things is what prevents many promising works from being great from start to finish.
What we should do until Uzuki/Rion's mystery is explained in detail,is try to connect the dots with the information we received.
The information Uzuki gave:
-He said he lived enslaved in JAA. He said he was suffering pain,torment,loneliness,and that's like being eternally submerged in dark water. This corroborates the information about separate personalities being formed to deal with unbearable suffering,when a person experiences intense stress or repeated traumatic events for long periods of time.
-He debunked the theory about this mystery being when SD began to become supernatural,with him having absorved Rion's soul. He confirmed that his second personality is something that came from his own mind.
I reread the chapters,stopped to think about the information,and i have a theory that makes sense.
It could be that,Rion discovered the harsh and helpless situation Uzuki and co found themselves in,and decided to help them. Maybe Rion became a big ray of hope for Uzuki during that time,as having such a cheerful and self-reliant person as a ally made his life happier. And then,with the situation that led to her death,he was fully broken,so his mind copied Rion's character as a means of finding strength to move on.
It would be very sad if Suzuki failed to explain this plotline properly. SD is the only current ongoing manga that met all my expectations. I see how the Japanese pop culture has potential,but the authors are struggling to reach that potential,due to problems with their work routine,and difficulty in overcoming the bad stereotypes that plague the anime/manga industry.
I will do as i said. I will be brave and eager to see if SD can break the mold of anime/manga industry,even with the chances that it will end up as another work with potential going down the toilet.
@Nidai_Kitetsu @Jailer @SmokedOut
@Roo @Chrono @GrandmasterChef Zonji
@Devilbat @NikaInParis